Diablo® III

Optimizing the 1.67 APS RF breakpoint

Thanks a lot for the answers.
for 3.
I thought about that. Ideally I can use CtW, SA and archery (like impressa suggested).
Then, without NS, the discipline management becomes an issue. To do that, I think I have to slow down the Hatred consumption rate...

The video link show the scary elites for my DH so far..
(again, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suJRtRLt9xo )
They move fast, knock me back in turns and I can never keep my channels.

without gloom snapshot, i don't have lifesteal...
once I have my discipline all out for gloom and "backup plan", i am dead (i cant run faster than them... :( )
Reply Quote
What sort of DPS do you need for this to be viable in MP10?

I am at 211k, and run out of Discipline trying to stay alive. Perhaps, I need more DPS for more life steal?
Reply Quote
Hi all. Barb here, looking to get his dh under way. Rapid fire seems very appealing, but before I gear up for this build, I have a few questions about it. Please excuse my inexperience.

1. since RF doesn't snapshot the hatred regen of night bane (only the life steal of shadow power), after 5 seconds you will start losing hatred, and eventually have to recast SP. But if you do, it won't be snapshot any more, so you'll have to recast RF to extend the life steal, and that takes another 20 hatred. How does one keep up the hatred? The calculations in the OP allow for channelling RF but not recasting it.

2. how much hatred does RF channelling use at 1.667 aps? OP says 10.91, a followup says 12, and I would have thought it was 1.667 * 6 = 10. Getting this right would seem crucial, as it determines how long you can channel for.

3. what do you lose by having SP:night bane instead of SP:gloom? I mean, I know you lose the damage reduction, but how important is that in practice? People speak of using smoke screen, but that won't last for more than 1.5s.

4. would it be fair to say that most dh's are uncomfortable with this build's low attack speed? I see the need for it, to reduce the hatred usage, and allow the ias stats to be used elsewhere, but most of you are advocating at least 2.01 aps. What are the benefits of hitting the higher bps? For barbs anyway, there's such thing as 'enough' aps. Beyond that, some gameplay becomes easier, but you have to compromise somehow to get there, usually on ehp.

Thanks for helping a newbie.
Reply Quote
1. since RF doesn't snapshot the hatred regen of night bane (only the life steal of shadow power), after 5 seconds you will start losing hatred, and eventually have to recast SP. But if you do, it won't be snapshot any more, so you'll have to recast RF to extend the life steal, and that takes another 20 hatred. How does one keep up the hatred? The calculations in the OP allow for channelling RF but not recasting it.

you can re-cast SP-NightBane to gain some hatred w/o lifting your snapshotted-life stealing RF

3. what do you lose by having SP:night bane instead of SP:gloom? I mean, I know you lose the damage reduction, but how important is that in practice? People speak of using smoke screen, but that won't last for more than 1.5s.

stack enough EHP so you wouldn't rely on the mitigation, the snap shotted life steal should be good enough at 300k EHP @ 350k dps, as long as there are mobs around to life steal.
Reply Quote
View profile
When you use rapid fire, it creates a single object with various properties like min/max damage, but also includes life steal. So as long aa you used shadow power before you start channelling, you will keep your life steal as long as you keep channelling

Not sure the exact figure for how much hatred it uses. Bat companion is usually enough. Use vengence and ur very safe with hatred management

Gloom maybe needed if you know for example you cannot survive a molten explosion unless u gloom/smoke screen/gtfo

2.01 has 25% more ticks than 1.67 aps (basically 25% more dps). However you need 28 more ias on ur gear to achieve this.

Imo if ur really rich, 2.01 aps ia better. If not, 1.67 or 1.82 aps might be better. 1.82 aps is only for bombardment.

Generally 1.67 aps lets u be more tanky

Hope that helped ^.^ also having a gearing service u can check out
Edited by VocaloidNyan#1582 on 8/29/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I wish I had read this a month ago. It looks like I'm 22 IAS over what I need to be. That opens up some options.
Reply Quote
View profile
You can get 5 more ias on your gear to get the 2.0001 aps breakpoint with your 11 ias manticore as another route.
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 11:14 AMPosted by jet
I wish I had read this a month ago. It looks like I'm 22 IAS over what I need to be. That opens up some options.

But you aren't only using Rapid Fire, nor the bombardment rune. If you drop your ApS, Thunder ball is going to do less damage per second if you can't make up for a lot of the missing raw damage like CHD/Dext/mmD. Let alone your RF could do 365% more damage if you RAISED your ApS by 5%. This build is damn good for what it is, but RF is a really versatile skill. Personally I think if you are using RF with a generator you should be using the 2.01 for all runes. You can still perma channel with punishment+ns or vengeance and if you choose to move away from RF, you're still at a good ApS for other skills/builds.

You should read Nubtro's guide on the RF Breakpoints:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569329357

** I type to much, Nyan beat me to the punch. But yea, what Nyan said **
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 10/24/2013 11:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Only 5...a Mempo with crit chance and high dex or Prowlers with the same. Either way I take at least a 30 point hit on dex....still, make that a 60 point hit and d3rawr says that would be an additional 330kdps in RF....that is a bunch of damage.

[I swear, one of these nights I'm not even going to glance at the AH. I'm just going to go in and hunt demons].
Reply Quote
View profile
Correction*

You can get 4 more ias on your gear.

Studying midterms while lurking forums is bad. lol
Reply Quote
Thanks, good luck on midterms.
Reply Quote
Picked up some fairly low cost Prowlers. Holy cow RF puts out some damage and burns through the Hatred. Bit of a hit on EHP, which I'll have to work on.
Reply Quote
I cant do it :(

I tried both builds in the OP, and I die like 10times each time I try to farm Act 1 keys.

My biggest problem is the split second I get knockback, frozen, vortexed, I get killed so fast I don't have time to react because Im surrounded by mobs, I cant even SS outta there.

Helpful tips to improve???
Reply Quote
12/05/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Bonesaw90
I cant do it :(

I tried both builds in the OP, and I die like 10times each time I try to farm Act 1 keys.

My biggest problem is the split second I get knockback, frozen, vortexed, I get killed so fast I don't have time to react because Im surrounded by mobs, I cant even SS outta there.

Helpful tips to improve???
You shouldn't be dying that quickly with that eHP. Learn to time your SS.
Against vortex, keep your eyes on the elite. The moment you see a white vortex casting effect on the elite, press SS, or just SS the moment you land in front of the elite, quickly recast SP and RF again.
Against frozen, time your SS to the split second before the frozen orbs explode, which is fairly easy to do with SS:Lingering Fog cuz you have 0.5 second extra so you can SS slightly sooner to play it safe.
For knockback, I wouldn't even bother with SS with that eHP. Just land, recast SP and then resume RF, unless of course, you land in a molten explosion radius or near the apex of an arcane laser.
If your problem lies in resource management, consider dropping MfD for a hatred generator like Bola:Bitter Pill for a more forgiving gameplay until you get more comfortable with the build and find yourself falling back on the generator less.
Reply Quote
I use RF with a Calamity and I love it. :)
Reply Quote
holy cow this thread has over 4k views! o.0
Reply Quote
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 12/6/2013 3:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/06/2013 01:11 PMPosted by TastySouP

??
Reply Quote
Posted by TastySouP

??

lol >.<

I made a pointless comment but 15 minutes had passed so i couldn't delete it ^.^
Reply Quote
Bumpity bump.

Just leveled a DH to 60 to try this build (didn't want to reskill + regear my existing DH). One question: if the aim is to constantly channel RF, what does one do about elite affixes that tend to break channeling, chiefly Knockback and Vortex? Is the idea to use Nightstalker to regain enough discipline to keep Smokescreen up continually?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]