Diablo® III

Sleet Storm FAQ and Checklist

Hey all you arcane junkies!!

Picked up on this thread a few days ago and decided to give this "build" a go. Loving it so far, Rafazar your guide/links were most helpful thx a ton, but as I was out mowing the lawn today I got to thinking....

Seems like this build does focus on some micromanagement as you've got to move around a lot, yet the appropriate spec seems to be set on 12% movement speed. Hmm what could be a possible solution to this issue?

Well then my noggin went to work and I was wanting some feedback about this theory

Wouldn't it be a good idea to maybe lose our rare pants for some high Vit inna's temperance to better synergize with the "build"? Think about it, if your going the 2H route, you want your atk speed low right, ok now you can lose a piece with atk speed (mine being gloves) for something with int/vit/cc/cd/ar. Then you can craft some mean bracers and on top of all that, those innas are giving us our 24% ms and an extra cc to help proc that CM we all love so much!!

Or am I theorycrafting too much and the loss of eHP would be too detrimental for a SS "build"??
Wouldn't it be a good idea to maybe lose our rare pants for some high Vit inna's temperance to better synergize with the "build"? Think about it, if your going the 2H route, you want your atk speed low right, ok now you can lose a piece with atk speed (mine being gloves) for something with int/vit/cc/cd/ar. Then you can craft some mean bracers and on top of all that, those innas are giving us our 24% ms and an extra cc to help proc that CM we all love so much!!

Or am I theorycrafting too much and the loss of eHP would be too detrimental for a SS "build"??

I hate the 12% MS as well but you're really stuck, things with movement speed seem to have attack speed... Id rather a really nice pair of lacuni's than a pair of vit innas myself.

I have really nice vit inna's in my bank for when i'm playing on lower mp's.
06/21/2013 12:12 PMPosted by TheChosenWon

If you can afford the mitigation loss, high Vit Inna's are a good choice if you want 24% MS in the build. But it's hard to give up potentially 80+ AR and all that armor (and possibly some Vit if you have high Vit rares like I do). The Intelligence loss can suck, too, if you have other sources of damage besides SS in your build. SS tends to be the only thing in the build that benefits from IAS, so you might lose damage on EB, Storm Armor, Reactive, etc., and maybe break even on SS going from a good pair of rare pants to high Vit Inna's.
Just got a decent skorn to try out this build. (Thanks freakinjitsu!) Sounds like fun.
Wouldn't a beast doom hammer be a better BiS than Skorn?
06/21/2013 09:47 PMPosted by TheChosenWon

For damage, maybe. Depends on three things:

Mit / Build / APoC

If you have sufficient mit, you can get away with the lower lifesteal.

Your build might have to include things you don't like, such as Blood Magic, in order to make 1h work.

If you need 20 APoC, you're not getting that from your weapon, so that's kinda limiting your helmet choices.
06/21/2013 09:47 PMPosted by TheChosenWon

A doom hammer with similar stats to a Skorn (min/max, %Dmg, LS, CHD, Stat, socket) would be better in that it is slower and would make APoC costs even lower. You could then stack more IAS for dps before running into sustained channelling issues. The problem is finding such a beast, and a comparable dps level to what Skorn often rolls. Skorn dominates these types of discussions mainly because it's readily available.

-dolynick
Guess i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one :D

My plans for progression:

1)Lose the iAS on the gloves, craft for AR
2)Get a skull grasp for more RoF cc, hot swap SG to SoJ for elites
3)FIND THAT DOOM HAMMER !@#$%
4)Keep crafting bracers for some PuY and ViT

-_- this better be worth it
Wait, Doom Hammer is a 2h, right?

Meh, good luck finding a better one thank Skorn.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/36120788

Getting there... :P

I should revisit Sleet Storm again. The last time I played it the build was still "under construction."
Is that yours? Nice! Can still get better Skorns, but nice!
06/22/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Rafazafar

That's the problem. Skorn just has such good base rolls that RNG on doom hammers can't compete 99.99999% of the time.

I searched the AHs out of curiosity and there are some ok ones, but better Skorns were readily available.

I'm not sure if it would be worth all the trouble, but if you did find the doom hammer, you could stack 11% more IAS before you hit 1.00 APS. So if you find a doom hammer with a little less damage, as long as it's within 11% of your Skorn alternative's dps, it would still be better - if you took advantage of the IAS factor.

-dolynick
So if I did find a doom hammer worth using, how much iAS can I get away with? My plan is to use my current witching hour with 9% and find a skull grasp with 6%, is 15% added onto the doom hammers .90 aps going to put me to the next tick frame? Been running this build on mp10 with my current spec and the only way I can keep the ss channeled for prolonged periods is to use energy armor/prismatic armor + frost nova/deep freeze to get RoF cc to like 70%+ so I can get apoc to proc as much as possible from the one source I can utilize the affix with. I wanted to use explosive blast but I just cant pop it over and over even with the unleashed rune. (I could be more conservative with EB to not drain my AP) Granted I could use EB if I wanted to sacrifice energy armor for ice armor and change glass cannon to astral presence but my dmg drops so much that I swear I don't think its worth it at mp10. I dunno maybe some more testing might change my mind. What are your guys' take on this issue?
Edited by TheChosenWon#1788 on 6/22/2013 4:12 PM PDT
I hope you don't mind me bumping this. Still getting some questions which are in here.

I dunno how long people have tested the build, but advice is go for 1H/Source, running thru mp10 4players solo as buttercake. Try for 70-80% CC with Nova and just go 1h much faster killspeed :)

I dunno how long people have tested the build, but advice is go for 1H/Source, running thru mp10 4players solo as buttercake. Try for 70-80% CC with Nova and just go 1h much faster killspeed :)

Loaded statement. If you don't gear for a 2h, then your 2h wont be as effective. You need really high CC and CD. Reactive armor seems more effective with higher lifesteal and does a lot of damage, btw.
True, but with around 80% CC and 4-500% CD and the speed of a 1H (And btw tal rasha 4 set awesomeness), and Shocking Aspect instead of Reactive armor. Have proven to be much more effective for me. Just my opinions though, Skorn build feels like the budget version. Which is great for it's cost, prob the most so in the game.
My SS build/gear is nothing like what's recommended in this FAQ, but it's working great at any MP and is a blast to play. I'm surprised to see barely any mention of Deep Freeze (more APoC, DPS boost) or Arcane Dynamo in this thread. Even with just 9 APoC I do just fine w/ relatively little LL use, and it's very easy to gather 5 stacks for a 75% bust against elites.
Edited by sabrewulf#1159 on 6/27/2013 7:21 AM PDT
06/27/2013 05:06 AMPosted by Qlash
True, but with around 80% CC and 4-500% CD and the speed of a 1H (And btw tal rasha 4 set awesomeness), and Shocking Aspect instead of Reactive armor. Have proven to be much more effective for me. Just my opinions though, Skorn build feels like the budget version. Which is great for it's cost, prob the most so in the game.

I don't know - I remember the exact same discussion going on in the WD forums using CoB. Turned out the much higher dps one hander actually cleared content SLOWER than the lower dps skorn (I think the much higher ability to tank + the easier cost of channeling the skill offset the sheet dps of the one hander.)

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but attack speed won't increase the DS or EB damage.

I have run both a 250k skorn setup, and a 300k one hander, and they seemed pretty similar, so I mainly use the skorn for the double life steal. Maybe with godly gear it would be different.
06/27/2013 07:19 AMPosted by sabrewulf
My SS build/gear is nothing like what's recommended in this FAQ, but it's working great at any MP and is a blast to play. I'm surprised to see barely any mention of Deep Freeze (more APoC, DPS boost) or Arcane Dynamo in this thread. Even with just 9 APoC I do just fine w/ relatively little LL use, and it's very easy to gather 5 stacks for a 75% bust against elites.

I saw some discussion about that the other day. Came down to the "while you are casting LL, I am dpsing" sort of thing.
I do love how LL and AD take the whole attack speed problem completely away, so I could see it be very viable.
I just wish it was a little more obvious when you were in AD "beast" mode. I also wish knockback, nightmare, frozen, and vortex didn't mess it up so badly. With that many terrible affixes for AD, it actually seems uncommon to hit a pack that doesn't have one of them.
Edited by GunnersDream#1109 on 6/27/2013 8:18 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]