Diablo® III

HoTA Barb Handbook: Soloing Ubers

Greetings guys, been working on putting together this little guide to show how I approach MP10 Ubers. I'll be going in depth on my techniques and tricks I use to take them down as well as properly positioning them and how to make them do what you want them to do so you can fight them on your own terms.

Before we get started lets cover the basics of what you will generally want before attempting this. This will apply to both 2H and dual wield barbs

500 or better resistance to all elements on gear
5% or better Life Steal
30% or better crit chance on gear
50k or better health
5500 or better armor

Meeting these standards will make this more practical and less frustrating on your part and not force you into using crutches like War Cry/Impunity or Overpower/Crushing Advance. Also if you're a 2H barb with a Skorn try for at minimum 32% attack speed bonus on gear as this will land you just above the 1.56 APS breakpoint when buffed in WoTB.

Now for the build used there are 2 popular versions most HoTA barbs use for Ubers.

the build I use and will be using for this guide:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#acZQPR!ZXY!bZZZcY

A variation with Sprint: This one makes farming NV stacks a little faster at the expense of ubers a little slower. But does add great maneuverability for ubers too.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#acZUPR!ZXY!bZZZcY

Those are what most people are going to use for MP10 uber if your gear meets the recommended minimums I mentioned above.

Now if your gear is just below those thresholds you can try it and perhaps try modifying your build to compensate for the shortcomings on gear with a build like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#acZkPR!ZeY!bZZccY

That build will buff both elemental resistances and give you an armor buff while making fury management a bit easier. the trade off however is a lot of top end damage. Fret not however as this guide will still apply if that's the build you have to use.

OK, now on to the meat and potatoes of the guide.

Siege Breaker & Kulle
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRk12g2Bc1M

This is the fight I see a lot of barbs have trouble with and it can be quite the reality check if your gear isn't up to standards as you will get killed fast if you get grabbed by Siege and Kulle decides to crash some rocks on your head. For this fight you need to pay attention to rend and watch if it crits, if it does you're good to go and can begin pummeling Siege until you need to apply rend again. In general in this fight I do not chase Kulle around unless he presents himself an easy target. I focus on Siege and only hit Kulle when he's near. However I did just for the sake of illustration show you how to make Kulle disappear for a few seconds. Watch at about the 30 second mark where I break off from Siege just to hit Kulle once. If Kulle is about a screens length away or hasn't taken damage for a few seconds, if you hit him it will make him disappear. This is a trick you can use if you want him to vanish for a few seconds and give you a little time without rocks on your head or fireballs at your feet. Also after that point take note of how I try to position myself so that each of my HoTA swings are hitting them both. This helps with not only taking them down faster but for fury generation.

Speaking of fury generation Siege is a great tool at your disposal to generate fury thanks to his reflect damage affix. I use this to my advantage after the 2nd time I get picked up to rebuild my WoTB timer by attacking him and then spamming battlerage to dump fury so I can regain it and renew the timer. When its down to just Kulle you don't want to avoid anything. This also helps with fury generation since all incoming damage generates fury. Just make sure you have rend up or are able to tank some falling rocks and a few fireballs at your feet.

Skeleton King & Maghda
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-5X82xCFI

This fight is quite a pushover if you know what you're doing. First a few things to understand about this fight.

1) Skeleton King will always teleport to you if you don't chase him
2) While he puts his hand on the ground and begins to summon his minions you can aim him where you want him to teleport to. All you have to do is stand opposite of where you want him to go.
3) Maghda only takes damage in 1/4ths of her HP bar, you must let her shield after each 25% of her HP bar is gone. (this is for you Echoing Fury toting barbs that like to keep hitting her and fearing her causing her animation to reset and delaying her from shielding)
4) While Maghda is in her shield she is far less prone to clutter the field with arcane beams and her cloud of bugs does less damage.

So knowing these things I ignore Skelly at the beginning of the fight and chase Maghda into the corner. This forces Skelly to teleport right where I want him so I can hit them both and get Maghda in her shield while taking down Skelly. After that you notice he does his little walk and then starts to summon minions. Since I don't want him teleporting across the screen I immediately position myself on the opposite side of where I want him to go. This forces him right into the corner for easy pickings. He tries to get out again but I hold my ground and force him to teleport again right where I want him a few inches away and finish him off. After that Maghda is a push over.

Rak & Ghom
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09FTH15p4c

This fight is often ignored because it's by far the easiest of the 3 to do. But there are still a few nifty tricks you can use to your advantage to make a simple fight even easier. By now most of you have seen my ability to be able to pin Rak to the pillar to his left at the start of the fight for the duration of the fight.

Seen here for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk2JFDt3UL0

If you walk to that spot my barb is at the beginning of the fight and only allow for just enough room that Ghom can get between you and the pillar it causes something funny with the game AI and Rak appears to think he's pinned against a wall and thus does not run away and just spins and attacks you making it super easy to stack them both and take them down very fast.

However for kicks I wanted to show that it's not the only place this works (OK sue me I'm showing off a bit) In my reference video here you will notice that I let him out of his typical spot I like to keep him only to pin him to the opposite pillar. After a little bit I decide to let him out of that spot only to pin him to the bottom pillar. This is just showing you that you if you mess up the positioning at the start of the fight don't worry about it because you can pin him really wherever you want him.
Edited by Death#1408 on 6/21/2013 2:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Taught me a thing or two :)
Reply Quote
Excellent Death.

Good tips!

Personally that skele trick is going to help so much.
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 6/21/2013 2:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The master spills the beans. You make pinning rak look so easy.

Good job writing this up, it's definitely going to help people at all skill and gear levels.
Reply Quote
Ya, the Skele thing is pretty cool too. Keen observation. I've never noticed a pattern there.

Btw, I think I'm gonna make a case for warcry instead of OP/KS for all the scrubs out there running less than 5% LS. >_>

Did some testing and using warcry, I can facetank Siege hota'ing away even if rend does not crit. Hota is still at 100% cc and I only lose marginal damage with less crit rends and bashes and of course, the 160% weapon damage from OP every few seconds. Not optimal, I agree, but I was critting for 4mil plus fully buffed, which is still better than if I were using the classic build, but with bloodthirst instead of berserker rage.

Either that or I go for Kule trying to keep both him and siege rended as often as possible as I've shown in a vid on another of Death's threads using the sprint variation while carrying 3 dead.
Reply Quote
Great guide, thanks for this.
Reply Quote
Good guide Death :)

But i dont fully agree on the "how to do Siege Breaker & Kulle" part.

In my opinion you should start of the fight with attacking Siegebreaker, keep at it until Kulle spawns his first bubble on top of you.

Then you should focus your attack on Kulle instead, this will make Siegebreaker charge you, instead of grabbing you...

When he have done that, you can go back to focus Siegebreaker.

Pros and cons:

+You avoid getting picked up one time atleast.
+When Siegebreaker have charged you while attacking Kulle, they are standing pretty close together, so it should be easy to hitting both at the same time.
+If you are lucky, you get Kulle pinned between Siegebreaker and the wall, which make Kulle tend to teleport to the same spot over and over again. (Rak & Ghom mechanic)

-You lose some effective dps time when you run over to Kulle.

Video showcasing the start: (Siegebreker + Kulle fight start at ~35sec)

Diablo 3: (OLD) World Record Uberbosses Solo Speedkill in 2min and 17.333 sec @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSVpnCr18js

Hope i managed to explain what i meant in a way that everyone could understand, if not, just ask..
(I don't speak english natively:)

*edit*

One other little trick in the Skelle + Mag fight:

When Magdha spawns her "Thrall of the witch" guys, you should get alittle distance between you and her, and hug one of sides.. Left or right don't matter, as long as you don't stand right in-front of her.

This will ensure that the minons don't get spawned all around you.. And you can take them down with as few HotA hits as possible..

Will try to illustrate with two pictures :)

http://i.imgur.com/0w61d85.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/O15mHpZ.jpg

Dont make fun of my mad paint skillzzzzzz xD
Edited by Det0x#2856 on 6/21/2013 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Should also add in that unless you have 6% LS at least, you have to rend ZK whenever you can as Siege barely heals you.
Reply Quote
O_o

Excellent guide! The vids are impressive and insightful, especially concerning Siege/Kulle. That is the only mp10 Uber I can't solo atm, but I'm looking forward to trying again this weekend with the guide.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a Skorn this weekend as well. :D
Reply Quote
@ Det0x, this guide wasn't aimed at the more advanced players or how to more quickly dispatch them but just a general guide on how to take them down with minimal effort. Yes I'm aware of that strategy too but with it fury management is a bit tougher and I wanted to keep this simple for those that may be having issues as a guide to maybe get them over the hump. But I appreciate your tips just the same bud :)

@ ISmkPotatoes, did you bother to read the recommendations on gear?
Edited by Death#1408 on 6/21/2013 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Death

Basically you're telling me that since you said it, it's impossible to vary from it thus I must not have read anything?
Reply Quote

Basically you're telling me that since you said it, it's impossible to vary from it thus I must not have read anything?

No, what I'm saying is that in my gear recommendations I state I recommend 5% or better life steal. Less trolling more reading please.
Edited by Death#1408 on 6/21/2013 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote

No, what I'm saying is that in my gear recommendations I state I recommend 5% or better life steal. Less trolling more reading please.

I wasn't trolling. In fact, believe it or not, you are trolling me. Just because you recommend something, doesn't mean people are going to follow it. Just like religion. People recommend it, people definitely don't follow it. Also, by "it", I figured it was obviously implying the subject you were implying to me, LS. You tell me to do more reading while you can't use common sense to comprehend my sentence?

Oh FFS, don't you have anything better to do than to try and ruin someone else's work they put into this forum? What have you done around here lately?

I specifically mention 5% LS as a minimum recommendation for this guide. The same way they can elect to ignore my 5% LS recommendation they can ignore your "recommendation". the point I'm making is that I covered life steal in my recommendations list, but I can't force anyone to use them that's why they are "recommendations".
Edited by Death#1408 on 6/21/2013 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I wasn't trolling. In fact, believe it or not, you are trolling me. Just because you recommend something, doesn't mean people are going to follow it. Just like religion. People recommend it, people definitely don't follow it. Also, by "it", I figured it was obviously implying the subject you were implying to me, LS. You tell me to do more reading while you can't use common sense to comprehend my sentence?

EDIT:
Not everyone is going to follow your rules. At least include some sort of possible variation to your guide. Jesus..

He stated clearly that these are recommendations, not something you absolutely have to follow.

If you don't like his recommendations, all the power to you. The only person mentioning "rules" here is you. And he's the one trolling?
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 6/21/2013 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
your skills are very similar to mine and this guide is fairly correct as i been soloing uber also for a long time

just an addition to seige and kulle i have a trick there also i use enchantress with maximus to distract kulle it helps alot..

if im gonna charge siege and kulle i swap gear with crafted vit high AR.. so basically just swap gears on this round for max survivability
Reply Quote
Someone besides me using a Litany!
Reply Quote
Death, what HOTA reduction did you use in your videos,
and what bash/HOTA ratio did you go with to keep punish & wrath up?
Reply Quote
Very good op. Tryin to get my barb up for ubers. You've helped a lot on a couple issues I ran across regarding my build. Tks much....
Reply Quote
@ FinalForm I have a -4 HoTA SoJ in my stash I used for this. HoTA reduction is nice to have but not a necessity if you can't afford it. As for rotation ubers is never an optimal situation in which a formula like that will work. my personal optimal rotation is 6 HoTA, rend, bash. This rotation keeps me in the bash buff and allows for enough fury dump to maintain WoTB. However like I said in ubers this hardly ever work out like that and you must do it by "feel" and learn to identify what buffs you have active by knowing your damage ranges and then adjust your rotation accordingly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]