Diablo® III

Soul Harvest still necessary?

I think I really didn't like my old Witch Doctor for many reasons, but a lot of buffs to crappy stuff has helped make this class better. But there was one thing far from crap that irritated me.

Is Soul Harvest still necessary due to its ridiculous power in almost every build?
Reply Quote
Yes.
Reply Quote
Strictly speaking, no... I guess it isn't necessary. But, that being said, I have never seriously entertained the notion of dropping it from my setup.
Reply Quote
Mmk, I see some builds remove it for extra CC if they aren't entirely DPS based. So at least it isn't every build.

I was reading about a thorns pet build, but the discussion was 4 months ago.

Are pet thorn-based builds still viable / were they buffed? For viable I'm just talking MP1-5 since that's where they were sitting for viability, not necessarily MP10.
Edited by Rawrcake#1959 on 6/21/2013 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
soul harvest (vengeful spirit) cast it when surrounded by 5 monsters or higher, instant damage + instant full health when you have life steal + my 200k unbuff dps will become 240k, better than pierce the veil, soul harvest is really useless in uberboss, but very useful in leveling or farming
Edited by Kalokuh#6924 on 6/22/2013 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was reading about a thorns pet build, but the discussion was 4 months ago.

Are pet thorn-based builds still viable / were they buffed? For viable I'm just talking MP1-5 since that's where they were sitting for viability, not necessarily MP10.

As someone who used to run a thorns build, I can tell you very candidly: they are only "viable" in the strictest sense of the word. I beat Inferno with it before there were even MPs, so, yes, you could beat MP1 with it. That being said, it is not efficient by any stretch of the imagination... it's amusing, when used in conjunction with leeching beasts and fierce loyalty, but it is probably the slowest method of farming you could imagine, aside from maybe a Toad of Hugeness build. Even with +thorns gear on every single item, you're looking at a total of about 20-25k, give or take... in the grand scheme of things, that's really just peanuts. It doesn't add much (if any) value to a build because it necessitates at least 1 wasted passive skill slot and 1 active skill slot. Until thorns does %dmg instead of fixed numbers, I would steer clear of it unless you're doing it for the lulz.
Edited by Hemogoblin#1953 on 6/21/2013 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't think I have ever been able to drop the SW/SH combo off my bar ever. Those two moves are so nice to have at any time.

Actually I take that back...I drop SH when I do ubers since you will never have 5 stacks. Except maybe during the Mahgda fight when there are adds. I replace it with hex usually or horrify: frightening aspect.
Reply Quote
I tried dropping SH for LL dogs for even more mit...but couldn't get used to it...I might still test it out more though...
Reply Quote
There are builds that don't require it. For example the Rakimallah build which relies on skills which generate an obscene amount of health globes to keep GF maxed out at all times. It's still a build that relies on a buff but it isn't Soul Harvest at least. The build also use dogs + sacrifice to keep your mana full and has the added bonus of generating more health globes.

The build should be linked in the sticky at the top of the forums but you can also check out his profile here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rakimallah-1875/hero/850438

Unfortunately he was banned after the gold duping stuff, and although all evidence points to his innocence, Blizzard never unbanned him :'[
Reply Quote
06/22/2013 11:56 AMPosted by nikt
Unfortunately he was banned after the gold duping stuff, and although all evidence points to his innocence, Blizzard never unbanned him :'[

I am strongly against players ruining the in game economy with gold duping, so I am just a bit curious.... what evidence pointed him towards being innocent? How did he get in trouble in the first place if he was innocent?

Anyways, on topic, thanks all for the replies :)

That health globe + gruesome feast build is really clever, I am liking the look of it.

My next question: Is Dire Bats still the most convenient + effective damaging attack, or have things been balanced around? I remember Zombie Bears being great as well, they just weren't as efficient / as practical to position / use.
Reply Quote
concerning Rakimallah:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770357994

There's a lot of information there and in the thread linked in the first post. I'll let you decide what you think of him, but we only know one side of the story. All I know is that he was a friendly and helpful presence on the WD forums.

On topic though, Zombie Bears have not changed at all, it is still a great skill. However with the change to fire bats, a lot of WDs have made the transition to Cloud of Bats. Dire Bats are now unfortunately particularly bad with the change to how fire bats uses mana. Another fire bats rune that gained some popularity is Plague Bats due to its range and powerful damage over time effect.
Reply Quote
Well that Raki thing is sure a huge mess. I'd be interested to hear what happened, but with lack of posting, it sounds like he quit?

I noticed how Dire Bats now uses mana. It's ridiculous, lol.

Once I get to a higher level, I'll likely run bears since I am unimpressed by Cloud of Bats's range
Reply Quote
06/22/2013 01:18 PMPosted by Rawrcake
Once I get to a higher level, I'll likely run bears since I am unimpressed by Cloud of Bats's range
The key to Cloud of bats is to use Locust swarm pestilence to gather and attract large hordes of mobs to your spiral of fiery death and then exterminate them all at once. It's actually quite fun wiping out a few hundred mobs in a few seconds.
Reply Quote
i run a thorn dr in mp 4 mostly....she handles it rather well
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]