Diablo® III

so im a scrub because....

Thanks for linking that post, lots of good info!
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 07:57 AMPosted by Professor
I'm not a teacher ;) I'm an engineer.

A joke inspired by your name....
People like me - teachers - are a dying breed, unfortunately...
Reply Quote
I was a teacher, then I got laid off. Went back and became engineer instead.
Reply Quote
View profile
I thought you were a professor ;)
Reply Quote
Should I change my name to something else?
Reply Quote
View profile
Engineer#1337
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 06:47 AMPosted by Professor
No, I don't want no scrubs, a scrub is a barb who don't get no love from me, hanging out the passenger side of your best friends ride, tryin to holla at me.

lol exactly what was running through my head when I saw this thread.

Bloodthirst is okay IMHO. I'm militantly opposed to war cry in any and all circumstances, but bloodthirst is a little more forgivable.

The problem is that zerker rage and brawler are unreliable in uptime, and both take a lot of care to maximize. I used to play with my character tab open, but since have just stopped caring. I like having the slot open for unforgiving/superstition/animosity at times too.

You still have to be very careful about using a witching hour belt. I'd say 95% of the time or higher its probably not worth it, even if you pretend brawler and berserker rage don't exist. And if I were you, I probably wouldn't. Less than 500 AR despite having a stormshield is on the low side, and your witching hour itself is so low on strength that an IK belt will probably be pretty competitive DPS-wise, not to mention that it'd give you nearly 140 AR more, which is a tremendous amount.

If you try to match the same level of resistance with a witching hour, you have to spend billions on top-tier trifecta IK irons (which will probably still lose to your rare gloves in DPS anyways), and on a witching hour with strength, vit, and AR.

It's for this reason that I clung onto an IK belt even with my LS skorn for the longest time. I ended up having to spend around a billion overhauling my gear to accommodate a witching hour while still keeping the same EHP that I had with the IK. I ended up with around 15k DPS unbuffed higher, and lost my rend bonus, +15 fury, and 3% LS. I still don't feel like it was worth it, but my wizard needs my inna's, and seeing 2.5m crits is nice.

If I were a dual wielder or a shield user, I'd then also have to make up 3% LS somehow. Maybe it'd be as simple as switching to bloodthirst, but the worse possibility is the one that you're in- having to stack LS on your weapon. Not only is this gimping your current weapon DPS tremendously versus what you could have gotten for the same price had the weapon not had LS, it also locks your upgrade path into only searching for weapons with LS.

If you look narrowly at the sheet DPS gains you get from blindly switching an IK belt to a witching hour, and disregard the defenses that you're losing, sure, it gives you a bigger number.

But if you look at the big picture and consider what you can get with a given amount of gold, assuming you want the same amount of lifesteal and AR with both, the IK belt is going to win out decisively in terms of DPS, particularly because it enables you to use much better gloves and weapons, not to mention the significantly higher strength and vit it gives you, putting less pressure on the rest of your gear.

This applies less to the high rollers with the godly gear. When you're at the ceiling, witching hour is the only way to break it, but for the rest of us, it's usually a bad idea that doesn't deliver nearly as much as it looks like it would.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 6/21/2013 8:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 08:31 AMPosted by LegitBeastin
Engineer#1337

Good idea;) can I pick the numbers after the name?
Reply Quote
Why not use both wh and zeker rage/brawler? You have the ls on the weapon, which should be sufficient. I know ar is a little low, but for general farming I would think you'd be okay.
Reply Quote
View profile
Ar is no issue, I'll Eat arcane beams and bathe in Des pools all day, I move if I kill 3 or more Molten monsters at once, or if you put horde Bg mobs with the above affixes. Losing the crit damage hurts because I'm already really low on that.

Dropping the wh will lower my tdps 120k or so, pretty big drop IMO. Since survival really isn't an issue, seems wh> ik in MY case. I'm also 550 AR and 650+ arcane, Phys res.

I Do use brawler and is great, my build is my "glassy" mp8 DE farming one. But if I had to choose between wh or brawler, wh gets my vote:P
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 6/21/2013 9:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
"People still use Bloodthirst?" - Nived2013
Reply Quote
Ar is no issue, I'll Eat arcane beams and bathe in Des pools all day, I move if I kill 3 or more Molten monsters at once, or if you put horde Bg mobs with the above affixes. Losing the crit damage hurts because I'm already really low on that.

Dropping the wh will lower my tdps 120k or so, pretty big drop IMO. Since survival really isn't an issue, seems wh> ik in MY case. I'm also 550 AR and 650+ arcane, Phys res.

l2mp10 belial bro

(Still haven't had the balls to give it a shot, picked up a nice pair of prowlers last night to bump my hp pool up some, but I don't feel like going in there with less than 70k)

FWIW, the point is that normally you'd make up the crit damage in your weapon by dropping LS from it, the IAS would come from lacunis, and ultimately you'd end up with 2 more slots of AR, and higher strength.

But crafted gear forces people to make weird choices, like using IK boots.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 6/21/2013 9:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
RK went to the Cryper n Prof school of shield barbs :)
Reply Quote
Drama? Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.....

:)
Reply Quote
View profile

l2mp10 belial bro

(Still haven't had the balls to give it a shot, picked up a nice pair of prowlers last night to bump my hp pool up some, but I don't feel like going in there with less than 70k)

you got me there lol. He's a beast, I was going to switch to DW and try him this weekend.
Reply Quote
The last time I killed him, I had about half the sheet DPS I have now, and slightly lower EHP...but even still, bad memories. I don't want any repair bills...

We are allowed to use rend, right? Or is it pure hota facetanking?

I might need to pull out my IK belt myself...
Reply Quote
View profile
The last time I killed him, I had about half the sheet DPS I have now, and slightly lower EHP...but even still, bad memories. I don't want any repair bills...

We are allowed to use rend, right? Or is it pure hota facetanking?

I might need to pull out my IK belt myself...

YEah rend is allowed. I tried with 75k life, my ik belt, another slot of 70 ar on my ammy and bloodthirst as a passive still got walloped :) gl!
Reply Quote
:(

Looks like DPS will reign king here. I suspect the rate of his damage is too high to pull this off with midrange DPS even with high defenses.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 6/21/2013 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You're complete garbage! You should be using pound of flesh, otherwise, you're just uncool.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]