Diablo® III

How do you HC fans bear it

Valar Morghulis.
Reply Quote
Valar Disconnectus
Reply Quote
Lost my lvl60 wiz to a DC.....wore black in her honor for 2 weeks.....re-rolled and here we go again! HC is a different beast from SC.....there are consequences and I hate it, yet I love it!
Reply Quote
Actually, I look at it the other way around.

How do you SC fans bear it... to have absolutely no death penalty?

When my friend quit HC due to lag, I joined him for a bit to play it and I swear, I felt like I was cheating the entire time. When I died there was no adrenaline, no fear, it was like I had God mode or something.

It just stripped the entire fun out of the game for me.
Reply Quote
It's just a game. All games come to an end. Even your softcore toons. Do you think you will be playing them 5 years from now? If not, then they will "die". This mode gives those deaths more excitement - with a generous sprinkling of dread. To me, that is more fun than never-ending immortality games.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
to die?

Honestly, I wonder about this question a lot. Sometimes I get interested in trying out HC but I always shy away because I know I would be too frustrated if my toon, which I invested maybe dozens if not more hours in it would die.

What's your mindset about it? I really would like to hear your mental strategies becaus I cannot imagine anybody could just shrug it off (for a toon that has dozens of hours and at least decent gear).
I think that for me, part of the enjoyment comes from the excitement that death can be right around the next corner at any time, and that sense of anticipation keeps me on my toes.

When I was growing up, a lot of the games I enjoyed the most had that sense of finality to them, where if you died (or ran out of a limited number of lives), you simply had to start over. Because of that very real risk, I found that how I approached fights fundamentally changed when I was aware that my last fight could be my last. It's for that reason that I tend to change it up and play both regular mode and Hardcore in Diablo III.

Dying is never fun, but I don't find that the sting of losing a hero lasts too long. (My most recent Hardcore hero actually met her demise due to the fact that a renegade cat hair had unceremoniously lodged itself under a section of my mouse. Bah!) My recommendation would be to just try it out, particularly if you have a friend or two that is willing to accompany you in Sanctuary and watch your back.

Just remember that while your hero may not live forever, their deeds will indeed be remembered.
Reply Quote
to die?

Honestly, I wonder about this question a lot. Sometimes I get interested in trying out HC but I always shy away because I know I would be too frustrated if my toon, which I invested maybe dozens if not more hours in it would die.

What's your mindset about it? I really would like to hear your mental strategies becaus I cannot imagine anybody could just shrug it off (for a toon that has dozens of hours and at least decent gear).
I think that for me, part of the enjoyment comes from the excitement that death can be right around the next corner at any time, and that sense of anticipation keeps me on my toes.

When I was growing up, a lot of the games I enjoyed the most had that sense of finality to them, where if you died (or ran out of a limited number of lives), you simply had to start over. Because of that very real risk, I found that how I approached fights fundamentally changed when I was aware that my last fight could be my last. It's for that reason that I tend to change it up and play both regular mode and Hardcore in Diablo III.

Dying is never fun, but I don't find that the sting of losing a hero lasts too long. (My most recent Hardcore hero actually met her demise due to the fact that a renegade cat hair had unceremoniously lodged itself under a section of my mouse. Bah!) My recommendation would be to just try it out, particularly if you have a friend or two that is willing to accompany you in Sanctuary and watch your back.

Just remember that while your hero may not live forever, their deeds will indeed be remembered.

OK MOST of the time HC is fun...but your comments made me remember that most wretched game called "Ghosts n' Goblins"...no ability to save, 1 hit and your character is actually clothes-less, 2 hits and start the whole game over.

If there WAS an SC version of GnG I woulda been all over that :)
Reply Quote
I cant shrug it off at all; I hate HC death. I only play HC because the economy is not destroyed- I always find things I can use or sell. On SC that never happens, ever.
Reply Quote
Last character that died made me...redecorate the room. I had to patch some holes in the wall, so while I was there, why not paint the entire room. I assure you that I learned from that, I'll hit something else than the walls next time.
Edited by Lycahon#1744 on 6/22/2013 8:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I do ok with deaths I suppose. Got a stockpile of keyboards incase of death =)
Reply Quote
even with GFG im usually more dissapointed about losing the gems, pain in the !@# putting all that work making them. i usually just say to myself $%^-... and reroll shrug it off like nothing ever happened, honor the fallen, learn from your mistakes, rebuild bigger better stronger, all of my deaths excluding 2 have been glorious, the other 2 i was not able to witness due to my laptop lagging (not the IC or servers) joining a game and having that first minute or so of laggyness untill it smoothes out, hopping in when its "clear" lagging and what do you know they encounter eliete mobs, but as for my other deaths, have been epic as hell. i tend to push it, all the times i have cheated death makes the experience worth it, and it really gets the heart pumping at times, SC will never give you the satisfaction of HC and you will only understand this untill you actually grow a set and play it, it draws a fine line between BOYS AND MEN. its a epic and worthwhile experience! :) hope you change your mind. ps after all those exploits and bs, i had some SC chars laying around that were like a year old a few lvl 60's like pre 1.03 lol i deleted them out of disgust from that whole gold dupe bla bla gave everything away, but i diddnt have much, anyways stricktly hardcore. probably TLDR. on that note just give it a shot!!
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 02:13 PMPosted by Vaeflare
(My most recent Hardcore hero actually met her demise due to the fact that a renegade cat hair had unceremoniously lodged itself under a section of my mouse. Bah!)

Never lost a hc character to that but do know the feleing when mouse goes squirrelly via cat ... hair lol

Also have a big cat who demands my mouse hand as a pillow on occasion
Edited by Shorinji#1170 on 6/21/2013 10:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Seen a lot of posts on this board about cats conspiring (sometimes succeeding) to kill hardcore toons. I think the NSA should look into this, because this may be just a tiny bit of a much bigger machination the cats have in store for the human race.
Reply Quote
to die?

Vaeflare again. +1 to a promotion for you, but by death around the corner do you mean the accept button on a game invite? By death via an epic cat hair do you mean your cat is a huge troll? And by friends in hc having your back do you mean leaving the gate open as a courtesy to help lead monsters into town to kill another player? By all this I only mean you're awesome you deserve a promotion but please ask @whoever to add that town entrance to the next small or major patch...
Reply Quote
Some experiences you just can't get in SC, like this one I posted about a week or two ago...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281268789#1

You can NEVER experience anything like that in SC.
Reply Quote
to die?

It's cool when you are playing, and all of a sudden you're battling a boss then you're DCed from the server for no reason at all and die the server death.

No fault of your own, other than being logged into the server cause there is no offline mode for solo play.

How is that even remotely fair? I get the taking your chances bit, but is this the direction of the game for issues like gold sink?

Maybe you can add an extra line on the warning,"..., including deaths caused by our servers."
Reply Quote
I recently started playing HC.

When I first started playing the game about half a year ago, I remember the first complaint I had was the lack of edge-of-the-seat, gripping tension (don't get me wrong, I like DIII a lot, but DII scared me and I thought DIII was lacking in that aspect). Death was cheap, and no more than an inconvenience (even easier for me to say as I don't play glass cannons).

I'm on level 54 with my first HC toon, now, and every moment I'm dreading that she'll die before she hit 60. And THAT's the tension I've been looking for.

I haven't had any deaths due to disconnections yet. The one time I DID get kicked without warning, I was fortunately in town and sorting out my stash.

I feel a bit bad that I've put my SC main aside for now, and he's falling behind compared to my friends who are only grinding on SC... I honestly don't know when I'll go back. :P
Reply Quote
I don't mind if I die. 10 characters spots isn't enough and I REALLY like leveling from 1-60
Reply Quote
Some experiences you just can't get in SC, like this one I posted about a week or two ago...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281268789#1

You can NEVER experience anything like that in SC.

usually i would say TLDR but i did read, good wright, that basically sums it up.
Reply Quote
i shrug it off.

=D

Sometimes I get interested in trying out HC but I always shy away because I know I would be too frustrated if my toon, which I invested maybe dozens if not more hours in it would die.

I don't think most Hardcore players "just shrug it off" if their character dies, but I can only attest to the attitude I see from my circle of friends. Most of us feel at least some level of bitterness when a hero is lost, but we also feel the added value is well worth the genuine risk. Personally, I feel like the best way to tackle Hardcore is by placing a higher value on the immediate experience rather than long term character progression. In short, have fun killing demons right here, right now. When I look at Diablo III like that, Hardcore is a lot of fun.

Don't get me wrong, I play both modes, and I think that's the best choice. Sometimes you want to play without a steep penalty for making a mistake, or just be where your friends are.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]