Diablo® III

Calling on TR/bell monks for equipping tips

OK, i feel like i've pretty much hit a brick wall. i seem to be stuck at an impassable 132k. I checked out Druin's 210k and even the proceeds from my last sale (about 1b) cant seem to put me within 20k of him.

can anyone please give suggestions on how to push further without 12 digit gold?
Reply Quote
It looks like we are about in the same boat as a TR/bell monk :X

I'm stuck at around 129k dps and don't really see anyway of increasing my dps without losing vit/allres/armor unless I spend in the range of ~300 million per upgrade.

The only thing I see for you is that you could ditch the doom hammer for a skorn and gain ~300 dex, although lose 170 vit, but could make that vit up somewhere else like on your Natalya reflection or Amulet. (see my Natalya reflection.)

edit: You could buy an Amulet that has just as much DPS, but with All res (see my Amulet.). You could then lose the blackthorne chest piece and get a Inna's chest without all res but with as much dex/vit as you could afford. My Amulet cost ~66 mil, so it wasn't too bad.

That would give you more health while at the same time giving you ~100 dex or so.
Edited by jxfuller#1507 on 6/22/2013 7:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It looks like we are about in the same boat as a TR/bell monk :X

I'm stuck at around 129k dps and don't really see anyway of increasing my dps without losing vit/allres/armor unless I spend in the range of ~300 million per upgrade.

The only thing I see for you is that you could ditch the doom hammer for a skorn and gain ~300 dex, although lose 170 vit, but could make that vit up somewhere else like on your Natalya reflection or Amulet. (see my Natalya reflection.)

its a terrible boat to be on, isnt it?

actually your thoughts somewhat echo mine, as we speak i have about 400m worth of bids out on high vit vast expense and a 178/78 temperance. my long term goal is to push more vit onto armor pieces so i can get a skorn. but my hammer has 1466 average damage and is hard to replace. just looking at the prices of 1400 average damage skorns with LS makes my eyes water.
Reply Quote
You definitely need more dex on that chest. You might wanna try crafting one, you could get super lucky like me :P

Also the crit damage on your amulet is very low. And though it wont show in your paper DPS you would get much more damage with a WoL SOJ instead of that deadly reach one.
Reply Quote
Check out d3up profile... it might give you some ideas:

http://d3up.com/b/769830/

tbh, I think spirit regen in helm is an expensive luxury that you do not need. Good luck.
Reply Quote
I just built my Bell Monk and only have like 150K paper dps but paper dps for a Bell Monk is fake. I also have a Soj.

I kill mp10 elites in 10-15secs which I am happy with. I don't even want any more dps. Any upgrade going foward will be to increase my armor, AR, and Health.
Reply Quote
Hi guys,

Try changing your nat boots to zuni boots. Right now, I am wearing TR/Bell defensive gear at 170+ dps. Still not as good as Druins. I have another set of gear(offense) @190dps i think, but glassy.

I might try to craft chest and find inna belt.

I need advise on mine.
Reply Quote
Hi guys,

Try changing your nat boots to zuni boots. Right now, I am wearing TR/Bell defensive gear at 170+ dps. Still not as good as Druins. I have another set of gear(offense) @190dps i think, but glassy.

I might try to craft chest and find inna belt.

I need advise on mine.

You got some great dps there, but your resist is much too low for my taste , ~320 all resist u have?

I like to at least keep in the ~500 range (although I have ~660 right now, could drop some.)
Reply Quote
Hi HuntingFox. You have a nice inna belt but if you aren't going for 4 piece inna a WH would be better. Your spirit regen helm is fine, but you need to upgrade the gem. Each level in helm is worth about 8 vita. Try to get a source of pickup radius - it helps survivability. Spend your money on a Marquis gem for weapon, it's worth it. Also look at getting a Skorn. Your mace is nice but the low crit and no dex is really hurting your DPS.

I'm 240k + SOJ with a high spirit regen, and no need for STI/OWE/Serenity. My build currently is for Vota essence farming MP7. For MP10 I switch out FF with Exalted.
Upgrades are expensive and the best stuff I am sure isn't on the the Ah anymore but on third party sites :(
I put my faith in crafting. gl
Reply Quote
I don't get why you guys go natalya's on a TR monk. To my eyes the attack speed is useless, and the extra crit chance doesn't make up for the crit damage you lose. On top of this tempest rush's cost increases with attack speed. Wouldn't it be a good idea to avoid attack speed in that case?
Reply Quote
My suggestions for upgrades, in order of significance:

1) Ditch the doom hammer for a skorn. Your DH isn't even comparable to a low-end skorn. For 100-200 mill you can get a 1350+ avg dmg skorn with 300+ dex, 175+ cd and lifesteal.

2) Replace nat's boots with zunimassa's trail with high dex, your resist of choice and high dex/vit

3) Replace nat's ring with a rare with avg damage, dex, vit, cc, cd and resist

4) replace blackthorne's coat with an inna's with high vit or 90+vit/70+ AR
Reply Quote
Hmm well sir, it definitely depends on what kind of farming you want to do and what game play style you enjoy. Also take into consideration the pro's and con's of 2H vs 1H.

For myself, since the Spirit Spender skill changes I believe Wave of Light is the best overall DPS skill in the game. Especially paired with Wall of Light. I've done the math before comparing each WoL rune and don't have it handy. Basically it boils down to how much Critical Hit Damage and Critical Hit Chance you have.

If you are around 50% CHC and 400% CD or Wall of Light is about 60% more damaging than Empowered Wave(the runner up).

I've been creeping the forum for a while and see a lot of bad advice on what stats are the most important, what gear to buy and how to level your paragon. Maybe I'll make a long-winded post on this sometime but for now the girlfriend comes first.

I think I'm about 294K DPS unbuffed, no follower and farm Mp10 like it's Mp1. My best piece of advice for you aspiring Monk's is to take a look at my gear and build.

Yes I know my boots need to be Dex/Vit and a Mempo with CC%/TWH with 9/50% would be optimal but for now due to my lack of time for playing and funds to invest for upgrades this is where I am.

My EHP isn't paricularly high, I know but you really don't need a whole lot if you have high dodge and can control your toon well enough. Resist's are so-so but whatever I barely die, yeah my armor is pretty decent and that sort of makes up for the others but I know I could use another 100k for sure.

If you take a close look you will see one thing that stands out, I have one wicked high base damage Main Hand weapon and Average Damage on each piece of Jewelry. This is the key factor in Wave of Light damage as the base damage for the skill is calculated based on your Main Hand's damage. So in theory a 1300+ base EF will beat an 1100ish with CD for Wave of Light.

TL;DR: Average Damage -> CC% -> Cdmg -> ASPD -> Main stat
Edited by Rii#1628 on 6/22/2013 8:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thank you gents for all that quality advice. i am indeed gunning for 4 piece inna's, make no mistake about that. im trawling the AH daily now for a good deal on temperance and vast exp. the bt coat u see there has served me (quite well) for the past 80 paragon levels.

with regards to the doom hammer, i've gone and relied on its vit for quite a while now and am paying the price backwards. trying to get vit back on my armor so like many of you advised, i can get dex and higher CHD on weapon. im going to miss 0.9 aps, though. it made my TR really cheap. also, 1466 average weapon damage is no joke.

06/22/2013 07:39 PMPosted by suddenZenith
I don't get why you guys go natalya's on a TR monk. To my eyes the attack speed is useless, and the extra crit chance doesn't make up for the crit damage you lose. On top of this tempest rush's cost increases with attack speed. Wouldn't it be a good idea to avoid attack speed in that case?

well i thought i may as well answer u on this one. the fact is that IAS isnt "fake" dps. what it does is let you drop bells faster and of course throw down your spirit regenerators faster. it is a very real dps addition. what IAS isnt good for is efficiency; if two bell monks sport the same pdps but one has a higher APS, this means his bells are hurting less - every bell monk knows this. but so long as you've maxed everything else as far as u can, IAS doesnt hurt unless u bring your APS above what your spirit regeneration can handle when you TR.
Reply Quote
hi guys im back with 160k pdps and a whole new problem - i lost too much vit as kinda expected, dropping 176 vit on my weapon. i tried to mitigate this by getting myself a new ammy and vit on temperance but it didnt quite save the situation - im looking at 34k hp now which is terrible (from experience, 50k hp is nice and comfy at mp10 given my 400ish resists and 3.5k armor).

right now im trying to reroll my boa shoulders and gloves for vit as well as what they already got, which feels like trying to win the lottery. twice.
Reply Quote
i got my TR monk equipment form my DH... its OP lol. 3days plvl 70. No Soj until plvl 100.
Edited by GreenLink#6667 on 6/23/2013 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My monk cost about 1 billion to build. (200k unbuffed)
Edited by Chiuy#1470 on 6/23/2013 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 10:10 AMPosted by GreenLink
i got my TR monk equipment form my DH... its OP lol. 3days plvl 70. No Soj until plvl 100.

firstly, nice gear.

secondly, ummm, are u sure you're a TR monk, cos you're not really set up for TR. heck, TR isnt in your build.
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 11:11 AMPosted by HuntingFox

firstly, nice gear.

secondly, ummm, are u sure you're a TR monk, cos you're not really set up for TR. heck, TR isnt in your build.

He probably didn't know that TR Monks can't have attack speed items except for Nat's ring and Inna's Pants with a few exception to how fast your main-hand's attacks.
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Chiuy
He probably didn't know that TR Monks can't have attack speed items except for Nat's ring and Inna's Pants with a few exception to how fast your main-hand's attacks.

Yes and no. It depends what you mean by TR. If you are talking about TR in the old traditional sense of the word where it's all about low MP level endless TRing for XP. In which case, IAS is public enemy #1 because you don't ever want to have to stop to fight anything outside of elites, and even then, you want to be able to one shot them.

In these new-fangled TR/Bell builds, it's not as much as about endless TRing, as TR is more about a mode of transportation in between packs. In that sense, having more attack speed is not necessarily a bad thing because (1) you can drop more bells more quickly to kill packs more quickly (especially if you are using FitL buff) and (2) you can swing more frequently and thus generate spirit more quickly, which in turn means more frequent bells.

While the priority should still be CC > CHD > AD > IAS, you don't have to avoid IAS like the plague like you would have when you were trying to do endless. Having stronger bells is still preferable over faster bells if you had to choose since you are still dealing with knockback... so the fewer bells you can throw down to kill an elite, the better. But as far as IAS and TR goes... as long as you have enough spirit to make it from one pack to the next with enough spirit to spare, you should be fine.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 6/23/2013 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry guys im noob... hahha . but the bell thing is good. can regen fast in solo mode MP 10. 1 shot the mobs and e died in seconds. DH is not good like monk tho.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]