Diablo® III

Acheived OWE Free

These two days, I tried to regear my monk for OWE free. Just completed the regear that I spent around 120m on inna helm, Tal chest, witching hours, inna pants and litany ring. But my dps and hp dropped from 277k to 246k and 45k to 40k respectively.

Would like to get more hp up again! Any advice dude?
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 7/15/2013 10:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmmmm, looks like a story of sidegrading to be able to upgrade :-/

The two places that really stick out to me are your nats pieces. On neither of them do you have vit, and your ring is now a hole in your eHP with that arcane resistance.

Another critic would be your witching hour, where I'd say 32 all res is a little weak. In addition your inna's radiance, shoulders, bracers, chest also have room for improvement with ~15-20 all res missing per piece. If you were able to get really high all res rolls, you have the potential to gain an additional 80+ all res there, ultimately leaving you free to buy some high vit inna's temperance.

EDIT: Or, you could replace some emeralds with amethysts, but that's just silly :-P
Edited by Heruzian#1728 on 6/21/2013 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks your advice. I just changed back my single arcane resist witching hour and BOA bi-glove to get about more 36k hp.
Reply Quote
Nicely done!

How much did each piece cost you?
Reply Quote
First of all, congrats! That is still a huge goal to my monk (low budget), I am saving gold and have been looking/buying/crafting AR gear.

In the order hand, do you feel it worth to drop 31k DPS and 40k EHP to gain 3secs(20%) cool down on Blinding Flash which is affected by Beacon of Ytar?

Here is my simple math, please correct if I am wrong:

Within 60 seconds playing time:

W/o BoY, you'll have 4 BF and you'd deal: 277 * (48 + 12*1.3) = 17.617 mil damage.
With BoY, you'll have 5 BF and you'd deal: 246 * (45 + 15*1.3) = 15.867 mil damage.

The other reason I can think of getting rid of OWE now would be way cheaper than after OWE gets nerfed.

Am I missing something?

Btw, I am not good of theory crafting so I hope I may learn something from our pros monks here.
Reply Quote
What is OWE free?
Reply Quote
Ho I got it sorry lol
Reply Quote
First of all, congrats! That is still a huge goal to my monk (low budget), I am saving gold and have been looking/buying/crafting AR gear.

In the order hand, do you feel it worth to drop 31k DPS and 40k EHP to gain 3secs(20%) cool down on Blinding Flash which is affected by Beacon of Ytar?

W/o BoY, you'll have 4 BF and you'd deal: 277 * (48 + 12*1.3) = 17.617 mil damage.
With BoY, you'll have 5 BF and you'd deal: 246 * (45 + 15*1.3) = 15.867 mil damage.

The other reason I can think of getting rid of OWE now would be way cheaper than after OWE gets nerfed.

Am I missing something?

Btw, I am not good of theory crafting so I hope I may learn something from our pros monks here.

I am not sure the exact reason MU decided to go OWE free.
But here are couple of other reasons to go OWE-free (well the reason I want to go OWE free)
- Different kinds of passive (not only the 20% cool down). You can do stuff like NDE for more defense. FF for faster movement, Spirit regen, etc.
- Better upgrade path )you are no longer tied to OWE resist. One free affix roll, also if you craft GG item you don't have to be sad that it is not your OWE resist, etc)
- Probably better prepared for future (but this is just total guess since no one knows how future patch will be like)

I think build diversity is the first reason why people go AR over OWE. Is it worth the extra gold? Depends on how rich you are I guess.
Edited by Gungnir#1425 on 6/21/2013 9:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Good stuff man. Dual LS is dah s hit :P
Reply Quote

Am I missing something?

I don't know but it maybe worth to do that. The free of passive can be changed to different build. Not only focus on Beacon of Ytar right.

I think your calculation looks right. But balance monk is important. I know I'm still not balance yet.
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 6/21/2013 9:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nicely done!

How much did each piece cost you?

1. inna helm: 18m
2. Tals chest: 8m
3. litany ring: 62m
4. witching hours: 14m
5. Inna Temperance: 22m

Total is 124m
Reply Quote
Congrats. Now, you did it the budget way! Unlike me, where I spent 900M over two pieces (my WH belt and my nats ring) to achieve OWE free status on my monk (and I did it while still increasing my DPS with my upgrades). Yes, I have officially kissed my budget-monk status goodbye with that decision. :(

Mind you, I also wanted to be OWE free without the litany ring (that I have in my stash) to free me up to use a pure DPS ring (be it a WH ring, unity ring, or a SoJ) and still maintain the requisite 500 AR to be OWE free across all of my builds, and pop in my litany ring if I needed some extra defense when I need it (like if I ever to ubers again, etc). I guess going for that kind of freedom cost me quite a bit more. :)
Reply Quote
if you could find a mempo and switch to inna chest you would have more vit, i think that is the best way imo.
keep the rings for dps
Edited by ExTaShie#1751 on 6/21/2013 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well done man, your monk is coming along nicely. All improvements i can think of have already been covered.
Reply Quote
@Nameless
Thanks!
Both of your nat's ring and wh belt looks pricey, but they worth on that I think. I have limit golds to achieve my OWE free,therefore, my gears are just so so.
Wow, you already over 500 AR, but you still keeping your litany ring at your stash? You are really OWE free monk

@ExtaShie
Your advice is good, I will consider it seriously. But I don't have tons of gold. I might get a mempo from my drop luck one day. About inna chest, i would consider it when I save up enough gold. I broke all my golds already.

@oldman54
Thanks! Wow your dps amazing at 260k unbuffed S&B with 64k hp. You are the topest of S&B monk in the US I think. If you change to WD weapons, you must be over 300k dps unbuffed and I think you can hit OWE free easily too.
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 6/21/2013 6:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Doesn't seem worth it for a side grade at best.

So you lost Ehp/ and DPS for 1 open passive. that passive gives 30% off blind cd.
Reply Quote
Doesn't seem worth it for a side grade at best.

So you lost Ehp/ and DPS for 1 open passive. that passive gives 30% off blind cd.

I would probably say I agree with you for those who are working with low budgets (such as myself until I got my best drop ever). As you acquire more gold, you can decide between increased build variety or honing / improving one specific build to become more efficient. I have found that once you hit around 200K DPS, MP10 is definitely doable and it becomes more of a matter of making it faster/easier with better gear. My focus has since shifted to increasing build variety and so I'd like to be able to flex between different playstyles depending on mood and situation.

Going OWE free gives you an extra passive, but you can use it for more than just BoY. As a 2H monk, STI and TGP are generally fixtures and so you have to figure out what how to use your last passive. You can use OWE/Pacifism/NDE for more defense... you can use BoY to decrease cooldown of some skills, CoR for increased passive spirit regen (extending mantra duration is only a side benefit), ES for more spirit so you can drop more bells from full, combination strike for at least 8% DPS increase, Guiding Light for group play for 20% party DPS buff, Sixth Sense for more dodge for MoE/Backlash and other dodge-based builds. There must be more that I'm missing, but you get the drift.

As a DW monk, I find it less necessary to go OWE free, since you aren't locked into TGP. Typically, I like so use STI, ES and BoY to keep my FitL uptime up. But if I were to play group, GL would be a nice party buff. Pacifism if you don't use serenity or DS to break free from jailers to go more all out offensive in your build. NDE if you are using EP and are afraid of getting one shot when you use that skill against RD monsters. Again, there is probably more that I can't think of, but you get my drift.

At this point in my growth, what I need more than power and efficiency is build variety. It keeps things interesting as the unending permutations of active skills, passive skills and gear can keep the game continually interesting as I experiment with different combinations. At this point, it's not necessarily finding the most efficient way of conquering MP10 (I can do that too), but also finding often unused skills and challenging myself to see if I can make an unconventional build MP10 capable.

So yeah... that'd be my long answer to why I think going OWE free is important and why I was willing to pay up to go OWE free with no sacrifice to DPS and minimal effect on EHP.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 6/22/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Shlink and Nameless

Tested my gears these two days. I think you guys are right. It is not good tank without OWE. But the litany ring is main issue to decrease my overall dps from my rare ring (around 16k dps drop). So I think I will combine some of my old gears with new gears (litany ring and BOA chest) and return to OWE now.

Right now, my build is 252k dps with 612 AR (with OWE) and 5300 armor, 47 hp.

Old gear, my build is 277k dps with 520 AR (with OWE) and 5000 armor, 45 hp.

Any thought my mixed up gears now? Do I stick with Tal's again? If I use Tals dps is 261k with 520 ar (owe) and 5000 armor, 45 hp.
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 6/23/2013 3:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
When I geared out of OWE I found 500 ar to be too squishy for my liking now I am just over 600 OWE free and can roll mp 10 the way I like too. Still working on getting my armor to the coveted 5000 mark hoping too craft some wicked shoulders with armor to help me get there. I have 47k life but more would be nice as well to just break the 50k Mark
Reply Quote
OWE... OWE.. OWE.. OWE lol :-P

OWE is very great passive skill for my monk :-P

with OWE, get 674 AR + SOJ and 56 hp ... OWE is my favorite skill, thanks Blizard for great skill
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]