Diablo® III

Allow playing in all Acts via Waypoint-system

Community Manager
06/24/2013 04:23 AMPosted by Ayranjie
Just this. If we got to act 2, and we join a fresh act 2 game, we can join any area we've visited prior to that and all bosses are there again.

Wyatt Cheng talked a little bit about making the world of Sanctuary more open in his interview with ArchonTheWizard, but it's to early to have more details on how it would work. I think this all comes back to having more choices in content (something Travis Day talks about), and that's something we're definitely interested in providing more of.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Grimiku
Just this. If we got to act 2, and we join a fresh act 2 game, we can join any area we've visited prior to that and all bosses are there again.

Wyatt Cheng talked a little bit about making the world of Sanctuary more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]open[/url] in his interview with ArchonTheWizard, but it's to early to have more details on how it would work. I think this all comes back to having more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#travis-content-choices"]choices in content[/url] (something Travis Day talks about), and that's something we're definitely interested in providing more of.

I know that you don't have any control over this and it's really not up to you, but the fact that you have to start a new game to change acts is truly pathetic.
Reply Quote
I agree with OP on this. I also would love it if we could have the bosses on open areas like the keywardens rather than in special boss rooms. Since I know Grimiku and Lylirra want to know the reasons behind player preferences, here's my reasons:
1. The way it feels right now is very much like the way it was in mario bros. where you go to koopa and the door closes and you fight mano a mano. I loved the way it was in diablo 2 where you are exploring and you go down the tower and you're fighting monsters and then bang I get poisoned and here's Andy!
2. The way it currently is set up, there is no escape on HC. Basically you have to know for sure that you can kill belial before you enter the fight. Its either you kill him or you lose your char. If the bosses are in the open air, you can still try to run away if you see this is not workign out for you.
3. The way it is now, I have to change skills to be completely single target when I fight a boss. I love grave injustice for my WD, but its a wasted skill if I use it when fighting the butcher, because there is only one target and grave injustice will not proc at all. Same with gruesome feast. But if the butcher was roaming free on level 3 of halls of agony. Now then I could still use those skills.
4. If you change them to free roaming- you can make the bosses harder like they should be and you can cut down on the waste of time cutscreens while you're at it.

--What do you think Grimi? Can you pass this along to the devs too please?
Edited by JackNimble#1608 on 6/24/2013 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Grimiku

Wyatt Cheng talked a little bit about making the world of Sanctuary more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]open[/url] in his interview with ArchonTheWizard, but it's to early to have more details on how it would work. I think this all comes back to having more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#travis-content-choices"]choices in content[/url] (something Travis Day talks about), and that's something we're definitely interested in providing more of.

Just allow us to select which quest we want to begin the next Act :)
Reply Quote
PLEASE, if I had one only choice from here on out to pick for Diablo 3, it would be an open-world, all acts and bosses available option. The game feels SO small right now, being restricted to 1 act at a time. If there was just an option to disable quests and have everything open, that would make my freakin year =D

I *guess* a good step forward in this direction that should be easier to implement is to allow us to reverse in acts from the quest we've selected, and just have all prior quests finished like it is now in live, with the bosses de-spawned. This wouldn't be my choice out of the two, but at least I'd be able to hop around all the acts in one game.

But again, please add an all-in-one option for making games, so we can farm every act / boss / miniboss while in one game. I love the storyline and quests, but it gets old quick. If disabling quests is what it takes, I'm down!
Reply Quote
I just think it is ridiculous how a basic feature like this, present in D2, was cut from the franchise. Plainly cut! Not left out. Not, we forgot about it. Cut! Because Jay Wilson thought it was more fun if we played through the mediocre scenarios and laughable story over and over. This is a fact, I'm just to lazy to necro a 1 year old post.

One of the reasons we cant have a totally open game its because the core systems in this game are whats wrong with it. They removed the Old Bnet system of lobbies and named games. This made it so they had to pre organize multiplayer games based on each quest, since you could no longer make a custom game with a name and description so players with the same goal could meet in there.
Why did they do this? It is generally understood that it was done because of spammers in the lobbies and botters spamming games. Well guess what? We still have spammers and botters. Another poor game design that did not fix the botting issue like it claimed it was designed for, just like the RMAH (fyi Blizz, there are still 3rd party sites in spite of it).

They should have just updated D2. The graphics, combat, animations are great in this game. Imagine that with the great systems D2 had. Oh, and personal loot, auto pick up gold, paragon levels. Those are all good. Also, great job on the mob density patch.

I still enjoy this game. It just irks me because in know they half assed it, and it shows.
Reply Quote
View profile
I really believe that in time we will see the ability to go to any act. That way we can have all kinds of farming routes. We can have short ones that only have just certain zones in acts 1,2, or 3. Or we can stretch out our run if we know that we are gonna be playing for a long while and do acts 1 and 2. All kinds of different possibilities exist. So it is something that would be a great change.
Reply Quote
View profile
One possible disadvantage of having this:

Players will eventually figure out that single most "optimal" route for farming the best spots across all Acts, and then everyone will be compelled to run that route for the sake of "efficiency".

For example, Key Farming route will be nothing but Act 1 Fields of Misery, Act 2 Dahlgur Oasis, Act 3 Stonefort over and over...

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
How would it play out? Pretty awesomely, actually (if I had my way).

Enter randomly generated floorplan of the palace, randomly encounter Belial Form #1, defeat. Work further into the random palace and encounter Belial Form #2. Fight through more monsters as you search for Belial's Final Form, who attacks not motionless in the middle, but from various sides of narrow walkways instead of a single set piece. The zoom out can stay whenever he's on the screen to show the scale of the fight, but the pathways can be more random while still allowing the fight to play out similarly to the set piece of the original boss fight without feeling confined.
Edited by Wrathernaut#1623 on 6/24/2013 7:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Players will eventually figure out that single most "optimal" route for farming the best spots across all Acts, and then everyone will be compelled to run that route for the sake of "efficiency".

For example, Key Farming route will be nothing but Act 1 Fields of Misery, Act 2 Dahlgur Oasis, Act 3 Stonefort over and over...

Thoughts?

People will alway find the most efficient routes unless everything is made to be the exact same. Who the heck cares if people use the "most efficient route"? It's ridiculous to bring that argument up so often.
Reply Quote
I truly hope that Blizzard goes through with this. I am so tired of going through the story when I want to fight bosses. I want to be able to get my 5 NV stacks and then kill all three Keywardens in quick succession. That sounds like fun to me. It may sound weird, but being able to hop between the Acts and farm more than one boss was fun in Diablo II. This would also add a point to the Waypoints, other than reminding us that this is supposed to be the sequel to Diablo II.
Reply Quote
+1 - Really liked the OP. Great stuff and I totally agree 100%.

If we have finnished the game on act 4, we can move across all acts as we want and re-opening a game re-freshes everything. No bound-on-quest. The story-line shouldn't restrict us from farming as we want.

...<snip>...

Spread the word and tell me if you do want this or not with some reasoning please :-)
Reply Quote

Thoughts?

My thought is who cares.

People farm the most efficient route now...or they don't. What difference should it make to anyone else how I play my game as long as I'm not breaking any rules. I don't feel compelled to do anything I don't want to do and anyone who does is just artificially putting that on themselves.

This suggestion would lead to more play options for me and honestly I don't care if anyone else feels like it would "limit" their options because they are just making their own prisons. If you can't see it's more options then the problem lies with you. I don't mean you specifically DomonKassui I mean you in the general sense of the word.
Reply Quote
It would be to simple to implement wp access like this (just like how it was in Diablo II). They must want to present this function in a different manner. Perhaps a crazy act 4 area with portals to the different acts. Who knows.
Reply Quote

Thoughts?

Hellfire rings are worthless, which is something people need to accept.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 08:53 PMPosted by sasaking
that's why D2 > D3 in every single aspect

D2 had so, so, so, so many more bots and hacks than D3 does
Reply Quote
Agreed 100,000%. The fact that I'm locked into this horrible linear progression is absurd. I should be able to hop around to any zone in any act and fight any boss whenever I want. The commonly brought up argument that people will feel compelled to farm the most efficient route is retarded.. there will ALWAYS be the most efficient route, no matter what. Now people just farms Festering, Weeping Hollow, Fields. At least if this change goes through I can get a change of scenery throughout my run
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]