Diablo® III

Allow playing in all Acts via Waypoint-system

06/24/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Grimiku
Just this. If we got to act 2, and we join a fresh act 2 game, we can join any area we've visited prior to that and all bosses are there again.

Wyatt Cheng talked a little bit about making the world of Sanctuary more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]open[/url] in his interview with ArchonTheWizard, but it's to early to have more details on how it would work. I think this all comes back to having more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#travis-content-choices"]choices in content[/url] (something Travis Day talks about), and that's something we're definitely interested in providing more of.
In my imagination choices of content = ears in pvp for pvp craft set. 100 story dungeon with new bosses and not recycled content. Game monsters in zones no player is in refreshing whenever a new player joins a game. Ways to farm for something that upgrade your current legends into something perfect. A way to farm for something that will allow you to edit your legend.

They can make a "GO TO" info section of what trash mobs, champs and bosses drop more of what so players can focus those zones if they want to progress in certain areas faster. Now I am just 1 man. So in actuality I expect more than what I have thought on my own above.
Reply Quote
Just this. If we got to act 2, and we join a fresh act 2 game, we can join any area we've visited prior to that and all bosses are there again.

Wyatt Cheng talked a little bit about making the world of Sanctuary more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]open[/url] in his interview with ArchonTheWizard, but it's to early to have more details on how it would work. I think this all comes back to having more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#travis-content-choices"]choices in content[/url] (something Travis Day talks about), and that's something we're definitely interested in providing more of.

The act / waypoint system is indefensible. It impedes fun in the game and forces the player to waste time better spent playing by watching loading screens and navigating non-core gameplay systems. For a model on how to do this correctly, see Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
Uhhhh guys dont even post about these idea everyone one knows how much you give good ideas and that it make sense.. these dev team will never admitt that if they started making what you guys want it reminds them of D2 game system they will never go back to it...yet they will tweaked it to make it lok like it isnt but it is...
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 09:54 PMPosted by CentaurusXVI
Uhhhh guys dont even post about these idea everyone one knows how much you give good ideas and that it make sense.. these dev team will never admitt that if they started making what you guys want it reminds them of D2 game system they will never go back to it...yet they will tweaked it to make it lok like it isnt but it is...

No shame in taking stuff from D2 system. Afterall, this is supposedly the successor to D2. It's hilarious that they are doing everything to make the game not D2 alike. Silly rabbits.
Reply Quote
How would it play out? Pretty awesomely, actually (if I had my way).

Enter randomly generated floorplan of the palace, randomly encounter Belial Form #1, defeat. Work further into the random palace and encounter Belial Form #2. Fight through more monsters as you search for Belial's Final Form, who attacks not motionless in the middle, but from various sides of narrow walkways instead of a single set piece. The zoom out can stay whenever he's on the screen to show the scale of the fight, but the pathways can be more random while still allowing the fight to play out similarly to the set piece of the original boss fight without feeling confined.

Awesome
Reply Quote
Yeah, this game needs a "framework" overhaul... i.e.... go back to the old system... and once quests are beaten allow people to decide if they want to play "story mode" again, or, simply black out the quests once completed and open up the world like Diablo 2... there is no reason why you should have to do anything you don't want to do... in any order... at any time... I'd love to just start a game and go wherever I want...
Reply Quote
Just imagine guys, if this had been built on the foundation of D2 and then they simply worked out polishing it for 5-6 years... OMG... what a missed opportunity...
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile

Wyatt Cheng talked a little bit about making the world of Sanctuary more open in his interview with ArchonTheWizard, but it's to early to have more details on how it would work. I think this all comes back to having more choices in content (something Travis Day talks about), and that's something we're definitely interested in providing more of.

I do hope that Wyatt and Travis realize that in order to give us open waypoint access, they'll also need to give us the option of disabling story mode completely, assuming bosses and sub-bosses are made available, since currently they can only be accessed via the storyline.

I know I'd jump up and down for joy if story mode were disabled or allowed to be turned off so I could have all bosses at all times and pick and choose what I want to fight instead of having to say, choose the quest to defeat Ghom in act 3 and then fight all the way through the act via the storyline if I want to kill Azmodan in the same run.

The big problem that players are having with the current system is that it basically forces a "Lunar: Silver Star" approach to how they play - everything has to be done linearly. There's no room for any alterations to what a player can access at any given time.

Key runs are something else to consider in this mix. Having to get NV5 as a prerequisite just to have a chance at the keys currently means one of two scenarios comes into play:

1) Players have to get NV5 for a specific act and kill the Keywarden, then exit the game and repeat the procedure for each additional act/key they want or need.

2) Players have to get NV5 in one act (1 or 2) kill the Keywarden, and then use the storyline to advance to the next act to get that Keywarden.

It's really a frustrating and limiting system. It also highlights yet again just how much of a crutch NV5 has been made into and how it is not a good design for this game. It was a band-aid thrown in to offset the itemization and loot distribution model put into place because of the two auction houses, but has had nothing but negative effects on how players interact with the game from making runs much longer than playrs want to making the Uber bosses that much more annoying and/or frustrating.

There are so many design implementations in Diablo 3 that force limitations on the player that the game feels like it was made with a narrow vision (and literally a narrow tunnel vission in terms of how we really actually play it) and there is just way way too much negative reinforcement, which has been dragging down the enjoyability of the game as a whole.

I'm also going to just come out and say it because everybody is thinking it and feels that it is one of, if not the biggest root causes of the lack of progress being made with regard to improving the game: Why is this yet another "we're thinking about it / it's on the table / we're considering it / it's possible" scenario? Even I'm seriously starting to feel like we're dealing with politicians and dignitaries instead of actual developers. I'm not sure which takes longer to get something done - state and federal legislatures or the developers for this game.

This game is still sitting in a very dark abyss and we're facing the prospect of not getting anything done until the end of the year at best. Why is it that we're still sitting on ideas that many, if not most players want and waiting to dump it all in at once instead of putting the foundation for a more enjoyable game in now and taking care of the Big Problems™ when they're ready to be tackled (which is not to say that those shouldn't have already been tackled, but that's an argument for another thread).

If I have to wait for the end of the year just to see any of these ideas the developers are "considering" come to fruition in even a PTR environment, I am going to be extremely unhappy. I suspect quite a few others will be just as displeased (or worse) if this is the case.

I want to jump into the game and send monsters and their bosses back to the hell they came from, not be forced to play through the story for the eleventy billionth time, all the while constantly dismissing quest dialogs off of my screen during combat and being stuck on a one way train to snoozeville in the process.

Edit: Typos.

Caution: This cookie bites back.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 6/25/2013 12:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I also agree wholeheartedly with this idea and further propose that blizz buffs leg drop rate on ubers to encourage storyplay and to incentivize cuz otherwise noone bothers with act bosses.
Reply Quote
@op Your idea makes sense.......and would seem really fun and cool.........activision will probably not do it.......
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 06:40 PMPosted by familia
They should develop a quest free option that would allow us to traverse acts freely. It can be a reward for beating Inferno Diablo. If it requires a loading screen, so be it.

I like this idea.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Poyozo
I just think it is ridiculous how a basic feature like this, present in D2, was cut from the franchise. Plainly cut! Not left out. Not, we forgot about it. Cut!

This dude. I just can't and probably won't understand what kind of understanding it takes to say "Yes, this is a good decision and brings more to the game than it takes away". All I have to say here.

One possible disadvantage of having this:

Players will eventually figure out that single most "optimal" route for farming the best spots across all Acts, and then everyone will be compelled to run that route for the sake of "efficiency".

For example, Key Farming route will be nothing but Act 1 Fields of Misery, Act 2 Dahlgur Oasis, Act 3 Stonefort over and over...

Thoughts?

Have you ever played diablo 2? :-) People did baalruns a hundred times and more for most exp efficiency, maybe connect it with chaos sanctuary run for more fun and variety. Now in diablo 3 there are a LOT more areas across the 4 acts that are worthwhile farming (also thanks to density).

So compared, diablo 3 has a HUGE advantage over diablo 2 in terms of farming possibilities. Loot drops anywhere, many mobs are anywhere.

And Key farming route --> getting 5 stacks and then go straight to the 3 spots where you can find wardens, what else did you expect a keyrun to look like? For me this is efficient and fun. Atm I lack motivation to farm keys because I have to decide a1, a2 or a3? over and over again. I just want to decide: "Key farming!" Jump in and farm keys right away!

I think you see it a bit too negative and you'll probably love the implention of this once you're free to farm any area and boss within the game without being bind on story-line :-)

06/24/2013 08:36 PMPosted by FortySixAnd2
It would be to simple to implement wp access like this (just like how it was in Diablo II). They must want to present this function in a different manner. Perhaps a crazy act 4 area with portals to the different acts. Who knows.

No. More complex doesn't mean better. Sometimes the best lies withing the simple things. As it is in diablo 2, its simple and the best way to go. Nothing as simple as this can be as good, and the more complex the "better" it may look to the mind, but it will not be better. Probably the mistake Jay or whoever made when deciding to cut lobbies and introduce this system(s).

It's like you trade-off one thing for another. We don't have spammbots ingame, but for what price?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Others have it covered so no need for me to go into detail, however this has my 100% backing. I was VERY frustrated to realize I could not go back to previous completed acts with free waypoint access. I like to do achievements, so strongly dislike having no ability to go between acts when working on them. The inability to navigate as in D2 really is one of the features I dislike most about D3 (besides itemization/drop rates of decent items).
Reply Quote

I'm also going to just come out and say it because everybody is thinking it and feels that it is one of, if not the biggest root causes of the lack of progress being made with regard to improving the game: Why is this yet another "we're thinking about it / it's on the table / we're considering it / it's possible" scenario? Even I'm seriously starting to feel like we're dealing with politicians and dignitaries instead of actual developers. I'm not sure which takes longer to get something done - state and federal legislatures or the developers for this game.

Just like politicians make a business out of life and human, gaming industry atleast makes it seem like they are doing the same with games and fun. I totally agree there.
In such an obvious case I would have expected something else than a "we're looking into it" as well.

Well said nevertheless dude. Can't do more than agree with your whole post.
Edited by Ayranjie#2947 on 6/25/2013 5:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
How about option to disable story mode, give access to all way points and remove the annoying "ok"/"cancel" dialog window at EVERY boss encounter that blocks our screen.

I'm excited to at least see it's something Wyatt or Travis has talked about.

I am just left wondering why was it in the game in the first place.. I mean I always hear about Blizz paying attention to the details and then everywhere I look it's like they didn't. Sorry if that is harsh, it's just how it looks to me. Ok ok... it's not everywhere... but places I just can't hardly believe at times.. The boss encounter window is shocking... It's nice art, well done, but then no one gave thought to the fact that when you are in a party and one person clicks to start the encounter it immediately blocks everyone else's view of what they are doing. It isn't the end of the world, but it's one of those details that could be vastly improved and would then lend to a better gaming experience.

To be honest I much preferred the D2 style where no one had to "click to start" and anyone could join in the middle. More freedom = more fun.
Reply Quote
I think the thing that bugs me about exploring in D3 is that unique monsters are all crap. In D2 you would stumble upon a unique named enemy and you knew it was totally on; in D3 they're weaker with worse drops than their yellow and blue comrades.

I guess ALL the uniques should be as strong as the keywardens is what I'm saying.
Reply Quote
After reading through that massive article
Grimiku linked, it's a little unnerving the
lead item dude (Travis) seemed to be
saying a lot of right things and then basically
buries runewords.
I think I, like most people who played this game,
couldn't believe that was one system that
was abandoned.
It has such amazing interactivity, chance...
i made a berzerker barb with a Doom+Beast
because i just wanted to be ridiculous and
blow a lot of stored runes.
And now i see Travis barely willing to acknowledge
the system, saying he didn't remember if a bow needed
5 or 6 sockets......i really have to question if he even played D2.

I can't tell if it's true indifference, jealousy of an amazing system..
i just don't get it.
He also says he would prefer the cool bonuses to be on
hard-to-get sets which sounds kind of lame.
Generally, people wear sets for some extended survivability
and maybe bonus damage, not because it shoots a fireball
if you have 5 pieces or something.
Reply Quote
I think the thing that bugs me about exploring in D3 is that unique monsters are all crap. In D2 you would stumble upon a unique named enemy and you knew it was totally on; in D3 they're weaker with worse drops than their yellow and blue comrades.

I guess ALL the uniques should be as strong as the keywardens is what I'm saying.

I'll second this...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]