Diablo® III

Allow playing in all Acts via Waypoint-system

I really love this idea. I will be happy, if even at the very end of each act all bosses will be at their places. And not even main bosses.
Other storyline NPC, such as Jondar, Mira Eamon, Moek, Larel and Karel brothers, or Zoltun Kull's body parts guardians will respawn as well.
It will be a huuuge + for D3 if travel to another acts will exists, and all bosses will be at their places.

I know, there's something which doesn't fit to this idea, the Nephalem Valor system.
Bosses like Skeleton King, or Ghom can drop new Archon recipes. But first we have to collect 5NV.
With open world it will be too easy. Just collect 5NV once and kill all bosses.
But i think there is a way. After travel to another act by waypoints we loose not all NVs but maybe 2 stacks. And after kill boss who gives us extra reward, we loose some stacks too.

Nephalem Valor system isn't bad, but it is a fact, we loose some freedom because of it.
Edited by TeKo#2446 on 6/25/2013 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I completely agree, one big step in the right direction! Would make the game much more immersive, and the game seem "bigger", just like Diablo 2..

Open waypoints please!
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 12:46 PMPosted by TeKo

Why is that too easy? Dear god why? It isn't like you would collect 5NV, click on a wp, and then everything everywhere would instantly die and loot would rain from the sky, is it? You're still actually playing the game and killing things right? That would be more than like 13 out of 14 purchasers are doing now.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 06:21 PMPosted by jt217

Wyatt Cheng talked a little bit about making the world of Sanctuary more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]open[/url] in his interview with ArchonTheWizard, but it's to early to have more details on how it would work. I think this all comes back to having more [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#travis-content-choices"]choices in content[/url] (something Travis Day talks about), and that's something we're definitely interested in providing more of.

I know that you don't have any control over this and it's really not up to you, but the fact that you have to start a new game to change acts is truly pathetic.

+1
Reply Quote
I really love this idea. I will be happy, if even at the very end of each act all bosses will be at their places. And not even main bosses.
Other storyline NPC, such as Jondar, Mira Eamon, Moek, Larel and Karel brothers, or Zoltun Kull's body parts guardians will respawn as well.
It will be a huuuge + for D3 if travel to another acts will exists, and all bosses will be at their places.

I know, there's something which doesn't fit to this idea, the Nephalem Valor system.
Bosses like Skeleton King, or Ghom can drop new Archon recipes. But first we have to collect 5NV.
But i think there is a way. After travel to another act by waypoints we loose not all NVs but maybe 2 stacks. And after kill boss who gives us extra reward, we loose some stacks too.

Nephalem Valor system isn't bad, but it is a fact, we loose some freedom because of it.

Nephalem is there to prevent you to change skills all the time e.g. before an act boss. It would still fulfill its purpose when you can kill all bosses in all acts in an open world. No problem there :-)
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Vyleblud
So get rid of NV anyway. It was a dumb idea when it was implemented. The bonus is nice, but it was a quick fix thrown in that has created more hassle then it's worth. Because no matter what the goal of the game, the very first thing everyone does is go get 5 stacks, before they do whatever it was they were going to do. So just dump it.

The intent of NV was to keep people changing skills on the fly (huge cool down btw) but doing so keeps us locked into the 6 we chose for the whole game. This is counter productive to allowing us to decide what we need for each challenge and was something I was against from the beginning anyway. I thought giving us only 6 skills, was a huge nerf from D2, where we had access to anything we unlocked. (I had a character that actively used 14 skills) Again this was a quick fix to a non-issue, that only constrains player choice.

I do agree the only way an open world could work is if they removed the starting quest option upon making a game. Just keep it simple like d2. If you haven't completed a quest, it will show in the quest, log and go where ever you need to to complete it. Other wise, all quests are done, but the bosses/ mini bosses remain. It worked great in D2.

This would also let parties that work good together, stay together longer, because now there are 4 acts of stuff to clear in one game.
Edited by ChaosLeech#1406 on 6/25/2013 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I'll quote Wyatt Cheng in this post so you guys don't have to follow the link I posted earlier.

We've talked about open world, where you can skip story and cinematics. I shouldn't use the word, "talked about". That can be ambiguous, where it can mean "oh it was mentioned" as opposed to, "no, we actually sat down and assessed the production cost, and time, and weighed it against other opportunities." We can't chase everything at once, so we have to look at the 100 things we could do, and pick the ones that we want to do. If we do for example, a no-quest open world mode, then we might not be able to do an alternate monster distribution for an area. That's not an accurate comparison, but we definitely look at all the things that we'd like to do. For alternate distribution, I'll mention that: I would love if I came by an area, and it wasn't always the same monsters. Diablo 2 did some of that, where you came through an area and the distribution was different. It still made sense artistically for the area, but there was a little more variety.

I know a lot of you would like more concrete details on dates, or even a time frame estimate, but I don't have any to share right now. We’d still prefer to talk about things we're working on as early as possible rather than remaining silent (caveat: I know there are some of you who may disagree with this approach). That said, I think what Wyatt is talking about sounds pretty awesome, and we’ve seen a bunch of posts from the community on this topic. A lot of you mentioned it would be cool if there was a mode where there was an open world mode with no story, and I think it's good for you to know that there are senior developers on the same page.
Reply Quote
"We've talked about"
"Its on the table"
"We don't have anything further to add"

Ah, the story of Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
I'll quote Wyatt Cheng in this post so you guys don't have to follow the link I posted earlier.

We've talked about open world, where you can skip story and cinematics. I shouldn't use the word, "talked about". That can be ambiguous, where it can mean "oh it was mentioned" as opposed to, "no, we actually sat down and assessed the production cost, and time, and weighed it against other opportunities." We can't chase everything at once, so we have to look at the 100 things we could do, and pick the ones that we want to do. If we do for example, a no-quest open world mode, then we might not be able to do an alternate monster distribution for an area. That's not an accurate comparison, but we definitely look at all the things that we'd like to do. For alternate distribution, I'll mention that: I would love if I came by an area, and it wasn't always the same monsters. Diablo 2 did some of that, where you came through an area and the distribution was different. It still made sense artistically for the area, but there was a little more variety.

I know a lot of you would like more concrete details on dates, or even a time frame estimate, but I don't have any to share right now. We’d still prefer to talk about things we're working on as early as possible rather than remaining silent (caveat: I know there are some of you who may disagree with this approach). That said, I think what Wyatt is talking about sounds pretty awesome, and we’ve seen a bunch of posts from the community on this topic. A lot of you mentioned it would be cool if there was a mode where there was an open world mode with no story, and I think it's good for you to know that there are senior developers on the same page.

Please put this at the top of the list, this game desperately needs it.
Reply Quote

Please put this at the top of the list, this game desperately needs it.

I would go for randomized random events before that. =/
Reply Quote
"We've talked about"
"Its on the table"

I find these "replies" disrespectful. I have a job and deadlines as well, but the difference is I actually get things done. It's saddening to hear this from the CM and Devs over and over again.
Reply Quote
i think you should talk it out with the higher ups to have them provide more resources on fixing this game so that you guys can gain back some reputation before it's way too late.

If money is the soul reason behind all this prolonging dogmatic, everyone knows the company is rich.
Reply Quote
"We've talked about"
"Its on the table"

I find these "replies" disrespectful. I have a job and deadlines as well, but the difference is I actually get things done. It's saddening to hear this from the CM and Devs over and over again.

What can you really expect them to do with D3? There are so many underlining issue's.... this open world concept, although I love it, is more "add-on content" than a much needed fix.

If this concept is implemented, don't expect it to come free in a patch - it'll most likely be in the expansion (if they ever get to it).
Reply Quote

You know whats the problem? that such thing should be an option from beggining, becouse it was in D2 and it worked. And you know whats another problem? that you need 1year of us players telling you that it should be ingame, and yet when you said "ok" we have to wait another months or even year to see it happen.
Reply Quote
^a good example is the ID-all button.

Now, let the /nopickup option be next.

These are very easily to be implemented and sadly, it took way longer than expected to be there. And note: these things work perfectly in D2. Understand your game before you make a sequel of it!

gg.

P.S. gg = good grief
Reply Quote
Like someone stated those kind of blue answers are unacceptable.

I dont mean to be rude but is the truth, plain and simple: "unacceptable".

I guess we have to wait 2-3 more years for the game to be finally finished and polished.

Ya, I know they're not obligated to do those things we have been asking for 13 months, they already have our money

cheers
Edited by ZaPLaS#1243 on 6/25/2013 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well we know Ladder is confirmed for the expansion more or less, open world mode maybe expansion as well, they know these are highly requested, so it's more likely you will buy the expansion for them
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 01:45 PMPosted by Grimiku
A lot of you mentioned it would be cool if there was a mode where there was an open world mode with no story, and I think it's good for you to know that there are senior developers on the same page.

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned in the history of Diablo III's existence but has there ever been any consideration on, not only making the game open world mode with no story but, also making the game one world where everyone logs in to the same environment.. like WoW, PoE, or Marvel Heroes?

Perhaps for the expansion :) It seems to be the modern arpg approach.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 02:43 PMPosted by Lord
A lot of you mentioned it would be cool if there was a mode where there was an open world mode with no story, and I think it's good for you to know that there are senior developers on the same page.

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned in the history of Diablo III's existence but has there ever been any consideration on, not only making the game open world mode with no story but, also making the game one world where everyone logs in to the same environment.. like WoW, PoE, or Marvel Heroes?

Perhaps for the expansion :) It seems to be the modern arpg approach.
#

Na. Stay diabloish. Make the lobby the social feature of diablo and ingame as private as it always was.
Reply Quote

This sounds good but is it really that difficult to implement both features, a way point system to connect all acts and also have different monsters in different areas. Lets also not forget we were promised some kind of revolutionary randomization system for map areas where it would feel like a completely "new" place to discover every time but this was clearly not the case. The only randomization are those stupid side quests.

I also think the devs need to be a bit more open about their future plans so they can gather community feedback. This whole notion speech that I heard either Travis or Wyatt give about "As developers we have to know whats best for gamers where gamers might not always know whats best for them" This is the same mentality that you guys were spewing on us over a year ago about how great Diablo3 was. This is completely arrogant and stupid. Community feedback is the best way to determine if the company is making the right choices. Look at recent events with Microsoft on the xbox1 they did a complete 180 on their DRM/online policy. If blizzard doesn't do make the right choices because they're too arrogant to get community feedback because they think their little dev room talks are too top secret for the community then we have a problem where the devs shut themselves off from the community. The main thing you guys at blizzard need to stop with this notion that your games "should be easy enough for your grandma to play" give me f***** break, PC gaming has always been the most hardcore of gaming just... stop
Edited by NOLLegendz#1445 on 6/25/2013 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]