Diablo® III

Porting PC characters to Console

I would definitely be interested in playing the Console version of Diablo 3 if I could bring my PC characters along for the ride. As it stands right now, if I were to pick up the Console version, I can't see why I'd play occasionally on the console and again on the PC to visit my original characters - it just makes no sense.

I get that you would want the Console realms to be "fresh" and full of new characters, but I think you also have a market of players who would want to make the switch who are unwilling to as a result of being unable to bring their characters over.

Could there be a solution - say, perhaps a separate Console realm for Ported characters?

I don't know if that's the right answer, but I think it behooves Blizzard to come up with the answer because solving this will result in additional sales.
Reply Quote
100% not gonna happen
Reply Quote
I would also be interested in the new play style that the console offers but There is no way that i am going start all over.
Reply Quote
You can't please all of the people all of the time.

While there may be players that would like to port their characters, it's unclear whether there are enough to make it worthwhile to implement a system like that. Plus, there are also players who would not want a feature like that to be implemented, which balances out to some degree the players who do.
Reply Quote
Being able to load and play your characters that were created on PC or Mac should be technically trivial. All Blizzard would have to do is *not* purposely segment their D3 databases by platform. There may be legal issues however, that would cause Blizzard to keep separate databases and servers for each platform. Microsoft is known to discourage cross-platform play for example:

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-because-of-a-sil-723669207

Being able to play together with PC or Mac players is an entirely different matter that may indeed have greater technical challenges.
Reply Quote
The fact of the matter is that this is a different game, it's not a port. Gameplay mechanics differ greatly between the two iterations so cross-platform play or transfer of characters is off the table.
Reply Quote
Well then what is the point of playing if we cannot pick up where we left off? I think this is a major drawback and most likely will filter off their purchases. Replay value is already limited, so why limit it further.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 07:07 AMPosted by Subzerowolf
Well then what is the point of playing if we cannot pick up where we left off? I think this is a major drawback and most likely will filter off their purchases. Replay value is already limited, so why limit it further.

If the replay value is already limited, why would you want to eliminate a major aspect of the game which is to level your characters from Normal to Inferno?

Why would you want to pay $60 for different UI for the same characters?

If you bought Madden for the 360, PS3 and Wii, you wouldn't get to transfer anything. This is no different.
Reply Quote
Blizzard definitely won't support this. But, looking at how many people are hacking their console accounts, it should be pretty straight forward to transfer your gear/etc by yourself.
Reply Quote
The problem is simply that its a very different game, and it functions differently. It's a more pure Diablo experience, i would absolutely tell people to turn to the console version. The AH ruins the game, the drops will never be like they are in the console because of it, loot 2.0 or not.
Reply Quote
It is really not that hard to "start all over." I bought the game on a Thursday evening. Played for about 20 hours over the weekend and can now farm MP2 out of 5.

I never once felt like it was grindy or boring. Console brought a whole new excitement to the game for me. If your someone who was like me with PC and logged in, checked AH, ran a run or two and then logged out because they didn't feel like playing anymore get the game for console. New loot makes the game so fun because I can try all these crazy builds and can make them effective thanks to great loot drops.
Reply Quote
It doesn't take you long to get back you in farming state. Lots of upgrades while leveling and guaranteed a legendary on diablo first kill. Last night I found a manticore on my first play through on hell diablo. That bumped my dps to 100k. I bet I can get up to 150k today probably by just playing through inferno story mode.
Reply Quote
I would definitely be interested in playing the Console version of Diablo 3 if I could bring my PC characters along for the ride. As it stands right now, if I were to pick up the Console version, I can't see why I'd play occasionally on the console and again on the PC to visit my original characters - it just makes no sense.

I get that you would want the Console realms to be "fresh" and full of new characters, but I think you also have a market of players who would want to make the switch who are unwilling to as a result of being unable to bring their characters over.

Could there be a solution - say, perhaps a separate Console realm for Ported characters?

I don't know if that's the right answer, but I think it behooves Blizzard to come up with the answer because solving this will result in additional sales.

Bah, I just remade my WD. It would be nice, but not likely. I do wish my console guys would be tracked on this website though.
Reply Quote
I put probably 500-600 hours into PC version and gladly swapped for the Xbox version. Fresh start is just what I needed to be addicted to d3 like I was with d2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]