Diablo® III

Appreciate for helps on Skorn setup

Hi guys, I found this Skorn (on my WD) during my DE farming last night, so give it a try.
I'm using MCK + Serpent normally (66k HP / 230k DPS / 3400 armor / 17% IAS).

When I play using Skorn, the good of using Skorn are able to play using 1 click, don't need to care any SW or SH for mana, can stand like a man vs RD elites with ground effects, and it Crit a lot harder; the downside will be the EHP affected, tick a lot slower, and the Crit yellow number is lesser too compare to 1H/Mojo.

So, may I know is the 41.5% CC enough for Skorn setup?
What are the gears to change for improvement?
Is it advisable to add IAS gears on glove/ring?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
So, may I know is the 41.5% CC enough for Skorn setup?
What are the gears to change for improvement?
Is it advisable to add IAS gears on glove/ring?

41.5% is most definitely enough cc for a Skorn build. Skorn users naturally have lower cc but higher cd than a 1h build. It basically equals out. However, Skorn has a lower base dps , which is compensated for by 6% life steal. Imo with your setup you would benefit most from using a Skorn, simply because you will be able to tank better and therefore channel bats longer.

In terms of gear changes, you don't currently have any specific weaknesses with your build. There aren't any clear upgrades. Overall it's a nicely balanced wd :) If I were in your position I would focus all future upgrades on increasing dps without sacrificing ehp. Your chest would be a good start (+50 intel possible). As your dps increases, you'll notice you can survive much better on mp10 due to your high life steal.

In terms of ias, that depends purely on your preferences. Skorn users can comfortably use 3 ias items without compensating with mana passives, and I know quite a few wds that can easily run with 4 (though this requires good use of mana). I also know great Skorn users that don't run with any additional attack speed. As I say, it's a preference thing. If you want to upgrade your gloves just craft and see what happens. If the best gloves you roll also happen to have attack speed then your path is clear :)
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advise, :)

Skorn setup require better EHP in each gear slot too, I need to craft shoulder with more VIT and similar bracer with AR by now. Too bad I sold my trifecta glove before I found this Skorn.

WD really nice to play, powerful than my Barb in new mob density.
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 09:42 PMPosted by KentLau
Skorn setup require better EHP in each gear slot too

Actually Skorn users require less ehp than 1h. The additional 3% life steal you get from using a Skorn is worth a lot of ehp. In my experience you only need enough ehp to take 1 or 2 shots from the most powerful units in the act and survive. I run with ~450k ehp, but I think in general 500k is nice and 600k is more than enough.

You only need to survive long enough to run into the middle of a group of monsters. As soon as you're attacking, ehp becomes less relevent. From then on, dps is your best friend. It kills monsters faster (reducing chance of death) and also improves survivability (more life/sec when attacking).

Don't sacrifice ehp for dps upgrades. And in general if you can get a little extra armor and AR it will definitely help. But dps should be your priority for upgrades now that you're using a Skorn.
Reply Quote
You should be perfectly fine.. your gear is much better then mine.. and I can handle 8 easily... 10 is a little bit tougher as need to move around more especially with the plague / desecrate elites
Reply Quote
You may wish to consider getting 1-2 skills that slow the enemies so that when you channel COB, mobs get hit more often.

e.g. Soul Harvest -> Languish, or similar to MikeAkaJB, Grasp of the Dead -> Groping Eels.
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 11:33 PMPosted by RYUKITSU
e.g. Soul Harvest -> Languish, or similar to MikeAkaJB, Grasp of the Dead -> Groping Eels.

Nah... Hex is a better skill because mobs that have the AI to run and kite are not immune to Hex. For all the other mobs that do not run and kite, you want them to come in quickly to get killed, do not slow them down.
Reply Quote
You should be perfectly fine.. your gear is much better then mine.. and I can handle 8 easily... 10 is a little bit tougher as need to move around more especially with the plague / desecrate elites

I only play MP10 for WD & barb, except my TR monk play MP7/8 for DE farming.

You may wish to consider getting 1-2 skills that slow the enemies so that when you channel COB, mobs get hit more often.

I use Hex for those running around mobs/elites, or with those teammates with EF.
For the 4th skill i really do not have idea. I saw some use BBV, while I choose Mass Confusion. I shall try other skills to test the fun.

I'm in dilemma of MCK/Mojo or Skorn now.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 12:03 AMPosted by KentLau
I'm in dilemma of MCK/Mojo or Skorn now.

For 1H path, if you're using Manaj mojo, maybe maybe consider MCK. Otherwise, always go for rare weapon (spear or mace). MCK has among the lowest black damage rolls among all the end-game choices and consumes mana like a sports car consuming fuel and lacking in performance, definitely among the worst value for the same cost in gold.

The best value for the budget is still the Skorn.

Also, you don't need to choose 1 or the other, you can have both types of weapons and play according to your mood.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 12:59 AMPosted by PaulNg
MCK has among the lowest black damage rolls among all the end-game choices and consumes mana like a sports car consuming fuel and lacking in performance, definitely among the worst value for the same cost in gold.

Paul I'll have to disagree with you here. In my search for a black weapon that gave me sufficient DPS boost over my current MCK (which is by no means near the top MCKs) they were invariably 1180+ DPS swords with nat crit, sock and LS. Not even touching on the point of bad LS on rolled/dropped swords, the prices of these things ensured they were always on RMAH, and exorbitantly expensive, much more so than well rolled MCKs. Add to that you generally lose the 180+ int you get naturally on MCKs (and I havent even factored in the Mana set bonus if you have a chicken), its an even less cost efficient way of gearing. The best in server MCKs would need swords at 1200 DPS plus, possibly even with atk sp affix on them. For mana consumption swords and MCKs are equal. I'd love a good axe or spear but quality and quantity is a huge issue.
Edited by kurOsawa#2301 on 6/24/2013 1:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Alright, I think I will keep my MCK, Mojo and Skorn, since nothing wanna buy to upgrade at the moment.

Last question, for Skorn, the best gem to slot in is marquise Ruby or Emerald?
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 01:24 AMPosted by KentLau

Go to http://d3up.com/ and insert your btag to load your profile. Then in your skorn tab switch between the ruby and emerald to check. Should normally be better with an emerald.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 01:12 AMPosted by kurOsawa
Paul I'll have to disagree with you here. In my search for a black weapon that gave me sufficient DPS boost over my current MCK

I didn't say MCK has low DPS, I said the black damage component of the MCK is really low. That means, if you use Zuni boots, Tal's amulet, and SoJ, you really don't benefit much from the %elemental damage. Also, for MCK users, if they do not socket in a Ruby, some of their casting roll will have such low damage numbers that it will become a wasted cast even if it is a critical hit. That's why I suggested 1H black damage rare spear or mace (for the much higher weapon damage numbers).

06/24/2013 01:24 AMPosted by KentLau

If you crit every second (ie. 1 out of 2 ticks is a crit), it really doesn't matter. If your CHC is low, you may want a Ruby for steady life returns regardless of crit or non-crit. For my set up, the marquis grade Emerald > Ruby by only 500 DPS (negligible), so it makes no difference for me going either way.
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 01:38 AMPosted by PaulNg
I didn't say MCK has low DPS, I said the black damage component of the MCK is really low. That means, if you use Zuni boots, Tal's amulet, and SoJ, you really don't benefit much from the %elemental damage. Also, for MCK users, if they do not socket in a Ruby, some of their casting roll will have such low damage numbers that it will become a wasted cast even if it is a critical hit. That's why I suggested 1H black damage rare spear or mace (for the much higher weapon damage numbers).

I do know what elemental dmg modifers do in elemental weapons vs physical weapons. It's a given with an MCK that you use a ruby too. What Im saying is find a well rolled MCK and a comparable black weapon and compare the prices and dps. Your premise that MCK is not good value for money across the board and should only be used as a last resort is incorrect. All my weapon comparisons are done in D3up so the reduced bonus from the ele dmg modifiers are already accounted for. You can test and compare if youd like at current market prices. I'm not making it up :)
Reply Quote
Tested both setup, Skorn is strong but have issue vs Fallen Maniac sometime due to the slower tick rate, can't kill it in time. While for 1h/Mojo have the usual issue vs RD elite with ground effect, need position correctly with SW.

I try pair with IAS/CC glove for Skorn setup, it attack faster but low Crit number, look like I need to trifecta glove to use Skorn. :)
Reply Quote
06/24/2013 05:49 PMPosted by KentLau
I try pair with IAS/CC glove for Skorn setup, it attack faster but low Crit number, look like I need to trifecta glove to use Skorn. :)

Typically 2 - 4 pieces of IAS, depending on what type of corresponding skill build you like to play with.
As for your gloves, CHC and CHD is still better than IAS and CHC. Unless you can afford to buy or you're lucky to craft a trifecta.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]