Diablo® III

Can I use an axe instead of EF?

It seems every barb who uses a 1h wep chooses the EF, and for a good reason. It's just damn good.

My question is, can I choose to use a 1-h axe over the EF and achieve a similar result?

My barb will be a throwing barb, with wep throw + ancient spear, and I intend to stay in-character, which means using a 1-h Axe and a 1-h Spear(300th).

As I 've never played a barb before, anyone mind telling me if this is a lost cause, or I can get some sick 1-h axes over the EF, on a budget of 300 mil? (including other gear)
Reply Quote
You'll be forced to not use an EF if your budget is just 300M. There's probably no EFs for sale that cheap unless they are not that good (low dps, no socket, high fear, low attack speed, no crit damage, etc.)
Edited by MasterPUA#6728 on 6/23/2013 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Let's say you have two 1.2 speed weapons, EF and a Spear. The EF has + .25 attacks. Now both weapons have 1.45 attack speed, not just the EF. If you have an axe and a spear, you'd have 1.2 on both. The more attack speed you have, the more the .25 does for you. With 50% it'd do .37 or so. It just gets higher. In the end, your DPS is much higher, but only because you hit faster.
Reply Quote
View profile
You'll be forced to not use an EF if your budget is just 300M. There's probably no EFs for sale that low unless they are not that good (low dps, no socket, high fear, low attack speed, etc.)

frankillah is a good example of a non EF user. He has top flight gear which isnt necessary to make a non-EF setup work. AFAIK weapon throw alternates weapon to determine damage, so breakpoints aren't as important as having 2 solid weapons. I'm also guessing that you will need a much lower threshold of IAS to maintain wrath than a double nado build.

I would recommend reading the WT guide in the sticky. I assume there is one.
Reply Quote
Axes can be great MH if your not gona use EF but you need good stats with it in order to be in par with EF. I use axe because I need to hit that 2.5 with my current asp in gears even when I switch to to the best mace out it will only lower my tdps because I will lose that .1 asp from weapon.

@Phat what do you mean "is not necessary to make a non-EF setup to work"?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]