Diablo® III

Advice on WD build for max DPS

I would have opted out of all that ridiculous attack speed. It's not a good thing for WD.
I would never have bought an echoing fury, and instead, a manajuma's knife.
Or even a Skorn for lower MP (pestilence) and/or bears.
Inna's pants are stupid should have opted for high EHP rare, depth diggers, or blackthorne's.
You have no LoH or LS, so I don't know how you plan on surviving.

Wouldn't have bought ToTD w/o 8.5 CC. Would have dropped that measly 81 Vita for more DPS.

300m was a good budget. You could have done a lot better if you consulted someone or took them time to research a build so you had an end goal.
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 06:08 PMPosted by JJLXL
I never run out. Like, never. I can literally hold down frogs all day long and mana goes nowhere. With the odd lob glob here and there, I'm all set. :)

So can any one with a mediocre WD...the mana cost of frogs is insignificant....12. It would be near impossible to run out of mana with this skill.
Reply Quote
IMO talking about sheet DPS with a WD is kind of pointless. That said, it depends a lot on how you intend to play. 300k or 400k is nothing to laugh at, you'll kill !@#$ pretty quick, but you still need to gear towards a certain build (pestilence, CoB, Bears, 0-dog). My HC WD's sheet DPS is lower than OPs (137k) but I run a Skorn, and my CoB crits close to 4m max buffed. It depends on how you want to play.

WD has 2 awesome nuke abilities - CoB and Bears. Nuke abilities benefit a great deal from weapons with a high base dmg like Skorn. I don't honestly know how people with a Manajuma's or EF or another 1h, and an OH choose to play, but I'd think with all that inherent IAS (not to mention you're all stacking IAS to push your sheet DPS higher like it's your friend), you've got to just be chewing through mana. There aren't many decent WD abilities that benefit from a high channeling rate, all you do is power through mana. So now you're attaching all these mana recovery abilities or runes just to keep mana up, losing space for offensive or defensive abilities. I was using Spirit Walk's mana regen rune for quite awhile and I think I still have it on, but I've gotten away from having to use it with max mana >1000, so now I can focus on runes that enhance its escape utility.

Poster above said something about Skorn being only for lower MP - not sure where you're getting that from. I farm MP6 just fine (once again folks, HC - so my MP6 is your MP12)) with my 6LS. I don't even need 6. Pretty soon I'll upgrade to a higher CD Skorn with 5-5.6 because I routinely get 30k-50k life back on crits (and only have 62k HP).

I don't actually have Zuni chest yet, and I run Sp.At. to keep mana at the higher MP where I need to channel it a lot. With Zuni 4-set I won't need that anymore. But WD isn't a class you can immediately analyze and categorize based on sheet DPS. Yours might say 160k and mine says 130k but I run up to an elite and every time CoB ticks it does 2 million damage, and maybe yours does 800k.
Edited by Elessar54R#1878 on 6/23/2013 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
wow guys thnx for all the info, I guess I was in a hurry to max my WD...I'll do more research and see if I can make good build. thnx again everyone for the input.
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Elessar54R
Poster above said something about Skorn being only for lower MP - not sure where you're getting that from.

I never said only lower MP. Skorn is fine, don't get me wrong. I was speaking more out of preference. Typically it's something I like to combine with pestilence, which I use on my lower MP runs, so it's just what came to mind. Whatever works with your gear/for you, works, so to each their own.

I wouldn't say off-hand is necessary for high MP, but I feel they roll very beneficial stats (dmg to elites, skill bonus, mana). That being said, I like to use Skorn with pestilence for chaining kills on low MP (a1 clears), or my manajuma w/ ToTD. Higher MP stuff I stick to my Serpent.

Anyways, back to OP. You're off to a good start for a fresh character. WD has some fun and interesting skills with a fair amount of build options (by comparison). So again, I would just suggest deciding on a build before focusing on sheet DPS. This speaking from experience, as I wasted a fair amount of gold on DPS gear before researching and deciding how I wanted to play with him. My first attempt was over 200k, but my resource management was horrid. So my 200k was useless without the mana to attack. It's an underrated class for sure. Good luck with your build and have fun.
Reply Quote
No way you can survive mp10. Pets are squishy even with all possible passive, and you don't have the dps.

Firebomb do 115% damage; Acid Rain do 50% Dot; Gargan/dogs do non-AoE damage. The max avg damage you can give is ~200%, which is ok as a DH stand point but very poor in general.

It's a good mp10 leech build (get lot of IAS and PtV, to meet a "ok" paper dps).
Reply Quote
You have wayyy too much Attack Speed for a WD. If anything, WD's currently should avoid attack speed like the plague since they're limited on mana regeneration.

With that said, drop the Inna's Pants first-off. WD's facetank so they should be wearing Blackthorns/Depth Diggers or a high eHP rare pants.

Second, get rid of the EF and get a different weapon. You can use a Skorn w/ LS, or get a Manajuma's Knife / Good 1-hand w/ 2.5% LS minimum with native crit damage, plus a socket if possible. Since WD's don't rely on speed, they need to stack crit chance and damage.

Weak frog. If you stay the one-hand route, need to upgrade that. The avg damage is far too low.

The belt is okay... never really seen a Tal belt used. Witching Hour is still BiS for the WD and you can fit the Attack Speed here (and really, only here unless you can get a trifecta Zuni ring).

Gloves are decent. But, crits are low. I sacrificed Attack Speed on mine for more Crit Chance/Dmg.

Ehhh Lacunis... You need more resists since you're to facetank. High INT + AR + minimum 4% Crit crafted are BiS.

Work from there and you'll be better. My sheet DPS is only 180k before buffs, but I easily faceroll MP10 in a 4-party game.
Reply Quote
go check out WD forums...
@erotica...u got most of it right except several points
- manajumas are only good for beginners - they are terrible in the long term cuz its not a black damage weapon
- u should always have +24% MS from TWO pieces of gear (boots and inna/lacuni)
- correct gearing should have lacuni+EHP pants OR inna's temperance+crafted bracers
- frogs are terrible for DPS since they have a cap for its CC and damage - its a beginner's item

@golgo13
#1) sell echoing fury for lifesteal skorn or a rare 1h (50CD, open socket, 2.8lifesteal, 100int, no +elemental damage)
#2) sell nat reflection for any other ring
#3) replace boots for other zuni trail with int, vit, allres
#4) sell your belt...its like the worst belt ever....go for a cheap witching hour with high CD
#5) replace tal amulet with one that has CC...
#6) never go for both lacuni and temperance - i would say stick with temperance, sell your lacuni, and CRAFT bracers for (250int+, vit, AR, CC)
#7) your gloves are very underwhelming - go for high int, at least 9CC, 35+CD - preferably no IAS
Reply Quote
most in here have good advice, but theres 1 point you need to understand that most posters stated wrongly here. that is, "avoid attack speed". well, its should be stated as "attack speed is your last priority". attack speed does drain mana fast but instead of avoiding this you should get attack speed only after u pretty much maxed on other important stat like CD, CC, mainstat, Average damage(speeking in damage term).
Reply Quote
my wd was way, way more cheap (although i was given the skorn by some kind fellow slayer i met on somebodys stream (1h and mojo is much more expensive) xD)

maybe it helps you to check how other wd's are equipped before you waste such an amount of gold 8(

now you learned it the hard way ;) but better late than never
Edited by KadaverjunkY#2876 on 6/24/2013 1:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LS or LoH. You will need at least one to survive Inferno. Drop PtV, dude. Try GI or SV instead.
You don't like using your Scoundrel? :p
Reply Quote
lol @ wds in this thread stacking ias and using pierce the veil and then bragging about their dps. let me know how that sheet dps works out for you when you're out of mana after 5 sec and dead with your 40k hp and low resists
Reply Quote
go check out WD forums...
@erotica...u got most of it right except several points
- manajumas are only good for beginners - they are terrible in the long term cuz its not a black damage weapon
- u should always have +24% MS from TWO pieces of gear (boots and inna/lacuni)
- correct gearing should have lacuni+EHP pants OR inna's temperance+crafted bracers
- frogs are terrible for DPS since they have a cap for its CC and damage - its a beginner's item

What a load of terrible advice...please head to WD forums
Reply Quote
Check my build. I only hve 222k Base Dps
BUT I HAVE 59% CC and 490%CD

THEREFORE, I hit for 1-2mi almost every single hit. on mp10.
Feel free to ask any questions.
Reply Quote
Check my build. I only hve 222k Base Dps
BUT I HAVE 59% CC and 490%CD

THEREFORE, I hit for 1-2mi almost every single hit. on mp10.
Feel free to ask any questions.

ur build is beast!! I'll try and match it, I almost have what u have, the only thing is now I need to make the highest gem
Reply Quote
@golgo13

Welcome to inferno mode with your WD. Like all chars, before buying your gear, you need to think on your build. Never forget, usually you will have 3 builds: For fast farming low mps, for mp10 and for pvp. For mp10, y have 0dogs, bats and bears. Bears was really famoust before patch, but now people usually uses bats or 0dogs.

I will give you advice on bats build, making you able to tank mp10 easily.

Here is my build for mp10: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cTYidU!aXe!bYbZcc

Main attack is plague bats. This will do huge amount of AOE damage and will reduce damage of enemies by 20% with bad medicine passive. Bats has a inicial cost high, but the channeling cost is low, making it easily for channelling this skill forever. And his attack range is really ok for you to stand still and kill all monsters and elites around. Waller dont stop bats range !

The thing about bats is that you cant interupt it for using others skills, otherwise you will be out of mana really fast. That said, you have 2 skills that dont interrupt bats channeling. HEX (a great skill for elites fight and uber kulle) and Soul Harvest. Use Hex and Soul harvest everytime it cooldown, it will not stop bats channeling.

Dogs with life link will mitgate 10% of damage, and will take hits from mobs instead of y. Gargantuan with big stinker will trigger bad medicine as well

Spirit walk is a must for all WD, its your way out of any danger. Its a life saver skill.

Passives we have Jungle Fortitude, Bad Medicine and Spirit Vessel. You can change spirit vessel for other passive that you like, but with it you will hardly ever die.

Now that we have a build, lets gear for it:

To tank, you need to have mitgation, health enought to survive big hits and, the most important thing, you need to heal back your life fast. This means you need over 5 of life steal.

Buy a nice skorn with 5+ Life Steal, nice Crit Damage and int. With skorn, you will hit hard, will have nice life steal, and with the lower attack speed, you will use less mana and will be able to channel bats forever.

Your 45 mana regen will not be enought to channel bats. Buy a nice Zunis set. The boots with all res and the ring will be the most expensive, but the rest is really cheap nowdays.

Belt, use a nice witching hour, you dont need to worry for attack speed, care about crit damage on it and int. Try to get one with all res and vit too.

Pants, use on with nice all res and vit on it. Bracers, get one with Crit Chance, all res, int and vit. For shoudlers, get one with all res, int, vit and life %. Gloves you need int, CC, CD and all res, better with vit on it.The end game bracers, shoulders and gloves are crafted, you can try it.

Amulet, get one with CC and CD. Same goes for amulet, the best ones out there are crafted.

The second ring, i like Litany of undaunted, because of the 7% elite damage reduction. But you better use a nice hellfire ring for xp.

How to play: summon pets, strike with bats, and use hex and soul harvest every cooldown. Use spirit walk to get out in situations where you are not being able to tank. Of all elites affixes, you have to be careful with plague, the rest is easy to tank. With high Life Steal, you dont need to worry with reflect damage affix. This is a melle tank build, you dont need to worry with mortals as well.

Playing solo, your follower is a huge help. You can use Scoundrel with the weapon Buriza-do kyanon, for freezeing enemies. You can use Enchantress with Maximus, she will summon that cool demon and will help you tank enemies. Her skill that turns enemies into chickens is really helpful as well. Put a hellfire ring on then. Band of hollow whispers is a nice ring for follower as well.

The game has some "tests" to really test your char.

DPS Test: belial mp10
Tank Test: Ghom mp10
Big Hits Mitgation test: Dark Beserker elites, Skellking fight, Mallet Lords (Act 4)

If you can kill belial mp10, you have dps for all game on mp10. If you can tank ghom mp10, you have nice life steal. If you can tank a dark beserker or mallet lords elite fight, you can survive the biggest hits on game. Skellking has a WW attack that does huge amount of damage as well.

If you can pass on all 3 tests above, y will be able to conquer all quest on mp10, kill all bosses and solo ubers.

Take Care and Good Luck. If anyone wants to farm or pvp, add me :)
Reply Quote
300mil for that...i assume you paid some1 to gear you, why are new players so impatient and dont enjoy the game
Edited by Kingbaztard#1908 on 6/24/2013 8:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
true skorn works well and add ls and loh
Reply Quote
"Kohwalter" thnx for the huge help man great post.

the issue now is if i need good armor i need that damn demonic essence..I cant buy it from the wh so I have to farm in mp3 or above to get decent drops.
Edited by Golgo13#1739 on 6/24/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]