Diablo® III

[BUILD] - Unlimited Mana Bear, Bat and Dog WD

Index:
AAA = Intro
BBB = Min Gearing requirements.
CCC = Build + alternatives
DDD = Gameplay Tactics

AAA : Intro

Well as i am almost at the paragon 100 stage, i figured i may share with the public my build and gearing advice for any new WD's out there who are thinking of starting in my opinion the most effecient and fun class to play :) Frequently i get asked in game "omg you are kicking a$$ and you can bear for soooo long, and have zero mana issues with your attack speed!!! HOW?????" Well this lil build guild is just for you :)

Now, for starters, you MUST, read, MUST be honest with your MP level of choice. Dont step into mp10 with sub 30 yards pickup radius and under 200k unbuffed. You will fail. And fail hard.

DONT SAY I DIDNT WARN YOU!!!!

BBB : Gear
Now this build is, if you are honest with your MP level, 100% free of mana issues and you CAN stack as much IAS as you want. However, you DO require a large ammount of Pickup Radius (PUR) for this to function correctly. I Suggest a MINIMUM of 30 yards. This is easily attainable with a Thing Of The Deep (20 yards) + 2 more items. The more the better and the better the build works.
You will also want to get a Zuni 4 Piece. If you are running with a Skorn, you will want to run with a SOJ with Zombie Bear Reduct on it, if going 1h/mojo (this is ideal) get Firebat reduct on your SOJ and Zombie Bear Reduct on your mojo.
If running a 1h/mojo and NOT a ToTD (if you have 20+ yards of pickup on your gear) a good endgame MJ or Zuni SoS is great for mojo. a SoS is BiS for this build, this enables you to run either a CC mempo (damage!!!) or a Visage of Guiya (if mana poor still)

CCC : Skills
Base of the Build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fcUdV!Z!ccabb
Now you may be wondering why i left some skills blank and empty. Basically you can fill in what you wish in the rest of the slots, but, myself personally i run with this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fcUdVQ!ZTY!ccabbb
Now i will explain my choices and skillset based on the top build, and give options for what can be filled in the blanks :)

Left Click : Zombie Charger : Zombie Bears - great all around attack. Huge damage. Decent AOE. Life Steal works a treat. Good for close to mid/far range attacks. Can be a hassle to aim when 1st use the skill, and you figure out how to "bearstream - bears in single file" but its tried, true and works.

Right Click : Plague of Bats : Cloud Of Bats. - MASSIVE damage. Huge. very limited range and HUGE mana cost initially. Does just melt anything in game quickly. Possibly the hardest hitting skill in the game at moment.

Button 1 : Spirit Walk : Jaunt - your OOOOOHHHH SHIVER MY TIMBERS button. Used to escape, not die, movement speed buff and survive Vs reflect. While you are in spirit realm you cannot die. If your ghost gets hammered tho, you WILL come back to mortal realm and you CAN die. Be Warned!

Button 2 : Spirit Vessel : Languish - Huge damage buff. Also sends your resestances up as well. Why use Languish and not any of the others? Well as my gameplay vids will show, you run into middle of a pack in spirit walk, cast spirit vessel and SLOW effected enemy's for 3 seconds then cast bats. Normally within 3 seconds the white trash is dead, packs are 50% dead, and they have not started to attack you as they are SOOOOOO slowed.

Button 3 : Sacrifice : Pride - Mana regen. 1st we kill the enemy, then you get the dogs, then you Sac for the mana. Win. The damage they deal is a nice added bonus. The build is built around this!

Button 4 : YOUR CHOICE!!!! Personally i like Big Bad Voodoo : Slam Dance. Extra damage buff for myself and party. Other possible contenders in this slot are Hex : Jinx for Vs1 damage buffs, or Horrify : Frightning Aspect for the extra armor Vs reflect packs. I would advise using Horrify until your mitigation and life steal is high enough that reflect is no longer a problem.

PASSIVES :
Passive 1 : CIRCLE OF LIFE. Critical to the build. This is where the Pickup radius comes in, plus the realism on your MP level of choice. You MUST be able to smoke down the white trash so you can spawn a dog or 3, before you go out of mana. And you will go Out Of Mana quick enough. The larger your PUR, the more dogs you can spawn for free, and the more extra mana you get from Sacrifice.

Passive 2 + 3 : Your choice. I like Gruesome Feast / Grave Injustice. Huge damage buffs. Cooldown's lower. Not for the undergeared tho in higher MP levels.
If you are squishy, Jungle Fort + Blood Magic works nice, but honestly you can put whatever you like in here.

DDD : Gameplay

On my twitch i have recorded some basic video's on skills and tactics to use Vs white trash. Please pardon the horrible quality as i am on an Australian connection.

P.S any deaths i am blaming on being drinking for past 4 hours!!!

Here is the direct link to some gameplay video's of my WD in action to get an idea on HOW to run this build. Dont mind the death, i am a little drunk at moment! Gearwise i am wearing the gear i did the video on my profile now so you can checkit there.

http://www.twitch.tv/skitzflik/b/420696276

pardon the heavy breathing as well i noticed on playback but WD's just make me HAWT!!!

Give it a shot and see what you think!

Cheers!

Skitz
Edited by skitzflik#1694 on 6/23/2013 3:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Reserved
Reply Quote
tl;dr
Overgear content, use on death passives.

1 asi item = high asp? O.o
Reply Quote
View profile
A few thoughts;

1. I use to exclusively use bears. Then I tried the new and improved Plague Bats. Now I just use Plague Bats and Well of Souls because I honestly haven't found any situations when one of those two skills couldn't get the job done.
But a lot of people seem to like bears and bats together. To me they are very similar skills, with the same range.

2. I also noticed that you recommend 30 feet of pickup, but then you mention Skorn users. A Skorn user would be lucky to get/have 15 feet of pickup. But that's not to say I haven't seen at least some Skorn users run this type of build with small amounts of pickup radius.

3. As bats have much lower mana requirements than bears, I would think all mana reduction should be aimed at bears, Pesonally, as a Skorn user, I wouldn't use a SoJ for mana reduction. Skorn users shouldn't need mana reduction. However, many Skorn users like the SoJ for elite damage, but I'm not one of them.

Good job describing your build. I'll link it up in the guide soon.
Reply Quote
Bears have a longer range then PB. Correct me if I am wrong yet my PB fan range can not reach the bear range.
Reply Quote
View profile
06/23/2013 07:00 AMPosted by Gotcha
Bears have a longer range then PB. Correct me if I am wrong yet my PB fan range can not reach the bear range.

Yes that's true. Throw your back against a wall and you have double the usual bear range. But that's not always the case, and like I said I use WoS, which has a greater range then bears under any conditions (and it goes through walls).
A less mana costly ranged skill would seem to compliment PB better than bears, but everyone has to play the way they prefer.
Reply Quote

Yes that's true. Throw your back against a wall and you have double the usual bear range. But that's not always the case, and like I said I use WoS, which has a greater range then bears under any conditions (and it goes through walls).
A less mana costly ranged skill would seem to compliment PB better than bears, but everyone has to play the way they prefer.

I just like melting stuff and then get lazy on the mouse button and watch them run away and die rather then continually hitting the mouse key + PB offers a great initial buff before switching to bears to help in the damage. IF PB did not go through walls and all I also would use WoS with my bears probably since PB is there on my build not only for the added buff damage with bears but also to go through walls and kill the runners which IMO is very important just as you do with your skill setup I just love bears haha.

xD
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 6/23/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the only time you would need 30 pur is if you are using acid cloud/fire bomb. vengeful spirit is a much better rune than languish. just use devouring swarm and then you can drop the worthless sacrifice and circle of life skills.
Edited by danitefox#1989 on 6/23/2013 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 06:34 AMPosted by skywalkerfx

No need Sky...this is at the base, Raki's build. People are just realizing what they can do with it.
Reply Quote
skywalkerfx : well 30 PUR isnt mandatory, nor 15 for Skorn, i have just found that the more the better with PUR, it spawns more dogs, to get more Sac, to get more mana.

I like having reduct on both spells personally, with bats wearing my mempo,innas, WH and some other attack speed gear, having -10 cost + Zuni 4Pc + offhand mana regen i am at mana neutral, or slightly mana positive.

danitefox : i find that that vengeful spirits damage is a little weak, compared to the slowing effect of languish. Works great for those annoying "run away" type mobs, i.e Act1 KW, Fallen Mages, Act2 Bee-spitters etc. The slow duration beats the damage that vengeful spirit can throw down.
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 11:58 AMPosted by rockon87

No need Sky...this is at the base, Raki's build. People are just realizing what they can do with it.

I agree with this. The build is pretty much the same except it doesn't use the actual zombie dog skill which means the dogs summoned from the CoL passive give no extra bonuses. If I remember correctly Raki's build used Final Gift dogs to pump up GF and to supplement his life pool since he generally used 0 lifesteal, which is rare among WDs. Having summon dogs on your skill bar also usually ensures you can get three full pools of mana during an elite fight. Kill trash to get dogs, empty pool, sac dogs, summon more dogs (if there's no trash left), empty pool, sac dogs, empty pool.

As for the last skill slot, there's a couple of skills I'm surprised went unmentioned. BBV - Boogie Man, MC - Devolution, and Grasp of the Dead - Death is Life are all serious contenders I'd say. More dogs = more sacrifices = more mana = more damage.
Reply Quote
I'm going to be honest here, your quote put me in the mindset you were trying to sell this as a solution to infinite attack speed on the pretext you can always lower mp.

Gave it another look, watched the vid, looked over the build. I've got no issues with the message you're trying to sell. At its core it's a solid method of farming the content.

Kudos on the top 3 WD builds mashup. :P
Reply Quote
I always make Dogs my left-click option simply because it's always cooling down. If it's usually cooling down I won't accidentally activate it since it is always the same button that moves your character around.
Reply Quote
i've just started my wd career. by looking at my profile you can probably see that I have a touch of ADD. I can't stay with one toon forever. That being said the WD offers so may different varients that I don't feel bogged down by cookie cutter specs. Also, I like my choices with 2h , 1h offhand. I started with skorn but as you can see I have moved on to 1h offhand.

My damage may seem low but with CoB I still slaughter solo mp10 easily. The high hp is just me messing around. I find that it is far more fun to "play" this class because there is so much room for personal preference.

I'm going to give the sacrifice idea a go today.

I don't have much to add to this discussion, only to say that i've found the WD community to be the most helpful intuitive bunch of nerds in the game.
Reply Quote
Skitz, I wanted to revisit this build.

I see now you have two pieces of PUR for 7+5.

Not pictured, but I normally have two pieces of PUR. (Wrong shoulders, although it was called bear gear, so I guess I can't be blamed)

Also, you have a really nice Uhk serpent with mana regen. Have you considered the SoS + Tal's chest?
I have a String of Skulls, for which I lose 13k DPS compared to my equally sweet uhk serpent, but then I can swap in the Tal's chest for +8k DPS. Each bear does less damage, but CoB does more damage with the set bonus.

The other is, you are using a SoJ with -firebats. I found the -firebats SoJ didn't really help me for farming elites and trash. Maybe with Sacrifice, it doesn't really matter at all.

p.s. I am jealous of your spear. +10k DPS for me.

edit: Last login 6 months ago. Look at the max mana String of skulls:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/%E6%86%A8%E7%8B%97%E6%9C%9B%E6%9C%88%E4%BA%AE-3779/hualiang/26934672
What a waste.
Edited by MCP#1477 on 11/15/2013 11:26 PM PST
Reply Quote

p.s. I am jealous of your spear. +10k DPS for me.

I want :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]