Diablo® III

Ranged and Melee Attacks?

From what i know i.e. rend and wave of light are considered ranged attacks and hota melee. Is there any info or even a full list about all attack skills regarding ranged or melee category?
Reply Quote
I don't think there is such a list. Perhaps wave of light is also melee as well, as my friend took damage when he tested wave of light on me with thorn gears. Would that mean Wave of light is both melee and ranged? If so, it sounds that stacking both DR from melee and missile attacks can further reduce the damage done on us against WoL. By the way, I am sure SSS is purely ranged.

If you want to make the list for every player, I am happy to volunteer.
Edited by Avogato#1976 on 6/26/2013 6:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
People on the wizard forum mentioned a PvE list of range/melee classification for attacks like molten explosion, but no such list for PvP exists.

I usually rely on ice armor to determine the status of an attack since melee attacks trigger freeze with it on. WoL does not trigger freeze while rend does. WoL might count as both melee and ranged, but I think thorns is based on the distance you attack from as opposed to the attack you use. This would explain Avogato's observation that WoL could be both.

If you want to test out the distance status of attacks using ice armor, add me in game.
Reply Quote
From DH, all attacks are probably considered ranged (except Companion). Also, here is another tidbit of information, Elite Damage Reduction does NOT work for pets and constructs! A Sentry's or Companion's damage is not considered elite. I think the same applies to Mystic Ally, Zombie Dogs, Fetishes, Gargantuans, Hydras, and the 3 Call of Arreat heroes.
Reply Quote
Iria,

I have two follow-up questions:

06/26/2013 09:24 AMPosted by Iria
From DH, all attacks are probably considered ranged (except Companion)

Is fan of knives considered melee even with the extra distance rune?

06/26/2013 09:24 AMPosted by Iria
A Sentry's or Companion's damage is not considered elite.

Is their damage increased if the player who summoned them is using a SoJ?
Reply Quote
Haven't tested but I think Fan of Knives is ranged and since the damage from the pets are tied to the player's damage which is boosted by damage to elites, I think SoJ will help pets' damage (but not damage to enemy pets).
Reply Quote
People on the wizard forum mentioned a PvE list of range/melee classification for attacks like molten explosion, but no such list for PvP exists.

I usually rely on ice armor to determine the status of an attack since melee attacks trigger freeze with it on. WoL does not trigger freeze while rend does. WoL might count as both melee and ranged, but I think thorns is based on the distance you attack from as opposed to the attack you use. This would explain Avogato's observation that WoL could be both.

If you want to test out the distance status of attacks using ice armor, add me in game.

As I have heard but not quite tested, some runes of WoL are not melee, but ranged. However, using the thorn gears method yields that all of them are all melee. Even so, it never negates the possibility of their being missile as well. I heard that the wall of light is missile and explosive light is melee.

From thorns method, I conclude that WoL is melee; from ice armours, it doesn't trigger the freeze. It is interesting to see diverse results from two methods, as I believe they would yield the same result. Now I suspect that "melee attackers take X damage = thorns" might actually mean that "the melee classes take damage". But it doesn't seem to work every time because when Monk used SSS, he didn't take the thorns damage.

Anyways, we can actually test them using ice armour, "DR from missile/melee attacks" gears and thorn gears.
Weasel765, I duelled you two days ago. I ain't sure if you remember a witch doctor named me. We can add each other and test them (I have all classes available).
Edited by Avogato#1976 on 7/17/2013 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/26/2013 11:24 AMPosted by Avogato
But it doesn't seem to work every time because when Monk used SSS, he didn't take the thorns damage.

He wouldn't be able to take damage even if it was melee because he is invincible when he casts it.

Ok, I'll add you in game so we can test this stuff out.
Reply Quote
I have tested it with my friend using String of Ears.
Both players naked except for monk using a blue weapon and me, WD, using SoE on and off
Wave of Light
Wall of Light (1200% dmg): reduced by 20% melee damage reduction from SoE
Empowered Wave (reduce cost) : also
Blinding Light (Stun on crit): also.
Haven't tested another, but WoL alone is enough to justify me to using SoE against monk lol.
Edited by yumcatz#1449 on 7/15/2013 9:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@yumcatz

There are two attacks when WoL is casted, the first one being the bell and the second being the long light that follows. Which attack did SoE reduced damage from?

I suspected that the bell was melee and the light was ranged, are you saying they are both melee?
Reply Quote
I cant' confirmed it since the tick is too fast and clustered together
Unless you record and observe it frame by frame and see if a number popped that less that the minimal damage the monk able to produce after some tries.
I'm a bit practical though
For me, death w/o SoE and survive with SoE during the test is already enough :D
Reply Quote
I use 'reduces damage from ranged attacks' on my bracers and it seems that even hota is considered ranged?! Looks like i take less damage when using these bracers.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/chunk-2894/hero/5518069
Edited by chunk#2894 on 7/29/2013 5:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]