Diablo® III

Blizzard says 9% = Hardcore, SF = ?

(Locked)

what is this thread, i don't even
By the way, fewer than 9% of players play HC.
Aaand even fewer would check a SF box. What about the niche of the niche? If you want to check both HC and SF, you'd have like a pool of 7 people to possibly play with...
07/01/2013 11:08 AMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Is there anyone who puts down the idea of a Self Found mode but thinks Hardcore mode is needed? Any argument that a separate Hardcore mode is a good idea also applies to having a separate Self Found mode. After all you don't need a special mode to delete your character when he dies.

Yes you do. The economies are completely separate, and your HC character has direct and meaningful impact on other players. Nothing happens if you "cheat" in an unenforced SF mode.

So only play and trade with other HC players. Is that to much work? You need Blizzard to enforce the rules? That's exactly how SF players feel.
Poor idea is poor.

But I will say -- and I hope Blizzard correctly digests all of this SF talk this way -- that this is a direct (and inevitable) result of the state of vanilla D3 loot. Jay Wilson / AH-loot system, itemization, and absurd affix variance are the causes of this supposed player division. And the rift won't ever be remedied until the entire system is revamped.

The item hunt in D3 is mostly akin to repeatedly playing rigged slot machines. I get that I'm gambling already, but at least give me a chance to have joy.
Edited by supafrench#1240 on 7/1/2013 11:29 AM PDT

Yes you do. The economies are completely separate, and your HC character has direct and meaningful impact on other players. Nothing happens if you "cheat" in an unenforced SF mode.

So only play and trade with other HC players. Is that to much work? You need Blizzard to enforce the rules? That's exactly how SF players feel.

Except that the AH is allowed in HC but not in SF? Better luck next time.
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 7/1/2013 11:23 AM PDT
07/01/2013 11:07 AMPosted by SirRight
"we hate the possibility of any of you Selfies from playing the game differently than we do and cannot stand the fact that you would be happy".

Yeah, that's it, right there.

Clueless.
07/01/2013 11:20 AMPosted by FluffyDucky

You do realise that Hardcore is already in the game, right?
07/01/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Vresiberba
"we hate the possibility of any of you Selfies from playing the game differently than we do and cannot stand the fact that you would be happy".

Yeah, that's it, right there.

Clueless.

^

So only trade with other HC players, problem solved. Sort of like telling SF players to only play with other SF players.

So only trade with other HC players, problem solved. Sort of like telling SF players to only play with other SF players.

The AH is allowed in HC. Trading is allowed in HC. HC has its own economy.

You are not allowed to use the AH in SF. You are not allowed to trade in SF. SF has no economy.

Try again.
06/30/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Brythan
Not to mention that putting SF on a new server would also reduce rubberbanding for people. I already suggested that Self-found and Hardcore could be on a new server and lag would almost disappear (unless it's your internet provider causing the lag).
I'm not convinced that Diablo 3 softcore only runs on a single server.
I'm reasonably confident that Blizzard runs softcore on a pool of servers. Softcore and hardcore may or may not run on the same server pool.
Blizzard should scale their servers to prevent lag.

I suspect you are correct as well. I suspect the auction houses run on a pool of physical machines in a clustered database environment. Softcore and hardcore game servers (software with differing rule sets) I believe run across multiple physical machines. This would make it easier to scale up to meet increasing demands. Much like the auction house servers the accounting/profile/achievement data are probably housed in a clustered database environment which in simple terms means a synchronized set of databases spread across multiple physical machines that are served up to clients as a single entity. The web profiles are most likely multiple physical web server machines accessing the accounting/profile databases.

From the above description, adding additional servers (scaling technique) does not incur developer effort, but server admin effort. It is vastly simpler to have server admins to do their thing than to go through code/test/debug cycles, which could introduce bugs/exploits. The game servers are potentially calculation intensive, while the auction houses, account/profile/achievement are transaction intensive. Web profile servers are potentially web traffic intensive. I've said in other threads that there are three possible positive side effects of implementing self-found at the server level:
1 - less server lag due to a greater distribution of server load (scaling technique) for the game servers
2 - less server lag due to lower transaction volume in the auction houses (no auction activity for SF)
3 - shorter maintenance cycles for self-found servers since the auction houses are disabled and the accounting/profile/achievement data would be separate.

All players would benefit from the above.

06/30/2013 09:20 AMPosted by grovak
These threads are getting out of hand.
If self-found had its own forum, you could just not read them. If there were a self-found forum, I'd absolutely support banning anyone who posted a self-found thread in General Discussion.

While I don't agree with your reasoning for such a heavy-handed approach (banning), I think it would be appropriate that if a separate self-found sub-forum existed, threads started in other forums that really belong to the SF category get moved by forum mods to the SF forum. Hardcore has its own separate sub-forum.
07/01/2013 11:18 AMPosted by supafrench
Aaand even fewer would check a SF box. What about the niche of the niche? If you want to check both HC and SF, you'd have like a pool of 7 people to possibly play with...

Proof or it's all conjecture.
07/01/2013 11:18 AMPosted by supafrench

Here's some questions Blizzard could ask themselves regarding implementing an SF (non-AH) mode.

1) How many people currently play PoE?

2) How many of those players own D3, or may have previously considered buying it?

3) How many of those PoE players left Diablo EXPRESSLY due to the realization that the AH is the central feature of D3?

4) How many may consider a return to, or purchase of D3, and possibly the upcoming expansions if a non-AH mode were added?

You still aren't getting it. If a supposed HC player cheats, he ruins the game for everyone else in the HC community. If a SF player cheats, nothing happens. Get it now?

If a SF player cheats he ruins the game experience for other SF players he plays with. I admit if you only play by yourself and you only play SF you can play SF with the current setup, but if you want to play with others or mix SF and regular play your are screwed.

In theory you can make a SF clan and only play with clan mates but the same can be said for HC (you would just have to include only trading with clan mates.) It doesn't work for HC and it doesn't work for SF.

In theory you can mix SF and regular play by keeping track of every gold piece and everything spent on leveling your blacksmith and jeweler and where every crafting recipe came from (just like you could do for mixing HC and SC) but it is not practical.
07/01/2013 12:00 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Ok. I give up. You still don't get it.

All this purity talk is giving me nausea.
07/01/2013 11:07 AMPosted by SirRight
there is no way that we can play together

no way we can play together

no play together

Why not?

I'm assuming a large portion of your friends list is self found only.
Why in the world can't you play together?

That's ridiculous. Of course you can.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]