Diablo® III

An idea on how to remember the fallen heros o

I am rather new to HC, but I am already in love with it. It makes the game exciting again. Everything feels more real, rewarding, and has an edge of fear.

I have not lost a character yet and am still low level in normal, although I am running three heros at the same time (WD, barb, monk) as I play them with dif friends/solo respectively.

But I am jumping into HC head first, no gold, and with the full expectation of death.

Enough about me, I just had a thought and I want to share it. I think it would be cool if you could find your previous hero's in the locations they died in, like a fallen hero corpse. It would be loot able for a small portion of gold or a note. The idea is basically for nostalgia of your fallen heros in game, not to recover lost loot, that is gone forever :p)

Basically If your hero died in inferno mp2 in The Fields of Misery, you could find a loot able (small amount of gold/note) slain hero corpse with your previous hero's name in that location on inferno mp 2 on your other heros.

I don't know if it is even possible, but it seemed like a fun way to see you old hero's, and I wanted to know what the HC community thought of it.
Reply Quote
I think this is a really cool idea. Dont want to get to crazy though and start being able to salvage items. Maybe have an option when you move to hall of fallen heroes to 'mark death for all to see' and then whenever you are in a public game a small but noticeable tombstone with some information of your death is there for all to see. Maybe even with a screen shot or last 5 seconds of gameplay a player can optionally choose to watch.

That would be something to remember someone by in a public game
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/25/2013 04:29 PMPosted by J1MMYBOB
Basically If your hero died in inferno mp2 in The Fields of Misery, you could find a loot able (small amount of gold/note) slain hero corpse with your previous hero's name in that location on inferno mp 2 on your other heros.

Thanks for the feedback! I think that's a pretty good idea, personally.
Reply Quote
Reminds me of when I used to die to dysentery all the time.
Reply Quote
I like it!
Reply Quote
love it. would be an epic way to improve hardcore :)
Reply Quote
Hey Grimiku while you're here can you ask whoever needs to be asked to implement an "inspect" option for fallen heros? Cheers
Reply Quote
I think we should randomly see graves of other players in our games and when you activate it, see a ghost acting out the characters final moments of how that player died. A poignant moment as you witness someones final swan song.
Reply Quote
If I understand the concept correctly... Some of us would have corpses all over our maps. I'd be clicking on one of my 'fallen heros' every 2 yards.

How about just letting us loot those who die in the game (a la D2)?
Reply Quote
Yeah that would be nice and how amazing it would be if we could loot this dead hero and find all our precious items lost in the battle ?
Edited by EstiDeKaliss#1449 on 6/26/2013 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
there should be ala d2 "loot lock" button for your friends in party: if you died, your friends can take your loot.
Reply Quote
06/26/2013 07:53 AMPosted by EstiDeKaliss
Yeah that would be nice and how amazing it would be if we could loot this dead hero and find all our precious items lost in the battle ?

there should be ala d2 "loot lock" button for your friends in party: if you died, your friends can take your loot.

No guys, the OP said to NOT get gear or salvage lost items. That is part of HC and isn't/shouldn't change. Otherwise, you can just have 2 characters and one of them will get all lost gear back after death. It'll ruin one of the things HC is all about, a sense of LOSS. You'd still lose your character and that would be a loss, but the gear they had should be lost too. It wouldn't be for any sense of getting more stuff, it would only be for remembering the character :D
Reply Quote
06/26/2013 11:28 AMPosted by DarthBane

No guys, the OP said to NOT get gear or salvage lost items. That is part of HC and isn't/shouldn't change. Otherwise, you can just have 2 characters and one of them will get all lost gear back after death. It'll ruin one of the things HC is all about, a sense of LOSS. You'd still lose your character and that would be a loss, but the gear they had should be lost too. It wouldn't be for any sense of getting more stuff, it would only be for remembering the character :D

Did you play D2 HC? Because if you did, then you know that you still lose a lot of gear. You will eventually play solo and die, or in a group where you haven't allowed looting and die. Or you leave the game before they looted your corpse, woops. Gear still gets removed from the economy, don't worry.

The OP's suggestion just isn't feasible, so we decided to be constructive and let the CM know what has worked in the past just fine, and would make for a better group experience.
Reply Quote
Did you play D2 HC? Because if you did, then you know that you still lose a lot of gear. You will eventually play solo and die, or in a group where you haven't allowed looting and die. Or you leave the game before they looted your corpse, woops. Gear still gets removed from the economy, don't worry.

The OP's suggestion just isn't feasible, so we decided to be constructive and let the CM know what has worked in the past just fine, and would make for a better group experience.

I did play a little bit, not much though. I already knew that gear was lost, but I don't like the idea of people able to salvage it again. And how many times would you be able to do this? I kinda got the impression that you were supposed to be able to see it many times, not just once. If that was the case, you wouldn't be able to make the lost loot salvageable.
Reply Quote
I like the idea as originally posted. A note would great. Perhaps even for older dead characters, we could find their tombstone instead of their body (or change it to bones after a pre-determined amount of time) somewhere that had their name, date of death and class or something like that.
Reply Quote

I did play a little bit, not much though. I already knew that gear was lost, but I don't like the idea of people able to salvage it again. And how many times would you be able to do this? I kinda got the impression that you were supposed to be able to see it many times, not just once. If that was the case, you wouldn't be able to make the lost loot salvageable.

I would guess that those of us who have exclusively played HC since D2 would be ok with a D2 style loot lock. As a HC player, to me it makes sense... if your close friend (you allow to loot) just died in front of you, that you would be able to pick up the gear on his corpse. It's actually more towards the reality that HC strives for.

Also as I pointed out, it does not eliminate the loss of gear completely. In fact I would guess only a small % of gear in D2 was/is saved by corpse looting.

The only difference in D3 would be that you don't lose your stash, since it is shared. But smart D2 players didn't keep stuff in the stash of the characters they were playing.

Edit: back on topic...

06/26/2013 11:50 AMPosted by LordCaric
I like the idea as originally posted. A note would great. Perhaps even for older dead characters, we could find their tombstone instead of their body (or change it to bones after a pre-determined amount of time) somewhere that had their name, date of death and class or something like that.

The idea seems like too much work for just HC, and I feel like I would eventually have corpses/tombstones all over my map... just reminding me where I disconnected at.
Edited by Opiate#1943 on 6/26/2013 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would guess that those of us who have exclusively played HC since D2 would be ok with a D2 style loot lock. As a HC player, to me it makes sense... if your close friend (you allow to loot) just died in front of you, that you would be able to pick up the gear on his corps. It's actually more towards the reality that HC strives for.

Also as I pointed out, it does not eliminate the loss of gear completely. In fact I would guess only a small % of gear in D2 was/is saved by corpse looting.

The only difference in D3 would be that you don't lose your stash, since it is shared. But smart D2 players didn't keep stuff in the stash of the characters they were playing.

True, I remember having mules as well.
Reply Quote
View profile
I think a cool variation on the OP is to have a totally random heroes body appear in a game. The catch is this random body would be as rare as finding uber diablo in D2. Once you click on the fallen hero, an uber version of that hero appears and you need to do battle with him. If you win, you can loot a totally random piece of gear from that hero with the fallen heroes name in the title. If you die, game over. You could hit a jackpot or you could get garbage from a scrub that died with 200k worth of gear.

I had two d2 accounts over the years with 6 characters that were between 88 and 96 and I only every saw uber diablo spawn once in my game. It was very exciting and it took about an hour before I was finally able to kill him.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 6/26/2013 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Amazing idea ! I love the idea of a "graveyard" in areas you've died. some areas might be harder than others so perhaps each act should have 1 appropriate area for a graveyard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]