Diablo® III

My HC MP-6 Full Clear run is finally done

A continuation of:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8415171971
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8690629028

I didn't write on my MP-5 HC run, mainly because it was nothing to write about, really. Went pretty smoothly. I didn't think my stats really were up to MP-6, but recent posts by overg showing the stats he cleared MP-8 with have convinced me to step it already. Worst case scenario is if I die, I can blame him. More people like Nameless and overg blogging their exploits, so I figure I'll get back on that.

Typical rules apply: I will make an attempt to kill every single monster in every area. Go into every cave, etc. I will at least try to kill all the treasure goblins. If the crumbling vault comes up, I will try to clear it. Basically, skip no content and either prove I can handle anything MP-6 throws at me.

Starting stats: ( http://d3up.com/b/815634/fallenslayer-mp6-start )

103K DPS (+4% to elites)
1.02m EHP

1.763 APS
6162 armor
860 AR
64K Life

2.8% LS
476 LoH
722 Life regen
48.9 LpSS
1979 LoK

No HGB this time. Gave that up for my Unity. So I'm missing a form of sustain this time, but I only had +2K left there anyway.

More details on the difficulties of the current run to come later...
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 7/7/2013 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You HC players are INSANE. Best of luck to you, good monk. Keep us posted as you go.
Reply Quote
Thanks overg. Here's your first update and a bit of HC advice:

That resplendent chest in the middle of the empty grove in the Fields of Misery? Turns out it IS a trap. Go figure.

http://i.imgur.com/Huf0N5y.jpg

Trees hit hard.

That's the picture after the second time I used Serenity in that fight. Note the cooldowns. Also, I've got LpSS and I'm using the Peaceful repose rune, so that plus my life regen means I'm about at 10K more life than I was a second or two earlier when I hit Serenity and ran.

Other than that, I guess things are going OK. I fought a bunch of those illusionist bulls, so there was a lot of heavy hits coming in from everywhere all at once.

Not for the first time, I'm realizing that people underrate dodge as a form of mitigation. There are a few really heavy hits that it's nice to completely avoid. At 60% dodge, that adds up to a lot of damage mitigated for me. I know people think it's the ground effects that kill you, but for me it's often the ground effects PLUS all the other things, not simply one or the other.

Also, after dodging pretty much every freeze ball in a fight, I'm realizing that I've hit a qualitatively better level than I was several MPs ago. It feels like chain freeze is just that much less likely now. That's one of the things that took out my first HC Monk.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 6/29/2013 4:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A riddle... What's worse than finding a legendary that you know will be a brimstone before you even identify it?
http://i.imgur.com/J9Pem0h.jpg

Well, that's OK. At least this always makes me smile:
http://i.imgur.com/XUKSZZ2.jpg

I've crafted some new gloves and they seem to be working out well. I feel less dying-ish, despite the new gloves violating my sense of aesthetics and gearing philosophy in general. Less mitigation, noticeably less attack speed, and slightly less DPS. But I can't say no to an extra 125K EHP for a less than 1K DPS.
http://i.imgur.com/HV5z1PC.jpg

More stories and pictures of actual combat tomorrow. Probably some analysis of how it's going, too.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 6/29/2013 11:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am currently leveling my hc monk a little over half way there would love running with you once I get to 60 and inferno. I am doing 100% self found or crafted. Currently I am running a s&b bell combo build working great. Feel free too add me in game I also have a sc monk that I rock mp10 with
Reply Quote
@BladeMaster
You may want to go check out Nameless's thread if you haven't seen it already. He's leveling a self-found HC Monk right now and playing with other HC-self-founders when the opportunity presents itself: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9377318563

I'm not running self-found with this Monk obviously, but do feel free to add me if you ever just want to run with someone in HC.
Reply Quote
OK... I'm beginning to question whether I'm really ready for MP-6. I've switched over to my new EHP gloves, and it feels better-ish, but I'm definitely hurting a bit more for spirit. Here's the closest call I've had yet:

http://i.imgur.com/JBiYiB3.jpg

You can see, I'm tapped out of spirit there. Not even enough to use Serenity. Kind of a bad place to be. I feel like I can probably make it through the first 2 Acts, but I just straight up might not have enough defenses to handle those Fallen Maniacs and Succubi in Act-3, or things like Mallet Lords in Act-4. The wrong affix combo on Mallet Lords or a bad double pack and well...

Another thing that's really dangerous are all those tunnels in the caves in non-main-quest maps. It seems like every elite pack I meet in the tunnels is Arcane/Waller that also includes at least one of Vortex or Horde. I know that I've had at least 4 or these fights in maps that consist of tiny corridors. Some really fun moments from that, including one where I was forced to run from an Arcane/Waller/Frozen/Horde deeper into the cave, only to meet a second elite pack. No time to take a screen capture for that one unfortunately. You'll have to use your imagination.

This is definitely the tightest run that I've done. Butcher's up pretty soon, but I feel I've got enough DPS to avoid enrage. I might just switch over to Overawe for the boss fights going forward, though. Backlash isn't really too useful there.

More to come...
Reply Quote
Very impressive demi! You and jco are my heroes. Until you get dced and you turn evil, eventually betraying us nephalem. But for now good for you guys!
Reply Quote
Rock on, Demi!
Reply Quote
Reading this makes me feel like playing my HC self-found monk again. I shelved him two weeks ago when I lost my DH for the second time, due to some bad lag and a bit of overcockiness on top of it >< I haven't had much bad lag for the last 3-4 days(and I know it wasn't just me, several people on my FL have complained about it for the last week or two as well), so maybe it's time to pick back up and see if I can make it to 60 ^^
Reply Quote
Congrats Demi., good read on your adventures.

Stay safe.
Reply Quote
Reading this makes me feel like playing my HC self-found monk again. I shelved him two weeks ago when I lost my DH for the second time, due to some bad lag and a bit of overcockiness on top of it >< I haven't had much bad lag for the last 3-4 days(and I know it wasn't just me, several people on my FL have complained about it for the last week or two as well), so maybe it's time to pick back up and see if I can make it to 60 ^^

Do it! It sounds like this is "the thing" to do these days. I'm playing with a bunch of folks (we are all running HCSF) and we just cleared normal in MP0 and about to embark on nightmare. If/when we catch up to you, we can try to party together as we move on up together. IMO, playing in groups is almost a requirement when you are doing HCSF. At least we can watch each other's backs in case lag is an issue.

Lemme know if you wanna join forces. I think we are about 10-12 levels behind you right now. :)
Reply Quote
First off, thanks for all the well-wishes and support everyone!

So things were going really smooth last night after that last red screen. I was pretty confident about the Butcher and fairly sure that I could just face tank him even standing in the fire. So decided that I really didn't want to lose my 5-stacks and would keep my nearly useless Backlash Mantra for the fight.

I was right and was able to just beat on him pretty easily. The technique I use to take him down ASAP if pretty straight forward. Always stand between him and the nearest wall, ideally wedged right up against it. Tank him. When he does the jumpy thing, DS to the other side. Then DS right back. When he charges, DS through him or get out of the way. Then DS right back so he's smooshing you against the wall again. Tank and repeat.

On to Act 2 where Backlash+LS really shines. I really find it's near optimal for a SW:Cyclone build in Act 2. Between the large packs of Fallen and the fast attacks of Lacuni and snakes, things heal you and kill themselves so quickly. Those bugs are annoying, but I think Act 2 tends to be easiest Act for me. (Note to self: try not to jinx yourself on the forums, Demiwraith)

Demonstrating the power of Backlash+LS, here I am just standing in the middle of a Horde elite pack with no real dangerous ground effects. I killed a bunch of them without attacking. Just stood there and never really lost any life.

http://i.imgur.com/FrxKF4k.jpg

I still maintain that Backlash+LS provides about the closest thing to DC protection there is to a solo Monk in mid to upper MPs. And it just scales so amazingly when the enemies start getting thick around you. (Search the Monk forums for the word "superscaling" if you want to see me going on about how much I love this combo for HC)

Blazing and Poisonous guardians to come... Magda, ZK, and the big B await me...
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 7/1/2013 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Grats on the Butcher kill. Stay frosty!
Reply Quote
Love it!

Help me out when I roll my HC Monk when I finish my 2nd monk!

Grats on the progress man. Very nice.
Reply Quote
I'm totally taking notes, dude... I hope I don't lose 'em by the time I get to these bosses / mini-bosses. The ones I am probably most worried about are the Butcher, Ghom and Belial. I do need some kind of a strategy for each of them. I've only completed normal in HC right now, and apparently, things don't get really interesting until Hell. Still, I am nervous about this... it's so stressful when death actually means something!
Reply Quote
I can't stress enough to take your time. If you rush, you'll probably run into serious, if not a fatal, situation. Both Demi and I played slowly when we first started HC, it helps a lot as you'll learn all the various ways you can die. Too many SC players don't take the time to relearn the acts and difficulty levels.
Reply Quote
So, I may have mentioned that there's one map I'm allowed to skip killing all the monsters...
http://i.imgur.com/eLmLaP4.jpg

And also, this happened. So... Yay!
http://i.imgur.com/PMv2Zsa.jpg

Also I finally sold this shield on the AH:
217 Str
69 Int
65 AR
14% Life
8% CC

The problem is that with Life% instead of Vit, fewer people search for them. Then there's the whole fact that Barbs looking for shields typically just look for Stormshields, so that cuts into what I can sell it for, too. Only got about 10m after AH taxes, but I was tired of listing it for what I think it's "worth". I really can't complain.

I've mentioned in another thread that 100% of my money goes into crafting, first focusing on gloves, until I've used up my remaining DEs. I'm at the point where I'm buying Tomes now, so costs have gone up. After another 100 gloves crafted (220 gloves total), I'm still wearing the ones from post #4 above. I did get these, though, which will go on my "No more AH" Wizard just as soon as get one to 60:
http://i.imgur.com/WnKM9ZF.jpg

Had those been AR, fire resist, or even armor instead of Cold Resist, I'd probably be wearing them. 450 DEs left.

Going deeper into the desert... Magda will pay for what she did to Deckard Cain. But first, there's something suspicious about this outpost...
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 7/1/2013 7:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The ones I am probably most worried about are the Butcher, Ghom and Belial.

I'm curious and surprised by the Ghom mention. I saw that you had to use serenity and a health potion with him. I've generally found him to be one of the easier bosses in the game since he was nerfed a ways back. What about him is causing you to sweat? You're not still in the AH-enabled habit of face tanking him, are you? Maybe it's just my lack of HC perspective, as for me red screens (and death) are rather regular occurrences, so if I'm not actually dying to something I tend to dismiss it.

Going deeper into the desert... Magda will pay for what she did to Deckard Cain. But first, there's something suspicious about this outpost...

Really fun to read your reports Demi. Please keep them coming.
Reply Quote
I'm curious and surprised by the Ghom mention. I saw that you had to use serenity and a health potion with him. I've generally found him to be one of the easier bosses in the game since he was nerfed a ways back. What about him is causing you to sweat? You're not still in the AH-enabled habit of face tanking him, are you? Maybe it's just my lack of HC perspective, as for me red screens (and death) are rather regular occurrences, so if I'm not actually dying to something I tend to dismiss it.

I think I remember having nightmares about going through Ghom way back when (I'm one of those day 1 players). Ghom and Belial gave me fits in nightmare, iirc when I was soloing them.

But yes, it's the HC thing. If I was playing SC, I wouldn't have popped serenity or health potion because my health only went down to about the halfway mark, possibly down to 1/3 life remaining). But any time I see my life go down to about halfway, I get nervous and begin to find ways to withdraw from battle and get some healing. I never ever want to see red screens while playing HC (unless I had the NDE passive going).

I'm slowly getting used to playing extremely tanky, even to the point of sacrificing DPS for HP if it means more survival. It's a different perspective from SC, that's for sure. But it definitely makes the game more exciting and keeps you on your toes.

Really fun to read your reports Demi. Please keep them coming.

Totally. I love reading the updates too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]