Diablo® III

Skill allocation with CoB...

Somewhat experienced CoB user with a simple question. I've been experimenting with many skills to substitute in for my right click...locust swarm, well of souls, z dogs life link, mass confusion paranoia. No one skill really stands out for me though. And just wondering what skill set up you CoB users run with?

Current skills set in stone for me...
1. CoB
2. Hex jinx
3. BBV slam dance
4. Spirit walk
5. Soul harvest

It's the last skill that I've been playing with to find the best combo. Currently set up with locust swarm pestilence to round up mobs and aggro them.
Reply Quote
Try hex/jinx on left click and allocate confusion/paranoia for 20% more dps in there.
Reply Quote
Horrify:FA
Reply Quote
It's situational.
Reply Quote
Horrify seems counter-productive because it sends mobs running away from my bat blender.
Reply Quote
06/26/2013 04:25 PMPosted by d373rmined
Horrify seems counter-productive because it sends mobs running away from my bat blender.

that's why you use horrify for it's rune effect, not it's fear effect.
however, if you're in a dire situation where you are about to die, you have the fear effect on standby just in case. it's a win win.
Edited by Viss#1675 on 6/26/2013 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
that's why you use horrify for it's rune effect, not it's fear effect.
however, if you're in a dire situation where you are about to die, you have the fear effect on standby just in case. it's a win win.

only way to do this without fearing mobs as well is to pre-cast while running in, and with an 8 second duration it isnt great unless your ehp is terrible. I've tried to make horrify work since Im attracted to the armor buff but the fear is just far too counter-productive for my taste.

paranoia is gonig to be your best spellto use for a max dps setup (slam dance stacked with paranoia, on top of the int gains from soul harvest makes for some insane burst damage).

I too have been looking for spells that fit right for bats build and like most people have found that a couple of our spell slots are situational / swappable.

-locusts are good for farming, to round up the mobs
-paranoia is great for burst dps, also useful for survival (too many mobs hitting you at once and spirit walk on cooldown, casting paranoia can often save the day)
-bears are good vs RD and while kiting
-sacrifice with pride or the last rune (forget name, but it adds 5% dmg per dog) in combo with circle of life passive is fun, but unfortunately sacrifice interrupts channeling.
-also i find GF passive doesnt really do much unless ive got a zero dogs in my group. Never seems to be enough globes to keep 5 stacks up. Spirit Vessel is great, increases soul harvest spam (so a dps boost slightly) and SW spam (big mana regen boost as well as survival).

ive been playing around with other spells, many of which work well with CoB build (so try some others out yourself maybe) but have yet to find a spell that is just so good that it earns a permanent slot on my bar haha.
Reply Quote
06/26/2013 04:25 PMPosted by d373rmined
Horrify seems counter-productive

06/26/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Phal
only way to do this without fearing mobs as well is to pre-cast while running in

06/26/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Phal
ive been playing around with other spells, many of which work well with CoB build (so try some others out yourself maybe) but have yet to find a spell that is just so good that it earns a permanent slot on my bar haha.

There are 3 ways to use Horrify:FA. I've written about it all over these forums. You can learn from experience, or simply watch how other WDs use it. With FA, I can tank SK swipes, Belial poison explosions, Act 1 tree poison. There are ways to play in-game such that Fear is not an issue, but can be used tactically to our advantage.

I've seen Barbs with EF chase a mob from one corner of the fields to another corner of the map. That's an example of a typical noob who does not know how to apply Fear properly. My Monk also uses EF, but Fear has never been an issue. There are many ways to deal with it, or to apply it.

Hex has the same damage buff as MC for 1 target, which is usually how we (groups) focus fire when fighting elites. It can be spammed (cycles much faster than MC or BBV). If you do not need a ranged backup skill, you can also use FA, MC, and Hex. No conflicts there.
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xpfnc_UChk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5CGedMTxOpsNHAic3MPa8A

this is a pretty interesting variant of CoB. Probably the most different out of the usual.
Reply Quote
I put jinx on my right click and love it. It has taken a while to get used to, but it feels good now.

As far as the 6th skill, I have the same story as a lot of others. I started with Horrify, immediately hated it as all the monsters ran away. Now that I have figured out how to use it, I love it. It can be the safety valve when spirit walk isn't ready.
Reply Quote
IMO, depends on the act you are running and it depends on whether you are 1h/mojo setup or skorn

for 1h/mojo, dogs with life link is pretty much universal for fight against RD elites (although act1 RD elites hurt a lot less than act2 or 3)

For act 1, you can either use mass confusion with dmg bonus or locust swarm

for act 2/3, zombie bear will be better against some elites, and I would take out BBV/slam dance and replace
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 02:27 AMPosted by PaulNg
There are 3 ways to use Horrify:FA. I've written about it all over these forums. You can learn from experience, or simply watch how other WDs use it.

would you mind linking to one of your explanations or a video or something of the sort?

06/27/2013 02:27 AMPosted by PaulNg
I've seen Barbs with EF chase a mob from one corner of the fields to another corner of the map. That's an example of a typical noob who does not know how to apply Fear properly.

so by that you mean that is an example of all barbs, right? :P

I have yet to encounter a barb that uses EF that doesnt make me immediately want to claw my eyes out from frustration..if theres a correct way for barbs to use ef without chasing everything across the map I have yet to see any of them do it lol.
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 09:26 AMPosted by Phal
would you mind linking to one of your explanations or a video or something of the sort?

My post from another thread a few weeks ago (about Horrify)

Just wanted to expand on the topic.

There's a defensive way of casting it, 2 offensive ways of casting it, and a kiting way of casting it.
1) Defensive is when you're trapped and need to escape or you'd die, cast it to give breathing room and get out of the ground effects.
2) Offensive is where we're the opposite of bears, we want to horrify them into a wall or corner, disable the disabler (those with knockback, and other affix). The other method is the one you described. [The OP described about casting Horrify just before walking into a group of mobs].
3) Backing out of stacks of ground effects and repositioning, casting horrify first without scaring them off, and then they walk in to get killed. [add-on text: begin channel while waiting for them to walk in].

With all these 3 methods, we can cycle in SW and/or Hex for those troublesome affixes, and then horrify will soon be ready to use again. GI helps in the spamming or even overlapping of such wonderful skills.

[Add-on text: usually those that kite are not immune to Hex, so we have several available tools to deal with different mobs and situations. Not good to panic and spam all the tools, just stay calm and use the appropriate skill for the situation, then you'll find that you always have some useful skill on standby and ready to be cast.]
Reply Quote
I gotta agree with Paul. I was skeptical at first on Horrify but now I wouldn't trade it out at all. Once you get the hang of precasting it, then casting it as you move from ground effects it becomes a great ability. Also makes RD packs a joke.

If you play smart you will never fear away an enemy unless you want to.
Reply Quote
thanks for sharing your previous write-up so i didnt have to search through pages of threads haha.

unfortunately (for me) the three methods you describe are what I expected / am already aware of (was hoping I was missing something that made the fear not apply to them at all).

Fearing them into a wall is situational at best because it requires,well, a wall. Fearing before running in is pretty useless imo since you lose 1-2 seconds while running and in my experience almost never need a boost to ehp on initial impact.

and then fearing them to have breathing room, of course very useful if thats what you need, but doesnt synergize with CoB's .00001 inch radius lol.

Looks like I'll be needing to get the extra armor i want the hard / expensive way haha (gear).
Reply Quote
I would give Horrify another try, really.

It's up time is nearly constant with GI and the fear doesn't last that long - I've found it's pretty similar to just having the outside mob moving in if you're using Pestilence to gather them up.

Combined with Hex, you have an ability to corner and lock down the elite. TThere are a lot of in-game obstacles other than walls that they will run into and just stand there which, having a COB-centric build, is advantageous.

In the end, it's how you want to play and the WD is great for that.

Cheers
Reply Quote
ya I have no doubt that its a very useful and viable spell, I was mostly thinking out loud when explaining why it's not ideal (for me).

I agree its a matter of playstyle and preference. I keep trying horrify hoping I'll like it more but it just ends up irritating me honestly. Sometimes the map works out and I can corner them or get them against a wall, but this is never a garentee for every pack, and the only thing I hate more than trying to hit elites with the terrible range of CoB while they run away is an ef-using barb twirling across the map haha.

if only sacrifice and / or grasp didn't interrupt bats channeling...now that would make for a damn-near perfect build.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]