Diablo® III

Characters are the content of RPGs, not levels.

That is the flaw of this game. They tried to design a game where its possible to play a million different ways, yet they designed it so that it is in your best interest to pick ONE of those ways and stick with it for 1000 hours.

Making new characters was cast off as "boring", in favor of a system where you should never switch characters. Where you are supposed to play through the "content" for 1000 hours repeatedly.

I dont think the developers realize that the real content of RPGs is creating characters that play the game completely differently. Otherwise it just gets old. You replay the game because you can experience it in a different way than you did before.

If you make more than 5 characters in Diablo 3, you are doing it wrong. If you don't spend the high majority of your time on your main character in Diablo 3, you are doing it wrong. And that is the problem, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
You should ask this.

What's more fun? Playing Final Fantasy 7 at level 1, reading the story again, leveling up completely differently (lowest level, highest level, no materia ect) or would it be more fun to have a completely maxed out game, at the end, with the only thing to do is fight the last boss?

Apparently playing the end of the game constantly is more fun than starting over. Of course, I could start over, but starting over in this game is like starting over in an RPG while I am still competing against end game mobs.

A better example would be to say, I'm starting at the start line while everyone else starts at the finish line. What's the point if I am the only one starting over?
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 02:29 PMPosted by ISmkPotatoes
A better example would be to say, I'm starting at the start line while everyone else starts at the finish line

What if you could start at the finish line, but still progress?

What if for each paragon level you would get a point to spend in a rune of choice in your skill of choice, and every point spent improved that rune permanently?

What if a "respec" would cost you to perform a couple of random quests and collect a few million gold to pay for it?

sarcasm on: .... Noooo, this game must be dumbed down... RPG must be annihilated!!! /sarcasm
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We think that customizing your character is important too, and it's something we'd like to make happen. There are a lot of ways this can be handled, and Travis Day mentions Paragon levels as a possibility. I'll provide a quote from the interview, or you can read the whole thing right here if you want. We're always interested in feedback, so please let us know what you think about the subject.

You had talked about character customization, and maybe tying that into Paragon somehow?

Travis: I would like to, yes. So for character customization - this is an RPG. Part of an RPG is the fantasy of being this character, or progressing or developing this character is that your Barbarian is different than my Barbarian and is different from that guy's Demon Hunter. The fantasy is that you are in some way unique and distinct from everyone else, and a lot of that has to do with character customization. That's why a lot of people get really excited when they talk about items, or Paragon customization, or they want to assign attributes. People just want more ways to distinguish themselves from each other, right? We don't all want to be Kretos. I want to be Conan, but I want my Conan to be called BobTheSlayer, and I want him to be different from your guy. I personally want to hook progression or customization into the Paragon system, but there's a lot of work still to be done there, and a lot of the ideas are still not finalized. I want that, and I think players should one day expect to see that.
Reply Quote
I'm so glad that the only Blue responses we get these days are simply links back to a conversation that was held over a month ago.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 02:43 PMPosted by Piffle
I'm so glad that the only Blue responses we get these days are simply links back to a conversation that was held over a month ago.

Not everyone has seen them.

I wish I knew what was their plan concerning Self Found and Ladder reset... so I know when it's a good time to cash out if ever they decide to proceed with that *sigh*
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Seeders
Making new characters was cast off as "boring",

Leveling is boring. Having to remake a character to change one tiny part of it is annoying. The system they have now is fine; the problem is that itemization sucks, the item hunt isn't rewarding, build variety sucks, and it takes too long to find things to kill in this game.

The skill trees were dumb and being locked into a build was dumb.
Reply Quote
What they need to do is get rid of character classes and gear. Gear is dumb and being locked into a class is dumb.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 02:43 PMPosted by Piffle

thats still a lot better then no answers at all.
Reply Quote
We think that customizing your character is important too, and it's something we'd like to make happen. There are a lot of ways this can be handled, and Travis Day mentions Paragon levels as a possibility. I'll provide a quote from the interview, or you can read the whole thing right [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day"]here[/url] if you want. We're always interested in feedback, so please let us know what you think about the subject.

You had talked about character customization, and maybe tying that into Paragon somehow?

Travis: I would like to, yes. So for character customization - this is an RPG. Part of an RPG is the fantasy of being this character, or progressing or developing this character is that your Barbarian is different than my Barbarian and is different from that guy's Demon Hunter. The fantasy is that you are in some way unique and distinct from everyone else, and a lot of that has to do with character customization. That's why a lot of people get really excited when they talk about items, or Paragon customization, or they want to assign attributes. People just want more ways to distinguish themselves from each other, right? We don't all want to be Kretos. I want to be Conan, but I want my Conan to be called BobTheSlayer, and I want him to be different from your guy. I personally want to hook progression or customization into the Paragon system, but there's a lot of work still to be done there, and a lot of the ideas are still not finalized. I want that, and I think players should one day expect to see that.

I really hope Travis lives up to his word here because it does sound like he gets one of the issues right now and that is that basically every monk is the same as every monk or every wizard is the same as every other wizard because there is no permanence. He's right paragon leveling is the best way to implement a system where we can allocate attribute points to something whether its skills, str/dex/int/vit or something new because once a player hits 60 they've been able to play around with all of their skills and figure out what they like so it seems fair in that case that once you begin paragon leveling that people can then decide what style they want their character to play.
Reply Quote
It's just all talk.

The devs want constructive feedback yet they rarely provide any constructive feedback back to us.

anyway, character progression must be fun in order for a game to have staying power, and aiming for an endless and fun character progression would make this game shines.

Start making endless dungeons now and allow paragon levels to have no cap so that nerds and hardcore players can do 24/7 endless demon killings.

If you are worrying about bots, just make the above happen and then put every single resource you have left on regulations.

Also, uncap everything that is capped. Restriction is bad. Enforcement is the key.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 02:59 PMPosted by NOLLegendz
every monk is the same as every monk or every wizard is the same as every other wizard because there is no permanence.

uhh, no. Every monk is the same as every other monk because build variety and itemization both suck.

lol
Reply Quote
Says they think customizing characters is important.
Releases a game with the least customization in a RPG for years.
D3 has more customization than your average RPG, and I feel that's the reason people complain about it.

You have five skill points and 3 active skill points. You can just re-roll easily. So your problem seems to be that it is too easy to customize, rather than customization not being present.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 03:07 PMPosted by vexorian
D3 has more customization than your average RPG, and I feel that's the reason people complain about it.

not really, I can't go deeper into each skill/rune.
other games, you can make the skills stronger by putting points in them and if you don't feel like it, you can simply take the points out by doing some quest for a respec.

The customization in this game is so little. You can only have 4 active skills and their runes at once, and 3 passive skills that don't even have runes. Nonetheless, you can't even upgrade your skills. It's so fixed and dull. While you can also pick the skills you like, you don't feel like you have built your character because the skills are all there and they never grow strong. So, with that thinking, the character basically only relies on stat points to grow strong each level... and you can't even arrange the stats... all naked characters of the corresponding Class would be the same. It doesn't feel like an RPG at all... I want to have fat barbarian and skinny barbarian... but there is only one single type of barbarian and it's already fixed.
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Grimiku
We think that customizing your character is important too, and it's something we'd like to make happen.

Comments like "customizing characters...we want to make this happen" a year after release in an ARPG.. makes me lose all faith in the team that produced this game.

If I ever met anyone that worked on this D3 project... they should expect an open palm with baby powder coming their way.
Edited by hasuville#1503 on 6/25/2013 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/25/2013 03:47 PMPosted by hasuville
We think that customizing your character is important too, and it's something we'd like to make happen.

Comments like "customizing characters...we want to make this happen" a year after release in an ARPG.. makes me lose all faith in the team that produced this game.

If I ever met anyone that worked on this D3 project... they should expect an open palm with baby powder coming their way.

Haha so true in so many ways :D

Can't get more irony. Never. Ever. Again.
Reply Quote
I loaded up D2 the other day and started a new character. D2 has this weird system where your character gets noticeably stronger every time you level up. Frankly, I don't like it. I can't believe D2 put something so absurd in their game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]