Diablo® III

Self Found: MP9 Butcher Dead, Act I cleared

Woooo! I was not expecting that, especially given that I only pulled a minor cheat* with my spec. Once again I post some stats just to show what can be done with a 100% self found monk.

Paragon Level 84
Hours Played: 1040
Paper DPS (w/ enchantress): 116,004
Life: 42.4K
Armor: 5902
AR: 587 (w/ OWE)
LoH: 1671
LS: 0

*cheat = using a non-farming spec to defeat a particular encounter. Here is the spec I used:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aedgSk!gUX!abbYca

The only skill which isn't a part of my normal bell build is combination strike, which is usually occupied by Chant of Resonance.

Really, really surprised I could take down Butcher. I fully expected to need at least one or two decent upgrades beyond what I cleared MP8 with in order to do it. Something tells me Belial won't go down quite so quickly (I got Butcher in probably less than 7 or 8 total attempts), and he'll once again be my last clear on this MP level. We'll see though. Some fights which seem like cakewalks at lower MP's get extremely tough when it takes so long to kill things.
Edited by overg#1771 on 6/27/2013 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 04:06 PMPosted by overg
minor cheat*

what you cheated?
lol nah it's all good man and congrats!! =D
Reply Quote
Hey, that's a nice self-found monk man.

Nice one.
Reply Quote
what you cheated?
lol nah it's all good man and congrats!! =D

To play self found is to embrace inefficiency, so I always feel like a cheat when I either gear for a specific encounter (which I tried last night by dropping my resists and sustain quite a bit in order to gain dps . . . didn't work) or spec for a specific encounter (which is what I successfully tried this evening). But I could't resist trying since I was /this close to downing him in my normal gear and spec. Usually I vastly prefer to have a some spirit regen to 8% more dps, but for the Butcher fight it's not really necessary.

Hey, that's a nice self-found monk man.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
View profile
holy crap

NICE, grats!
Reply Quote
Congrats!

FWIW, I think you're probably going to have to "cheat" for at least Belial goibg forward. Despite being one of the better designed encounters in the game, he does seem to be a bit of a DPS check, and so many farming skills ate just useless against him. You almost have to go full offense with your build if you've got minimal DPS. (minimal for that MP, I mean)

When you posted that you beat MP-8, I saw the stats that you did it with and I was pretty impressed. Made me decide that I've been taking it too easy. I've been inspired to start my MP-6 full clear of the game. So thanks and congrats.
Reply Quote
View profile
Pretty damn awesome. That's the highest DPS I've seen on a self found monk! Grats!

Welcome to the embrace inefficiency club....not only am I a member but I'm the president :)

Looking forward to the Beliel update.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Pretty damn awesome. That's the highest DPS I've seen on a self found monk! Grats!

Wait a second. You mean Daywalk3r is not legit?!?!
Reply Quote
You ain't self-found, son. You haven't even found yourself!!
Just kidding, congrats, hahaha.
Reply Quote
Damn, you're literally taking self-geared to the next level! Congratz, overg! That's beyond amazing! (%
Reply Quote

FWIW, I think you're probably going to have to "cheat" for at least Belial goibg forward. Despite being one of the better designed encounters in the game, he does seem to be a bit of a DPS check, and so many farming skills ate just useless against him. You almost have to go full offense with your build if you've got minimal DPS. (minimal for that MP, I mean)

Mayhaps. Thing is, I highly doubt I have the gear to take down Belial right now, regardless of spec. Meaning he won't go down until I find some decent upgrades, and in the past when that's happened the upgrades alone (along with the MP levels gained finding them) were enough to get me over the hump. So we'll see. I suspect what will happen is that I'll skip over Belial (I'll try him, but won't bang my head or limit myself to Act I and II), finish up the rest of MP9, and then key farm. I'll probably take a swing at the MP7 ubers in there (even the easy non-SB/ZK duos might be extremely tough at my dps level with no LS). At some point I'll get a lucky drop or crafting result, and eventually Belial will fall and I'll take a whack at MP10.
Reply Quote
Act II is turning out to be a pretty solid challenge. I've now cleared my way to ZK's lair. It's not terribly uncommon for a white mob pack to kill me. But if I get in a rhythm I can hold my own quite well. Tonight I had 5 stacks when I came across VoTA on my way up to ZK's relm. I usually don't farm stuff when I'm working on progression, but since I had 5 stacks and it was right there, I thought "what the heck?" and headed in.

And cleared the whole thing with zero deaths.

I certainly didn't break any land speed records in doing so, but it felt pretty damn good to knock down the 7 or so elite packs in there without a single setback.

Of course once I finished I stepped outside and promptly walked into a yellow pack (lacunni, frozen, waller with extra health minions) who proceeded to wipe me three times with the help of a huge pack of machine gun bees. Ah well, such is the life of self found progression.

Oh yeah, and when I encourage people contemplating self found to try out some non-cookie cutter specs, I'm not just blowing smoke. Here's the spec (my favorite) which I did the 0 death VoTA run with . . .

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UVdgTk!VUX!babYca

You'll notice no TC, no sweeping wind, no Nirvana, and no spirit regen (spec or gear). It would probably be horrible for a well geared monk, but it's got some nice surviveability (Beacon of Ytar plus serenity and SSS gives quite a bit of immunity, and DS is always an awesome defensive skill), and exploding palm is a huge dps equalizer when you're undergeared.
Edited by overg#1771 on 6/29/2013 10:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's the spec (my favorite) which I did the 0 death VoTA run with . . .

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UVdgTk!VUX!babYca

You'll notice no TC, no sweeping wind, no Nirvana, and no spirit regen (spec or gear)

Your use of such a build shows you are a heretic. Your success with it demonstrates that you must in fact be a witch as well.

Burn him! Burn him!
Reply Quote
self found = yawn fest.
Reply Quote
u r a BEAST! I may need to get back on the horse again.
Reply Quote
I have a self-found* wizard and barb, the wizard could probably do a full clear of mp6 or 7 slowly, but nowhere near that level.

Congratulations, I look forward to seeing you finish mp10.

*Gear I found using my other characters still count as self-found
Reply Quote
06/30/2013 06:33 AMPosted by Vrkhyz
u r a BEAST! I may need to get back on the horse again.

A beast who Zultan Kulle just smacked around like a normal Act I zombie. I can't come close to sustaining through one of his guardians and tornado/fireball/ceiling collapse, so I spend a ton of time running around at the start of the fight. Time I can't really afford given his one shot enrage mechanic (and let me once again say I am not a fan of any enrage mechanics. Skill checks fine, gear checks bluh). Not that I had to worry about the enrage, as he was having fun hiding in tornadoes, which were pretty much instant death if I so much as looked their direction while he loaded up a fireball.

Still, I should be able to get him down with the gear I have.

Belial, on the other hand, is going to bazooka punch me into oblivion. I'll be pretty excited if I can get him down to 25%, but even that might be optimist.

Down with enrage mechanics!

Congratulations, I look forward to seeing you finish mp10.

*Gear I found using my other characters still count as self-found

Thank you, although after my beatings this morning I'm thinking I'll probably have to finish MP10 from my house on the moon (cause, ya know, it's going to take an eternity to gear up enough to clear MP10 anything, let alone MP10 Belial).

And I totally think sharing gear between your own characters still counts as self found. If anything, it makes it harder to progress, as you're splitting your time (and paragon, and NV stacks) between two characters. I only play my monk, but if I had a second character I'd totally share/swap gear between them.

Enrage sucks! So does no natural spirit regen! So does respawing with a half globe of spirit! [these are by far my three least favorite mechanics in the game. Enrage is fun when you're just geared enough to barely beat it, but otherwise it's too all or nothing. And I've never even got a sniff of fun from the two spirit mechanics]]
Reply Quote
Your use of such a build shows you are a heretic. Your success with it demonstrates that you must in fact be a witch as well.

Burn him! Burn him!

It's a really fun spec to play. I like WotHF much better than FoT (and the TC sound makes my ears bleed), and between that, DS, and SSS, I feel like a mobile, sexy, beast. I suspect it will loose a lot of its luster if and when I ever get a decent life steal weapon (it's damage is much spikier than anything using sweeping wind), but I've been using it ever since I first killed Inferno Belial (which pre MP levels). It might not be super efficient (although I think it keeps up pretty well with my TC/Bell/SW build, especially given it's got a lot more surviveabiliy built in), but it's really interactive and fun to play. Tag something with palm. pound it down it with WotHF (Fists of Fury works really well with Life on Hit), and then use SSS to trigger EP and/or as a mini serenity. Dashing strike constantly to stay on the rim of packs rather than right in the middle.

Zoom, zoom, zoom!

P.S. Please don't burn me.
Reply Quote
Still, I should be able to get him down with the gear I have

Got him. This spec works quite well for this particular fight . . .

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aSdgTk!VUX!acbYba
Reply Quote
Predicatably, Belial used me as a toothpick. I managed to get him down to 50% on a couple of attempts. Those weren't particularly high dps uptime attempts, and I'm sure I could do better, but I'm also sure I wasn't going to come close to beating his enrage.

So I moved on to Act III. So far I've progressed down to the end of Keeps 1 with only 1 death (and that was only due to mistiming serenity when using EP on reflect damage mobs . . . oops). My runs included two double-elite pack pulls, so I'm feeling pretty good about things so far. I don't expect Keeps 2 and 3, or Ghom, to present many problems, but we'll see what happens when I get to Fields of Slaughter. SB could also pose a challenge . . . as his reflect damage combined with his attacks was starting to put some strain on my sustain in MP8. I'll think I'll be able to manage him in MP9, but it might require some gear juggling to sacrifice some damage for more LoH.

After that, I expect the decent into Hell and Act IV to really test my character. I've never utilized the "corpse pull" method to progress, and I don't plan to now. If I start getting into a situation where I'm dying as much or more than elite packs, I'll probably drop down to MP7 or MP8 to farm for a while. But we'll see. So far MP9 has gone down more quickly than I expected, maybe the pleasant surprises will continue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]