Diablo® III

Is PUR necessary for cob?

Probably had this debate before but I can't seem to find the thread. Is this necessary for a cob build at high mp levels?

I have a toad oh I keep on hand but I'm wondering..Given the limited aoe for cob I wonder how much PUR is needed?
Reply Quote
nope, but more is better
Reply Quote
not really required, but I prefer at least one piece.
Reply Quote
Really, you'll want at least 1 piece of PUR gear on any class, solely for convenience. But yeah, having PUR for CoB builds is really nice, just to make sure that everything that dies around you will trigger your GI, and to make getting health globes for GF easier.
Reply Quote
Ok, but how many yards will be enough? :)
Reply Quote
Yes, you need at least 7 pick up radius min or the build isn't even close to able to reach it's full potential. you spend too much unnecessary time running around and lose seconds on your buffs.
Reply Quote
If you're using GI, GF, or CoL, yes, it is necessary. With your build, you could probably get by with as little as one item with +7. I have +13 and I feel like it's just right for me.
Reply Quote
No not required. It's nice for sure, but not mandatory.
Reply Quote
I would recommend to get 1 source of PUR, since soul harvest have a range of 16, and one source of 7 PUR will push your GI range to 15, then it is pretty much enough.
Reply Quote
There are a lot of different answers in this thread. Not all of them are wrong, but they don't fully answer the question.

The amount of PUR you need depends on your build and whether you play solo or multiplayer. In general, you don't want more than you need, because the slot could be used for more dps/ehp. With a solo bats build 6 yards is enough (best on boots, pants, or crafted gear). GI has an inherent 8 yard radius so this will give you 14 yards. However, basically any other build requires more, including bears, spirit barrage, 0 dogs, AC, etc. I would suggest 20 PUR for these builds. I use 6 yards when using bats and it's plenty.

In multiplayer it is usually best to have more than 6 yards. Monsters will be dying all over the screen, so +14 yards is advisable.

However, if you're using the build currently showing in your profile then PUR is not particularly relevant. PUR is used by WDs to proc GI and reduce cooldowns. If you aren't using GI, PUR won't help you all that much. You should aim to include GI in your build. If you plan on using a 1h, I think Thing of the Deep is best option for your gear level. If you plan on using a Skorn (advisable if you want to do mp10) you'll have more difficulty getting PUR.

Looking at your current skill set it seems you are having troubles with mana. You're using both BR and SA with a bats build, while having a low attack speed. This should give you far more mana than you need...do you really need both mana passives? Are you recasting CoB often in battles, or channeling for long periods? I think if you equipped a Thing of the Deep you could drop BR for GI. You will lose a small amount of dps, but you'll gain mana, allowing you to use a much more effective skill setup (ie. GI). This will also allow you to channel bats longer and regain mana from all the monsters that run in. You'll also be able to cast spirit walk a lot more, which adds more mana regen. And the best part is that GI and GF synergise very well when played correctly. Most WDs gear themselves to allow for this combo, rather than adapting skill sets to their current gear. Try it out and see how it goes :)
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Hemogoblin
If you're using GI, GF, or CoL, yes, it is necessary

This.

You want a bit more due to CoL. Need to keep those dogs flowing.
Reply Quote
if going CoL 20+ is really required, 40+ and your golden. Combined with GF , GI and you can 0cooldown just about BBV as well due to density changes. (well 15 seconds cooldown roughly depending on density)
Reply Quote
from testing myself, CoB radius is 6.5-7.5 yards yards. (6.5 north south, and 7.5 east - west) yes i know is wierd but the damage radius seams to be slightly football shaped. I am not sure if this is due to my computer monitor setup but i have tried this with my desktop and laptop, putting some cling-film on the screens and using a millimetre ruler to measure range from myself to gold with a Toad (for a baseline of 20 yards) then checking on "death / drop spots" and taking average on where a monster drops loot

So yeah, for GF/GI you want at LEAST 7 yards.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys. With a cob build I guess 20 yards is enough for me. :)
Reply Quote
I'm one of those people who run zero pick up radius.

My tactic to make this work is, I'll just keep the globes on the ground until I get a massive pull with at least one elite pack mixed in, and draw them to where I had the globes. I'll then pick them all up and then proceed to melt face. rinse and repeat in another area.
Reply Quote
I loved having the 20 from ToTD, but it gave way to more DPS. I luckily crafted a decent pair of gloves with PUR, so I am making due with 7. I like to be able to stand there and absorb all the globes around me while casting COB, and since mostly everything dies pretty close, all the globes get sucked up helping me stay alive and fueling GF.

Hopefully the item patch will let a ToTD roll with level 63 stats. I will be rolling with one again at that point.
Reply Quote
Solo:
I've run zero PUR and it works with GI and CoL just fine.

But for GF, even 6 yards wasn't enough to pick up all the health pots, but most are taken.

Party:
I recommend 10~14 (two pieces)

20 from TotD takes care of everything.
Reply Quote
Solo:
I've run zero PUR and it works with GI and CoL just fine.

But for GF, even 6 yards wasn't enough to pick up all the health pots, but most are taken.

Party:
I recommend 10~14 (two pieces)

20 from TotD takes care of everything.

6 PUR should be enough for all the globes generated by CoB, your problem is likely coming from Soul harvest and/or other dps skills. Soul harvest has a range of 16, so 6 PUR is not enough , 7 is slightly below but fine for GI most of the time, for gruesome feast, it will be 10 PUR (7+3 from your endogenous PUR), not ideal for 16 PUR but it works most of the time.
Edited by Neuron#1807 on 6/29/2013 11:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nope.
I'm playing on MP10 with and without SH when I was testing this.
Just CoB killing enemies with large hitboxes at max range.
That will leave enough globes just outside of PUR for me to notice. I'm not picky either, it happens often in large groups of enemies (solo play only).
Reply Quote
Nope.
I'm playing on MP10 with and without SH when I was testing this.
Just CoB killing enemies with large hitboxes at max range.
That will leave enough globes just outside of PUR for me to notice. I'm not picky either, it happens often in large groups of enemies (solo play only).

Thats very strangle because I have 7 PUR, and I have never noticed extra globe that I can't pickup from CoB. Even for SH they are usually within PUR range. The only exception is zombie bears.

CoB according to some testing post, have about 7-8 range. So 6 + 3 (that comes with the toon) is enough.
Edited by Neuron#1807 on 6/29/2013 11:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]