Diablo® III

[CO-OP] HC Self-Found League

07/03/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Millhouse9
Diablo is all about loot and playing self-found makes the loot in this game so much more exciting!

One thing I'm learning in my very short experience playing HC. Diablo 3 with SCAH (Soft Core Auction House) is all about loot and farming efficiency. Diablo 3 HCSF is all about progression (and loot is only seen as a means to that end).

The thing with playing the SCAH toon is that it is all about buying the optimal gear to run optimal builds for optimal efficiency for farming efficiency and the like. For many, it's also about the e-peen factor of acquiring GG gear along the way. And since death is nothing more than a nuisance that slows you down, it's not as mandatory that you do it without dying. And then there is also some of us who like to experiment with unpopular gear and builds to see if we can make it viable in higher MPs (hello Maximus!).

In playing HCSF, efficiency goes out the window for survival and progression (without dying) becomes the goal, where loot and gold is a means to that end. I think I can officially say that I've "finished" the game if I can complete all of D3 in MP10 Inferno in HCSF (to hell with efficiency). For most folks, that might be seem impossible, but wouldn't that be the endgame for the HCSF monk? That would be the ultimate challenge, I think. And that might not be realized a LONG time for me - even if I were to ever hit p100 on a HCSF monk (longshot, I know), I doubt that it would be MP10 Inferno capable by then. Heck, I don't even think I can complete MP10 inferno in my SCAH monk without any deaths, let alone HC.

I have to admit though, I'm jelly that you have a crew of other self-found players to roll with. I've been playing mostly solo through my journey so far, so I guess I just need to network more on these forums to help find a good team.

I feel very fortunate to have come across these fine players and been playing alongside them. But in case you are interested, I created a thread in HC looking for fellow HCSFers - that's how I got your name. Go through the posts and see which ones have identified themselves as this... if you don't already know them. And once we hit inferno, I'm sure I would hit you up for some runs too, as long as you aren't too far ahead of me... don't want to be holding you back!
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 7/3/2013 3:16 PM PDT
Nameless - I got your friend request but when I went to accept it said your list is full. So I guess I'll decline and add you. Good luck on your journey to level 60 and inferno!
07/03/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Millhouse9
Nameless - I got your friend request but when I went to accept it said your list is full. So I guess I'll decline and add you. Good luck on your journey to level 60 and inferno!

ARGH! I think it's time for me to cut some people off my list then. Of all things I thought I'd get when I started this game, I never ever thought I would have a full friends list. Is there any kind of achievement for this? lolz.

I think it's time for me to pare down my list, as it is getting a bit unruly in there. Thanks for letting me know. I'll re-add once I am done.
hey nameless, whats your status now? im 48, getting two more levels so i can access hell.
well damn. thats my 3rd monk lost due to connection issue. now i gotta catch up with you again.
maybe ill try a different class, i dont think i can stand to lose another monk to DC
So last night, we went a little bit further in our quest to level ourselves up and progress through hell and such. We were running Nightmare A2 MP5, and the group consisted primarily of me, Chronotriggr and Wannabee808 -- Zynestria was in for the first bit but had to leave early. Some reflections on what took place in our brief run:

(1) I had my first NDE. We were in the Forgotten Ruins and we came across those Blazing Guardians. And for the first time since I started hardcore, my screen started turning red as my health seemed to go down much faster than I was expecting. I think I was sitting at around 10K health at the time, and the fire was burning me up. As soon as I saw the screen turn red, I popped a potion and dropped a bell to regain health (I was DWing two LS weapons at the time) and then proceeded to move out of the pool of fire and continued to tank that thing. I was taking on that BG solo at the time because Chronotriggr (who apparently also experienced his first NDE in the same fight) and Wannabee808 were off fighting the others. I eventually recovered and we killed the pack.

I gotta say. I was calm while this happened, but my heart was racing and my hands were shaking ever so slightly after that. Once I realized what happened, I teleported back to town and put on serenity on my toolbar, and I think went S&B for a short amount of time). I think I also put on a helm with more health too to tank myself up. And we finished the rest of the Forgotten Ruins without any further incident.

As I was playing some more, I realized that I just needed to be more aware of what was going on around me, especially when fighting difficult packs. I might need to swap in my shield and go a bit more tanky next time I can see another difficult situation. I think this is definitely teaching me a bit more situational awareness.

It's also teaching me not to play tired, as I was getting kinda sleepy and careless at the time. I was doing that for the past couple of nights, and I don't think I want to do that again. So I might have to recognize when I'm tired and stop the run. The last thing I want to do is die because of something that I could easily fix (by withdrawing from the run and resuming when I had more wits about me).

(2) After we completed our run, I was about to do a bunch of crafting. I was going to convert all of my leftover mats from normal mode to make nightmare equivalents. But again, because I was so tired I got careless and ended up converting my nightmare essences to hell (which aren't usable to me until I get to hell, I think). What that left me with was no more crafting mats to make more gear. Which really sucks, since that was my main source of upgrades (that, and crafts that my team were also making). Yet again, it is not a good idea to do some of these things while you are sleepy.

So now I need to get back on tonight and start farming for crafting mats to get back what I lost to that particular blunder. I hate not being able to craft. Fortunately, it was only the essences that I converted and not the lizard eyes (or whatever the nightmare level rare mats are).

--

@HuntingFox -- I just took a glance at your profile to see your progression and it looks like you lost your most recent character since this most recent post in this thread! :( :( :( Do you mind me asking you what happened? Hope you're taking it alright. Let me know if you plan to level another one up. Maybe if we get to the same point again, we can group together and move along together. :)

@Chobo -- I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your monk too. I'm worried about losing mine to D/C or lag spikes. Yes, maybe it's time for you to make something. Like a WD or something. I need to get to know some Int class HCSFers because I have acquired some great INT stuff that I end up salvaging since nobody I know needs em. Such a waste. :P
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 7/4/2013 10:20 AM PDT
I got booted for the man, the myth, the legend....Vrkhyz :(. ahh well he's a better self found player than I am. Plus I'm always leaving to change diapers :o lol
Hey, nobody got booted! I just got invited before you showed up :)
So Vrk is playing HC now?

I was working on him before he left. Constantly subtly suggesting that maybe he should be playing HC. But you, Nameless create your self found league and BAM! You've brought Vrk over. And about 10 other people.

Your a trendsetter Nameless. Hell, you guys seem to be having so much fun MY next Wizard is going to be self-found-ish just so I can join you all sometimes. Keep on keeping.
So Vrk is playing HC now?

I was working on him before he left. Constantly subtly suggesting that maybe he should be playing HC. But you, Nameless create your self found league and BAM! You've brought Vrk over. And about 10 other people.

Your a trendsetter Nameless. Hell, you guys seem to be having so much fun MY next Wizard is going to be self-found-ish just so I can join you all sometimes. Keep on keeping.

Well, what we seem to be doing right now is that as one of our HC mains die, a bunch of us start a new HC character with that one and level up together (sadly, that is what happened to Chronotriggr, whose HC monk died to the Lag Spike of Death). I think that's how we ended up roping Vrkhyz in. The more people we can get in here, the better as people can have the comfort of knowing they are playing with others to show them the ropes.

Really, it's a blast doing this with a bunch of people together.

Start levelling up your wiz, and we'll rope you in for some HCSF action. I'm probably gonna go slow with my WD, so you'll probably catch up in no time! Heck, I might end up rolling a barb or something, so maybe we can start this off together! :)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 7/6/2013 3:26 PM PDT
Hey on a seperate note, I'm kinda on a different time zone as the rest of the guys. If anyone plays a bit later on Pacific time let me know (I'm on Hawaii time so it should be a 2 hour difference) as HCSF is an awesome experience. Plus Nameless wants to really try and "grow" this league! :)
Updates:

(1) I decided to change the title of the thread. This started as a personal thing, but I think this would be better served as a community thing... almost like a group blog for those who want to post in here. So rather than "My", it's just "The" to become more inclusive.

(2) I changed the second post to include those who are actually signing up for this crazy adventure. I should put actual battletags in there so that anyone interested can add them too. Playing this way is always more fun in a group, especially when they are great people.
If I forgot to mention, keep all spare gear you don't want to possibly lose in stash. I would keep all gems, legendary, rares, crafting materials and potions in stash. If this would violate how you want to play if you needed to reroll, then disregard.
I will be joining this self-found/team-found HC.

I will be playing Barb.

My friend (TML23) will also be joining and he will be playing Monk. (Class reversal)

I believe some of you played with me and TML in SC.
Count me in as well! Dust the Witch Doctor is my HC self-found character. Safe travels!
Updates:

(1) I decided to change the title of the thread. This started as a personal thing, but I think this would be better served as a community thing... almost like a group blog for those who want to post in here. So rather than "My", it's just "The" to become more inclusive.

(2) I changed the second post to include those who are actually signing up for this crazy adventure. I should put actual battletags in there so that anyone interested can add them too. Playing this way is always more fun in a group, especially when they are great people.

Excellent I will begin posting my exploits here love the idea of having a league of other SFHC players. Posting stats of what you accomplished is a huge help to newcomers and gives a nice idea of where you should be in regards to what content you are fighting. Also if anyone wants to add me for SFHC feel free :)

Side note If anyone knows where the wall in hell is please let me know :P
The wall is Hell. Once you get there, you will know why most give up on SF when they hit Hell. Until you get to Hell, it's pretty easy and straightforward.
07/07/2013 01:11 PMPosted by Gungnir
I will be joining this self-found/team-found HC.

07/07/2013 02:38 PMPosted by TexaStranger
Count me in as well! Dust the Witch Doctor is my HC self-found character. Safe travels!

This is great news indeed! The list is growing (check out post #2 to see members of the co-operative that I am hoping will grow. Yes, I'm changing the name of it from league to co-op, as I think "co-operative" is more descriptive of what I hope that this can turn into. Lots of gear changing hands and a deeper sense of kinship amongst HCSFers.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 7/8/2013 6:54 AM PDT
Looking at the list maybe I should roll a DH as well. You guys must save all DH item for me than lol
Lots of gear changing hands and a deeper sense of kinship amongst HCSFers.

HCSF... You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Anyway, I'm going to be creating a HCSF Wizard at some point. I tried to create one last night, but failed. I just got as far as getting Leoric's crown when Nameless sends me a message asking why I'm playing a SC Wizard. Apparently, I failed the first tested of Hardcore. Again. Most of my HC characters start this way.

My brand of HCSF, which may of may not jive with what the League of Extraordinary Self Founders is doing, is to even use gear found by my non-self found characters. I've been stockpiling anything that has Int/Vit/AR on it for a while, and found a Triuverate and nice sword which were sort of the impetus for my trying this. I think I also have an Int Vile Ward that hasn't sold.

For me, it's going to be more about the fact that stuff I find may actually be useful than about any sort of challenge. My Wizards have all died before beating Inferno when using the AH, so really the whole HC thing is challenge enough for me. I'm really, really good at killing them.

See you guys around on the early levels.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]