Diablo® III

Found this interesting re: Self-Found

From Wyatt Cheng:

The drop rates were tuned for a player who would never use the Auction House. For the majority of internal development, we didn't have an Auction House, and we all played using our own drops only. I've personally leveled multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found - we all did,” Cheng added.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Diablo-3-s-Auction-House-Has-No-Effect-on-Drop-Rates-276302.shtml
Reply Quote
That was before they added Monster Power though. It is pretty trivial working your way up to MP3 with self found to be honest. It is getting into the very high end stuff that becomes difficult.
Reply Quote
From Wyatt Cheng:

The drop rates were tuned for a player who would never use the Auction House. For the majority of internal development, we didn't have an Auction House, and we all played using our own drops only. I've personally leveled multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found - we all did,” Cheng added.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Diablo-3-s-Auction-House-Has-No-Effect-on-Drop-Rates-276302.shtml

Loots are completely fine... until you reach Inferno. Inferno has always been the problem.
Reply Quote
I've personally leveled multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found - we all did

multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found

multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out

multiple characters from 1 to 60

1 to 60
Reply Quote
yes I agree with both of you Ender and Doombringer, but I still thought it was interesting :-) LOL
Edited by hawkeye#1460 on 7/3/2013 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
07/03/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Ender
It is pretty trivial working your way up to MP3 with self found to be honest.

Keep in mind that Inferno was more difficult than it is now. MP3 - 4 is what Inferno used to be pre 1.0.5.

If you're having difficulty doing the content in Inferno, you're unlikely to get gear. And since MP1 and higher makes every enemy level 63, all items have the same drop rate in any Act with Monster Power enabled.

Before 1.0.5. Act I and Act II had significantly reduced droprates for ilvl 63 items.

One last thing to consider, Wyatt specifically mentions the leveling process from 1-60 as self found. Nowhere does he mention gearing for Inferno as self found.
Reply Quote

Keep in mind that Inferno was more difficult than it is now. MP3 - 4 is what Inferno used to be pre 1.0.5.

I think that's very interesting also -- then why were so many peep complaining Inferno was too difficult??
Edited by hawkeye#1460 on 7/3/2013 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Telliks - spot on. Rofl, spot on.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 02:42 PMPosted by hawkeye

I think that's very interesting also -- then why were so many peep complaining Inferno was too difficult??

That was before the itemization patch... you know, when IK could roll Int but no Strength... when Nat Set could roll everything but dexterity... when most legendary items were worse than Rare items.

Monsters would 1-shot you most of the time. The game was broken... but I still managed to beat it before the big nerf :)
Reply Quote
I was stuck in Act 1 before the Monster Power was added so I just rolled other characters. I think the MP system was a good idea for all players and even us Selfies are going to have a hard time at MP4. This is where we need to group with other Selfies and continue the good fight.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Drothvader

Yeah, that is why I said MP3 and not just win the game :).

It is actually a lot easier now because some of the more obnoxious affixes and mobs have been specifically nerfed as well. It was really easy to do MOST of Inferno before the nerf it was just specific elite packs and even some normal mobs were ungodly strong compared to the rest of the content.

If the AH didn't exist people would still be doing MP10 right now, just not nearly as many. The itemization is broken to a degree but the AH just makes it so much more apparent.
Reply Quote
66 Gnome Rogue
Does selling alone through the AH constitute "use of AH"??
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Drothvader

If you're having difficulty doing the content in Inferno, you're unlikely to get gear. And since MP1 and higher makes every enemy level 63, all items have the same drop rate in any Act with Monster Power enabled.

Before 1.0.5. Act I and Act II had significantly reduced droprates for ilvl 63 items.

One last thing to consider, Wyatt specifically mentions the leveling process from 1-60 as self found. Nowhere does he mention gearing for Inferno as self found.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. He says they leveled characters to 60 but never mentions gearing characters for inferno which was next to impossible unless you were abusing some mechanic and farming chests. The only way he ever set foot in inferno act III was by using dev tools to insert himself there.

Also, this notion that MP3-4 is what original inferno was is complete bullocks. Original inferno was way harder and required waaay more defensive skills/stats. My barb's dps unbuffed is IMO a bit low for MP10 but I'm able to survive quite well there with way less defensive stats and a couple less passives than what I was forced to use in original inferno act III. I was getting toasted in act II with more resists/armour/vit/defensive passives than I use now.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 04:20 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Odd. The key takeaway from that quote IMO is that they tuned the loot for SF, but somehow everyone is talking about everything but this. Maybe it's just me though.

Yea it's just you.
It's a year old article where Wyatt mention they leveled their characters 1-60 self-found.

I did this too, in 3 days with the monk I'm playing now. Cause I had to verify the purchase before they'd let me trade, so it was a fun thing to beat inferno before I traded anything, at least on mp0.

There's several mentions of Wyatts journey 1-60 in this thread, but perhaps you missed it somehow.
Reply Quote
Tuned for never using AH 1-60, yes.
But their estimates seem to have flewn right out the window now haven't they?
Because everyone uses AH and it's the only path to attaining your full set of fine wares needed to complete your major build.
Otherwise, you'd easily need to sink in an insurmountable amount of time in order to find certain items, such as a mara amulet that fit, you really think that would happen even in 10 years of solid gameplay?
Reply Quote
The developers have made this clear in several public statements.

If you take them at their word, the game was designed for self found. The auction house was included only as a convenience for the minority of players who used third party sites for trading in D2. They had no idea the auction house would get out of hand and ruin the point of the game. Kluges such as monster power and demonic essence followed to counteract the unanticipated result of everyone instantly having the best items in the game.

Self found advocates are simply trying to restore the game to the version originally envisioned during development.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Snelephant
the game was designed for self found

The game being: normal-nightmare-hell
Not inferno.
As in: "Inferno isn't meant for everyone".

Think about it.
How shallow this game 'was meant to be' for most of the players.
No sets, no plans, hardly any use for crafting.

And Inferno was never tested.

07/03/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Snelephant
Self found advocates are simply trying to restore the game to the version originally envisioned during development.

True. And it doesn't need that much number tweaking either.

But it's Blizzard. They can only think big: double this, half that, either do a complete redesign or do nothing at all. Well.. most of the time. ;)
Reply Quote
My girlfriend says I wasted enough of my life on this game and if I consider buying a console just to get screwed over again by buying this game then she would be very disappointed with my decision.
I have to agree with her. I think once Final Fantasy 14 is released in September I will be done with this game completely. It's still a good mind numbing face stomp for an hour after work though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]