Diablo® III

Marquise Ruby vs Emerald in a LS Skorn CoB Build

Pros and Cons?
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Hours
Pros and Cons?

Well not sure if it will be much help. On my build a Radiant Star Emerald gave me 500 more damage Than a Radiant star Ruby. My profile shows my higher resist and mana regen build. The build I was wearing when I tested it has 189K dps unbuffed. Main difference was a high damage serpent for the string and a zu helm with good intel and life and 3,5 cc.
Edited by hawkeye#1460 on 6/27/2013 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Emerald. See my barb.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee

Pros and Cons?
These two links may provide you some assistance in determining which gem is best for your particular weapon and build:

Community Commentary: Rubies, the More You Know

Marquise Ruby vs Emerald Theorycrafting
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Smash
Emerald. See my barb.

Emeralds are better for barbs because they can pick up an extra 15% crit chance from passives that WD's don't have access to.

@ OP go with which ever gives you a larger damage increase, there's no real hidden mechanics to take into account. Personally I prefer rubies because they'll improve your non crit damage instead of just your crit damage, which means more life steal even when you're unlucky with crits.
Reply Quote
Or you could figure it out the easy way by using a site like d3rawr or d3up to import your character and then make the changes to compare the differences.

Nobody can answer the question for you without taking all your stats into consideration Hours there is no right answer for everyone.

Those links are great if you want to understand it all Vaeflare but as far as actually getting to the answer to the question they are more likely to confuse most players than they are to help answer the question. Not to mention the charts do not cover everything.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for taking the time to provide me with this information. It is greatly appreciated. -Hours
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 06:11 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Pros and Cons?
These two links may provide you some assistance in determining which gem is best for your particular weapon and build:

[url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10232597/community-commentary-rubies-the-more-you-know-6-13-2013"]Community Commentary: Rubies, the More You Know[/url]

[url="http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=394773"]Marquise Ruby vs Emerald Theorycrafting[/url]

Or take theory completely out of discussion and load up your character on d3up.com or d3rawr.com (I like d3up), it will tell you which gem will give you more sheet, and eDPS.
Reply Quote
View profile
tbh, don't look at your dps

but think about how much chance you will benefit from emerald.

ruby is 100%

emerald depend on how much critical hit chance you have. I say 50% if what you want to achieve, but can you do it on a wd?
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 06:34 PMPosted by Belden
go with which ever gives you a larger damage increase, there's no real hidden mechanics to take into account. Personally I prefer rubies because they'll improve your non crit damage instead of just your crit damage, which means more life steal even when you're unlucky with crits.

I would go with what he said. The added damage from the ruby should still raise the crit damage a notch as well, not to the extent of an emerald, but more consistent damage is good imho.
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 06:11 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Pros and Cons?

[url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10232597/community-commentary-rubies-the-more-you-know-6-13-2013"]Community Commentary: Rubies, the More You Know[/url]

[url="http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=394773"]Marquise Ruby vs Emerald Theorycrafting[/url]

What an irony, the staff that is supposed to be working towards game diversity on all levels, whose eyes and ears you the CMs are, giving advice on which item is the "best".

You still haven't realized that you are not supposed to have best options. You are supposed to have many different options which end up being the best depending on how YOU utilize them.

Please for the sake of this game's best: do not promote the thought that some items are simply better than others and that's that. Too many people believe that already.
Reply Quote

What an irony, the staff that is supposed to be working towards game diversity on all levels, whose eyes and ears you the CMs are, giving advice on which item is the "best".

You still haven't realized that you are not supposed to have best options. You are supposed to have many different options which end up being the best depending on how YOU utilize them.

Please for the sake of this game's best: do not promote the thought that some items are simply better than others and that's that. Too many people believe that already.

The irony is that theory crafting in general is to determine which is the best situationally, and not empirically.

Theory crafting isn't to blame when there are instances of things that are BiS regardless of other factors. It doesn't control that.
Reply Quote
View profile
if your CC < 60% go with ruby
Reply Quote
Test a radiant star in each. Which ever one is better, upgrade to marquise.
Reply Quote
The harder enemies in my opinion is always the elites/champions, and during these fights the damage from crit evens out over the length of the fight. Therefor, IMHO even if you take LS into account always take the one which gives you most dps. Test at d3up.com. I would guess that since its a scorn it would be emerald because of low attack speed.

It is true though that Ruby will give you more consistancy with regards to LS and DPS, but due to elites taking longer to kill I would always go for the one with most dps.

Have fun!
Reply Quote
06/28/2013 03:09 AMPosted by Nynaeve

Vaeflare did not give advice - provided links that help explain what the gems do. There are always best options in regards to what the player wants to do. "i want to do X, therefore Y would be best route. However, if I wanted to do W, then option Z would be better" its the same thing with ruby vs emerald.
Reply Quote
If your CC is below 50% go with ruby else go with emerald. Keep in mind though that you will lose some DPS with ruby but you always land hits and not consider a chance.

For my monk and barb, emeralds are best. In your case I'd say go with ruby but note that DPS will drop. I say that as I noticed you have less than 50% CC.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Anyone can explain to me why when I place a ruby it has less damage than a emerald on my Monks off hand mace?

If the article is correct, the 49% more damage coupled with a ruby should exceed the emerald damage, shouldn't it?
Reply Quote
Anyone can explain to me why when I place a ruby it has less damage than a emerald on my Monks off hand mace?

If the article is correct, the 49% more damage coupled with a ruby should exceed the emerald damage, shouldn't it?

it depends on your gear / allocated stat setup.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]