Diablo® III

SelfFound - MP10 - Video Inside!

Pretty cool!

I've got my monk who is mp10 self found only, lvl 60 on Hell act 2 now. I haven't played him much in a while because it is very slow going by that point.

(http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Fizzmopper-1811/hero/32014970)

I also followed your rules, but included no HellFire rings on either me or my follower, and I kept track of my gold started/finished to separate that from the rest of my account.

One question though - how are you keeping track of the recipes? Did you start on fresh accounts for this? I've crafted a bunch of stuff that is most likely something that dropped for my other characters.

When you guys get to hell let me know - i'd be down to play in a group and keep leveling this guy to inferno!

Edit: shoot just realized this was in the HC forums :(. My guy is SC. Oh well good luck!
Edited by Fizzmopper#1811 on 7/3/2013 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Good luck with this project! I was able to get to level 54 (Hell, Act 1) on MP10 totally self found. I was 1 shot by a berserker in Halls 2 (IIRC). It's definitely an intense and enjoyable way to play the game. :)
Reply Quote

One question though - how are you keeping track of the recipes? Did you start on fresh accounts for this? I've crafted a bunch of stuff that is most likely something that dropped for my other characters.

that's a good question
Reply Quote
This actually encouraged me to start brand new monk in US server, mp10, self found, FTW!! ;)
Reply Quote
Funny, I just decided to start a new char a couple days ago and do something similar - run MP10 all the way, self-found / no vendors / craft only. For anyone knocking this, you really should try it. It's challenging.

I just got past the Skeleton King in normal MP10, and honestly I had to run the whole map I think twice to farm enough essence / craft gear to face him. Though I'm surely not the gamer a lot of ppl on this forum probably are. It got easier once I got to lvl 10 or so. Before that, there was a lot of hitting and running, using environmental objects etc.

What do you guys think about quest vendors? Is that out of bounds too? I did buy a dagger from the old miner. I figured a quest vendor is kind of a special treat and I earned it. Or maybe that was a rationalization ... LOL. He had a 20 DPS dagger and I was using a 14.1 sword. Couple more levels I can craft a ceremonial knife and I won't care.
Reply Quote
What do you guys think about quest vendors? Is that out of bounds too? I did buy a dagger from the old miner. I figured a quest vendor is kind of a special treat and I earned it. Or maybe that was a rationalization ... LOL. He had a 20 DPS dagger and I was using a 14.1 sword. Couple more levels I can craft a ceremonial knife and I won't care.

We did the old mines, and when it came up - we decided the quest vendors were out of bounds as well. I think running it with 4 like we are is actually making it alot easier than solo because of the synergy we have as a team (CC ability) as well as more blue drops that we share with each other (plus when we craft something odds are that SOMEONE in the group can use it even if we cannot).

07/03/2013 01:08 PMPosted by badomen

We did not start new accounts. Nor did we keep track (or try to) of what recipes we may have gotten over the past year and a half. Our crafters are level 10 - we discussed it, but ultimately we could not think of a good way to "make sure" that we didn't accidentally craft something we didnt natively have, so we opted to not worry about that.

07/03/2013 09:07 AMPosted by Fizzmopper
I kept track of my gold started/finished to separate that from the rest of my account.

We started monitoring our gold inflow / outflow by taking a snapshot at game entry of the gold amount available, then doing it again at end of session and figuring out how much we earned that session. When we started crafting things, however, it became super tedious to continuously try to track that, so threw that by the wayside. This is one reason we decided to NOT allow vender purchases, however. If we really wanted to, we could go and just create games over and over till we had the best possible vender purchase gear. So instead, we said NO vender purchases, but you CAN craft as long as you use items dropped from our SelfFound Game mode during play.

As an aside - We made the decision today that we are not going to leave any of our 4 behind (myself, Jonk, TacoDog and Xarcos). One of us is going to have to work for the next couple nights, so probably no updates till that happens.

Jonk and I are probably going to create a different SelfFound group with different rules if anyone is interested in joining us while we play - feel free to friend me and look us up.

Rev
Reply Quote
not sure about no vendors though... i use them, i think vendors boost you up only in the beginning.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 01:48 PMPosted by Foxas
not sure about no vendors though... i use them, i think vendors boost you up only in the beginning.

Probably right, excepting the rare quest venders - sometimes they have decent stuff in them.
Reply Quote
I agree, but this could be traeted as self "found" as well, what is more you have to pay for it as well.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 01:43 PMPosted by revbungie
We started monitoring our gold inflow / outflow by taking a snapshot at game entry of the gold amount available, then doing it again at end of session and figuring out how much we earned that session.

That's a simple solution to the gold issue. To keep honest on crafting materials, I decided to keep all the crafting materials for my self-found char in my char bag rather than in the shared stash.

Can't wait until some more rings and amulets start dropping, though. It's funny how much the crappiest gear can mean to you when you're doing self-found. I remember being excited because I hit a +4 int bracer on the first try. Then the first time a ring dropped i was like "OMG - a RING!" OK, so it's DEX. I don't care. I'm wearing it until I get the scoundrel.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 02:24 PMPosted by bmalt
It's funny how much the crappiest gear can mean to you when you're doing self-found

QFT!

That is one of the things we supposed when we started doing that that the actual dropped stuff would feel "good" because we didnt pamper ourselves with maxing out at the AH.

Dont know how this will translate to inferno (if we make it) but so far there is definitely an excitement factor when you see stuff drop again!
Reply Quote
Self-found is awesome. Can't wait to see this mode as in-game option.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 03:41 PMPosted by kerad
Self-found is awesome. Can't wait to see this mode as in-game option.

Fully agree.
Reply Quote
I think Rev mentioned this already but he and I will be starting up new self-found characters tonight to play when our group of 4 can not all be on (he and I tend to play more video games than the other two and Xarcos is at work for the next several nights). I think we most likely play the same rules (with the exception of maybe not mp10 the whole way since 2-player is less CC than 4-player so it will be even harder). Is anyone interested in joining us tonight with brand new self-found toons?

Grimiku, care to join us? ;)
Edited by Jonk#1400 on 7/3/2013 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wait...getting TO Inferno without using the AH is a "challenge mode" now? MP10 isn't that much harder than the game was on release until you get to Inferno (doubled damage, 4x health, while everything has been hit with the nerf bat and characters buffed a ton).

Congrats on playing the way everyone played the first week or two, I guess.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]