Diablo® III

Wishlist - Game Improvements

Hi. This list of wishes is meant to change small aspects of Diablo III for the better, including the Auction House, Convenience, Aesthetics and Gameplay. Big changes are now more than welcome to the list. They are categorized by Content, Mechanics, Skills and Itemization.

I would appreciate any suggestions for such changes. Please give a clear description of what the idea is so that I can correctly interpret what you're trying to convey. Also, a suggestion to which section eg. "Small Changes", "Big Changes" or "Debatable-if-small Changes", and which sub-category, would be greatly appreciated!

I've already started to compile wishes from player responding to this thread, from other sources and some of my own. (NOTE: Some of them might be on the way for the expansion/These below don't always contain small changes. Sorry about that! :) )

1.)Edit: Some ideas are not exactly the best, but I keep them for referencing/completion purposes. Any ideas that are sub-par or too game-changing will be moved to "Insiginificant/Extreme Changes.", unless the idea is too good - it'll then just move to Big Changes.

2.)Edit: Please - Heavily critique the current suggestions with improvements/changes to them as is. Don't bother critiquing those in the "Extreme changes" section, because... well, they're extreme and pretty insignificant!

3.)Edit: If possible, leave links to other suggestions (not currently on the list) so that I can sift through them for more ideas. I really want a big, central place for all player suggestions!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Small Changes:

Auction House:

1.) Vendor items from the AH screen: This can help clear your stash/inventory of unwanted gear whilst scanning the AH for more gear. [Thanks Fortoom!]

2.) Moving items in the stash/inventory while in the AH sell tab: This change will work well with 12.). The ability to move around items in the stash and to different tabs while working in the AH will again save effort with having to enter a game every time to do this. [Thanks Reximus!]

3.) An Auction House Tag system/Wishlist: This a way to "tag" items in the AH for reference to other buys, or just to keep an eye on them. A truly useful feature to all the AH vulture out there! [Thanks Jackal!]

4.) Searching for legendary-unique stats (which are not found on blue/rare rolls) on the AH: Quite an important feature to have since it creates a big hassle to find that "Chantodo's Will with +0.25 APS" or the "Lacuni Prowlers with a sweet +6% critical hit chance". This is a crucial feature which should've been added from the start. [Thanks DamienJohn!]

5.) Sorting items by bid amount: I'm there's a reason why one can't sort by bidding, to prevent sniping or some other reason. But why? Either way, this is a feature that should be implemented.

6.) Filtering items by a maximum bid amount: Similar to the maximum buyout option.

7.) "Turn gem off" comparison option: It is really hard to compare socketed gear where one has a gem in and the other one doesn't. An option to turn all gems' effects off for comparison in the Auction House would be great! [Thanks rOnn!]

8.) Follower Tool-tip comparison: The ability to compare gear directly to followers would be great. Probably by holding a certain button such as "Ctrl" or something while hovering over an item in the Auction House. [Thanks rOnn!]

9.) Filters on the "Completed" tab: Most players are focused on their next purchase, but some do want to look through what they've already bought; to recall how much they spent on an item, or just to get a sense of how much they've spent on the AH in general (or, conversely, how much they've sold). They don't need to be as detailed as the filters on the searching/purchasing tabs, but there has to be a better way to search through your AH history without clicking "Show more items" and scrolling forever. [Thanks venveng!]

10.) Sorting by +DPS,+HP or +Protect: Many people who are inexperienced at Diablo III gear have a tough time trying to find upgrades. I highly doubt that it was intended for the auction house to be difficult to find upgrades.

Convenience:

1.) Moving the gem artisan in Act I closer to town: I rarely run all they way down that slopey road just to create a gem. I rather just leave for another act to save the hassle.

2.) Skip cutscene/dialogue/quest completion/lore update option/button: It is annoying to have to repeatedly pres Esc+Enter to skip a cutscene and bash Spacebar to skip ahead on dialogue from NPCs. [Thanks Waitubold!]

3.) Compare gear tooltip with your other characters: Picking up WD gear with a Barbarian is always a hassle for me. If I have a WD, why can't I compare it directly to him? Having a button like say "Right-shift" to compare it to an assigned "Alt" character might ease up the gearing/selling situation eg. changing characters all the time to see if its actually an upgrade. It would work similar to pressing alt to see the comparison with your other ring, but instead it compares directly to your character assigned to the button.

4,) Remove/Move confirmation options (on gameplay elements, not to salvaging, crafting etc.): Have an option to have these questions always be confirmed. [Thanks Waitubold!] Or the removal of the boss encounter confirmation picture that blocks my view. I don't always want an auto confirmation. I want it possibly moved from the center of the screen so it isn't blocking my view. [Thanks AxeLord!]

5.) Shift-clicking on a Stash-Tab while your chat-pane is open will allow you to link that tab in chat: Other players can then click the chat-link and browse the contents of the selected stash tab. [Thanks Hades!]

6.) Assigning Lock or Junk marker to gear: (Reference: diablo.somepage.com/news/1579-playstation-3-diablo-iii-handson-preview)

6.1) Lock marker: This will ensure that a gearlock is inplace to make an item unsellable/undroppable yet still movable to a stash. It should still be able to be sold to the AH. This can possible work by pressing "Page up" while hovering over the item.

6.2) Junk marker: This will ensure that gear is automatically vendored once a vendor has been clicked. This can possible work by pressing "Page Down" while hovering over the item.

6.3) Sell All/Salvage All marker: This will convert all unflagged, or flagged, items in your inventory to either gold (at the vendors) or crafting materials (at the Blacksmith) with a single click. [Thanks Waitubold!]

7.) Alternative builds save option: Most people have a primary build, but some like to experiment with others. How about adding 2-3 alternatives to which you can change instantly, with all runes attached as saved? Eg. going from a CM Wizard build to an Archon build with a click of a button. All penalties currently active with a build-change could/should still be present. [Thanks Purpledino!]

8.) Increased stack sizes for gems/crafting materials: I have plenty of flawless squares sitting around waiting to be crafted, and wish they didn't take up so much space while I hunt down tomes. [Thanks Kuronishen!]

9.) A way to toggle numbers above your life/resource pools: I know this was something I loved having in Diablo 2, and to my knowledge it's something that isn't in D3. [Thanks Kuronishen!]

10.) Adding separators to gold values: This can be done in many ways. I've read about this a quite a few times and it feels like it is an important feature. I know the commas and full-stops were removed to not confuse some with different numbering systems. But why not add this in options to make it either: 1.) No separators, 2.) Comma separators or 3.) Full-stop separators. This will help prevent selling items at unintended prices or accidently trading too much in the trade window. [Thanks Samfisher!]

11.) Text shortcuts through the numpad: I don't know about other players, but the voice commands seem a bit useless to me. I'd rather just type it into the chat window. Maybe add the ability to instantly send custom messages through the numpad such as: Sell, Repair, Help, NV Stacks? etc., so that you don't have to type these messages during combat and save some time. They would have to have a spam limit though, such as you can send it only every 20 seconds.

12.) Out of chat item comparison tooltip: The ability to compare gear to your currently selected character when out of game (The green number differences). It is frustrating to enter a game every time you see a nice game just to compare it. [Thanks Reximus!]

13.) Customization of auto-loot options: Have the option to set which gear to be auto-looted, similar to the way that gold is eg. Setting a minimum iLvl to be looted (Which adjusts itself with +1 iLvL) as you your character levels, auto-looting a minimum tier potion (eg. all cLvl 60's will auto-loot mythic potions), auto-loot materials etc. [Thanks Reximus!]

14.) Enable/Disable friend request option: People get spammed by these bots named "1fsdgkl;sfklsam" and the suavely named "gsdlkjfsdf543g74d". This option is not the best solution, but some people dislike having friends (lol) and some would rather take the long route by only adding friends who whisper them for a request, and manually adding them. [Thanks Unparallel!]

15.) Character delete lock: Currently, if you delete two characters, you can only restore the last one, and the first one is gone forever. This happened many times before to many people, and there should be more safety in place for this. Be it trolls who are just doing it for giggles, or late-night accidents, it happens. [Thanks Bjorn!]

16.) Customizing loot visibility (This is probably the better alternative to 12.) auto-loot customization): This is something that's already in development (or decision phase), but nonetheless: There are too much white/grey/blue drops on the ground. Until the gain a useful salvaging feature, it would be sweet if we could turn their visibility off to not accidently pick on up every 30 seconds. [Thanks Waitubold!]

This is really important, not simply due to accidently picking some unwanted gear up. I've found that with enough gear on the ground, a limit of names is reached so that only a portion of the gear is shown, thus hiding wanted rare/legendary/set gear. This is probably the main concern on my books.

17.) Linking items outside of Diablo III: There should be a way to link any gear, be it from the stash, inventory or currently worn, to show other people or post in the forums. Currently, most people take screenshots of the gear and have to constantly post external links to image-hosting sites to show their gear. Isn't there an easier/safer way to do this? This would be really convenient for most players, especially those who are heavy forum users! [Thanks Kageki!]

18.)Better match-making in public games: People seem to be complain about other players, who are generally much higher level than them, running and head and clearing the levels with ease, leaving the weaker players behind.

This is probably due to mismatched pLvls/cLvls and can be fixed with a setting that reads, ”Prioritize closest level range”. [Thanks Eaglespot!]

Aesthetics:

1.) UI aesthetics customization: Some people seem to like to customize their mouse cursors, menus and the works. I guess the ole mouse cursor gets annoying at times! :) [Thanks Fragbait!]

2.) Gear cosmetics: Dyes that mimic the looks of other gear can be quite useful to those seeking more customization in their character's looks eg. The ability to make a Mempo of Twilight look like an Andariel's Visage or any other helm, but have it still look like a mempo of twilight in the inventory screen. This is definitely a small change ( If considered individually), but can turn out to be quite a big change if all items were changed like this. This is definitely a good solution to all barbarians looking the same with their Immortal King look. :)

Gameplay:

1.) Demon Hunter duel-handed weapons buff: It seems everyone plays with a bow and off-hand quiver due to the its sheer superiority. Maybe buff the the duel-handed combat with more APS or pure DPS to make it more viable again? [Thanks JRChadWick!]

2.) Paragon achievements: Probably not very significant to gameplay, but I feel reaching pLvl 100 is a lot more challenging achievement than reaching cLvl 60.

3.) Altering the movement speed cap: Why is it capped at 25%? Why not more? I think this would be better to be increased (to 40%? What's a sensible number?), or just completely scrapped.

Edit: Maybe replace the hard cap with a "diminishing returns" model: up to +10% your gear increases your move speed by 1:1; from 11% to 20%, it's 1:2 (so, half as quickly); from 21% to 30%, it's 1:3, and so on. You'd need a total of +100% move speed from gear to realize a +40% real speed increase, but can still stack as much movement speed as you like. Also, maybe tweak the base movement speed of all characters by +5% or so, or give an option to boost your move speed by holding the space bar or something when moving through areas that you know you've already cleared (it can reduce your armour slightly to offset, which will limit its use in uncleared areas). [Thanks Waitubold!]

4.) Temporary banner-teleport invincibility: This is to prevent deaths from banner-teleporting into the heat battle, just to be slain instantly by 1 - 2 seconds of lag. A 1 - 2 second invincibility buff just when you click on someone's banner could suffice for this unnecassary form of death. [Thanks Supreme!]

5.) Incentives for killing bosses: More drops/gold should be awarded for killing bosses, especially on Inferno. As is, killing story bosses are not worth it compared to just running elite/trash mob killing sprees and going on uber runs. The incentives should be enough to make it worth it to tie them into these farming runs, but not enough to make them the most efficient way of farming. [Thanks ontheleft!]

6.) A third option in softcore death - Revive at town: Sometimes people want to immediately travel back to town to change skills/vendor gear, or is stuck in a room with impassable monsters and cannot teleport. I highly doubt dying just to get back to town is much of an exploit owing to the repair costs, but this is still debatable. [Thanks Deadfront!]

7.) Class-specific items should have class specific benefits: Class-specific items should not have non-class-specific affixes that are somehow still unique to that item class: e.g. Mighty Belts should not be the only belts that can roll Life Steal. Likewise, class-specific items should be guaranteed at least one class-specific affix, either to boost resource generation, boost the effectiveness of specific skills, reduce the cool-down time of an entire category of skills, add a specific extra passive to your character, etc. [Thanks Waitubold!]

8.) Monster type random redistribution (Maybe an option?): In Diablo 2 after sometime, they changed the end part of act 5 to contain random mobs instead of the static types, so one time you would meet x and one time y and then another x,y and z. I was thinking if it could be possible, to make this happen but for the entire game, perhaps as a ticked option or something like that? That way we would see way more of the monsters because they'd be everywhere, randomly generated, making the game much more random and fun :D [Thanks algopeal!]

9.) Treasure Goblin nephalem stack: These goblins, when slain, should provide a single NV stack. [Thanks rOnn!]

10.) .) Workaround on “aura” skill replacements: A good example is with two barbarians: The one casts war cry that gives a 40% armor boost, but then the other casts war cry with invigorate which gives a 20% armor boost and life regeneration – this replaces the 40% armor boost on the other barbarian. Some people like to keep their current buff, e.g. War cry etc, and not have it replaced.

A workaround will be needed for this. This can possibly be implemented through a button which locks buffs from other players of the same skill which you currently have on. Applied to the above example: The one casts war cry that gives a 40% armor boost, but then the other casts war cry with invigorate which gives a 20% armor boost and life regeneration – both barbarians have the “same skill lock” enabled and it does not replace the 40% armor boost on the other barbarian whilst keeping his invigorate 20% armor and life regeneration boost.

I have experienced too many times where I have to ask kindly ask another barbarian to change his war cry rune just so that it won’t counter my invigorate life regeneration boost, which can be infuriating at times.

11.) XP-radius zones on minimap: Sometimes players like to run ahead and kill monsters, you are stuck somewhere or are just fighting two separate packs of mobs. A radius view around players currently in combat (The minimap axes icon thing) would be great for players to know if they are actually gaining/losing xp since the xp-gain distance is not that clear (I believe 2 screens far? Hard to judge that in combat).

Big Changes:

Content:

1.) Diablo I Dungeon: A 16-level dungeon, built with the same atmosphere / environment / bosses as Diablo I. This would really appeal to the old-school Diablo-ers and others new to the Diablo universe with a lapse back in time.

This basically contains 16-levels with 4-level sections. Each section has its own environment: A dungeon, catacombs, caves and hell. The only problem with implementing this is the art. It will be a very time consuming project. Most of the mobs in Diablo I are already in Diablo III. Bosses will also have to be re-done, and below is a small discussion on how they can probably be implemented in such a dungeon.

How do you implement the bosses of Diablo II in areas that are so different to the way they are implemented in Diablo III? I can see a couple of options here:

1.1.a) Direct boss Import from Diablo III.

The Butcher, on level 2, can have a room with a door. Once you click on this, you are transferred to the Butcher fight at the end of Act I. Once you exit at his top-door, you return to the butcher’s door. Similarly to the level 3 King Leoric fight, the door to his chamber will transport you his battle in Act I and back. Archbishop Lazarus, on level 15, can be imported as Zultan Kulle. Diablo, on level 16, is simply the final fight of Diablo.

If a direct import is to be implemented, it would be nice to know if the bosses can be transferred to other rooms without compromising their AI scripts. Say, if Zultan Kulle was moved to Ghom’s room and just added some really tough succubae. This leads to the changes, if possible, in 1.1.2).

1.1.b) Direct boss Import from Diablo III, but in an alternate setting.

The butcher can placed in a room, with a lot of bloody corpses. King Leoric can be placed in a room similar to the quest where one discovers the town portal ability. Archbishop Lazarus could be placed in Ghom’s room (Although it would be nice if there were extensions to that area) and Diablo is fought only in the realm of terror, but with some retexturing. The dungeon would work better if the boss fights were more like “elite” packs than scripted dungeons. This can be done via an indirect import from Diablo III.

1.2) Indirect boss Import from Diablo III.

Using the models of the bosses in Diablo III, they can be turned into “elite” packs with a bunch of affixes, and the spells/abilities they currently possess. This will simulate the closest feeling to Diablo I than the other two options.
With the talk of endless dungeons or variations of it, this idea seems fitting with more monster slaying content.

2.) PVP Dungeon: Instead of all the players fighting together, this one forces the party to go against each other for loot.

There is an initial pause phase where builds can be changed (All builds revert back as pre-dungeon and NV stacks are kept.) Once inside, all loot dropped is visible to all players. Players can kill each other, and random loot/gold picked up from the dungeon will drop for the other players. At the end of the dungeon, people laugh the clashes off and continue their pre-dungeon doings!

This is the ultimate grief-spot for those we seek griefing back in Diablo. The rewards must be worth it! It must be balanced though. This can be balanced by making the drops, in total, the same as if all players received their own respective loot. Thus, if shared it would be same amount of loot. However, the one who happens to survive through a 4-player dungeon and kill everyone gets about 3-4 times the amount of loot as usual.

I believe this is a good refresher from simply farming all day as PvE, and an interesting inclusion to PvP.

Mechanics:

1.) More (and more interesting) monster affixes. This is important. All elite packs through the history of the Diablo were/is important to gear drops. Changing the gameplay up a bit might create more varying situations. Having four affixes on monsters in Inferno reduces the variation a lot, and only a few are significant.

Possible affixes:

1.1) Trickster: Monster affixes will randomly change every 10 seconds.

1.2) Ambush:* Elite packs are invisible until a hero moves near them. This is an added affix, meaning not part of the 1,2,3 or 4 affixes. Instead, it is added to them as a 2nd. 3rd. 4th or 5th bonus affix.

1.3) Invisible: Monsters will temporarily turn invisible, causing confusing amongst heroes.

1.4) Spawn: Elite packs spawn a portal to hell, unleashing hordes of monsters onto the heroes until they are slain.

1.5) Magnetised: Similar to vortex, but the pull works constanly over time. Magnitude of pull is increased with each difficulty (Maxes at Inferno).

1.6) Senseless: Skill shortcuts 1,2,3,4, LC and RC are randomised and reduce the hero's sense of confidence. Also, your health and energy bars are not where the seem to be. Eg. when you're at full life, you're actually at 50% etc. This should be done with care

1.7) Call of the Demon: The monsters seek allies amongst fellow monsters in the area for assistance in combat

1.8) Energy Mine: Arcane Power, Fury, Mana, Spirit, Hatred and Vengeance are drained and used by monsters to place bombs underneath the ground, similar to mines. They explode if one steps on them.

1.9) Ghost Walk: Elite monsters can walk through walls, after enchanting them. Heroes can also follow with them. This is more applicable in areas with tight spaces such as The Keep in act III.

1.10) Blood Vision: Your vision is corrupted and the heroes hallucinate happenings such as arcane beams, a swarm of trash mobs etc. Also, the screen is filtered red.

1.11) Hibernate: Elite pack rests whilst taking damage. Once they awaken, they are deadlier than before and are a real threat to heroes. eg. 20% dmg buff, 20% IAS etc.

1.12) Warrior of the Rite: This pack has no affixes, except this. Instead, it has a rediculously high attack speed and only relies on its regular attacks to instill fear into the hearts of heroes.

1.13) Revenge of the Gob: The elite pack spawns souls of the dead treasure goblins to take revenge of heroes who steal treasure from innocent goblins.

2.) A minor restriction/reward on build changes. Create a debuff to all skills changed of -10% weapon damage. After 10 minutes of playing that build, the debuff should be removed. After 6 hours playing (game time) that build, a 5% buff could be added to the weapon damage of that skill. Skills, where there is no weapon damage is, could have +/- cooldown or something.

3.) Buff followers. Multiplayer is in a state where singleplayer is not worth it anymore. Buff the followers to a point where they are a lot better, but still keep multiplayer the better option in order to not make solo-ing the most efficient again.

4.) Improving Dodge: Worst damage mitigation in the game, and possibly part why DHs feel so "squishy." Maybe give players a move speed buff, equal to 1/4 or 1/3 their dodge chance, if and when they're taking damage from an undodgeable affix, so that they're better able to move away from its area of effect. Give it to all players, too, so that everybody sees the benefit (although the Dex-based DH and Monk would benefit most).
Maybe combine that with tweaks to those heavy-damage, undodgeable Elite affixes, so that their damage starts off lower for a second or two, and then ramps up above where it is now. After all, if you're given a fighting chance to dodge 'em, and still don't, then there should be some kind of penalty, right?

Also, if they buff the defensive skills and/or passives of the melee classes, then they can take the 30% DR out of the game, which seems to be causing some hard feelings. [Thanks Waitubold!]

Edit: It might be good if more dodge means a smaller hit-box.

5.) Improving Character Hit-boxes: This would actually work hand-in-hand with my proposed Dodge fix; if you're going to allow players to avoid attacks by moving around the screen, then it helps if they know which parts of the screen are actually occupied by their own hitbox. [Thanks Waitubold!]

Itemization:

1.) Skill modification through gear. I believe this is already on its way, but I can't stress how important this is. Eg. You can now: summon 2 hydras instead of 1, have call of the ancients last indefinitely, merge 2 runes into 1 for skill X etc. This will totally open up a new world of viable builds, similar to what D2x synergies did to Diablo II.

2.) Improving Gold/Health globe pickup radius: Having pickup radius also increases the radius of the player's area-effect skills. If light radius mechanics are patched into the game, then pickup radius should also apply there. [Thanks Waitubold!]

The AOE spells will have their radii slightly increased with any increase in Gold/Health globe pickup radius.

3.) Improving the lower level crafting gear: With the presence of the AH, crafting any gear other than the Archon items seems pointless. Why are they there? They seem to have been buffed on the console version, and thats a good thing.

The only problem is maybe the AH filling up with gear obtained from crafting, but there are always ways around this: 1.) Make all craftable gear account-locked, 2.) Remove the account-locked gear function and rather make them untradable etc. I don't see the point of crafting the lower iLvl gears. It is cheaper to buy a silly lowlevel waepon on the AH, than to go and salvage items that can be vendored for materials and craft a very poor item. [Thanks JeebusLee!]

4.) More difference between weapon types: It just feels like axes/swords/maces/hammers are the same with just different looks and varying APS. It has always been that there are underlying mechanics which greatly vary these weapons? As is, the insignificant differences make it pointless to have varying weapon types. They might aswell all just be swords. I can't remember who mentioned this, but something like an inherent "base bleed, armor pierce, stun"% chance with each weapon type.

5.) Improving Thorns: Working on the principle that players are the equivalent of elite monsters, they could replace this with something more like Reflect Damage. On items, give it a % chance to trigger whenever the character takes damage, and have it reflect a % of that damage back at the source, regardless of the damage type or source (on skills, it would have to work more reliably, of course), and maybe boost the chance of it triggering by the character's dodge chance, making dodge useful even for non-Dex-based characters. [Thanks Waitubold!]

6.) Improving Life on Kill: What if it replenished a % of the player's total life with each kill, rather than just a set number of points? To convert from current point-based affix to the new %-based affix, look at the average points gained per kill at each iLevel, and divide by the minimum character Life at the minimum required character level (and multiply by 100). It still wouldn't be the equal of Life Steal, but it would be a lot more useful; right now, it's a totally wasted affix. [Thanks Waitubold!]

Skills:

Empty.

Debatable-if-small Changes:

1.) Self-found/Ironborn mode: This is a really good feature - old-school Diablo at its best.

Insignificant/Extreme Changes:

1.) Custom camera zoom level: Having a bigger screen view is definitely not what is intended with this option. Just to alter the zoom-level to some preferable level between the static view and the zoom level by pressing "z". [Thanks Philoi!]

2.) Remove the class-specific gear restriction. Ok, a witch doctor helm isn't very good for a barbarian, but who cares? I want to have an eye rolling around! You should be able to wear it. Not the greatest idea (or maybe.. it is?), but hey... I'm trying! :)

3.) Developers could re-balance skills with predetermined builds in mind: This is quite a tricky point. It should be done in the spirit of creating more viable builds rather than destroying the ones that are currently working. What is a good number of viable builds though? 6? 8? 10? 20? This is quite hard to implement.

3.1) Randomly dropping items like "Nephalem Scrolls" which could create synergies with random skills: Eg. Firstly, it drops for a specific class. Then it rolls 2-3 random active skills which change the way the skills work, in a better way of course. Only one scroll can be activated at once per character, and once used, it is consumed. It can be replaced with another scroll at any time.

3.2) Designing a synergy system into skills that are underused or underpowered: This seems very similar to what Diablo II did, and its not that I wish "Argh, make Diablo III exactly like Diablo II!!!". I do not like that logic. Alas, it is a great feature that immediately creates more viable builds, but could create the possibilities quite complex (Which is a good thing).

Just to clarify things, this is not meant to boost one skill with the other. Its meant to boost both skills! Eg. using teleport with meteor reduces the cooldown of teleport and gives meteor a 15% chance to refill your arcane power. using teleport with meteor with meteor's rune X adds a +%armor for 1.5 seconds after teleporting and causes meteor to have an aftershower of meteors which deal 10% weapon damage each etc. This could also help playing skills without runes viable.

3.3) The 7th skill slot: Quite a silly idea, but might wildly increase the amount of viable builds or reduce them. This is up for debate, but in my mind this is a clearcut improvement and will improve the gameplay. This can possibly be implemented through gear. Imagine a ring that says,"Introduces an extra skill slot, but vastly decreases the effectiveness of that skill." Something like a 35% DPS loss, or a 20% Cooldown increase.

4.) Removing the AH/RMAH: I'm not a fan of this idea, but some people seem to be. Might as well keep it on the list since its quite extreme.

5.) "Bastion"-like challenge options:This might not be possible with a small change, but nonetheless might be a good idea to add for those who seek the greater challenge: (Refer to the game Bastion)

In Bastion, a very fun hack-n-slash indie game, there are options to increase the difficulty of the game for greater reward in loot/xp/gold etc. This system could be implemented for a greater challenge to players of Diablo III. It might work as follows:

Before starting a game, you choose from a couple of options. These can include: 1.) All monsters have double movement speed, but you receive 20% more experience, 2.) Your armour and resistances are reduced by 50%, but the droprate for legendaries are increased by 25%. 3.) Your gear's durability damage is increased 500% , but double gold drops. 4.) All elite-packs spawn in pairs, but so do treasure goblins. 5.) Bosses (Butcher, Belial, Azmodan, Diablo etc.) have 400% more life and 200% more damage, but you receive 10 times the amount of ingredients eg. Tomes of secrets etc.

I dunno, of course those are not the most creative options, but the system could work. The purpose is to increase the challenge and reap more rewards. The cool thing is, you could enable all the options for an insane gaming experience which only the best should try. This isn't suppose to be a minor challenge for big rewards, but the opposite.

6.) XP Penalty on softcore death (Similar to Diablo II, but less harsh): Gold is a valuable currency for Diablo III and the penalty of repairs is justifiable. However, the penalty still feels a bit weak. I suggest a 5% experience loss of the current progress e.g. If the slain player is currently 50% towards paragon level 50, upon revival he is now at 47.5% experience.

This is a minor penalty which might enforce a little bit more focus on survival or eHP than just pure DPS builds. Players should not feel that dying a few times is better than to properly equip their characters, but the penalty should be subtle enough to not force them out of DPS builds.

I hope someone can add some more tiny changes that make a big impact on the world of Diablo. :) I will add a big [Thanks mr./mrs. X!] for any ideas!
Edited by pusimusidu#2707 on 7/15/2013 9:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Only your first idea (moving Chen's A1 location) might be considered "small," and even there I'm not sure, since they'll have to basically redesign New Tristram's layout to make it happen. But the rest? A new timed debuff that takes effect whenever you change your build? Completely redesigning followers? What makes you think that these are small changes? Skill modification through gear is already part of loot 2.0, which is big enough that we won't even get a preview of it for at least six months. "Removing the class-specific gear restriction" is a radical itemization change, and why would Barbarians want to be running around with WD Mojos anyway?

If you want a really small idea, how about removing the confirmation dialog boxes from the game? "Return to dungeon entrance? (Confirm/Cancel.)" "Quest Completed! (Contiune.)" You have to click through a lot of these, and it's annoying every time; anything that's repetitious, frequent, and annoying is a good candidate to be removed from the game. That's what a small change looks like; no new art or area layouts required, and no changes to any of the game's core mechanics or systems.
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 7/2/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Only your first idea (moving Chen's A1 location) might be considered "small," and even there I'm not sure, since they'll have to basically redesign New Tristram's layout to make it happen. But the rest? A new timed debuff that takes effect whenever you change your build? Completely redesigning followers? What makes you think that these are small changes? Skill modification through gear is already part of loot 2.0, which is big enough that we won't even get a preview of it for at least six months. "Removing the class-specific gear restriction" is a radical itemization change, and why would Barbarians want to be running around with WD Mojos anyway?

If you want a really small idea, how about removing the confirmation dialog boxes from the game? "Return to dungeon entrance? (Confirm/Cancel.)" "Quest Completed! (Contiune.)" You have to click through a lot of these, and it's annoying every time; anything that's repetitious, frequent, and annoying is a good candidate to be removed from the game. That's what a small change looks like; no new art or area layouts required, and no changes to any of the game's core mechanics or systems.

Edit: I have changed the suggestions to different categories: Small, Big and Debatable-if-small Changes.

I concede to listing ideas that are not exactly the smallest. Its really hard to though. I could only really list one, and that is the Covetous Shen replacement, which is only relatively small. I'm hoping others will join in and help me with some ideas. Little quirks tend to be a lot more annoying over time than big changes (although very subjective to players).

Wearing other class-specific gear is rather pointless, but is it? Having the ability to quickly compare the gear to your character, even if its all negative, might make it easier to estimate its value. Also, early characters might have an easier time filling up slots, especially for those playing self found. If you've just got a white helm, and you pickup a monk helm (and its actually an improvement), why shouldn't you be able to wear it? I don't think its exploitable. Either way, I can't see the downside of it. The only one being a minor-delay on D3x if they were to consider it. :(

7.) Skip cutscene/dialogue/quest completion/lore update option/button: Similar to what Waitubold said. It is annoying to have to repeatedly pres Esc+Enter to skip a cutscene and bash Spacebar to skip ahead on dialogue from NPCs.

8.) Compare gear tooltip with other characters (Incase idea 5.) is not viable): Picking up WD gear with a Barbarian is always a hassle for me. If I have a WD, why can't I compare it directly to him? Having a button like say "Right-shift" to compare it to an assigned "Alt" character might ease up the gearing/selling situation eg. changing characters all the time to see if its actually an upgrade. It would work similar to pressing alt to see the comparison with your other ring, but instead it compares directly to your character assigned to the button.

9,) Remove confirmation options (on gameplay elements, not to salvaging, crafting etc.): Similar to what Waitubold said. Have an option to have these questions always be confirmed.
Edited by pusimusidu#2707 on 7/3/2013 6:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Self-found mode would be incredibly easy to add.

Trading is already disabled in Starter Edition and hard core already has a separate stash.

Adding a SF mode involves just assembling together two pieces of code that are already implemented.
Reply Quote
Self-found mode would be incredibly easy to add.

Trading is already disabled in Starter Edition and hard core already has a separate stash.

Adding a SF mode involves just assembling together two pieces of code that are already implemented.

I do not believe it is that easy. Can't really say why, because I don't know but it couldn't possibly be that easy otherwise it would have been implemented overnight in a patch.

Either way, please try to add ideas that small and new-ish, unlike a Self-found mode which has already been discussed a lot.
Reply Quote
- Remove AH and RMAH and put Drop's at true RANDOM levels.
- Disable all trading.
Reply Quote
07/02/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Onafets
- Remove AH and RMAH

I believe an option to play self-found might be on its way, but that is not a small change. That is probably the biggest change Diablo could receive, other than shutting the game down. :)

- put Drop's at true RANDOM levels.

What is true Random? True random does not even exist on a quantum level. Unless they measure atmospheric noise with zero altered error (no chance of that happening), true random is not achievable. So, what you're asking for is an acceptable level of random? But what is that?

Unless you mean removing any fixed stats on items, such as legendaries or sets? That wouldn't be a good idea, as it would create an even more bland item system, although it could it help with the whole BiS thing.

07/02/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Onafets
- Disable all trading.

That would require blocking the ability to drop items, or making all items account-bound. Still sounds like a self-found mode to me :).
Reply Quote
Here you go, the biggest little idea ever: =)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796090831?page=1
Reply Quote
Remove account bound
Reply Quote
07/02/2013 11:02 AMPosted by pusimusidu
Ideas like a self-found mode, removing the RMAH etc. are not small changes at all. I want the tiniest (most important small changes) of changes which have the biggest impact.

The tiniest of changes means zero changes to the code. Implementing self-found does NOT require developer effort. See the quote below:
07/01/2013 11:42 AMPosted by BossDogg
I'm not convinced that Diablo 3 softcore only runs on a single server.
I'm reasonably confident that Blizzard runs softcore on a pool of servers. Softcore and hardcore may or may not run on the same server pool.
Blizzard should scale their servers to prevent lag.

I suspect you are correct as well. I suspect the auction houses run on a pool of physical machines in a clustered database environment. Softcore and hardcore game servers (software with differing rule sets) I believe run across multiple physical machines. This would make it easier to scale up to meet increasing demands. Much like the auction house servers the accounting/profile/achievement data are probably housed in a clustered database environment which in simple terms means a synchronized set of databases spread across multiple physical machines that are served up to clients as a single entity. The web profiles are most likely multiple physical web server machines accessing the accounting/profile databases.

From the above description, adding additional servers (scaling technique) does not incur developer effort, but server admin effort. It is vastly simpler to have server admins to do their thing than to go through code/test/debug cycles, which could introduce bugs/exploits. The game servers are potentially calculation intensive, while the auction houses, account/profile/achievement are transaction intensive. Web profile servers are potentially web traffic intensive. I've said in other threads that there are three possible positive side effects of implementing self-found at the server level:
1 - less server lag due to a greater distribution of server load (scaling technique) for the game servers
2 - less server lag due to lower transaction volume in the auction houses (no auction activity for SF)
3 - shorter maintenance cycles for self-found servers since the auction houses are disabled and the accounting/profile/achievement data would be separate.

All players would benefit from the above.
Reply Quote
07/02/2013 12:57 PMPosted by Deadfront
Remove account bound

Those archon crafting recipes will just further destroy the economy, but I agree: I hate account bound.

07/02/2013 12:48 PMPosted by Hades
Here you go, the biggest little idea ever: =)

Just for the ease of readers, here's the post from Hades (Nice idea!):

Ready? Here it comes...
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Shift-clicking on a Stash-Tab while your chat-pane is open will allow you to link that tab in chat. Other players can then click the chat-link and browse the contents of the selected stash tab.

I know a number of players have that one "to sell" tab in their stash, and it's usually full of stuff. The ability for players to link one of their stash tabs in chat would:

• Decrease clutter in chat channels
  • Make it easier and more time efficient to browse items (imagine clicking one link and then simply mousing-over multiple items instead of what we do now, which is click every individual item once to open and then again to close)
  • Increase player-to-player trade (see above)

I know your mind is blown right now, but please click the "thumbs-up" on this post. It is the only morally acceptable thing to do.

Love,
Hades =)

---------------
Update:
Just for clarity, the idea isn't to remove the ability to link individual items. That would be weird.

I really like the idea of linking the stash, or a part of it, for trading purposes. Sounds really great.
Reply Quote
So, the camera can change in the console version... can it change in ours? I want the ability to control the camera.. even if it is only from the same angle and all I'm really doing is zooming in and out.. currently we only have two zoom settings.. normal/and zoomed-in.. well what about zoomed out? what about in between these three.. This is something that is either (a) not possibly without massively rebuilding the game or (b) very easy because it is already in the game and they just don't let us adjust it for some reason.. if the case is (b) then I want them to open up this adjustment ability to us.

I have more ideas but that's one of them for now. ~Philoi.

PS: Self Found mode is easier than people will admit.. and tweak the drop rates and qualities can be done too. If it were difficult to do.. I'd understand objections since there are more important issues to deal with.. and I agree we should be talking about those first.. however.. I suspect it would be easy to implement and self-found mode.. for both soft and hard core... I think it would not involve much of a change. I just think that Blizzard is afraid it will become popular and then they'll miss out on their sweet sweet AH monies.

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
-Allow us to enlarge and change the color of the cursor or go back to t he D2 cursor.
-Change the checkpoint system. either make it shorter to return to the point of your demise, or for a small fee, return you to the scene of the crime.
Reply Quote
-Allow us to enlarge and change the color of the cursor or go back to t he D2 cursor.
-Change the checkpoint system. either make it shorter to return to the point of your demise, or for a small fee, return you to the scene of the crime.

So essentially, what you want is to change the aesthetics of the mouse cursor? I doubt that will have such a big impact on gameplay. :)

The second caught my interest a bit though. When you die, you leave a temporary checkpoint. A death banner will then spawn in town, which is only visible to you, and sends you back to the spot of the corpse? It sounds cool in theory, but with all the options already available such as getting revived by an ally or banner-teleporting to an ally is pretty much sufficient enough to unwarrant the need for this. Good idea though. PS: Not much of an exciting feature for hardcore players. xD
Reply Quote
All mobs have the molten explosion effect after they die.
Reply Quote
07/02/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Philoi
So, the camera can change in the console version... can it change in ours? I want the ability to control the camera.. even if it is only from the same angle and all I'm really doing is zooming in and out..

Having control of the camera will you give too much information eg. knowing where monsters are before they can engage some. The camera is fixed to a certain view to prevent exploitation of monster positions, something that is self-evident from Diablo II (If you've played around with the resolutions.).

07/02/2013 02:06 PMPosted by Malevo
All mobs have the molten explosion effect after they die.

And how would help the game? Other than causing mass panic with fake molten explosions everywhere! Would make hardcore a bit more scarier though... and cause senseless deaths to heroes who thought the last explosion was a fake... :(
Reply Quote
Small Changes:

8.) Custom camera zoom level: Having a bigger screen view is definitely not what is intended with this option. Just to alter the zoom-level to some preferable level between the static view and the zoom level by pressing "z". [Thanks Philoi!]

9.) Alternative builds save option: Most people have a primary build, but some like to experiment with others. How about adding 2-3 alternatives to which you can change instantly, with all runes attached as saved? Eg. going from a CM Wizard build to an Archon build with a click of a button. All penalties currently active with a build-change could/should still be present. [Thanks Purpledino!]

10.) Demon Hunter duel-handed weapons buff: It seems everyone plays with a bow and off-hand quiver due to the its sheer superiority. Maybe buff the the duel-handed combat with more APS or pure DPS to make it more viable again? [Thanks JRChadWick!]
Reply Quote
- Remove AH and RMAH and put Drop's at true RANDOM levels.
- Disable all trading.

Keep AH and RMAH and put Drop's at true RANDOM levels.
Reply Quote
4,) Remove confirmation options (on gameplay elements, not to salvaging, crafting etc.): Have an option to have these questions always be confirmed. [Thanks Waitubold!]

If the above isn't this please add.

Removal of boss encounter confirmation picture that blocks my view. I don't want just an auto confirmation. I want it moved from the center of the screen so it isn't blocking my view.

Although frankly I'd like to see the entire "encounter" mode removed and simply have it like it was in D2 where I can enter at any time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]