Diablo® III

COB Tick Rate Question - Vital to gear COB

I'm referring to this very well-done thread regarding COB tick rates. My question has to do with the breakpoints.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796451628?page=7#121

Lets say you have 1.89 attack speed. This puts you in the 1.88-2.00 attack speed range for the tick rates.

Would one gain damage by going to 1.95 attack speed but keep all other gear the same? According to this chart, COB would still tick the same number of ticks, and if you keep your damage, int, cc, and cd the same then in theory you wouldn't be doing any more damage?

Another way of putting it, would you be best off right below the breakpoint? Or right above it?

Would someone with extensive knowledge post? No guessing please :)
Edited by James1v12#1875 on 6/27/2013 8:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/26/2013 04:18 PMPosted by James1v12
Another way of putting it, would you be best off right below the breakpoint? Or right above it?

Look at it as brackets. If you want to fit into a particular bracket, just above the minimum would be cheaper to gear towards. In your example, 1.88 is the best, cheaper to gear and same damage as 2.00 (assuming the table is correct).

For CoB, although you do more frequent ticks, the ramp up in damage is the same 5 secs. Having more ticks also mean more casts (mana consumption), and will need more attention to mana management. Balance that for your comfort zone.
Reply Quote
Thanks for response!

You are stating that adding attack speed to cob build is worthless unless you are jumping a bracket?

So hypothetically, if you keep every other stat the same except increase your attack speed from 1.88 to 1.92 you aren't gaining any damage because you are in the same bracket? Then the goal would be to sit just above a breakpoint.

Or do the damage ticks themselves increase a little bit of damage but consume mana at the same rate? In which case the goal would be to be just under a breakpoint as you would be gaining damage without increasing mana usage.
Edited by James1v12#1875 on 6/27/2013 7:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 07:04 AMPosted by James1v12
In which case the goal would be to be just under a breakpoint as you would be gaining damage without increasing mana usage.

I think it's this. The increased aps will obviously raise your sheet but going over another breakpoint does more harm than good as mana consumption goes up one increment for minimal dps gains. Its not like ET breakpoints unfortunately.
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 07:04 AMPosted by James1v12
So hypothetically, if you keep every other stat the same except increase your attack speed from 1.88 to 1.92 you aren't gaining any damage because you are in the same bracket?

From Nubtro's research, yes you're right. You get higher sheet DPS, but the actual tick damage falls into the same frequency bracket. So your paper doll looks better, but in-game performance is the same as the lower breakpoint of the APS, that's how the ticks are activated.

However, if you use other skills (say poison darts), you will shoot faster and 1.92 APS will do more DPS than 1.88 APS, which is already reflected in the sheet DPS.
Reply Quote
Thanks again for input.

It seems like as long as you can support the mana, we should all aim for just above a break point for maximum eDPS.

Unless like you mentioned, you are into the sheet DPS thing.

I should mention the reason I ask is I am going with four piece Zuni plus tals armor gear set to get the fire damage bonus of two set tals. If I get an 8% attack speed tals I'm just below a breakpoint at 2.00. A 9% as tals chest puts me above at 2.012.
Reply Quote
Bump for a few more people to chime in.
Reply Quote
to play devils advocate. its just to high of ais imo. i have 1.53 aps and i find that more than enough aps for a cob build. i still go oom on some kockback elites or kiting elites. just imiagine at 1.9 ais it would be brutal unless u had 100 mana regen. but thats just my opinion. some docs here run well with higher ais.
Reply Quote
if you can manage the mana, faster AS is better for sure. i have 1.96ias, my kill speed and life steal is definitely faster than a friend of mine who runs with 1.63. we have about same dps. also i can cast cob in town for 57sec until mana runs out so mana issue is pretty much non existence for me.
Edited by Axiom#1648 on 6/27/2013 3:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/27/2013 03:29 PMPosted by EvoIution
just imiagine at 1.9 ais it would be brutal unless u had 100 mana regen. but thats just my opinion. some docs here run well with higher ais

Yeah. I have no problem with 1.88 aps, but I also have 80 mana regen and 1000 mana. Don't forget when you kill things faster you don't have to channel as long.

I tested out 2.01 aps with 80 mana regen and only 850 mana and it didn't work nearly as well. The two pieces with max mana helps a ton due to the initial high cost of COB.

But maybe once every run I'll have a bad elite with knockback or somethin and run out of mana. Jaunt helps with that though.
Edited by James1v12#1875 on 6/27/2013 5:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]