Diablo® III

PS3 version. 720 or 1080P

This was asked in the past but never answered.
will the PS3 version be in 1080p which no doubt the 360 will be.
Anyone ?
Thanks
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I dont think either will be in 1080p
Reply Quote
The 360 upscales to 1080p on most of it's games. Actually very few are not in 1080p on the 360.
On the PS3 however most games are in 720p. Only some games on the PS3 play in 1080p like the Call Of Duty series.
I am thinking unfortunately the PS3 will get the 720p D3, and the 360 will get 1080p version of D3.
Unless someone can officially clear this up.
Edited by JASONSPAZ#1203 on 7/2/2013 1:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm going to bump this kind of want to find out.
Reply Quote
I created a thread with the same question a while ago. Didn't get any solid answer but I agree that it's most likely the ps3 version will look slightly worse with its 720p vs upscaled 1080p on 360.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
07/08/2013 05:00 PMPosted by DarrelShark
I created a thread with the same question a while ago. Didn't get any solid answer but I agree that it's most likely the ps3 version will look slightly worse with its 720p vs upscaled 1080p on 360.

Actually, they'll look exactly the same.

All the upscaler will do is stretch the pixels. You will technically get more pixels, but the viewed "pixels per inch" will be exactly the same.

For example.

Let's say I have pixels like this in 720.

|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|

Now if I "upscale" those pixels to 1080 it might look like this.

|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|

It's technically the same amount of viewable "pixels" but just being stretched over more.

The only real benefit to upscaling is to reduce input lag on your TV so it doesn't have to spend time scaling the image to its native resolution. It doesn't make the image look better at all.

If both games run in 720, but one console upscales to 1080, they will look exactly the same.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 7/8/2013 11:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually upscaled 1080p looks worse than normal 720p, since pixels are not multiplied proportionally.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
07/08/2013 11:12 PMPosted by Drothvader
If both games run in 720, but one console upscales to 1080, they will look exactly the same.

This is mostly true. It will depend primarily upon what scaler is being used. There are differences between scalers that can be anywhere from subtle to dramatic. For instance, the old Anchor Bay 1010 had horrible scaling while their 2010 does fairly well. HQV's Reon, being a budget chip was "OK", but not stellar. Their Vida was sold to IDT, so it's unclear if Yamaha will continue using the Vida in its Aventage AVR lineup in the future even though it was a great scaler. But the HQV Realta was a prize winner, especially when scaling jaggy video games. Faroudja hasn't been good for years.

And yes, the console that scales the output before it reaches the AVR/TV will definitely have a leg up when it comes to input lag, but may also suffer an overall performance hit in the process, so it is a tradeoff that one has to decide whether or not is worthwhile.

Without invoking the TV/monitor's scaler, the very best TVs score about 40ms on the input lag tests in Game Mode. Most average 45-50ms, and some go up to 60ms. A very few have undefeatable processors which brings the input lag to 120ms before scaling.

As long as the PS3 version is optimized anywhere near as well as FF XIII was for its graphics engine on that system, then it should fare well even at 1080p in all but the most densely packed areas. Of course, whether or not the PS3 outputs at that resolution is still up in the air, but one can hope, right?

07/09/2013 12:49 AMPosted by Darlynn
Actually upscaled 1080p looks worse than normal 720p, since pixels are not multiplied proportionally.

This will depend on the scaler also, as each handles that task differently.

Caution: This cookie bites back.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 7/9/2013 12:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
07/09/2013 12:58 AMPosted by TheTias
As long as the PS3 version is optimized anywhere near as well as FF XIII was for its graphics engine on that system, then it should fare well even at 1080p in all but the most densely packed areas. Of course, whether or not the PS3 outputs at that resolution is still up in the air, but one can hope, right?

I would just like to point out that FFXIII was upscaled from 720 to 1080. It was not a true 1080 game.

Same with Metal Gear Solid 4.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I would just like to point out that FFXIII was upscaled from 720 to 1080. It was not a true 1080 game.

Same with Metal Gear Solid 4.

Interesting. Hadn't learned of that before (I like learning new things - never thought a NeoGAF forum would teach me anything *shudder*).

FF XIII had both native 1080p and upscaled 1080p content from what I found. The gameplay was 720p upscaled and the cutscenes were 1080p, with the PS3 doing the scaling. That would explain why there was no extra input lag, but there was marked slowdown in some places.

Then there's games like Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope that ran at 720p and...even then were slow as crap in some areas, which brings me to a point that may have significant relevance. What slowed down SO4 in those areas was the particle effects from the sand. The PS3 just couldn't render them efficiently (or properly - they shimmered when they shouldn't). That kind of gives me concern regarding D3's extensive use of particle effects for spells and terrain ambience.

I'm hoping the console devs found a way around that, otherwise heavily populated areas are going to suck bigtime.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
FF XIII had both native 1080p and upscaled 1080p content from what I found. The gameplay was 720p upscaled and the cutscenes were 1080p, with the PS3 doing the scaling. That would explain why there was no extra input lag, but there was marked slowdown in some places.

Yeah, the cutscenes were prerendered using the game's engine at 1080 which is why the 360 version spans a total of 3 discs.

While most modern games now use the game's engine to render cutscenes in real time, some games still use prerendered content. This is especially true for the PS3 given a Blu-Ray disc can hold 25gb of data per layer (Up to 128gb on a BDXL disc) versus 4.37gb per layer on a DVD.

But that's running a little off topic.

The main point is however, just because something's upscaled does not mean it will look crisper. When you upscale it will only serve to make the image blurrier depending on the filter used by the upscaler.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
07/09/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Drothvader
The main point is however, just because something's upscaled does not mean it will look crisper. When you upscale it will only serve to make the image blurrier depending on the filter used by the upscaler.

The one exception to this is simple pixel doubling. I use that for emulators all the time since I despise blurring. I actually had purchased an ATI VR 128 for my PowerMac 8500 back in the day and ended up only plugging the monitor into it when I wanted to play Unreal Tournament because its video filtering made text impossible to read on my games. I ended up just using the 8500's built in video input and had it set to fullscreen (which scaled it via pixel doubling). Crisp clean images, though I had to put up with screen tearing.

PlayStation games looked hilarioiusly bad on that setup though since they were jaggy as all get out and that was only magnified by the pixel doubled scaling. :o

Edit: Interesting tidbit: FF XIII on the XB360 was rendered at a sub-HD resolution and upscaled.from 1024x576 and had worse looking cutscenes than the PS3 version. GG MS royalties on multidisc games forcing compromises to fit on 3 DVDs.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 7/9/2013 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
This was asked in the past but never answered.
will the PS3 version be in 1080p which no doubt the 360 will be.
Anyone ?
Thanks
The PS3 version of Diablo III will use a 720p resolution.
Reply Quote
07/09/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Drothvader

Yeah, the cutscenes were prerendered using the game's engine at 1080 which is why the 360 version spans a total of 3 discs.

While most modern games now use the game's engine to render cutscenes in real time, some games still use prerendered content. This is especially true for the PS3 given a Blu-Ray disc can hold 25gb of data per layer (Up to 128gb on a BDXL disc) versus 4.37gb per layer on a DVD.

But that's running a little off topic.

My friend at square said they are all real time (apart from CGI)

http://andriasang.com/comf5c/ffxiii_cinema_scenes/
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/event/20091217_336540.html

Not sure where you get your information from but a lot of it is really wrong, especially when you describe up-scaling with a "filter"

It's a pixel scaling algorithm, nearest neighbor, 2x2 etc.

A filter is merely a fragment/pixel shader that manipulates the pixels in to acting a certain way.
Edited by Zombie#1529 on 7/11/2013 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Man, I was gonna jump in and say smart stuff but Drothvader beat me to it :/ Oh and everyone knows the best upscaler is Nearest Neighbor.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
My friend at square said they are all real time (apart from CGI)

http://andriasang.com/comf5c/ffxiii_cinema_scenes/
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/event/20091217_336540.html

Not sure where you get your information from but a lot of it is really wrong, especially when you describe up-scaling with a "filter"

A filter is merely a fragment/pixel shader that manipulates the pixels in to acting a certain way.

I'm talking about the CGI. =P

Not all cutscenes are CGI, just most of the longer ones.

There are still some in game rendered cutscenes.
Reply Quote

a "pixel scaling algorithm" is a convolution filter. just sayin'
Reply Quote
And people should remember the difference between native 720 and native 1080.

Almost 99% of Xbox games (some arcade titles are native 1080) are native 720p and upscaled to 1080, the PS3 is the only console this generation that has had retail titles hit 1080p native. But its not like that was true 1920x1080 also
Reply Quote
PS4 will no doubt have native 1080p games. I know it supports ultraHD for movies but I don't think anybody who knows anything expects games to come out in native ultraHD.

As far as the PS4 version of Diablo 3 goes..... I'd expect 1080p native with a few UI size and font DPI tweaks to have it all looking crisp but still be able to real +x stat on your items.

On a side note... An MvP mentioned upscaling on the console would cause peformence issues? No... Not something as simple as that it's a tiny amount of data for a GPU to smash through it does 100X the math every frame for 3D processing a simple algorythm is nothing.

I've also tested this with my xbox360 and it runs exactly the same in 720p or upscaled to 1080p.

Heck you can run much more complex shaders/filters over every frame and still get basicly no impact. It's not post processing the games just the output frames and it's a very limited/simple process.
Edited by GothicSaint#6149 on 7/12/2013 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
On a side note... An MvP mentioned upscaling on the console would cause peformence issues? No... Not something as simple as that it's a tiny amount of data for a GPU to smash through it does 100X the math every frame for 3D processing a simple algorythm is nothing.

I've also tested this with my xbox360 and it runs exactly the same in 720p or upscaled to 1080p.

The Xbox 360 has a hardware scaler built in. For systems like the PS3 which have to do it in software, there is a performance hit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]