Diablo® III

You don't need a mode

They don't HAVE to please anyone. Since when has that ever been a priority? Just look at WoW.

If someone wants to brag and show off their "e-peen" then they can go buy a ps3. If they don't want to buy it, sucks to be them.

It's a waste of time and effort to add some "self-found" mode
Reply Quote
creating a culture and a community based on that culture.

It's about creating a fun game culture! Please understand this.

Any culture worth anything has created itself through its own like-minded community. They didn't need to be catered to, the controlling bodies that govern them didn't need to create a place for them, they did it themselves. How about you self-founds use the time spent on this forum to create your own website/forum and grow your community. Share pictures, stories, experiences. If its truly about the culture and not e-peen recognition, not having a mode within a game won't stop you from your endeavor. Good luck!

I would agree 100% but that's the whole point. It's not possible to know whether someone is actually self-found, there is literally no way to know. That's why a mode/tag that legitimizes self-found is so sought after. You can't build a legitimized community around something that can't be proved in any way whatsoever. Not dropping any names, but we already have numerous 'self-found' people that are clearly lying, or are they? We don't actually know. That's the whole point.

The same would apply for Hardcore if it was self-imposed in Softcore. Anyone could claim their character has never died and there would be absolutely no way of knowing otherwise. Hence, we have a Hardcore mode, to legitimize that playstyle.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 11:18 PMPosted by Sogreth
If someone wants to brag and show off their "e-peen" then they can go buy a ps3. If they don't want to buy it, sucks to be them.

Again, playing the PS3 version =/= self-found. You can p2p locally with friends or go online to p2p trade. There would be nothing to signify a player hasn't traded (aka a self-found tag).
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 11:30 PMPosted by DamienJohn
You can't build a legitimized community around something that can't be proved in any way whatsoever.

Well, I could harp on that but its a banned subject on these forums. Lets just say they are huge communities with plenty of influence.

Simplest of solutions is setting a rule set somewhere on your forums. Only new characters at the time of signing up (and to go to an extreme, all gold given to a bank character. Probably someone's wife's or husband's account) , pictures of auction tab daily or weekly and must play in SF hosted games. Seems a bit restricting but the dedicated will follow through as we all seek other who have similar tastes. Any of the people who disagree to any of the rule sets are obviously just fotm types of people and don't belong in your culture. EZPZ

Then you can just wait on ladder and maybe that's where blizzard can give you your self found tags. No need to devote more time, money and manpower on a mode few will play.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 11:47 PMPosted by MammthWffle
pictures of auction tab daily or weekly and must play in SF hosted games.

again this would prove nothing. People can trade without the AH (p2p) and there's no way of knowing if and when someone is logging on to do so.

As I said there is literally no way to legitimize a self-found player unless Blizzard themself vets them (self-found tag) or to a greater extreme a self-found mode in which vetting isn't necessary. I'd personally like a tag instead of a mode as it doesn't divide the community so much and wouldn't require additional servers/upkeep. It would literally just be a script that gives a player some form distinction (a symbol, marker etc.) if they have only worn self-found gear.

EDIT: This is also Wyatt Cheng's proposed implementation of the idea. I personally think if we ever do see self-found it will be a tag not a separate mode.
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 7/1/2013 11:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

again this would prove nothing. People can trade without the AH (p2p) and there's no way of knowing if and when someone is logging on to do so.

As I said there is literally no way to legitimize a self-found player unless Blizzard themself vets them (self-found tag) or to a greater extreme a self-found mode in which vetting isn't necessary. I'd personally like a tag instead of a mode as it doesn't divide the community so much and wouldn't require additional servers/upkeep. It would literally just be a script that gives a player some form distinction (a symbol, marker etc.) if they have only worn self-found gear.

Screenshot friends list as well, pure stalker mode them. All for the sake of a legit community!
Reply Quote
What about the skill levels of the blacksmith and the jeweler? A true self-found character would need their levels to start at 1. Gold would also need to start at 0.
Reply Quote

Screenshot friends list as well, pure stalker mode them. All for the sake of a legit community!

That still wouldn't work, by your definition of it everyone would need to record/stream their entire play session to be verified. If anything It would need to be implemented somehow by Blizzard and involve a vetting process through the server. Like a page on the D3 site you go to to perform a check on your character and then you can post the result to the forum.
Reply Quote

That still wouldn't work, by your definition of it everyone would need to record/stream their entire play session to be verified. If anything It would need to be implemented somehow by Blizzard and involve a vetting process through the server. Like a page on the D3 site you go to to perform a check on your character and then you can post the result to the forum.

Well then that's just too bad then. All these "selfies" just need to man up. There is nothing special about them, oh wow, they waste more of their life on this game than the average person, good for them. All they want to do is be different.

Remember when "Emo" started awhile back? Yeah, it was because people wanted to be "different". There will be no mode for "self-found" Blizz actually has important and meaningful things to do, then make a mode for a very very VERY small portion of the community. Best they will get is some "tag", and until then, just play how you want to. Who gives a flying f*ck if someone lies about being "self-found", you're SELF-found, why the hell does it matter what anyone else has or does. You shouldn't be playing or even near any other people anyways.
Reply Quote
The self found mode is wanted and needed for obvious reasons.

oh just off the top of my head real quick as to the why...

....So that folks don't give into temptation or cheat a little. Also so that the haters, doubters, and other folks that like to complain, can s t f u already.

Kinda like hardcore, when you die there is no reviving yourself, you can't continue on and pretend that you didn't die.

A self found mode would make it legit and kills any nonsense debates or accusations of cheating.

Very simple. And most importantly very easily implemented.

Edit:fixed a grammar error

lol very easily implemented, All his reason are drivel. There is no legit reason for Blizzard to make a self found mode. Anyone can play self found today if they want to. Blizzard understands this. they should waste effort an time just because some self found guy is worried he might play with a guy not self found lol what a joke. In that case he grabs his loot never picks anything up thanks the guy for the carry an moves on still self found.
Edited by DeadRu#1893 on 7/2/2013 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The only way I'd support an entirely separate mode (self-found) is if everything that dropped was BOA, which prevented all trading in that mode. That is the one true way to make sure everything is self-found, but Blizz couldn't make any money off of that since there wouldn't be an AH.
Reply Quote
In addition, hardcore should be removed, cause any players that just want to play hardcore can simply remove their own heroes.

Still not finding any argument against self-found that doesn't apply to hardcore, eh?
Reply Quote
This has to be the funniest topic ever! lol I'm pretty sure this whole "self-found" idea was started by a very clever troll and very few people have figured out the punchline. As I understand it, players feel that they need a separate game mode to play without using the auction house so that they can have a special designation (look at me, look at me!!!) and an increased drop rate. Umm... I'd like to find better stuff too and I'm guessing that no player ever has said, "I sure wish I didn't find so much good stuff while playing this game. I wonder if Blizzard would nerf the drop rate...?" So, if you've been tricked into believing that the only way to play is "SF" then, quit complaining, and do it. You can't complain that the game isn't challenging enough and that the drop rate isn't good enough at the same time. If it was easy to find equipment rivaling the best on the AH, how would that be different than having access to the AH?!?!? Ridiculous. Thanks for the laugh; I too appreciate a successful troll. :P
Reply Quote
You don't need a la mode. Pie tastes better without ice cream.
Reply Quote
There are two groups of SF players. Ones who want a SF only mode that is just like the current game just without the AH. We call this group the insane people.

The other group wants a SF only mode with improved drops but with no AH so that the game plays a more natural progression. This is how they would implement SF if they were going to do it.

The game was designed around the AH, simply removing it would just leave a crappier version of the game.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 06:47 PMPosted by IAmOmegaRed
to play self found. You just only use self found haha. What's the big deal, do people need a measuring stick that bad that the game would institute a whole mode. Just craziness

I'm not sure why you think it's so crazy that "self-found" players want a game based on character progression to provide them with a system that legitimately recognizes their character progression. All things considered, a separate mode may not be the best way to accommodate that desire for recognition, but the desire itself is completely reasonable.

(Also, can we stop calling it "Self-Found" mode? That name is aesthetically horrible. How about we call it something that sounds less stupid and is also a more accurate description, like "BoA Mode". That is all.)
Edited by Hades#1850 on 7/2/2013 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 06:54 PMPosted by IAmOmegaRed
enlighten me. I.E why can't you just play self found under current format

Because I want to play online with other self-found characters. Playing self-found with AHers makes no sense at all.
Reply Quote
@Phobos229
Couldn't you make friends with other self-found characters and play with them? 95% of the time I play with the same core group of players; wouldn't this achieve the same goal?
It seems to me that a lot of people who say they want a "Self-found" mode aren't accurately stating their issue. I think that the real issue is competitive nature. For example, I want to be the best player but there are players who spend more than I'm willing to for equipment upgrades. They may not be "better" at the game but their heroes have better stats than mine because they spent more money. Personally, I'm ok with this (I'd rather not spend a lot of real money to buy pixels even if it means I'll never be the "best").
I don't understand why so many players who argue for a "self-found" mode care so much about what other players have and/or do. I often wonder how many posts would be created asking for the top player (luckiest gear finder) to be banned for cheating if Blizzard did make a SF mode...?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]