Diablo® III

CoB End-game Progression Guide

07/12/2013 09:07 AMPosted by hANNO
very nice post, but you are missing the two, absolutely most efficient build for high-end (MP10) solo play:

Hi hANNO, greetings and thanks for visiting from the EU side. In a previous post, I explained to KyKah that this guide is for new players to progress to clear MP10. You are posting something advanced, gearing towards aggressive style and efficiency.

Still a valid point, just as KyKah's post.

@ WD community,

Most probably Topic (6) will be dedicated to other players to bring our WD CoB style to the high-end gear and build configurations. Anyone interested and willing to share their experience kindly also explain the gear-build relationship and what sort of specific gear is required to support the style. If there are specific casting sequences or "reserve this skill in case this happens", do explain in your contribution also.

As several players have observed, I'm mostly using the Skorn. Therefore, 1-hander contributions will be especially helpful to this thread. Saying something like "use FA and time SW" is not good enough for new players, refer to Topic (2) to explain your approach and casting sequences, when and how to disengage and come back into the battle, etc. Video with time logs will be most helpful to viewers.
Reply Quote
Switching to Hysteria can help make this more workable, especially with a big 2 handed weapon. I had a hard time interrupting big hitters on MP10 with my DPS. Hysteria when I crit inflicts quite a lot more damage, which generally produces a stun where I wouldn't have had one before.

If Hysteria works best for you, use it as you please. I suggested MC for the extra damage to kill faster, that is together with the basic eHP/mitigation so that the player can hold ground and channel.

I don't see how Hysteria can help you to crit harder, maybe stunning the mobs in place help you to channel at max damage instead of getting interrupted by their attacks. Then it comes back to the available skills in the toolkit and the casting sequences (Topic 2).

My observation for the critical hits cancelling the animation is for Fallen Masters only. I did not specifically go to all the hard hitting mobs to see if their animation gets interrupted. If I remember correctly, sometimes (not always) Dark Berserkers get their winding hammers interrupted and fizzle off. I'm very sure Mallet Lords don't flinch from critical hits, they will just continue to pound their hammers. I do not think it is the magnitude of damage or any damage breakpoint that causes the Fallen Masters to flinch in pain. A simple test (if you are keen), is to purchase blue items with max CHC, go to Act 2 Oasis and test. Your DPS will be much lower, but you will crit very often.
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 08:49 AMPosted by Mitchoi
I just turned 60 and I've just started playing again after more than a year. Any suggestions on gear progression? I only have 2m to spend though :(

Your LoH Skorn is more suitable for Acid Rain / Rain of Toad build for MP0-3. If you want to go the CoB path, you'll need an LS Skorn.

You will also need the 4 piece Zuni set. High critical hit chance.

Since you do not have gold, you'll need to pick up the loot, and find the upgrades (unless some generous player decides to give you gear). Your best chance is to do runs with people. In the runs with people on my friend's list, 99% of the loot are salvaged, sold to vendor, or simply left on the ground. In a similar way, you can get basic items in proper order, just from doing group runs.

People are generally happy to give away mid-tier gear (capable of MP10 simple farming routes), but they want to give the gear to a genuine player, and not some AH flipper or someone that's going to quit (again) in 2 weeks.

Best advise - start making friends in game.
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 11:31 AMPosted by PaulNg
Video with time logs will be most helpful to viewers.

Here's a video compilation about 1hander vs Reflect Damage techniques. It does not have a log, cause it is streight forward elite after elite. If you like it you can add it to your guide:

Build:

There's nothing new here - it's a popular generic COB build variation a lot of WDs use:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#.dQUc!TYc!.cbac

For empty slots choose whatever you like, MC for monster debuff, hex for debuff+control etc. I use bears+widomakers combo because I like to have powerfull ranged skill in my arsenal. BBV will increase damage output vs multiply targets, for 1hander GI+GF+BR is perfect mana/hp/damage buff combination + cd reduction. Jaunt will increase your safetime against RD, Soul Harvest is too good to pass on for mitigation and dps buff. This build is good enough for farming and killing bosses, for ubers you may want to change it.

Gear:

Pretty standard one-hander setup: Zuni set, 1h, mojo with mana regen, some pickup radius helps too. SOJ can be used, but not necessary. Attack speed I use is 1.54-1.64, u can use more or less - depends on you gear and party. 500k EHP is viable, standard 4k armor/800 all resist/60k health recommended for mp10. If you die a lot and have trouble killing stuff - lower your mp.

Gameplay:

Video is pretty much self-explanatory, you have to rely on jaunt during first reflect phase, on health globes/health potions/trash mobs during the second reflect phase. It is not always working that way and you can have problems with some affixes at the beginning. It takes some practice, there is no "universal" tactic and no guarantee that you will never die , but it works most of the time if you pay attention.

Important note: don't try on hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7cttrXMeXI
Edited by KyKaH#2425 on 7/12/2013 2:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I haven't seen anyone ask, but what you think about Lacunni+Blackthorn VS CraftedBracers+Innas?

Also you reference 700 All res, but when I look at profiles I see 400-500AR. Is there some skill AR buff I missed?
Edited by Tranquility#1400 on 7/12/2013 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 08:21 PMPosted by Tranquility
I haven't seen anyone ask, but what you think about Lacunni+Blackthorn VS CraftedBracers+Innas?

From Topic (3), Common gearing traps are getting Vit on weapons, and IAS on chest/pants. Having IAS on chest/pants will severely reduce the defensive capabilities of those items. Where are you going to find the equivalent stats from other gear slots to make up for the defenses? Can you afford those items?

BJM pants can roll >300 Vit, 12% Life, and (Armor or AR). Inna's can roll 200 Vit, or [100 Vit and (Armor or AR)]. Hope it doesn't look confusing, but the summary is, if you want to go "offensive" on a pants slot, then you must be rich enough to buy other gear pieces to balance up the lack of eHP/mitigation.

Let's consider 3 pairs -
1) Lacuni and BJM
2) Lacuni and rare pants
3) Crafted bracer and Inna's pants

(1) is the cheapest, and best for defense, but lowest DPS
(2) is in between (1) & (3) for defense and DPS, but high-end rare pants cost a lot more than BJM
(3) is has the highest potential for DPS, and usually cost the most, unless you got lucky with crafting

If you're on a budget, choose Lacuni and BJM.

07/12/2013 08:21 PMPosted by Tranquility
Also you reference 700 All res, but when I look at profiles I see 400-500AR.

Usually, WDs playing at MP10 have > 3000 Intel. That's the missing 300AR you do not see on the profiles. My recommended 700 AR is unbuffed, with Skorn as the weapon choice. If you choose the 1H path, you have half the lifesteal and will need much higher mitigation.
Reply Quote
Video is pretty much self-explanatory, you have to rely on jaunt during first reflect phase, on health globes/health potions/trash mobs during the second reflect phase. It is not always working that way and you can have problems with some affixes at the beginning. It takes some practice, there is no "universal" tactic and no guarantee that you will never die , but it works most of the time if you pay attention.

Thanks for the video, good compilation. Do you have one video against SB, that guy's reflect is "always on", so the fighting may need to engage/disengage, or need to use FA?
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 11:31 PMPosted by PaulNg
. Do you have one video against SB, that guy's reflect is "always on", so the fighting may need to engage/disengage, or need to use FA?

Playing solo with this exact set-up requires engage disengage as you will loose health while damaging. I would not recommend farming SB solo with this setup, but if you want to you can use leeching beasts as best option for engage/disengage tactic. If you are not a fan of changing specs and loosing stacks for specifc bosses you can use shiled or just switch to cheapo skorn for that matter. Anyway farming SB is out of my video scope and a whole effective farming concept.
Edited by KyKaH#2425 on 7/13/2013 2:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Expanded Topic (2) - techniques and casting sequences to handle Act 4, with video and log.

Added Topic (5) - Miscellaneous Videos.

Opening Topic (6) to the community to share their "best practice". Speed farm builds & 1Handers dealing with Reflect Damage [with acknowledgements] will be added to Topic (6). Other builds or concepts related to CoB are also appreciated.
Reply Quote
PaulNg can you post your build you used to facetank belial and if its not too much trouble the profile too?
Reply Quote
07/13/2013 04:32 PMPosted by Nondescript
PaulNg can you post your build you used to facetank belial and if its not too much trouble the profile too?

Sure, here you go, extracted from Topic (2).

When I was doing research on Skorns, I had 7 in my stash, DPS ranging from 1074 to 1397. To my surprise and amazement, I discovered that all the Intel + LS + Skorn listed on the AH are end-game quality!

Video proof - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciy4hqjQj1Y

Profile used - http://d3up.com/b/810671/wd-skorn-1074-dps-ah-lowest-dps

In my video, you can see that I brought in my Scoundrel, so the CHC is 51% not 48%. When taking rapid in-coming damage, it's essential to crit often. Didn't move for all 7 of those Skorns tested. It's probably best if you go with the flow of the guide, it will give you a clear understanding of the various concepts.
Edited by PaulNg#6869 on 7/13/2013 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry, I must be looking at a different video. I was looking at the 38 sec kill with a SOJ,it looks like you are using final gift with provoke the pack. Can you by chance provide a link for that one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc7colH2iXM&feature=youtube

I am not sure where I got the video now as I thought I got it from section 2
Reply Quote
it looks like you are using final gift with provoke the pack. Can you by chance provide a link for that one?

Didn't save a link, it's my current gears, with the rare ring being swapped out for a 6/30/-6FB SoJ. About 187.5k DPS unbuffed. The SoJ lowers the CHC, but the BBV increases the APS, so we can still get 1 critical tick per sec easily, which helps with the survival. APS of 1.17 becomes 1.37 from BBV, exactly the breakpoint of equivalent 5 pieces of IAS gearing. If you had 3 pieces of IAS gear, the buffed APS will need BR passive, and by removing JF or SV, chances are you'd die. If you push up the IAS but do not use the BR passive, you'd go OOM and need to recast and ramp up the damage all over, losing the snapshot of the initial set up. This set up is optimal already, the only way to improve is by adding Intel and +average damage on gear, and that final 0.5% CHC which I'm missing. I didn't manage to get many globes from the 6 dogs (sacrifice 2 times), a hybrid C4 or group play will be more effective, but for solo play and my lower DPS, you can say that the leverage is pushed to the limit already. I think good playing is about the effective use of skills, and not a ranking WD shooting off poison darts.

SW-HG
summon-final gift
sacrifice-provoke
BBV-SD
Horrify-FA
CoB

JF, SV, GF passives.
Reply Quote
This is the best guide I've seen done for any class. Very well done.
Reply Quote
Thanks PaulNg. I tried that setup except JF for PtV, did not work out well because of a lack of health globes produced as you pointed out. I have been trying a number gears/builds but most resulted in 3.5 mil crits and death at half life. I just tried the one you linked to first in section 2 and got my damage way up to above 4 mil crits (with PtV, SV, SA, SOJ).

On a side note have you thought of trying a sleet storm wizard build with your skorn? You can transfer most of your equipment over and probably get similar DPS output to your COB if not more. Get yourself a 10 APoC stormcrow and you are good to go.
Reply Quote
07/13/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Moridin
This is the best guide I've seen done for any class. Very well done.

Thanks. I appreciate everyone who bothers to read the details of my guide.

07/13/2013 07:55 PMPosted by Nondescript
On a side note have you thought of trying a sleet storm wizard build with your skorn?

My ambition for Wiz, DH, Barb is simple, clear the game at MP0 with self-found and self-crafted gear. Most of my WD and Monk gears are bought, not transferable in that sense. If you find insights from this CoB guide to tweak your Wiz nicely, good for you. I don't know anything about that class, but will venture to the other 3 classes when my research is completed here (1H path is next to expand on Topic 4 and help with Topic 6).

07/13/2013 07:55 PMPosted by Nondescript
I just tried the one you linked to first in section 2 and got my damage way up to above 4 mil crits (with PtV, SV, SA, SOJ).

In its current form, PtV is very hard to manage and hardly worth it, unless you can kill your target before you go OOM. Also, PtV + BBV is just going to eat up the mana real fast. The Ghom fight was done with PtV because there was no need to use both JF and SV, opening up 1 spare passive slot to help with the mana. Belial's poison explosions is like standing right in the arcane beam epicentre (fortunately doesn't last as long as the arcane rotation), we need SV in that battle. I got lucky in that video, most of my fights trigger off SV.
Reply Quote
Thank you and everyone who helped,
I suspected, but now I know, snap shot sheet DPS and attack speed is important.
Reply Quote
this is such a good guide , helped me alot , deserves a bump
Reply Quote
Hey Paul, I was looking through your topic and I was looking for a clear outline of the 2h (axe) breakpoint mechanics and how many times COB ticks per second at each breakpoint. The reason is, I want to know if running Inna's pants would put me at a higher dps than my sheet dps shows. I did some testing in mp10 and my survivability wasn't bad with a str/int pair of innas pants, I just want to know how much better it is.

Reply Quote
07/15/2013 09:42 PMPosted by Amiar
I want to know if running Inna's pants would put me at a higher dps than my sheet dps shows. I did some testing in mp10 and my survivability wasn't bad with a str/int pair of innas pants, I just want to know how much better it is.

Special thanks to Nubtro, for excellent research work on the mechanics of CoB:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796451628?page=7#121

He tabulated the following breakpoints-

aps - frames per tick - frequency - channeling cost per sec –
0.90000-0.90909 aps - 33 frames - 1.82 ticks - 60 mana
0.90910-0.93750 aps - 32 frames - 1.88 ticks - 62 mana
0.93751-0.96774 aps - 31 frames - 1.94 ticks - 64 mana
0.96775-1.00000 aps - 30 frames - 2.00 ticks - 66 mana
1.00001-1.03448 aps - 29 frames - 2.07 ticks - 69 mana
1.03449-1.07142 aps - 28 frames - 2.14 ticks - 71 mana
1.07143-1.11111 aps - 27 frames - 2.22 ticks - 74 mana
1.11112-1.15384 aps - 26 frames - 2.31 ticks - 77 mana
1.15385-1.20000 aps - 25 frames - 2.40 ticks - 80 mana
1.20001-1.25000 aps - 24 frames - 2.50 ticks - 83 mana
1.25001-1.30434 aps - 23 frames - 2.61 ticks - 87 mana
1.30435-1.36363 aps - 22 frames - 2.73 ticks - 90 mana

Your profile has 1.09 APS. The APS breakpoints near to your current set up are 1.04, 1.08, 1.12, 1.16, 1.21.

If you add Inna's pants, you'll be within the 1.16 - 1.20 APS bracket, doing 2.4 ticks per sec, and you need 80 mana per sec.

Within that bracket, 1.17 APS is optimal (means you need 1 piece of 9% IAS, and 1 piece of 8% IAS). Gearing for 1.16 APS is cheaper and falls within the same APS bracket, but 1.17 APS is optimal because of the BBV buff. APS of 1.17 becomes 1.37 from BBV, exactly the breakpoint of equivalent 5 pieces of IAS gearing.

In other words, BBV helps 1.17 APS (2 pieces of IAS gears) to effectively become 1.37 APS (5 pieces of IAS gears). If you only geared for 1.16 APS (2 pieces of IAS gears), BBV brings you up to 1.36 APS (effectively 4 pieces of IAS gears). The impact of the buff will be 1 bracket lower.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]