Diablo® III

Fix the Flee Range on Champion/Elites

The most notable culprit is the Wretched Cadaver enemies in Act 1. These elites are able to spawn endless garbage enemies and will continually run out of range. They seem to have no limit to how far they will flee. They will engage for a few seconds and then run away and repeat the pattern, sometimes they will run away and only let you get in a single attack before running again. I have literally chased these mobs across the entire game map on several occasions and the versions that spawn with Fast, Knockback, Teleport, Shielding, or Extra Health are especially annoying.

The fast versions are nearly impossible to chase down right away. The knockback enemies can hit you once completely negating your progress to engage them and slow you down so you cannot re-engage again. The teleporting ones will not only run away but also teleport away, often in succession. The shielding mobs will prevent you from doing anything to them at all for several seconds, giving them adequate time to flee several times. And the Extra Health ones are just annoying because it takes twice as long to kill them and it can take upwards of 10-15 minutes to chase down an entire pack of these when they split up and head off everywhere.

There are a few other mobs that do this in later Acts, but often the environment aids you in chasing them down or forcing them to double back to you. In the Weeping Hollow area these enemies can traverse the entire game map without any obstruction. As I often use the elites there to build up stacks of NV for Keywarden runs, it has become a glaring problem.

One solution I would suggest is to give them a fixed "Flee Radius" of say 100 yards. Meaning that the enemy will go, at most, 100 yards away from their starting position before being forced to return back toward their starting point. Using their spawn in location as the center make it possible for the mob to flee anywhere within a circle with a radius of 100 yards. How they move and when they move is fine, but if they simply had a limit on how far away they could flee it would solve so many issues and still make them a "challenge".
Edited by Chessie#1801 on 7/3/2013 6:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
dont chase keep going clearing other mobs
Reply Quote
Make more mobs act in an intelligent way, don't get rid of the few that already do.
Reply Quote
The most notable culprit is the Wretched Cadaver enemies in Act 1. These elites are able to spawn endless garbage enemies and will continually run out of range. They seem to have no limit to how far they will flee. They will engage for a few seconds and then run away and repeat the pattern, sometimes they will run away and only let you get in a single attack before running again.

I got an 888 monster kill-streak in Weeping Hollow because of those wretched cadavers, I think bloodclan occultist are the worst, because they shield everything and each other and then run away. Fact is you need to start using butcher's sickle or ancient spear barb skill
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 08:06 AMPosted by M3zito
dont chase keep going clearing other mobs

I am trying to get NV stacks, clearing the garbage is a waste of time.

07/03/2013 10:35 AMPosted by grovak
I got an 888 monster kill-streak in Weeping Hollow because of those wretched cadavers, I think bloodclan occultist are the worst, because they shield everything and each other and then run away. Fact is you need to start using butcher's sickle or ancient spear barb skill

You can get a good kill streak, but I would rather be able to just get the kill and be done with it.

I don't see why you need to use a specific weapon or skill in order to beat an enemy. Running away is fine, I appreciate it as a tactic, but there should be a limit to it. I mean elites can't just endlessly spawn arcane enchanters one after another or throw up stone walls as much as they want, those skills have cooldowns. All I really want is to limit how far they run away, I don't care that they run away but they should just turn around and keep the distance reasonable. It isn't like there is a skill that has a 100 yd radius and you can cheat the system by filling the whole area with attacks that will kill them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]