Diablo® III

A Major Flaw in D3 that goes unanswered

Why do we have to wait "10 seconds" if the game crashes/disconnects?

If I recall correctly, the official word was to prevent people from abusing Alt F4. Why? Why would blizzard care. If someone is abusing alt f4, they will get what they deserve down the line. They wouldn't get much loot, much exp, and would eventually realize they aren't strong enough for whatever they are doing.

Honestly, the 10 seconds wouldn't be that bad if it actually was 10 seconds. Some people have done research, numbers have been thrown around, but it is not 10 seconds from a dc to when your character leaves the world. Most of the numbers I have heard of are 20-50 seconds.

I have been playing a different game that loves to crash. But, I keep on living because it instant boots. I have lost more characters in that game than in 1200 hours of d3, and thats KNOWING that I have the option to alt f4. Yes, I suck at said game, but typically when things go down hill, first reaction is to regain control.

It would be nice to hear an explanation other than to prevent the 1% of players from abusing alt f4. This is typical mass punishment, and it drives people from enjoying playing Diablo 3 hardcore. I can only do a run or two at a time on my monk, it's gone almost 300 hours without dying, but everytime I am on it, I have the nagging in the back of my head "DC is coming for you..."
Reply Quote
View profile
you know i honestly agree with you. i too have been playing a game that instant kicks (van helsing). haha ive never used it or thought to. i die and its mildly sad, but i put on my big boy pants and make a new character.

any kin of person that would actually alt+f4 is most likely terrible at hardcore games anyway, the same kind of person that puts their new character straight on the mastercard.

in the last 600 hours of playing WD, i have died only once, to disconnect. i like to think im completely in control, and yet i log less and less hours than ever, because like you, its in the back of my mind. "today is the day you disconnect and disappear forever".

its what happens to arguably their biggest fans, people i meet in hardcore LOVE diablo 3. they are the ones sinking over 1000 hours into one game (im at 1600 myself), and yet it is only a matter of time, with a mile on their face, blizz tells you to go !@#$ yourself :)
Reply Quote
we want change!
Reply Quote
Too many people would abuse it

That being said there is no excuse for taking 30 seconds or more to even recognize a disconnect and start the time.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 07:30 AMPosted by Fury
Too many people would abuse it

This is the general consensus. But I do wonder what type of impact this would actually have. I have played numerous games that allowed it (D2, PoE, TL2) and I don't recall ever noticing a negative impact from it being allowed in the game.

Some would say that it would make deaths non-existent and the economy suffer since less people dieing = less gear being removed from the game. But I don't believe that would actually happen. With the current setup, a lot of people gear far more defensive to be "D/C proof" and play that game much safer. If they did not have to worry about death from a D/C they would likely play a bit more aggressive and you may actually see more deaths. People die all the time in the other games that allow it.

I doubt it'll ever be removed though. So the main thing to hope for would be for faster recognition that you are no longer communicating with the server to start the 10-second timer. Of the 3 D/C's I have experienced since launch (rarely happens, knock on wood), one of them took almost a full minute before my character was removed from the game. I had to sit helplessly in skype while my friend kept me informed on the current status of my character's health.
Reply Quote
It would probably help bots MUCH more than it'd help any of us.

A bot can more or less instantaneously do an alt-f4 command, while it'd take us like a half a second to react and reach the keys.
Reply Quote
Bots. That is the 100% answer why.
Reply Quote
first of all, I have been playing hc for atleast 500 hours and no DC death, nor has my RL friend who has 1200 hours has had one either. Alt f4 would be massively abuses not 1% but over 50% of the player population. Did you ever play d2? cmon. Second your numbers are terribly wrong, I have seen people booted out of the game in less than 3 seconds of a true DC, not 40 or 50 w/e. The big issue is when your client lags the server doesn't boot you. you can laggd out for 20 secs, get error screens etc. the servers only boot when a true disconnection has been established.
Reply Quote
This has been discussed again and again.^^

Disregarding bots, wasn't there a mod for D2 that would auto disconnect you if your life fell under a specific threshold?
Not a good idea to remove the 10sek timer.

I haven't played as much as some here, but I also have never ever experienced a DC. To me the 10sek timer is a feature not a flaw. Then again his is hardcore, not fluffy mode.
Edited by tsu#1245 on 7/1/2013 8:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It was really nice when we had a window without these ignorant posts.

The problem in the game is not the 10 second timer. It is the 45 seconds for the game to recognize a DC has happened

the 10 second timer is critical to prevent cheating like the D2 chicken hack. It also prevents alt-f4ing. 10 seconds of wait time is nothing, its standing idle for 4 times as long waiting for the timer to start
Reply Quote
Well it has happened to me twice now, and it really gives me described feeling of foreboding, I dont really want to play my main char any more, cuz even that one wont survive a dc.

I want to be able to tune my riscs, not to be the winner of a death lottery.

And: If it is vital to prevent cheating, why does it have to be 10s? not 3 or 4? And as said before, why does it take the server so long to recognize the dc until it counts you down?

To prevent people from abusing alt f4 a TRUE 4 s delay would be sufficient. Not everyone would survive these either, but a LOT more would.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 07:52 AMPosted by Dead
first of all, I have been playing hc for atleast 500 hours and no DC death, nor has my RL friend who has 1200 hours has had one either. Alt f4 would be massively abuses not 1% but over 50% of the player population. Did you ever play d2? cmon. Second your numbers are terribly wrong, I have seen people booted out of the game in less than 3 seconds of a true DC, not 40 or 50 w/e. The big issue is when your client lags the server doesn't boot you. you can laggd out for 20 secs, get error screens etc. the servers only boot when a true disconnection has been established.

So, because it never has happened to you, the problem doesn't exist?

Ive lost at least 2 characters to dc, 2 to game crash. My friends have lost 2-4+ characters each from the "10 second limbo that is really 45 seconds in the wild".

You can see from my profile, I've killed a lot of monks. Its half and half from me being stupid to game crashes/dc. I know 1 of them would of lived if the game kicked you out of the wild at 10 seconds,
Reply Quote

I second this, I have never died due to a d/c. If people are dying from a d/c I would imagine it is more often than not from their end not Blizzard, otherwise EVERYONE would d/c not just your computer. I doubt their servers just randomly d/c a computer here and there. I could be wrong, but if my novice understanding of servers are correct, unless everyone d/c and goes down it is typically on the clients end.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 hardcore isn't even a challenge anymore, it's all about surviving DC now. When I realized that, I kind of stopped playing Diablo 3. I wish I could build a glass cannon character and play solo as well, but I'll just die to DC within the first 15 paragon levels knowing my Aussie Internet.

If it weren't for this stand in a spot for 40 seconds on DC thing, I would easily have 5x paragon 100 by now since I don't always have to play in a group, build for more DPS, and invest more gear into my characters knowing that they wouldn't just die to DC.
Reply Quote
Well it has happened to me twice now, and it really gives me described feeling of foreboding, I dont really want to play my main char any more, cuz even that one wont survive a dc.

I want to be able to tune my riscs, not to be the winner of a death lottery.

And: If it is vital to prevent cheating, why does it have to be 10s? not 3 or 4? And as said before, why does it take the server so long to recognize the dc until it counts you down?

To prevent people from abusing alt f4 a TRUE 4 s delay would be sufficient. Not everyone would survive these either, but a LOT more would.

I have a solution for you. There is no shame to play softcore. If you are that afraid to play your character, that you wont even play it, then just play softcore. It is fun still; I do it occasionally.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 hardcore isn't even a challenge anymore, it's all about surviving DC now. When I realized that, I kind of stopped playing Diablo 3. I wish I could build a glass cannon character and play solo as well, but I'll just die to DC within the first 15 paragon levels knowing my Aussie Internet.

If it weren't for this stand in a spot for 40 seconds on DC thing, I would easily have 5x paragon 100 by now since I don't always have to play in a group, build for more DPS, and invest more gear into my characters knowing that they wouldn't just die to DC.

I don't know. I find mp4 and higher very challenging. I agree if you only play mp1 act1 only as I see many people do.
Reply Quote
Why can't this be implemented?

1)In a solo game, the moment the server doesn't detect connection, pause the game.
2)You have 5 minutes to regain connection.
a) if connection re-established, player can resume game or force a 10 sec in game countdown
b) if no connection, start 10 sec countdown

I am sure they have thought of this. I don't know what prevents them from implementing it.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 04:29 PMPosted by KillerMagoo
I don't know. I find mp4 and higher very challenging. I agree if you only play mp1 act1 only as I see many people do.

Wrong, I usually farm on MP4. I can't stand playing below MP3 because it's difficult to keep up Wrath of the Beserker permanently on such a low MP level because everything dies too quick.
Reply Quote
Did you know that if your client freezes, or your internet suddently becomes hopelessly laggy, you can pull your internet plug and it will force-initiate the 10-second timer in case it hadn't already. True story.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 07:39 PMPosted by Snoo
Did you know that if your client freezes, or your internet suddently becomes hopelessly laggy, you can pull your internet plug and it will force-initiate the 10-second timer in case it hadn't already. True story.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I think Blizzard server has a service that "asks" if you are still connected. Your luck hitting this "check" is what I believe determines how fast the 10 seconds starts.

If your internet is unplugged there is no way for you to send packets to blizzard saying you are leaving the game.
Edited by FatZero#1910 on 7/1/2013 7:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]