Diablo® III

Echoing Fury is Infuriating

I can't stand the fear on Echoing Fury, it always makes them split up which is more often than not a bad thing, especially when it's something that is annoying to deal with from a distance like a wasp. Unfortunately the weapon itself is too good for me to give-up as it is extremely cost effective thanks to the +0.24 attacks per second that it gives; I cannot get a viable alternative for a weapon.

Anyone else get really annoyed by the fear procs, and any ideas as to what it could be changed to?
Reply Quote
there is something that you have to give it a flaw . or it will be too good .
Reply Quote
I hate EF too just for that reason. I don't play this game to be frustrated by mobs constantly running away and having to spend time chasing them. It's not fun and detracts from gameplay a lot.

I wish they'd just remove it.
Reply Quote
I'm tired of this topic. Go look at some of the unique's affixes from Diablo 1 and then come back and tell me that Fear is a horrible affix. Also, remember that + Light Radius draws more monsters in Diablo.

Sometimes there are drawbacks to having other godly affixes.
Reply Quote
31 Dwarf Warrior
Get a +cold damage stone of jordan
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 07:02 AMPosted by Vonkar
Get a +cold damage stone of jordan

I was quite disappointed months ago when I tried this. Not what people made it out to be.

Ditch the EF.....it causes longer battles and wastes time. Don't think that losing a nominal amount of Damage Per Second will hurt you. The amount of time spent trying to wrangle up 'fear' affected monsters betrays any added DPS from EF. i.e. You're better off doing less DPS and not having them run away.
Reply Quote
Use it in your offhand and you'll probably barely notice the proc.
Reply Quote
I have to agree. I was playing in a group last night and a monk was using one. I got so tired of having to chase down enemies he was constantly fearing away.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 06:59 AMPosted by ZaphodB42
Also, remember that + Light Radius draws more monsters in Diablo.

If you are talking D2.. I never knew that.. Bring that stuff back. NOW.. In fact I want so much light radius that I can make feared monsters run to me!!!

07/03/2013 06:54 AMPosted by Coffeebar
I really don't get this entire line of thinking. Using the EF as an example, why not make more weapons (so we have more choices) of similar power, then get rid of the flaws, then introduce more interesting affixes for variety? It will be too good? That just makes no sense.. But then I have the idea to improve everything.. There is nothing that cannot be improved.

You want to leave a flaw on the EF? Then reduce the fear down to a max of say 5-10%.You and I may know better than to use one with 25% but there is always someone else who doesn't and it merely creates problems for everyone else. Or they use it in the wrong way.
Reply Quote
I don't think the fear was originally designed as a flaw, they just tuned the game so poorly that having a mob not in melee with you is now a bad thing.
Reply Quote
has it not occurred to you that they designed it this way for a reason?

if we're going to ask for changes simply because something is inconvenient, then why not ask for 6 passive slots or weapons that always roll +main stat, sockets, crit damage and life steal?

if you don't like the fear proc, the answer is simple: don't use it. no one's forcing you to.
Reply Quote
Yea it's the worst weapon in the game in my opinion.
It breaks what everyone try to build, namely control.
It's even worse than knockback skills and everyone and their barbarian uses one :-(
Reply Quote
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned it yet, but the Fear on a EF can be somewhat mitigated given the right circumstances, i.e; through skills and cc effects on gear.

I use an EF on my Monk and never really have issues outside of those burrowing leapers purely because they are so fast. A few tips I can give;

-Equip it in your off-hand, it will proc less.
-Use it to "herd" elites into an object or wall so they can't run away.
-Mitigate the effect with cold damage or skills such as Cyclone Strike/ Stun skills.

And the absolute best thing you can do is to team up with a permafreeze wizard or stun DH as you won't even need to worry about the Fear. If you are playing solo, gear your Scoundrel with CC weapons like a Buriza-Do Kyanon or a Hellrack with a cold SoJ.
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 7/3/2013 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I actually enjoy the fear procs on my Archon Wizard. It is nice to see monsters run away to their death because that means they aren't tagging me with damage. For the melee classes and classes that require monsters in close proximity, it is really annoying.
Reply Quote
Sure, it's np for a monk with thunderclap. For the monk that is, but who cares about what the others do, right?
And yea, with a perpetual freeze or other heavy cc it's a good damage boost and thus fortifies the need for absolute cc support.

Synergically, it's by far the worst addition to the game.
And I bet you lose dps from it even if you have a nice build for it.
Gathering up mobs and finishing them with strong aoe in large clusters is superior to any other form of grinding, no matter how high your single dps is.

On ubers or bosses that don't run, ef is an excellent weapon however.

Too bad there's no weapon switch, if there were we could actually even use the fear sometimes on normal mobs as it is favorable under very certain circumstances defensively.
Reply Quote
Unfortunately, the only way to best an EF is if you get 2 rare 1.2 speed weapons with 1,200+ dps. EF and Skorn are way to easy to come by with high DPS and with CC+Socket. In fact, 2 maces with enough strength on each can nearly match a skorns damage, unless the skorn has 500+ str of course.
Reply Quote
I read this godly mace droped in eu the other day. They got 1k or something for it and it resold for 2500€.
Supposedly, it's more valuable than that since it had everything.
But popular demand doesn't see it like that I guess...
Reply Quote
Don't use Echoing Fury on melee characters. You'll certainly appreciate the fear proc if you're playing a class that doesn't have innate 30% damage reduction.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 06:54 AMPosted by Coffeebar

the only problem here is, it was never "meant" to be a flaw ... which yeah ... is frustrating to say that.

A few abilities are rather a problem then really helpfull. Fear on hit is one of them. Knockback the other ... particularly for meele characters. I can see those skills to be somewhat helpfull for ranged characters. But Monks and Barbs really have not much use for those traits. For example, I would love to see ALL kinds of knockback dissapear from Barb skills, what we need is the OPPOSITE of knockbback, give some of the skills a form of Vortex that works after 1-2 seconds, this would help us so much against ranged or kiting characters like shamans and succubus. Knocking them back when you hit them? Thats more of a help for them ...

07/03/2013 09:28 AMPosted by ISmkPotatoes
Unfortunately, the only way to best an EF is if you get 2 rare 1.2 speed weapons with 1,200+ dps. EF and Skorn are way to easy to come by with high DPS and with CC+Socket. In fact, 2 maces with enough strength on each can nearly match a skorns damage, unless the skorn has 500+ str of course.

two hand weapons suck big time in this game anyway. Thx to this super simple item and skill system where a lot of the skills and resources depend rather on attack speed then anything else, which makes twohand weapons quite often less usefull compared to dual wield, which gives you a flat out +15% more attack speed ... the only good twohand weapon is a Skorn with awesome stats. And even here its very difficult to get any kind of LL and you will always feel cripled because you lack attack speed.
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 7/3/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]