Diablo® III

I tried Pile-On build.. but I dont' like it.

for Zombie Wall you can only do that rune. The range is too narrow. The pillar comes out too slow. It misses really close melee mobs. How do you guys do your pile-on build? May be I am missing something.
Reply Quote
I think you're missing the part that no one plays a pile on build...iirc.
Reply Quote
You can control the distance away from you that pile on starts, clicking on the ground (or a monster) away from your witch doctor will start the pile on from that location. If you click at the feet of your witch doctor, the pile on will start there and hit anything within melee range.

The width of pile on is indeed incredibly small, this forces you to manipulate the shape of the monster pack to regain some efficiency. You won't ever hit the entire pack at once though so you'll have to accept the process of whittling each pack away.

Things you can do to compact a pack into a smaller area:
Move away from the pack, most monsters will take the most direct path to you and moving away helps create a point where monsters will converge into the aoe of your pile on. Terrain can be used to enhance this effect, moving away through doorways, tight corridors and around corners and islands.
This will also help in situations where monsters like to circle behind you, the more you can keep everything in one direction, the easier it is to land pile on.

Grasp of the dead will compact a monster pack a little differently. As monsters approach you and enter the slow field, monsters behind will catch up providing you a tighter build up of monsters to aoe down. This method doesn't solve the problem of the width of pile on. Use of GotD is optional.

Using an interference line helps achieve this a little differently. Pets and followers will draw aggression, the natural spread of this interference line will often allow you to use pile on like a lawnmower, mowing down monsters across the face of your interference line. If they don't die immediately (depends on your dps an mp setting) they will bunch up with repetitive knockbacks as you move forward, effectively allowing you to make the most of the tight width of pile on. Use of pets is also optional.

--

As for handling the delay, use of crowd control skills will help hold monsters still long enough to land your pile on. With enough practice this becomes less of a need as you learn to predict monster movement patterns, though they will always remain useful.

Interference by pets and followers drawing aggression also functions as pseudo crowd control as monsters attacking your pets and followers are monsters not moving and so are much easier to hit.

--

Should you choose to persist using pile on, address being able to hit monsters in melee range as your first priority or you will be wasting your time getting further frustrated.
Reply Quote
I agree with everything above. It's tough at first, but I've been using that build for so long I don't even notice those things anymore. The way I aim, the way I move is all just automatic now. The key is to use spirit walk/soul harvest to run through crowds, buff your int (i use languish to slow them as well), and position yourself to force them into a corner. For the stragglers that you may miss, that's when you hit hex and turn them into a pig/chicken while you destroy the mob. The stragglers can typically hack away at you if they'd like, having any life steal on your weapon ensures you're constantly getting health back from the zombies hitting.

One of the toughest obstacles with the build is mana generation, but I have to say since switching to devouring locusts/honored guest/SA, I NEVER run out of mana anymore. Better yet, I don't have to stop every once in a while to throw spiders or a pyrogeist for VQ, which breaks the spamming of zombies, potentially letting mobs escape.

@Surijak
Highly recommend you experiment with locusts/honored guest. The difference in mana regen isn't huge, but hot having to toss spiders made a big difference I think. Fun to mess with at least.
Reply Quote
eindacor you are a boss. sticking with a non band wagon build like that....
Reply Quote
anyone wanna see how I do mp10 with 0pileon can add me.
my gear is currently on my enchantress.

I use a wall TotD mojo.
It's a range attack build.
high attack speed is needed. Mana refill from spider pots.
Knockback is ur friend
Best with LS echoing fury, with high fear.

when to use this?
Best when you are in a range attack group...
for example, with some bell monk knocking back everything...
with archon wiz,
with DH, especially those carrying windforce..

good about this build: gear is cheap, fun to play with
bad about this build: gear resell value is low. you cannot kill as fast as firebat builds.
Reply Quote
Pile on is fun but the mana cost is a bit too high.

Spend some time casting it in town so you get a feel for the spell.
Edited by Swampdonkey#1153 on 7/1/2013 4:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 03:15 PMPosted by blackjack

haha, thanks. i really like niche builds. nothing against the more popular builds, but i like playing things a little unconventionally. powerful as hell too, i still think a lot of people underestimate how effective it really is even at high MP
Edited by EindacorDS#1385 on 7/1/2013 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 04:17 PMPosted by EindacorDS
haha, thanks. i really like niche builds. nothing against the more popular builds, but i like playing things a little unconventionally. powerful as hell too, i still think a lot of people underestimate how effective it really is even at high MP

Pile On is equivalent to 1 channel of CoB with no damage increase...and it's on a 10 second cooldown.

what am i missing here?
Reply Quote
are u missing the 10 sec cooldown reduction gear?

07/01/2013 06:11 PMPosted by Viss

Pile On is equivalent to 1 channel of CoB with no damage increase...and it's on a 10 second cooldown.

what am i missing here?
Reply Quote
@Surijak
Highly recommend you experiment with locusts/honored guest. The difference in mana regen isn't huge, but hot having to toss spiders made a big difference I think. Fun to mess with at least.

Yeah I've done it, but that's a different build. I know I've got +locusts on the helm (I specifically went after +locusts when I bought it) but I can't just slot it in to the current build shown without ramifications.

I need to consider my interference line, crowd control, the loss of control over the aggression radius that I pull and what I'm going to burn all that extra mana on because pile on isn't it. :)
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 04:17 PMPosted by EindacorDS

i still think a lot of people underestimate how effective it really is even at high MP

it's too boring at mp9-10 fighting elite packs. but it's a very fun build. i remember my partymate laughing at how the zombies pile up just to tumble down at the enemies. i hope they tweak a bit of its blast radius since it's too small.
Reply Quote
^ yeah, i tried a zero pile on build...but it is hard to hit enemies, especially those that move.

Still a fun build though, but not efficient at higher mp (ie., > mp8)
Reply Quote
@Luffy - how much do you want for that soj

Somewhat ironically, the one skill you really want for this build is wall of zombies - barricade. Since that isnt possible, here are some tips:

One thing that really helps this build is what zones you play. You will do much better in keep depth or vault of the assassin than you will in oasis or fields of misery (for example).

If you solo alot, you can look into a Buriza-Do Kyanon for your scoundral. If you group more, cyclone monks or cm wizards are helpful.

I think some form of zombie dogs is required for pile on builds. There are alot of options, but i tend to like circle of life best since i have alot of pur from thing of the deep. I also like desperate grasp - death is life for this build, especially if you run gruesome feast. It takes some time to learn how to place it though.

Dont forget that pile-on triggers fetish sycophants, which can be rather useful/amusing if you have enough attack speed.

I play pile on a good amount, feel free to add me/ look at my setup for some ideas.
Edited by nematoad#1358 on 7/2/2013 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
wanna upgrade because of the extra 1% dmg?
I bought it at 15mil....very cheap... (I got a perfect dart soj at 80k gold :P )
I probably wanna keep it for now just for fun...
If I wanna sell, i probably sell all in a set...
you can keep looking and it's not difficult to find.. (well, comparing you other wall components, soj is too easy to get)

The cold dmg doesn't proc as I remember.

I tried sycophants.... well, only fun at low mp.
I do mp 10 with lifelink dogs... I use ptv to max out dps and use spider for mana refill.
Locust is a better way to go on those high density mob area..

Monks may be ok... cm wiz mostly will complain about knockbacks.

This build definitely take advantage with attack spd..the higher AS, the better.
Also, I use fear to drive mobs away....I would definitely use a high fear LS echoing fury if I had one.... this is a range build. Of course, I use frog mojo and the range kill will reduce my skill cooldown period... so just do spirit walk, fear....lifesteal from crazy pileon crits....
that's the idea what i do with this build.

BTW, off topic... I found that barb is awesome for range attacks..... (w/ a cold soj...omg...)
see my barb for details.

@Luffy - how much do you want for that soj

Somewhat ironically, the one skill you really want for this build is wall of zombies - barricade. Since that isnt possible, here are some tips:

One thing that really helps this build is what zones you play. You will do much better in keep depth or vault of the assassin than you will in oasis or fields of misery (for example).

If you solo alot, you can look into a Buriza-Do Kyanon for your scoundral. If you group more, cyclone monks or cm wizards are helpful.

I think some form of zombie dogs is required for pile on builds. There are alot of options, but i tend to like circle of life best since i have alot of pur from thing of the deep. I also like desperate grasp - death is life for this build, especially if you run gruesome feast. It takes some time to learn how to place it though.

Dont forget that pile-on triggers fetish sycophants, which can be rather useful/amusing if you have enough attack speed.

I play pile on a good amount, feel free to add me/ look at my setup for some ideas.
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 7/2/2013 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
does the cold really not proc? Even for locust swarm?
Reply Quote
only physical dmg can proc.
for WD u can pretty much ignore the elem. dmg effect.

Barb, monk can proc those much better.

07/03/2013 08:13 AMPosted by nematoad
does the cold really not proc? Even for locust swarm?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]