Diablo® III

help with shoulders gearing

Appreciate any inputs! I got a few decent shoulders that I can't really decide which is better for me...

1) My current choice if I listen to d3up because it puts me at 1M EHP (block + dodge) =D. But has no AR/Armor rolls = my mitigation suffers =(. Anyone with a comparable or better shoulders in terms of HP?

353 Armor
85 Dex
277 Int
180 Vit
12% Life
266 Life regen

2)

517 Armor
280 Int
89 Vit
31 Physical resist
64 AR
4% Life

3)

512 Armor
226 Int
83 Vit
60 Fire resist
74 AR
7 PUR
Edited by EremiteAngel#6608 on 6/29/2013 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i would remove option B from your list.

Your 1st are BEAST!!! eHP city!

Middle are ..... meh

Last are. well, people in WD forums KNOW i am a pickup radius freak. I will sacrifice dps + ehp (minor losses) for additional PUR (but i need for my build)
Reply Quote
I'd stick with what you have in option 1. The PUR is nice, and if I were you I'd want it on at least one piece of gear, but with your AR and Armor so high, what you gain from options 2 and 3 isn't as helpful as all the HP provided with option 1.
Reply Quote
While mitigation everywhere is nice, at this stage of your gearing you'll likely find the vit/life% to feel a bit safer simply for the additional time you gain to react when a situation gets nasty. I'd still consider doing a couple runs with #2 to get a feel for what you're missing with that armour/all resist roll but I suspect you'll notice the missing hp pool buffer more.

Anyway, good luck when you decide to keep crafting.
Reply Quote
I like ur shield build.

for your build, I vote for no.1 (the one which give u the most vital?)
mitigation is not a problem for shield build...
the 3% lifesteal is...
the more hp as buffer, the better.
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 6/29/2013 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i would remove option B from your list.

Your 1st are BEAST!!! eHP city!

Middle are ..... meh

Last are. well, people in WD forums KNOW i am a pickup radius freak. I will sacrifice dps + ehp (minor losses) for additional PUR (but i need for my build)

hmm I've been running with option 2 for much of the past few months XD
Personally I've been toying with the idea of going option 3 for the PUR as well, then I can change my pants and drop the PUR for higher vit/int. I'm losing about 150 stats on my pants. But it will take a massive pants to give a comparable EHP to my option 1 shoulders...
none of the current pants on AH is able to give me a better EHP than my option 1 shoulders...

06/29/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Bonefish
I'd stick with what you have in option 1. The PUR is nice, and if I were you I'd want it on at least one piece of gear, but with your AR and Armor so high, what you gain from options 2 and 3 isn't as helpful as all the HP provided with option 1.

While mitigation everywhere is nice, at this stage of your gearing you'll likely find the vit/life% to feel a bit safer simply for the additional time you gain to react when a situation gets nasty. I'd still consider doing a couple runs with #2 to get a feel for what you're missing with that armour/all resist roll but I suspect you'll notice the missing hp pool buffer more.

Anyway, good luck when you decide to keep crafting.

I like ur shield build.

for your build, I vote for no.1 (the one which give u the most vital?)
mitigation is not a problem for shield build...
the 3% lifesteal is...
the more hp as buffer, the better.

P.S. luffy : I bought my current shield recently. won it in a bid for 55M. quite happy with it =D nice shield? hehe.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been so undecided because when I try both option 1 and 2 in gameplay, I can't really feel the difference. Scenarios that usually kills me does, and scenarios that don't, don't. its so hard to decide based on gameplay feel.

One thing I noticed though is that when using option 2, I can clear Act 4 with no deaths quite often if I concentrate and play safely. But with option 1, for some reason I always end up with 1 or 2 deaths lol...

My guess is that I've played so long with option 2, I react based on 92+ mit instead of my current 91+. So when HP drops low, the decision to run or fight has to change too...which makes me wonder...is 7K HP gain better than 60+ AR and 160 Armor? D3up tells me it is based on paper EHP. But I'm still quite unsure.

Having said all that, it might also be because I changed my gloves lol...

my current gloves

309 Armor
222 Int
60 cold resist
76 AR
9% AS
41% CD
5% CC

my previous gloves

455 Armor
229 Int
36 Poison resist
78 AR
34% CD
10% CC

my 3rd option gloves

309 Armor
129 Dex
205 Int
29 Arcane resist
7% AS
50% CD
9% CC

Honestly these 3 gloves are giving me a headache also lol...3rd option gives me a massive 10k+ DPS boost but with no mit, I've not used it much. Currently using the first option as it gives me 3k more DPS than option 2 and I give up only 150 armor. But it is mostly DPS in terms of AS which I can sustain reasonably okay with jaunt...

this is my current predicament lol. I've been trying out different combinations of shoulders and gloves but can't tell which is best in terms of gameplay feel...in terms of paper stats, shoulders option 1 and gloves option 1 gives me the best looking paper stats.

Any further thoughts on which combination might be best for me? XD
sorry for long post lol...

Appreciate the inputs.
Reply Quote
i vote for.... option 1 shoulders, option 2 gloves

massive ehp, and having high crit chance is pretty important to me.
Reply Quote
Yeah, definitely #2 gloves. This is not mit vs vit, it's ehp vs dps and asi dps at that which is only catching up for dps because of the asi.

Edit: This is contextualised for CoB of course.
Edited by Surijak#1957 on 6/29/2013 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@EremiteAngel,

Your Armor and AR are already high. I'll choose shoulders #1 for sure if I'm in your shoes. As for the gloves, IF you're starting to feel you want more DPS and don't need so much defense, then drop the shield and go for a mojo. I'm sure Blizzard mapped out the 1H+mojo to be balanced design, the shield was an afterthought just to show they've got shields for WDs too, and we all know whenever Blizzard does something like that, they'll surely screw up (most recent example: various runes for Firebats).

This is Nubtro's research for CoB:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796451628?page=7#121

If I calculated correctly from your profile, you should be at 1.61 APS, in this APS bracket:
1.57895-1.66666 aps - 18 frames - 3.33 ticks - 110 mana -
While your sheet DPS changes with APS, your eDPS remains exactly the same as long as you're within the same CoB-APS bracket. For this reason, your 3rd glove will be a better choice if your objective is to jump into this APS bracket. Going from 1.58 APS to 1.61 APS increases your sheet DPS but really does nothing for your eDPS.

If I'm in your shoes, I'll stick with the previous 10CC + AR gloves. Again, if I feel tanky enough, I'll just ditch the shield for a mojo.
Reply Quote
i vote for.... option 1 shoulders, option 2 gloves

massive ehp, and having high crit chance is pretty important to me.

Yeah, definitely #2 gloves. This is not mit vs vit, it's ehp vs dps and asi dps at that which is only catching up for dps because of the asi.

Edit: This is contextualised for CoB of course.

seems like option 2 gloves might be best for me...I think you're right surijak. I was kind of blinded by the paper DPS and just chose option 1 gloves thinking it is better since I can sustain it mana-wise reasonably okay. That was what I was thinking until I saw Paul's post.

Paul's post which brought up quite a bit of new things that I wasn't aware of...

@EremiteAngel,

Your Armor and AR are already high. I'll choose shoulders #1 for sure if I'm in your shoes. As for the gloves, IF you're starting to feel you want more DPS and don't need so much defense, then drop the shield and go for a mojo. I'm sure Blizzard mapped out the 1H+mojo to be balanced design, the shield was an afterthought just to show they've got shields for WDs too, and we all know whenever Blizzard does something like that, they'll surely screw up (most recent example: various runes for Firebats).

This is Nubtro's research for CoB:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796451628?page=7#121

If I calculated correctly from your profile, you should be at 1.61 APS, in this APS bracket:
1.57895-1.66666 aps - 18 frames - 3.33 ticks - 110 mana -
While your sheet DPS changes with APS, your eDPS remains exactly the same as long as you're within the same CoB-APS bracket. For this reason, your 3rd glove will be a better choice if your objective is to jump into this APS bracket. Going from 1.58 APS to 1.61 APS increases your sheet DPS but really does nothing for your eDPS.

If I'm in your shoes, I'll stick with the previous 10CC + AR gloves. Again, if I feel tanky enough, I'll just ditch the shield for a mojo.

@paul
You're right, I was at 1.61. But dropping option 1 gloves for option 2 gloves, my APS goes from 1.61 to 1.49 so according to nubtro's research, I fall into:

1.42858-1.50000 aps - 20 frames - 3.00 ticks - 99 mana - 3.17 sec (190 frames)

in this case, will option 1 gloves that gives me 3.33 ticks be better eDPS assuming I can sustain the mana?
I had no idea for CoB eDPS doesn't change if you remain in the same bracket even if sheet DPS does...

Also, after I was reading the forums and looking at profiles when I chanced upon this massive shoulders on Neuron.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Neuron-1807/hero/31485862

Makes my shoulders option 1 look really weak. So I went back to crafting and got myself an option 4. 5K less HP but 79 more AR.

353 Armor
77 Dex
277 Int
74 Vit
79 AR
11% Life
301 Life Regen

Option 1 still better sheet EHP wise...no more gold to craft. got to stick with option 1 for now XD

Thanks for all the advice!
Reply Quote
1.42858-1.50000 aps - 20 frames - 3.00 ticks - 99 mana - 3.17 sec (190 frames)in this case, will option 1 gloves that gives me 3.33 ticks be better eDPS assuming I can sustain the mana?

Yes, for any APS bracket for CoB, it will be easier and cheaper to gear for the lower breakpoint within that bracket. If mana is not an issue, the higher the APS bracket will lead to higher DPS naturally.

You also get more frequent ticks for LS, although to me, getting one tick at 0.3 secs or 0.5 secs is negligible. I make it a point not to die within 1 sec anyway.

Side note to everyone else reading this:
My APS is 1.17, which falls into this CoB APS bracket
1.15385-1.20000 aps - 25 frames - 2.40 ticks - 80 mana
Anyone who wants to get into the same APS bracket can get a 8% IAS / 6% CHC Lacuni Bracer, which will be MUCH cheaper than my 9% IAS / 6% CHC bracer, and do exactly the same eDPS, even though the sheet DPS of the 9% IAS bracer is higher.
Edited by PaulNg#6869 on 6/30/2013 1:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/30/2013 01:06 AMPosted by PaulNg
9% IAS / 6% CHC bracer

that lacuni must have cost quite a bit...did you get it for the MS or the IAS?
Reply Quote
06/30/2013 01:48 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
that lacuni must have cost quite a bit...did you get it for the MS or the IAS?

Actually, it was for the MS, the CHC, and the % reduction. Somehow, there were only a few on the AH results, and I sniped this one at the bid (34.5M). It just happens to come with 9% IAS although I only needed 8% IAS to get to the APS bracket.

The 4% reduction is actually worth quite a lot of Armor or AR, even more when we combo with FA and JF. Equivalent +Armor or +AR lacuni may cost 10x more.

Same concept for my Zuni chest, % reduction instead of +Armor.
Reply Quote
hmm was thinking if you are okay with 12% MS, you could very possibly craft a higher DPS/EHP bracers.

nice chest too btw. back when I had some gold I was also shopping for an elite reduc marrow. But on hindsight Act 4 might of been better with armor roll because the normal mobs there hurt XD
Reply Quote
06/30/2013 03:21 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
nice chest too btw. back when I had some gold I was also shopping for an elite reduc marrow. But on hindsight Act 4 might of been better with armor roll because the normal mobs there hurt XD

I think that's not a very accurate statement. Those mobs aren't more painful than other Acts, we feel that way because of their special abilities and debuffs. If the debuffs are not present, then the mallet lords are about the same as dark berserkers, they don't hit harder.

I chose that Zuni chest so that I could move away from a Litany ring and go for a DPS ring. At the time of purchase, all the +Armor Zuni chests were way beyond my budget, so the % reduction chest was a good gear-balancing move.

Besides, I don't agree on the 4000 Armor benchmark. I think the % reduction method is better where the situation hurts, and not required where the mobs don't hurt. This effect is more significant after the Horrify:FA buff. 7000 Armor to 8000 Armor does not enhance mitigation by much.

1) against trash mobs, I won't need it
2) in Act 4 with all the debuffs, having that extra Armor (4000 against my 3500) won't help either
3) the simple solution, double dose of LS!

So I'll just save my gold and wait for the new items patch.
Reply Quote
hmm...you seem to have pointed out something right there...but I can't wrap my mind around it lol. Too tired. Need to go para by para.

first paragraph I agree...you are right. normal mobs in Act 4 hurt mainly because of the abilities and debuffs.

second paragraph good point! an elite reduc chest can free up a ring slot. Though personally I would have liked to go with both litany and elite reduc marrow.

third paragraph...hmm I don't know...7000 to 8000 armor...might mean life or death. Personally I have had many '1 HP' moments especially in Act 4, where I would assume that extra bit of armor saved me.

Edit: would %reduction have given me better survivability? I don't know...hard to say. Armor helps against all damage. %reduction depends on the type of damage...
Edited by EremiteAngel#6608 on 6/30/2013 5:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]