Diablo® III

Game punishes you for being different.

Sure not all the skills can be equal but if you don't pick exactly the cookie cutter build of the moment you simply suffer in terms of performance. In what universe do you have a skill that does 1000% damage (cloud of bats) for 66 mana and not expect every single WD to jump on it?

I'm sick of trying to have a different kind of build, im sick of being punished for not wanting the same build as everyone else.

Build diversity is joke in this game.
Reply Quote
I totally agree.
Reply Quote
The problem is when Blizzard came up with this skill system, they imagined people choosing whatever random abilities they liked, without too much concern with how these skills worked together. It's hard to pick the skills you like, if there are skills that add so much to survivability and efficiency that you'd be foolish to use anything else.
Reply Quote
Ironically Diablo 2 the game Jay Wilson loved to bad mouth every chance he got has more build diversity than this game.

And you know what's coming, if a build is better than the rest it will get nerfed because it's less work than making the greater number of weaker builds comparable. Mediocre developers taking the easy way.
Reply Quote
Sure not all the skills can be equal but if you don't pick exactly the cookie cutter build of the moment you simply suffer in terms of performance. In what universe do you have a skill that does 1000% damage (cloud of bats) for 66 mana and not expect every single WD to jump on it?

I'm sick of trying to have a different kind of build, im sick of being punished for not wanting the same build as everyone else.

Shows how much you know about what you're talking about, which is nothing.

First of all; Cloud of bats is not 1000% damage it is 501% and charges upto 601% and costs 221 mana to start, and 66 mana to maintain.

Second; Which Doctors have the most build diversity in the game, with Bats, Bears, and 0dog all being viable. Not too mention people playing around with Pile On , Thorns, and Pet builds.
Reply Quote
You call it punishment. I say you are being rewarded with more fun and a greater challenge. Probably why I still play a DH. Easily the least efficient class in the game but I do enjoy the various builds I have played.
Reply Quote
If I may interject the opposing point of view into the discussion. If you REALLY like other skills, then use them. Will this not present a more challenging game for you? A test of your gamer skills is often time more fun that going with the flow in my most humble opinion. I have watched dozens of build concepts on YouTube and played with a variety of builds. I modified a combination of those to my game style and what makes the game fun for me.

Hey bro, I am a disabled guy, so I know a bit about diversity. At 53 years young, I play games to take my mind off of the fact that every joint in my peeked body is screaming at me. I am not that good of a gamer, but I do like to have fun. Not being part of the pack is what I am all about, so I embrace it. I get advice from my friends about what skills to use to be a better monster slayer, but that is because they want me to be successful. They don't understand that I am an expert in swimming upstream when the rest are swimming down stream.

Think if over, let me know.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Prometheus
I totally agree.

Did you craft your ammy on your WD?
Reply Quote
Shows how much you know about what you're talking about, which is nothing.

First of all; Cloud of bats is not 1000% damage it is 501% and charges upto 601% and costs 221 mana to start, and 66 mana to maintain.

I don't recall pissing in your cornflakes this morning vis. But as a player with even roughly 1/4 the WD exp as mine i would expect you to be a bit more informed. It is 501 and goes up by a multiple of 100% not an addition. = 1002%.

Second; Which Doctors have the most build diversity in the game, with Bats, Bears, and 0dog all being viable. Not too mention people playing around with Pile On , Thorns, and Pet builds.

The AH is full of Zbear strings because they have been abandoned to COB. Currently WD are about 90 to 95% COB. And did you just mention thorns as a viable build??? LOL.

And what's your build Viss??? Oh.. its COB ... what a surprise....
Edited by blackjack#1375 on 7/1/2013 6:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Having a self-found mode would alleviate this issue and save the game.
Reply Quote
If I may interject the opposing point of view into the discussion. If you REALLY like other skills, then use them. Will this not present a more challenging game for you? A test of your gamer skills is often time more fun that going with the flow in my most humble opinion. I have watched dozens of build concepts on YouTube and played with a variety of builds. I modified a combination of those to my game style and what makes the game fun for me.

And you also play COB....

With all due respect. The game is not more challenging with other builds it's just SLOWER......

Let's admit this from the outset, there is no skill in Diablo 3. Now if non standard builds were actually harder to play and faster than COB or 0 dog then you would have a point.

I am sorry for your disability.
Edited by blackjack#1375 on 7/1/2013 6:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hmm buffing other skills on my WD would be cool.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Capo
Having a self-found mode would alleviate this issue and save the game.

LOL.....NO
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 06:07 PMPosted by blackjack
I don't recall pissing in your cornflakes this morning vis. But as a player with even roughly 1/4 the WD exp as mine i would expect you to be a bit more informed. It is 501 and goes up by a multiple of 100% not an addition. = 1002%.

no, its additive. Unless they decided to make this one skill totally different from all the others.
Reply Quote

no, its additive. Unless they decided to make this one skill totally different from all the others.

The tooltip says :

Cloud of Bats
Call forth a swirl of bats that damage nearby enemies for 501% weapon damage as Fire. The damage of the bats increases by 20% every second, up to a maximum of 100%.

If the skill starts off doing 500% weapon damage... well 20% of that is 100% weapon damage... so it would go from 500% weapon damage to 1000% weapon damage.

The tooltip doesn't say "increases damage by +20% weapon damage".
Edited by SmokeyMcBudd#1518 on 7/1/2013 6:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What's the obsession with 100% efficiency? I had a D2 mf sorc with a little too much energy and levels in warmth, but I liked it since I hated getting mana pots. I made up for the lower vitality by not playing like a retard. Who cares if it was 99% efficiency? Am I going to sit there for 12 hours where the 1% will manifest? It's all about interesting choices and hard decisions, something that really doesn't exist in D3.

D3's choices are more along the lines of "Do you want to shoot a blue laser or a red laser?"
Reply Quote

The tooltip says the damage increase by 20% every second up to 100%... if the skill starts off doing 500% weapon damage... well 20% of that is 100% weapon damage... so it would go from 500% weapon damage to 1000% weapon damage.

The tooltip doesn't say "increases 20% weapon damage"... so its 20% to 100% increase of 500% weapon damage. Which would be 500...600...700...800...900...1000%.

have you actually gone and tested this? or are you just reading one possible interpretation of the tooltip and assuming you have to be right in the face of all logic?
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 06:25 PMPosted by Kil
What's the obsession with 100% efficiency?

Because it is directly related to farming items... that wasn't the case for D2.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback! Build diversity is a big topic, and something we're always interested in hearing about. I think there will always be a build that yields the highest performance, but the question is about the variance. Do you feel that there are no builds even close to the Cloud of Bats build(s)?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]