Diablo® III

Game punishes you for being different.

90 Tauren Druid
You guys have the spec data, you tell us.

Give us a graphic even like in the old developer journal concerning Warcry:

The numbers of people using a build doesn't tell how much better it is. People will literally chose the build that's 1% better.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 08:35 PMPosted by Crook
I greatly agree with the lack of build diversity point. Almost every DH is on a Rapid Fire build, almost every WD is on a Cloud of Bats build, almost every Barb is on Whirlwind build (at least there is another viable build with Hammer of the Ancients but it's still really only 2 builds), almost every Wiz is on CM or Archon, and almost every monk is on Thunderclap/Cyclone build.

Sums up the build diversity in D3.
Yes, these are the current most efficient build, where RF and CoB were the recent patch buff.
Reply Quote
I'm positive that the devs are discussing and talking about introducing build varieties into the game, but I hope the scope range are not limited to a single class build only.

I for once, would love to see how different class can provide special synergies, aside from the obvious skills we had right now (as in, obvious buff, debuff, crowd gathering, crowd control, etc).

It would be great if I could see something like example below aside from class only build diversity improvement.
Example: DH throw a grenade, then monk use cyclone strike, will result enemy gathered into one spot, along with the grenade.
etc2.
Reply Quote
You are correct in part. When I do keys, I do use COB, Farming for items Zombie Bears, keep the switch in my stash handy, and Ubbers, well that is entirely different skills again. You caught me on a night that I was doing key runs with my bro's. We were quite successful. Hooray for us. I have not found anyone except perhaps the British dude on YouTube that changes things around as much as I do, as variety is the spice of life. I respect where you are coming from and value your opinion. From the looks of it, the folks at Blizzard do as well. So my friend, you take care and I'm sure you will have those changes in the future. One thing I have noticed about Blizzard/Battlenet, they do tend to listen to the folks who pay their salaries.

Keep on - Keepin on.
Reply Quote
If we could put points into, and thus buff, the lesser effective skills, this wouldnt be an issue.
One of the things i miss the most from D2 is taking a lesser but more Fun skill and dumping enough points into it to make it great. The option to CHOOSE and even have to Plan and THINK(or at least google lol).
But alas now we all the same skills, take em or leave em. and it all depends on your weapon. .
boo i say, boo.

That was awesome and a very good point. Especially when you could use rune words to change things even more. Take a crummy item and buff it into something HOT. Hey, it's after midnight, that's all I got, but that was fun. I think it was hard for new players however. They had a disadvantage until they finally "got" the game. I'm not sure you want to make it so complicated that people don't actually buy it, you know what I mean?
Reply Quote
i never run out of mana, and a little life on hit goes a long ways with acid rains proc rates (trying to get stun on hit gloves craft and freeze on hit witching hour.. proc doc..just like the good ol days)
Reply Quote
I think what bothers me most about this subject is that superficially, it looks trivial to get more of the skills into the same ballpark instead of having the difference in killing power be 10:1 or worse. At even 2:1, it's going to feel like there isn't much choice, but at this level of difference, most skills simply are not functional at high MP.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 07:55 PMPosted by FireZombie
Do you feel that there are no builds even close to the Cloud of Bats build(s)?

I like to run Well of Souls/Bears combo

Works great melting face at a good pace on MP 7, i'm sure if I had GG gear it would do MP 10 great too!

For the cost of standing still and not being able to move, with high initial mana cost, bats are great as is.

With higher attack speed, the mana cost to keep it up is absurd.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568960808?page=6#118

I dislike the fact that people talk about 1000% weapon damage per second, because that only applies to 1.00 aps. The skill doesn´t apply damage once per second. It applies (half) the tooltip damage twice per second at 1.00 aps (each 30 frames) and the more aps you have, the faster it ticks.The scaling formula is

------------------

zombie bears are'nt even close.. sigh

You must not know how to aim them >.>

There are tactics you can use to make all 3 hit, and with good equipment, some people could have a near infinite bears, with less than 5 seconds delay before you regen to max mana.

Depending on skill, bears are still better than bats. L2P

You are spot on about mana problems. There are ways around it for COB's, but you need the right gear and that ain't cheap! Also, you sacrifice a ton of other skills when you use COB, and you better have awesome armor! You get tagged by a charging anything or frozen, and adios. You are reviving. Still, for wailing a ton of monsters in a short time, COB is pretty awesome. Takes some practice, and need a bit of skill to get those that run away. I do dig a zombie bear, haven't tried the zero dog yet, but for now, just like changing skills to whatever I happen to want to do that day. Hey, I'm a freak.
Reply Quote
This game only about money. There are no different in skill if you have enough gear to 1 shot or nearly 1 shot everything.

Bear? Bat? Haunt? no different at all. You need only money to buy top gears and every skill is avaible in any difficultes ....
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 7/1/2013 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

And some other guy with a bit less offensive for my Death Blossom-Blizzard Wiz and said
"You build is not helping, im not trying to insult you but you could have just use another "useful" build?", obviously referring to a perma-freeze or Archon build =_=

Wow. Another Arcane torrent wizard player. That's two other than my own I know about.

Yes, I've received some snide remarks from other players as well playing the build. Players expect every wizard in the game to be spam freezing everything on screen so they can all pound on frozen statues.

Kind of why I don't want to play the typical cookie cutter wizard build. It's kind of boring.
Reply Quote
Sure not all the skills can be equal but if you don't pick exactly the cookie cutter build of the moment you simply suffer in terms of performance. In what universe do you have a skill that does 1000% damage (cloud of bats) for 66 mana and not expect every single WD to jump on it?

I'm sick of trying to have a different kind of build, im sick of being punished for not wanting the same build as everyone else.

Build diversity is joke in this game.

Thank you for your feedback! Build diversity is a big topic, and something we're always interested in hearing about. I think there will always be a build that yields the highest performance, but the question is about the variance. Do you feel that there are no builds even close to the Cloud of Bats build(s)?

not only is there much diversity, but there is no depth from all of the over simplification. your character is simply 6 skills, 3 passives and a primary attribute. just doesn't feel like there is much to it or that your character really stands out
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Grimiku
Thank you for your feedback! Build diversity is a big topic, and something we're always interested in hearing about. I think there will always be a build that yields the highest performance, but the question is about the variance. Do you feel that there are no builds even close to the Cloud of Bats build(s)?

Oh c'mon. We all know that for every class there are always only a couple of builds that are worth using. Using anything else and you're just not performing as well as you could.

So much for having trillions of possible builds in total when only ~10 are even worth using.
Reply Quote

I feel like there are no spirit generators that even come close to the powerhouse that is Thunderclap.

*cough.... quickening... cough...
Reply Quote
ill make it easy for you new players on build diversity difference between d2 vanilla and this game...exactly the same after a few months the best cookie cutter builds were everywhere noone tried different builds because they didnt work in either pve or pvp if you want a much faster build for farming than the old ww barb try my rend one.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Grimiku

There are builds .. but none are close to cloud of bats or to bears.. I like the sacrifice-based build.. and I currently use rain of toads a lot. . but really.. not much diversity is classes/skills in this game, Grimiku..

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
07/02/2013 02:00 AMPosted by DecadoKiller
ill make it easy for you new players on build diversity difference between d2 vanilla and this game...exactly the same after a few months the best cookie cutter builds were everywhere noone tried different builds because they didnt work in either pve or pvp if you want a much faster build for farming than the old ww barb try my rend one.

Eh, did you play the original Diablo 2. I did. I tried more than just the "best" build for each class. It was fun. You should try having fun some time... ...it's fun!

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
@Blashyrkh

I honestly believe the devs went the wrong way by overscaling healthpools, which is the main reason so many of the current skills aren't even considered, since most of them were tuned for the original inferno with reasonably sized health pools.

+1

07/01/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
lower MP levels where healthpools aren't so drastically overscaled display a lot of options for every class, since so much damage isn't required to run them. Literally any build you can think about can work for MP0-2. Overscaled healthpools don't create any difficulty, they're just a lame DPS check

+1

07/01/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
Humongous healthpools make ranged playstyles unviable, because you can't really keep kiting for a long time without having a monumental dps loss, even with relatively high sheet DPS, plus the fact melee combat isn't nearly as unforgiving as it used to be, mostly due to life leech mechanics' excessive efficiency. Under these conditions it's not surprising everyone just adopts a melee build, stack some defensive stats and sit in the same spot spamming their biggest skill till everything drops dead.

+1
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]