Diablo® III

Anyone can explain it?

My main is DH, all leg drops I get are gear for other classes. You can see in my profile how they equipped from mostly DH's findings.

Fire up my WD, guess what! Coats, quivers, all sort of bows (Manticore and DML on DH right now, WFs on scoundrels). My Barb got mempo, inna's pants and high heel shoes, all on DH, lol. Most important fact here is all qulity drops come from public games only. Say I play WD and DHs are there. Sometimes when I get a drop I think "hmm... that DH lost his quiver", or "poor Wiz, I got your Chantodos, but they probably upgrade for my hero, so thank you for playing with me today."

Only the explanation I can give is the game puts you in the situation where trading/AH is the only ways to climb up and very very low chance to get good equip from ground if you have 1 char only. So it makes you to develop all classes to generate currency flow. I guess there are an algorithm to encourage ingame trading between players, which (traiding) doesn't exists because of AH and it is easier.

It is not a complain, my observations only.

Is it just me?

P.S. I'm going to use that formula, DH and WD going side by side in HC now, lol
Reply Quote
rng
Reply Quote
Game telling you to play other classes, lol

But yeah I get mojos and other stuff for my other characters playing my Barb.
Reply Quote
07/02/2013 11:15 PMPosted by cam
rng

RNG would be when for 5 classes 20% drop in average for each playing any class. I get much less, I'd say close to 0%.

07/03/2013 12:31 AMPosted by jtcdgroup
Game telling you to play other classes, lol

That comes up in my mind all the time I get a drop :)

To add more on it, I watch youtube videos time to time to see different builds and classes in action, learn to play etc. and noticed similar legs drop.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 04:12 PMPosted by Defender
RNG would be when for 5 classes 20% drop in average for each playing any class. I get much less, I'd say close to 0%.

That's not RNG as it's not really random now is it? The item that drops from a monster is random other than the item level which is determined by the monster level (e.g. ilvl 63 drops from level 63 monsters).

What you're talking may be included in the itemisation patch (see below): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696

Another idea is that we introduce a system that will help alleviate some of the bad randomness players encounter by ensuring that at least some of the Rare and Legendary items you find will be something good for your class.

But it looks like you'll have to wait for 2014...
Edited by abend#6917 on 7/3/2013 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 04:41 PMPosted by abend
That's not RNG as it's not really random now is it?

This is what I see from my drops experience. With "real" RNG I should be closer to the middle of the Gaussian distribution graph with any class. There are some adjustments I guess. As a game developer I probably would do the same what Blizz done to keep players in the Skinner box :)

Another idea is that we introduce a system that will help alleviate some of the bad randomness players encounter by ensuring that at least some of the Rare and Legendary items you find will be something good for your class.

Does it prove controlled drops?
Reply Quote
RNG. Look at it this way:

There are 5 classes, so for drops, there is a 20% chance to get a drop for any specific class (basic idea). The small error people make is thinking that playing a certain class will help focus drops for that class. But that is incorrect. Play with ANY character, expect drops for ALL classes. :)

You're only focussing on getting Barbarian upgrades atm, so you're noticing that you hardly get Barb items (upgrades are hard to come by anyway, once you reach a certain level).

My 2 cents.
Reply Quote
07/03/2013 07:35 PMPosted by Defender
This is what I see from my drops experience. With "real" RNG I should be closer to the middle of the Gaussian distribution graph with any class.

Yes, but what are you distributing over? My point was that you can't expect the RNG to normally distribute items per class because the items themselves are not all designed to be class-specific.

Think about any rare 1h weapon - it could be used by any class and the RNG could select from all the available stats in a way that makes it "classless" (e.g. avg dmg, weapon dmg%, life steal, open socket, chd). That's a "good" example that could potentially be used by any class. Then there are the meaningless examples, which we are all familiar with, that are useless to any class (the best I've found was a quadfecta resistance ring with a socket - TY RNG). So, given most items in the game can be used by more than one class and given the typically large number of stats available to the RNG for any given item, how could you reasonably expect 20% chance to find a drop relevant to the class you are currently playing let alone any class for that matter? The design of the items (i.e. the available stats and the "classless" nature of most items) guarantee this.

So, technically speaking, the class relevance of an item is not a continuous variable to begin with because there are many "classless" items in the game, hence, it is unreasonable to expect a normal distribution. Therefore, it makes no sense to expect 20% of your item drops to be relevant to the class you are playing. One also has to remember that there are subjective elements to "class relevance" based on build and playstyle anyway (e.g. although perfect trifecta dex gloves would be godly for any monk, it might be terrible for a TR monk to have an IAS roll).

The only way something like this can be achieved is to redesign the items to ensure relevant stats for each and every item are available to the RNG. In all likelihood this will actually have to be developed as parameters to the RNG: e.g. if player = barb, give a heavier weight to strength. This and other possibilities is what the D3 developers are calling "itemisation" - the RNG will give you more relevant drops (while also reducing the number of drops). This is partly to offset the reliance on AH. See link in previous post.

So, your observations are right, your expectations are a little unrealistic regarding class relevant drops, but the itemisation patch is likely to address your concerns. Until then, you gotta play the AH or craft.
Reply Quote
Thanks Abend for your input. I didn't think that broad and was focusing mostly on set items, not "classless".

Yeah, my DH never seen own set items on the floor. There was a time in pre100dps era when my WD and Barb kept her moving with upgrades. Now AH and craft only.
Reply Quote
If I remember right, the RNG will first determine what kind of drop (set, leg, rare, magic, PoS), what item to drop of that kind and then what stats to roll on the item. I'm pretty sure each class has the same number of set items + there are a couple of classless sets (Endless Path, Legacy of Wicked sth or other and Blackthorne's). So, if you're only talking about sets then you are right: you should, over time, get the same proportion of set drops for each class (just below 20%). But, because the relative drop rate of set items is quite low, it would take forever to get enough kills in the game to achieve this.

Basically, it's not worth thinking about. RNG is RNG. The itemisation patch is likely to improve the quality and relevance of drops, which will be a good thing. Craft in the meantime - it's a decent time and gold sink.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]