Diablo® III

Plague Bats: Thoughts and Techniques

hello,

i got a cheap visage of giyua with 6 mana reduction for PB, now my mana is gowing down REALLY slow while channeling PB, almost to the point of non-exhaustion.

now, i want to put HEX on my left click mouse, but even with elective mode on, it will not let me. is there a way that i can map it there?

the 1234 button layout stays, i am a muscle memory player and 1234 means something to me in every game. Thanks.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/08/2013 07:59 AMPosted by theStrobist
now, i want to put HEX on my left click mouse, but even with elective mode on, it will not let me. is there a way that i can map it there?

You're right it won't go there. You can put it on the right click though.
Reply Quote
i see. i am afraid of activating it when i try to click on the ground.
Reply Quote
I think PB is great, and Underated by most people obsessed with CoB. I say this because I was one of those people.

It works better in groups in my opinion, most notably the CM Wiz. When I used CoB I remember hating CM/Wizards, basically just slowing me down causing me to run around more. The range on PB is wonderfull, and can hit the full span of frozen targets in one go. I feel the same for Cyclone monks (maybe i just played with bad ones) because they all had a habbit of just doing there Cyclone too far away. As PB, they can do it where ever and not have to be so precise.

If your alone, I still prefer PB, even as my only attack spell (other than Locust-Pestilence for pulls.) I've found the best way to handle mobs circling around you is to just Spirit Walk away, and blast them again. By the time they circle you again, your spirit walk should either be back all ready, or well on it's way to being usable in a second or two(with Grave Injustice.)

The BEST part of PB in my eyes, is the elimination of worrying about knock back mobs, my only enemy as CoB. Now I just shrug it off. If you like pulling hundreds of mobs like I do, that knock back will get you killed(knockback into stun+100 mobs hitting you=dead) unless you move away (CoB+moving=counter protuctive.) As PB, you heal through knock backs and just start right back up again.

Awww, I love plague bats. <3
Reply Quote
View profile

I think PB is great, and Underated by most people obsessed with CoB. I say this because I was one of those people.

Welcome to the other side, and congrats on your 100.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 7/8/2013 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Love PoB. You clear marginally slower than CoB but it's far less mind-numbingly boring and you actually have to be awake to play it. With Grave Injustice, Spirit Walk is up most of the time, so i don't find i need any other mana regen at all other than Honored Guest. Hex/Jinx and Mass Confusion/Paranoia take care of most Elites and Locust/Pestilence is great for pulls and life steal. I would never give up Spirit Vessel either, saved me far too many times.

If i was just wanting to power level to P100 as fast as possible i'd go CoB, but for everything else PoB is far more enjoyable to play.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/09/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Spurlock
You clear marginally slower than CoB but it's far less mind-numbingly boring and you actually have to be awake to play it.

That's how I feel too. I just feel like I'm doing nothing when I play CoB.
Reply Quote
since i've gone mck set pb has been much more fun. cob is crazy dmg but i will take the playstyle of pb over cob anyday
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Hales
since i've gone mck set pb has been much more fun. cob is crazy dmg but i will take the playstyle of pb over cob anyday

with your manaj set wouldn't bad medicine be a good passive?
Reply Quote
Some people have already touched on the subject of funneling, but that's really the key to having a lot of success IMO, with PB. Here's the build I used to make sure I had mobs funneling into a certain area to take advantage of the most DoT. It was a lot of fun but not as effective as some other builds.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bckgUd!UXT!ZbacaY

You learn how to position yourself and cast Barricade to create 1 or 2 possible funnels while Manitou does some damage if not takes care of all the stragglers. Spider Queen and VQ gives you a good deal of mana back and has synergy with BM, same with PB obviously. I have to be honest... I was always switching up my last passive and that's not a good mix when you smoke a lot.. So I don't really remember what it was. Experiment and have fun!!!
Reply Quote

Welcome to the other side, and congrats on your 100.

I would love to run PB but I find at my DPS it just isn't damaging enough to efficiently clear. When did you hit the breakpoint where it becomes effective enough to replace CoB? 180k? 200k?
Reply Quote
View profile
I would love to run PB but I find at my DPS it just isn't damaging enough to efficiently clear. When did you hit the breakpoint where it becomes effective enough to replace CoB? 180k? 200k?

Minimum for MP10 for whatever main skill you are running is 200K. And 220K plus is much better. This assumes good to nice defensive stats.

I suppose if someone wanted to buff their defense and run with less DPS, it's always possible, but what is the point in that?
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 02:57 PMPosted by skywalkerfx

Minimum for MP10 for whatever main skill you are running is 200K.

Pfft, no it isn't. I run MP10 daily with 157-160k for keys and such. My clear time might not be optimal (maybe 20 minutes to run the whole Oasis or Fields of Misery, less for Stonefort). I AM thinking I need about that to run PBs though since its about half as damaging as PoB at maximum stacking.
Edited by superpope#1338 on 7/13/2013 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i am 120K but i am running MP10 as well, but it takes around 45 minutes per key run. not optimal, but possible.
Reply Quote
View profile
I wouldn't have thought so. But rock on. You guys need to start up a I can run MP10 with no DPS thread.
Reply Quote
my MP10 experience:

act1: no problems apart from the savage beasts, festering woods - EZ

act2: the serpents are problematic, dying more than any acts(oasis), you have to funnel the serpents, choose where to fight

act3: not so bad, positioning plays a greater role here in the open(rakkis)

i can clear each key run on MP10 using positioning and a lot of patience. i believe that i can farm this as easily as MP8 if i reach 150K DPS. one important thing to remember in positioning is to fire laterally to maximise the effect. swapping my jinx for horrify also helps a lot in survivability.

i also find that some terrain will make your stream go longer, like when you are atop a flight of stairs. you also cannot hit targets that are higher up while you are attacking on the said stairs. i can be wrong, so please do not take this as fact.

again, the routine is, aggro a pack of monsters run behind your pets and friends, and spray until they all die. use spirit walk to find a favourable angle and chase to kill stragglers. as mentioned by me before, possible but takes a lot of time and patience. i sincerely would like to make a video to demonstrate this so that modestly equipped WDs can enjoy higher MP's as well but my macbook pro just becomes so hot and slow when i stream or record.

Plage Bats - the best thing that happened to Witch Doctors ever since I played it since launch day.
Reply Quote
yep
either back to a wall
or spin
;p n00b
Reply Quote
View profile
07/14/2013 02:43 AMPosted by theStrobist
again, the routine is, aggro a pack of monsters run behind your pets and friends, and spray until they all die. use spirit walk to find a favourable angle and chase to kill stragglers

OK so this is what you do in a group. How's all that attack speed working out for you. Have you tried not using so much?

And what MP level can you play solo?
Reply Quote
Hi, this is solo. i almost never play with a party unless we will run ubers. i can comfortably play MP9 solo. MP8 for no almost no deaths and MP10 is difficult, but doable. sorry if the word friends mislead you. by friends i mean templar, adria, cain's niece or tyrael,etc. i usually get them since my play style revolves around pets and friends acting as barricades.

the attack speed is a throwback to my older build. i did not bother to change the gear apart from the helmet. so far it's not so bad. i can say that if i had a skorn, my mana management would be better. but currently, i can stand a few yards away from an uber and channel Plague Bats for a VERY long time before i run out of mana. i haven't counted how long exactly but it is very long.

playing with a group of other players before killing ubers, all i do is support with horrify, big bad voodoo and jinx mainly. while PB offers some more DPS. our main DPS are wizards and monks.
Reply Quote
by the way, i dont have pets when i run with a party for killing ubers. i change them to more party oriented skills like BBV etc
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]