Diablo® III

Plague Bats: Thoughts and Techniques

PB player here. i just cant stand the attack radius of CoB.
Reply Quote
Grasp of the dead helps this. I have been using PB in a mixture of that guys infinite bears build, but with PB and grasp instead, i start with grasp, gets mobs attention, run in invis and SH back out then turn around and PB for a second and a half usually is enough to wipe out everything in the circle. Sure, sometimes you have to move your mouse around, but all in all, it works out well. Im going to make an attempt at a video for how i do my PB build, it works fine for me, i hope yall will learn something from it, or nothing at all >.> no presssure lol. Ill post a link when Im done, if the game ever comes back online ^^.. Happy mashing
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 11:36 AMPosted by AreYouGellis
PB player here. i just cant stand the attack radius of CoB.

And I just can't stand the low damage of PB.

Honestly, I love PB's range, but every time I try it out, its damage is just pitifully low compared to CoB's, and I struggle to survive against trash mobs. How the hell do people play PB when its damage is so damn low?

I mean, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to use a Skorn or something? Because I always see PB build videos using Skorn.
Edited by Joey#1757 on 7/16/2013 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think if plague bats scaled from 260% to 550% it would improve the skill. I don't know damage percent it starts at now but it's to low. I also believe the damage resets on new targets that run into the cone.

1. Make PB starting damage higher and lower the top end damage.

Or

2. Make PB stay at 560% percent damage on all targets until you stop using the spell
Reply Quote
I think if plague bats scaled from 260% to 550% it would improve the skill. I don't know damage percent it starts at now but it's to low. I also believe the damage resets on new targets that run into the cone.

1. Make PB starting damage higher and lower the top end damage.

Or

2. Make PB stay at 560% percent damage on all targets until you stop using the spell

It always does 578% weapon damage, the ramp up you see is due to the fact that it's a DoT.
Reply Quote
Your telling me I can cast plague bats then run away and it ill still do the damage? No.

The build up is to slow. Escpecially when we have elites running around and constantly re positioning. By the time we build the damage we have to start all over:
Reply Quote
View profile
07/16/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Joey
And I just can't stand the low damage of PB.

Now Joey we just went through this with you in your own thread.

You throw bats and move or not. I can now stand there and waste Ghom in one perma-cast of bats.

Big difference between the two skills is one is directional and one isn't.

Think of PB as a poison hose, and hose down things.

I die when I play CoB, because I don't play that way.

Which does more DPS? No one knows and everyone has an opinion.

I can do anything with PB that you can do with CoB.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 7/16/2013 2:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Your telling me I can cast plague bats then run away and it ill still do the damage? No

Yes. Supposedly the skill damage dude did some test and determined half of PB hits immediately and the other half hits over 3 seconds.

The build up is to slow. Escpecially when we have elites running around and constantly re positioning. By the time we build the damage we have to start all over:

Sounds like you're complaining about CoB. PB has no build up as I explained above.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 7/16/2013 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Mondo
Your telling me I can cast plague bats then run away and it ill still do the damage? No.

That is exactly how it works, give it a try!
Reply Quote
Better get my facts straight. The effect stacks or not?

I thought the skill worked like this.

- cast plague bats and it starts off doing 200% damage until its attacking the same monster for 3 consecutive seconds building in damage by X% per second.
Reply Quote
Ive found that with correct positioning away from cc mobs you can stay alive tanky any damage as long as you have a decent sized group to spray. With GI I almost always have SW off of cooldown, so I get mana from the honored guest rune but I also use it to dodge any cc related move. This deals with the chargers, frozen, and any other kind of cc. Also re-positioning, if necessary, during spirit walk allows an easy ramp up before they can react to your new spot. Against the few types of elites that I might have to kite, I will cast locust then do medium length burst of PB slipping into a new position every time spirit walk is off of CD. This allows to me to kill them quickly while still channeling when appropriate. During the few seconds you are re-positioning the DOT from lacusts and PB give you a lot of lifesteal as well as killing off the smaller monsters that come in from the sides while kiting. As long as monsters are dying you can sustain the main costs easily with GI and Zuni set bonus. Normally once I get it down to just the elite pack I will face tank them. Using positioning as necessary for whatever affixes they have.
Reply Quote
View profile
- cast plague bats and it starts off doing 200% damage until its attacking the same monster for 3 consecutive seconds building in damage by X% per second.

I see so you think CoB is 100% damage when you start? Doesn't it take CoB 2 or 3 seconds to get up to full damage?

First you want to say PB doesn't have a DoT. Now it's changed to it doesn't get to full damage fast enough?

It gets to full damage as fast as CoB does.
Reply Quote
I just never picked pb to be as affective as Cob. I will still say that it takes to long to for any high crits to appear when using PB. Cob starts at 500% damage and takes a short time to be at 600%

Maybe I'm wrong just need to re check when I get home.
Edited by Mondo#1539 on 7/16/2013 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
07/16/2013 02:54 PMPosted by skywalkerfx
Your telling me I can cast plague bats then run away and it ill still do the damage? No

Yes. Supposedly the skill damage dude did some test and determined half of PB hits immediately and the other half hits over 3 seconds.

Sounds like you're complaining about CoB. PB has no build up as I explained above.

I tried PB but I struggled with it - the life steal didn't seem to kick in nearly as fast.

So I'm very confused then - if it has no build up what does this part of the skill mean?

"Damage is slow at first, but can increase over time to a maximum of 578% weapon damage as Poison."
Reply Quote
View profile
07/16/2013 04:16 PMPosted by GunnersDream
Damage is slow at first, but can increase over time to a maximum of 578% weapon damage as Poison."

It takes 3 seconds for it to build to max damage. Half the damage is done immediately, the other half hits as as a dot divided over 3 seconds. After 3 seconds you do full damage until you stop channeling -- and your damage continues for 3 more seconds.

The dudes name was Nubtro, he calculated how the damage works. Link.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568377461?page=4#61
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 7/16/2013 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ah so with bats being a Dot that only stacks 2 times changes things. We can spray bat, use fire dart then spray bats again.
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 02:50 PMPosted by skywalkerfx
Think of PB as a poison hose, and hose down things.

Yes, and its damage is so pitiful that if I'm not using a Skorn, I struggle and die against trash mobs because it only ticks for 400-500k, compared to CoB's 800-1.2mil ticks.

I die when I play CoB, because I don't play that way.

How do you die using CoB? It literally requires no skill whatsoever. You run up to mob and hold down your CoB button until everything dies. You can't die unless you're standing in bad stuff.

Which does more DPS? No one knows

That right there is just outright wrong. CoB has higher DPS, this has been proven time and time again.

If you're so dead-set that PB is good and it works, then tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong, because its damage is pitiful compared to CoB's. Average ticks are 300-500k, and sometimes it will even tick for stupidly low amounts like 70k...
Edited by Joey#1757 on 7/16/2013 7:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
07/16/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Joey
If you're so dead-set that PB is good and it works, then tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong, because its damage is pitiful compared to CoB's. Average ticks are 300-500k, and sometimes it will even tick for stupidly low amounts like 70k...

I guess you need to take that up with the guys that say bears and PB out-damages CoB, in the thread you started. "Seriously, I don't get Plague Bats" http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9423163397#1

07/16/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Joey
You run up to mob and hold down your CoB button until everything dies. You can't die unless you're standing in bad stuff.

Go figure. If you like it -- you like it. Not for me.
Reply Quote
After trying the Barrage Bats build i'm amazed at the damage output. I usually run COB or Bears but after trying this, and melting everything in mp5 im going to stick with it till I know better.
Reply Quote
http://youtu.be/e4_Ia-s3mGU

Heres my plague bats and grasp build. Watch the dot. Im not geared awesomest or anything. Im doing mp7 just for the extra HP on mobs, i usually just do mp6 because of luck >.> Enjoy. Its morph of infinite bears build, no bears, just the dogs for mana if needed. Comment over there, theres no sound i dont think because Im not video savvy, like i said, its my first. Take a look.

Thanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]