Diablo® III

Plague Bats: Thoughts and Techniques

Damage is slow at first, but can increase over time to a maximum of 578% weapon damage as Poison."

It takes 3 seconds for it to build to max damage. Half the damage is done immediately, the other half hits as as a dot divided over 3 seconds. After 3 seconds you do full damage until you stop channeling -- and your damage continues for 3 more seconds.

The dudes name was Nubtro, he calculated how the damage works. Link.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568377461?page=4#61

Good stuff - we could really use a summary, though. I read/re-read/re-read trying to understand it.

Honestly, I didn't get that half the damage is front loaded. Unless I misread it, the damage appears to work like this:

Each damage stack does 270% weapon damage.

You can get up to 5 damage stacks depending on how long you channel the skill.
How quickly you get 5 stacks is based on your attack speed.
From his examples, it appears that with:
1.0 aps you get 5 stacks in 2.2 seconds
1.5 aps you get 5 stacks in 1.4 seconds
2.0 aps you get 5 stacks in 1.2 seconds

How fast each stack does its damage is based on how high your attack speed is.

From his examples it appears that with
1.0 aps you get the 270% damage over 5.25 seconds
1.5 aps you get the 270% damage over 3.75 seconds
2.0 aps you get the 270% damage over 2.75 seconds
2.5 aps you get the 270% damage over 2.75 seconds
3.0 aps you get the 270% damage over 2 seconds
Reply Quote
^That testing was done pre-patch. I haven't seen Nubtro touch plague bats post patch.
Reply Quote
07/17/2013 10:01 AMPosted by Surijak
^That testing was done pre-patch. I haven't seen Nubtro touch plague bats post patch.

Oh ok, I thought that might be it as I'd heard something about attack speed scaling of damage being nerfed before release but wasn't sure if that applied to plague bats.

If that's the case, does anyone know, then, how it really works?
Reply Quote
For our purposes you can assume that attack speed will let you hit max damage faster like it does for CoB. The question is if it is cycling any faster, and we will have to experiment with that.

I have been meaning to try it to get a definite answer.
Reply Quote
For our purposes you can assume that attack speed will let you hit max damage faster like it does for CoB. The question is if it is cycling any faster, and we will have to experiment with that.

I have been meaning to try it to get a definite answer.

Funny you say that, but wasn't that exactly what was removed before 1.08? I thought Cloud of Bats attack speed increasing the ramp up was not in any more. Attack speed increases the damage, but not the speed at which it ramps up.

I could certainly be wrong, but that's how I thought CoB worked.
Reply Quote
In another thread they say you are right about CoB. They also say AS just improves PB ramp up time.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 7/17/2013 8:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone else use Soul Harvest w/ dmg rune with PB?

Obviously the Int it provides is great for more dmg and Resists, but that extra burst of dmg w/ lifesteal has saved me a few times when battling knock-back/vortex elites. If I'm in a large enough trash mob at the time it can heal from almost nothing to almost full life.
Reply Quote
Anyone else use Soul Harvest w/ dmg rune with PB?

Obviously the Int it provides is great for more dmg and Resists, but that extra burst of dmg w/ lifesteal has saved me a few times when battling knock-back/vortex elites. If I'm in a large enough trash mob at the time it can heal from almost nothing to almost full life.

Not with PB, but COB most definitely. Running into a big group then popping soul harvest is an instant heal.
Reply Quote
Not with PB, but COB most definitely. Running into a big group then popping soul harvest is an instant heal.

What would you suggest using instead? I like all the extra dmg it provides me and in large trash mobs I'm spamming it every 2 seconds on mp8.

Should I keep Soul Harvest but use a different rune? Or would a completely different skill be more beneficial?
Reply Quote
SH is great for all builds. Run into the group and let it rip, then throw your main attack.
Reply Quote
07/18/2013 02:06 AMPosted by WhatsUpChuck

What would you suggest using instead? I like all the extra dmg it provides me and in large trash mobs I'm spamming it every 2 seconds on mp8.

Should I keep Soul Harvest but use a different rune? Or would a completely different skill be more beneficial?

No I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was saying that I don't run Plague Bats, but I do run it in Cloud of Bats and it is amazing. I'm sure it's equally good with PB.

So, no, keep the rune. I don't think the other runs comes close, esp in 1.08 where you can cast it like mad.
Reply Quote
I wanted to pop in and say that I did some testing using an Act 3 Demonic Ballista. Even with an immovable target and striping myself of all crit chance gear the damage still fluctuates a bit, from what I can tell the dot stacks up to 5 times (sometimes it seemed like I got more than 5). Regardless, I don't think PB can sustain the full damage on a single target, there is a limit on how much it can stack. Attack speed did not seem to change the stack limit (wouldn't expect it to).

What I would take from this is the following:
1) It is better to spread the dot on multiple targets than to sit on a single target.
2) It is a valid tactic to ramp up PB to 5 stacks and then switch to bears if you can sustain the mana like some have suggested.
Edited by Wachati#1647 on 7/18/2013 10:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/18/2013 10:46 PMPosted by Wachati
2) It is a valid tactic to ramp up PB to 5 stacks and then switch to bears if you can sustain the mana like some have suggested.

Huh?
Casting PB for 3 secs may require 400-500 mana. Wouldn't it be better to just cast bears all the way?
Other than using PB through walls and obstacles using the same positioning style as Bears, I don't see how else it can earn a slot in the toolbar if I am to go the Bear path.

Hose spray for lifesteal? I might as well use Devouring Swarm to power my Bears.
Reply Quote

Huh?
Casting PB for 3 secs may require 400-500 mana. Wouldn't it be better to just cast bears all the way?
Other than using PB through walls and obstacles using the same positioning style as Bears, I don't see how else it can earn a slot in the toolbar if I am to go the Bear path.

Hose spray for lifesteal? I might as well use Devouring Swarm to power my Bears.

No. PB for 3 - 5 seconds (to ramp it up - your attack speed will in general dictate how long you need to ramp it up) then bear for like 5 seconds then rotate back to PB if needed etc. If you position right bears will do huge damage along with the PB DOT. Its hard to explain it you have to test it out yet if you can single stream bears with your PB rotation its huge damage. The hard part with adding bears into a PB build is you have to build around OOM issues more then COB. That means usually using a bear reduction SOJ (but hey vs elites your rare is not going to outdamge the SOJ anyway) and also getting mana and or Regen on your mojo if you are using a 1h + mojo setup (+ you will need to use 4 piece Zuni). As you use the build you will figure out what you need to improve to sustain the mana. I do a lot of PBing for full ramp up then switch to bears after I position for another 5 seconds then switch back and ramp up PB again if needed or if I get walled, etc. yet I also have my Mit pretty high so I can stand in bad areas longer then a lot of WD'rs.
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 7/19/2013 4:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Or you can do the WoS/RoE skill set and pair that with PB like I use.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gcidXU!cfe!ZbZcYa

WoS compliments PB because it is a good ranged target killer, it doesn't need to be aimed, will go through walls, hits very hard esp. when you put all 4 spirits on one target, and with RoE and Zuni 4 set there is no going OoM.
So it is great for when you get reset or have to move and throw.
Reply Quote
^ this to works well.

Just a note: If you are working bears into a PB build you have to do everything you can to work out mana issues just like you did before with bears. Its not going to be a cheap build since you will have to get -BR gears and mana regeneration and work it into whatever Attack speed you are going to use. The hardest part is getting your gears in tune with the attack speed you choose and the (-bear reduction and mana regeneration gears). Also you pretty much are stuck with 4 piece zuni's set and not 3 or 2 piece like COB users can get away with and still not have severe mana management issues.

The build is not for everyone yet if you were a bear lover and position freak its a super fun build. WOS/ROE also work well if you are fans of those combined with PB instead of bears. Thats the fun of WD'rs, we have many viable builds rather then a couple cookie cutter builds and nothing else works near as well.

:P
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 7/19/2013 4:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://youtu.be/e4_Ia-s3mGU

Heres my plague bats and grasp build. Watch the dot. Im not geared awesomest or anything. Im doing mp7 just for the extra HP on mobs, i usually just do mp6 because of luck >.> Enjoy. Its morph of infinite bears build, no bears, just the dogs for mana if needed. Comment over there, theres no sound i dont think because Im not video savvy, like i said, its my first. Take a look.

Thanks!

take a look at my build and profile. i have 30K less DPS than you but i am comfortably farming MP9. SOLO.
Edited by theStrobist#1321 on 7/19/2013 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Or you can do the WoS/RoE skill set and pair that with PB like I use.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gcidXU!cfe!ZbZcYa

WoS compliments PB because it is a good ranged target killer, it doesn't need to be aimed, will go through walls, hits very hard esp. when you put all 4 spirits on one target, and with RoE and Zuni 4 set there is no going OoM.
So it is great for when you get reset or have to move and throw.

Curious - on a build like that, do you prefer Spirit Vessel simply because of the death prevention? I would think other than that, Grave Injustice would reduce those cooldowns much quicker.
Reply Quote
SV cools down SW, SH, and Horrify and is not dependent on trash kills to work. Plus you have the defensive life saving effect.

I have never liked GI as it isn't available when you need it most in elite fights.

The cool down times are only an issue in elite and boss fights in my build, and that's why I use SV.
Reply Quote
Funny when I run 0Dog, that's the passive I miss the most - I love spamming Soul Harvest since it doesn't take an attack turn.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]