Diablo® III

Diablo 3 vs Path of Exile

07/05/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Gix
I agree with many of the non-POE folks. I love me some dungeon crawlers, rogue-likes and diablo clones, but the skill tree for POE is definitely not for me and is the #1 reason why I have no interest in playing it. It screams "Shallow".

Shallow? You're not quite there if you want to make the impression that PoE requires less thinking than D3. If anything PoE screams "COMPLICATED!!!"

Basically, PoE requires much more planning and forethought than D3, saying otherwise such as PoE is shallow is trying to make a lie sound truthful. Not that more complicated is automatically better either, just different strokes for different folks.
Edited by RockSalt#1639 on 7/19/2013 9:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
...did someone seriously just call the skill tree "shallow"?.
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 04:44 PMPosted by Retloclive
...did someone seriously just call the skill tree "shallow"?.

PoE's skill tree isn't anythign complicated, but D3 isn't anywhere close to anything simple nor anythign complicated.
Reply Quote
Its not super complicated to someone who has played PoE A LOT. If you haven't played it much yet then please don't assume that its not complicated because you can make a ton of interesting builds with it, far more than you might think by first inspecting it. The passive tree synergizes well with the uniques and skill gems allowing for things people don't see coming and perhaps weren't even intended by the developers.

I haven't played D3 in a long time but I don't see how it could have anywhere near the complexity that PoE has.
Reply Quote
07/18/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Seeders
Blizzard is still supporting D3

If you call 1 patch every 6 months "support", i feel sorry for you.

Meanwhile, GGG continues to provide weekly/bi-weekly patches with game changing updates. Not to mention daily races and cutthroat events (World PvP! What a concept..).

While I'm not really familiar with Alkaizer

Google "Alkaizer Run D3". He was the first to paragon 100.

Sorry, but anyone giving D3 a shred of respect while criticizing PoE are completely blind.

Don't forget that these games have totally different business models. D3 is buy to play, they won't get much more money buy patching the game every other week. POE is f2p, constant updates keeps people engaged and keeps them spending money in the cash shop.
People seem to forget this as their expectations are sort of unrealistic. But perhaps blizzard is also to blame for using an outdated business model?
Reply Quote
I had played D3 from start too, it's ok. But it is NO D2 LoD successor. PoE is by far FAR closer to the Diablo series than D3.

I played WoW a lot too, it's an awesome game just like D2LoD. Thing is they turned the Diablo series far too much like WoW gameplay. Frankly I'd rather play WoW, From my experience WoW is by far more fun than D3; D3 is a whole lot less fun than D2 and WoW and D2 are much the same. That is my formula.
Reply Quote
This is obviously an opinion based thing.
Then there is haters that overexagerates when it comes loads of different things within the games. People want the game that they play to get bigger/have problems in their lives and are putting off steam writing in discussions like this.
Edited by dAddey#2601 on 10/18/2013 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I play POE in short bursts. I was really hoping they would drastically overhaul the graphics and combat, as that tends to be what causes me to get bored.

I had fun today playing on the new hardcore ladder. I'm sure I'll die before getting to merciless, but I don't mind staying in the softcore version after that. I can still run hardcore races when I want to get that thrill.
Reply Quote
07/05/2013 04:12 AMPosted by Kil
PoE really lacks casual appeal. It probably won't ever be amazingly popular. The races / ladders are great though, really the best part of the game as a whole. That's the kind of stunning innovation D3 should've had.

Last post i saw from GGG devs their playerbase has reached 3 million, so basically PoE has become more popular then D3, and im a casual player and it appeals to me alot, i can go out and play for a little bit and find some orbs, or some new skill gems or support gems, im always finding something new and i find it rewarding, when i play D3 all i find is gold, and 50-100k gold each farming runs really gets me nothing, except maybe crafting 1 amulet that will probably roll crappy stats and be worthless since its BOA.
Reply Quote
x2

i just played POE, i was going to make a run in diablo 3 but since i saw it free on steam i give it a try and, honestly i found it a lot better than diablo 3, i just forgot that i wanted to make a run in diablo 3 and now i have to go to sleep good night! xD
Reply Quote
Well some people like it, some people don't, all I know is that poE is stealing a lot of the former Diablo fanbase and now the game is been played by way more people than D3, that is a fact.

For a 20+ small dev team to have successfully made a game that would put Blizzard to shame, I say GG.
Edited by Yoomazir#2905 on 10/25/2013 1:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As a Regal Supporter, I've been playing PoE since they officially launched this week, and I have to say... it seems like GGG have fixed all the things about their game that bugged me, improved on the things that I liked, and added a bunch of cool new stuff since I'd played last. Way fun. Sorry, Blizz, but D3 may have just basically lost me for good.
Reply Quote
There is no denying that POE is experiencing a user boom right now, but it just came out of beta and is featured on freakin' Steam right now. Of course a lot of people are playing it.

Do you remember how well D3 did for the first few weeks of launch? Massive amounts of people were playing, then tapered off over time.

They will only "put D3 to shame" if they can maintain a higher regular user player base in the long term. Given what I have seen of the game so far I am not convinced that will be the case. A successful niche game is what POE will most likely be in the long term.

I do applaud them though. The game is quite fun.

Back to my original point though,,, some of you people have seriously short term memories.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/25/2013 01:05 AMPosted by Yoomazir
Well some people like it, some people don't, all I know is that poE is stealing a lot of the former Diablo fanbase and now the game is been played by way more people than D3, that is a fact.

Or some are playing both games. Like me.

I don't understand this Highlander attitude that there can only be one.
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Magik
PoE really lacks casual appeal. It probably won't ever be amazingly popular. The races / ladders are great though, really the best part of the game as a whole. That's the kind of stunning innovation D3 should've had.

Last post i saw from GGG devs their playerbase has reached 3 million, so basically PoE has become more popular then D3, and im a casual player and it appeals to me alot, i can go out and play for a little bit and find some orbs, or some new skill gems or support gems, im always finding something new and i find it rewarding, when i play D3 all i find is gold, and 50-100k gold each farming runs really gets me nothing, except maybe crafting 1 amulet that will probably roll crappy stats and be worthless since its BOA.

3 million active players? I doubt it.

3 million accounts, including alts? Likely.

It's still very successful.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 12:34 PMPosted by Ryaskybird

Isn't it bizarre?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/25/2013 04:56 PMPosted by FrodoFragins

3 million active players? I doubt it.

3 million accounts, including alts? Likely.

It's still very successful.

I also highly doubt that PoE has three million concurrent players. It's as you say: probably three million accounts in total--which, while nowhere near D3's 12 million at launch, is still very good for an indie developer.

In any event, I hope GGG continues being successful because more good games will only benefit the gaming community.

10/25/2013 05:22 PMPosted by CompleatWych

Isn't it bizarre?

Totally strange.
Reply Quote
I've been playing Path of Exile for a couple days now. It's not bad.
There are some things that I think put it above Diablo III. I like certain aspects of the Skill system, though the fact that Skill Gems can be hard to find is a bit of a detriment.
The combat system isn't quite as smooth as Diablo III, and some of the Skill aren't balanced all that well (zookeeper builds are a great example of that).
The graphics are .... different. Gear that drops on the ground is really hard to see, they've tried for a more realistic approach but everything seems stretched out; taller and thinner than it should be. The summoned zombies weep copious amounts of blood continuously; which I find particularly annoying.
The spell effects are decent and I like the lighting effects.
While I appreciate the randomizing of each zone, the fact that it can randomize zones that I've previously cleared that gaming session I find extremely annoying as well.

I'd give it a B+
Diablo III, on release, I didn't rate Diablo III much higher; but I did think it was a better game overall. If you're sick of Diablo III, by all means play Path of Exile. It's a solid game with a lot of promise. But I wouldn't expect anyone to be blown away by it.
Reply Quote
important!

Ghost ive read first one and and i think you are right and i have a post about spec tree in game

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/552086

in here i try to say its idiotic and time consuming but fan boys just do not listen and just see yourselves, there are ppl who prefers to customize their character in a very long time instead of focusing on hunting!

i dont know man, poe is not bad game but its just raw and it needs time, its just not fair to be stuck at all those gem link thingies and passive tree is horrible.
Reply Quote
If anything I wish we combine aspects of D3 and POE to get an even better game. I much prefer D3's combat over POE. I prefer POE's Customization/Itemization over D3. That's just me though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]