Diablo® III

Diablo 3 vs Path of Exile

in here i try to say its idiotic and time consuming but fan boys just do not listen and just see yourselves, there are ppl who prefers to customize their character in a very long time instead of focusing on hunting!

i dont know man, poe is not bad game but its just raw and it needs time, its just not fair to be stuck at all those gem link thingies and passive tree is horrible.

Hiya Zozo,

Straight away I will state I am a POE fan (not D3 hater so much) and this reply will hopefully be constructive/informative without the POE v D3 BS. :)

There are a lot of mis-conceptions about POE’s Passive Skill Tree. People say it is filled with mostly meaningless options. People think it should be more powerful. People confuse the tree as representing “Skill” and then relate the word “Skill” to “Talents” like you’ve referred to in your POE forum post. That’s all cool. Players are used to generic terms like “Skill” and “Talent” across all sorts of games. They habitually apply them to POE without stopping to think about it in depth.

You see the key words in POE aren’t “Skill”… it is “Passive” and “Active”. Effectively the “Passive Skill Tree” represents the passive points characters would normally receive when levelling in other character crafting games (RPGs, ARPGS and some MMOs). D2 facilitated this by granting you 5 passive points to spend per level on your main attributes. Many modern ARPGS have thought this level of detail to be mundane for modern gamers. They’ve hidden that control so that character classes are auto-allocated these attribute allocations. POE has taken the other approach: granting players even more control to a character’s passive modifiers. Not only their base attributes, but also other passive modifiers like offensive, defensive options or special unique abilities.

The true “Talent” or “Skill” or “Ability” side of the character comes from POE’s “Active Skills”, which via the skill gem items.

These foundation features (and everything else in the game) are basically items that can be modified. A ‘character’ is an item with modifiers (mostly via the Passive Tree). Active Skill Gems can be modified by linking to Supporting Gems. Then there is weapons, armour, maps etc that can be obviously modified.

The beauty of POE’s game model then is… they can more easily alter the game world without breaking things. Want to add a new “Active Skill” (ala Talent): add it as an in-game gem item that any player/class can use. Want to delete an old “Active Skill”: remove the gem item without breaking characters, because they can easily use other skills and all their passive choices are stored in the Passive Skill Tree.

Grinding Gear Games have created a model that allows the game to grow and evolve with minimal disruption to the underlying game. They can modify it at will without totally breaking things. If players find OP things they can easily scale things back. It is a model that allows for years of evolution with minimal support.

Finally, as for the players focusing on crafting their characters instead of item hunting… character crafting is precisely what RPG stands for in Role Playing Game. D3 lost focus of this as it focused on loot, which is all good. D3 was a great game to play for the short term, like Borderlands 2 or Mass Effect, but the lack of RPG elements caused a lot of those fans to move on. These fans enjoy planning characters. They enjoy thinking about them when they’re not in game, when they’re trying to sleep, ride the bus or sit at school/work. They plan possibilities and try them in game. They find some great item and see an entire build forming around it. The hope to come up with that awesome combo that someone else hasn’t found yet or just for the laughs. Those feelings resonate with the players a lot longer than finding <GOLDY ITEM> on my Nth grind session.

You don’t have to appreciate POE’s passive tree for what it is. That’s all cool. Everyone has their own expectations and preferences for what they want from a game.

Cheers and happy hunting mate.
Reply Quote
Hello and thanks for reply, but i dont think its easy to change skills in poe like you said

" Want to delete an old “Active Skill”: remove the gem item without breaking characters, because they can easily use other skills and all their passive choices are stored in the Passive Skill Tree."

i watch ppl at twitch, they use many jewelers orb to find a proper socket bundle on the item when they want to use another skill. And when it comes to diversity, you still can not play a ranger like a witch in this game too, if you try this you will see your character wont be doing any good... For example if you focus on supporting you have to give on certain passives to be effective.

At first sight it seems cool to be able to use a cleave with witch or ranger but it is not. You remember how WoW evolved this? Ppl used to give talents 1 by 1 when they lvl up but then suddenly it has changed to a great point and user-friendly. As a warrior if you choose protection build it gives you talents you already need so you cant do any errors here!

But in poe s passive tree you have to work a lot on it, but its still cool AS LONG AS we are able to change it whenever we want imo.

When i play 2 hours of D3 i change my skills 2-3 times and i like to play with different kinds even in this 2-3 hours. So for now everything seems to be ok even in this scene but what after im 80-90 lvl? To be honest i dont even think i can make a lvl 80 char like that doing the same things all the time.

As a suggestion, at least they can grant every character 4-5 different skill sets so that we can change to one from other when we are bored, wouldnt it be nice?

But i tell you, when ppl started to get bored of it GGG will have to think something else and imo it ll be something paid (hopefully not) like; a second skill set! or a full skill respec! and i am still ok to buy those bundles as i like many elements of the game.

And not to mention, you did see how they hurl themselves on me at their forum site right? All "eternal supporter", "gold supporter", "diamond supporter" guys. I could not belive how they became *** supporter with that attitute!
Reply Quote
I totally agree with OP. The only thing that holds me back is the graphics :(

Its like in POE you can also use your brain for something..
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 05:18 AMPosted by Zozo
And not to mention, you did see how they hurl themselves on me at their forum site right? All "eternal supporter", "gold supporter", "diamond supporter" guys. I could not belive how they became *** supporter with that attitute!

To be fair to PoE, that has got nothing to do with the game. Those supporters are the ones who invested money into the game, so of course they will be biased. They wouldn't give money if they thought the game didn't deserve it now would they?

I agree with most of what you say. PoE's passive tree is quite unique, but it is let down by player skills being so closely tied to gear which limits flexibility so much until its not really that much better than D3. I stopped playing PoE after realising that all my characters were spamming the same skills for almost their entire career.
Reply Quote
Ive played both games so far, with the same concept as is end game is to only gear grinding, I reallly like the passive tree on POE makes your character unique from other even if your spamming same skills all over, you may spam same skills but you got diff support gems attached to them, you can try diff combination of it. Really like how POE doesnt rely on cookie cutter builds like d3 which only uses several builds..

I really hope they do something about this on expansion, I like the graphics on d3 alot than POE, but on gameplay I think POE wins hands down especially the new things on release and UPDATES every week
Reply Quote
11/04/2013 08:02 PMPosted by schulz
you may spam same skills but you got diff support gems attached to them, you can try diff combination of it.

The problem with this is I can't just switch skills or support gems because I need to find correct gear with the socket and links.
Early game is fine, but in the endgame finding gear with good stats on top of the correct sockets is not easy, since item drops in PoE aren't that much better than D3. Either that or take a risk and use chromatic orbs and what not to change the sockets.

This is what I meant by PoE being so gear dependent, similar to D3.

11/04/2013 08:02 PMPosted by schulz
Really like how POE doesnt rely on cookie cutter builds like d3 which only uses several builds..

PoE lategame does have some cookie cutter builds. I mean there is some variation thanks to the passive tree, but most major Passive keystones are the same for those builds.

D3 has tons of skill variations, too bad most of them are non-viable at the higher MPs. Hopefully, RoS will do something about this.
Reply Quote
If PoE and D3 can switch the details in textures and be rid the gold, that'll probley make it better. Playing d2lod then moving onto d3 it has changed way to much and seems to ME that it lacks the ability to do trades with people that was fun in d2lod. runes jewels charms gems and weapons/rings/ammys was all fun currency. not gold................gold was just used to repair items....imo But PoE i like it because it has the appeal of d2 with outstanding graphics and the skills can be found and used and if you want a different skill you didnt have to worry about loosing points into a skill tree.

i tried the starter edition of d3 and the graphics dont look to appealing to me,it lacks the vividness, i even set everything on high and still no amazement.
Reply Quote
Please don't compare Path of Exile and Diablo 3.Both games have their Pros and Cons.No game is perfect.Plus,Blizzard Company doesn't even know that GGG is going to create a game like POE and Blizzard Company also doesn't even know how POE is going to work.You guys said that POE or Torchligh 2 is better? Want to know why? That's because since the released of Diablo 1,Diablo 2,and Diablo 3,I believed that other game developers have tried the game.And I also believe they beat the game many times.For what? To find what Diablo game lacks or its imperfection part.They study the Diablo games carefully.Once they found what Diablo lacks,they create a solution.And that's where a game like Torchlight and POE was created.A game like Diablo but with more better mechanism,better gameplay or simply put,an IMPROVISATION.
Diablo is original(correct me if i am wrong).Blizzard create Diablo without copying from any other game but their original idea.(correct me if i am wrong).Believe me guys,if there's going to be Diablo 4,it will be better than POE or Torchlight and you will remember it 4 ever.
Reply Quote

Finally, as for the players focusing on crafting their characters instead of item hunting… character crafting is precisely what RPG stands for in Role Playing Game. D3 lost focus of this as it focused on loot, which is all good. D3 was a great game to play for the short term, like Borderlands 2 or Mass Effect, but the lack of RPG elements caused a lot of those fans to move on. These fans enjoy planning characters. They enjoy thinking about them when they’re not in game, when they’re trying to sleep, ride the bus or sit at school/work. They plan possibilities and try them in game. They find some great item and see an entire build forming around it. The hope to come up with that awesome combo that someone else hasn’t found yet or just for the laughs. Those feelings resonate with the players a lot longer than finding <GOLDY ITEM> on my Nth grind session.

You don’t have to appreciate POE’s passive tree for what it is. That’s all cool. Everyone has their own expectations and preferences for what they want from a game.

Cheers and happy hunting mate.

^
Edited by Goose#1371 on 11/14/2013 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
PoE played like Diablo 2 with upscaled graphics.. This is what i wanted Diablo III to be, but it wasn't
Reply Quote
03/01/2014 01:56 AMPosted by SkyWarp
The latest expansion for POE is epic. It's hard to believe they release an expansion every 4 months with so much stuff in it.

The best part is, it's a mini-expansion. For free. You get less content in a paid full-expansion for Diablo III, and why people are willing to settle for that is beyond me...
Edited by Espionage724#1903 on 3/2/2014 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
I couldn't agree less.
Maybe this post is specific to D3 prior to the latest patch, but I found PoE a real chore to play. Clunky, unsatisfying and a plethora of choices.. that amounted at end-game to nothing.

Prefer Titan Quest (Actually I really do prefer TQ, to PoE) and D3 is now bounds better.
Smooth to play, combat is satisfying, drops now make sense. Play through maybe 10-12 times prior to patch and will do at least double tat.

As for the cost? 300 hours for £75? (game plus 1st expansion) That's a bargain.

Rather pay for something good, than suffer something second rate for free
Edited by Scritty#2868 on 3/11/2014 3:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/11/2014 03:14 AMPosted by Scritty
I couldn't agree less.
Maybe this post is specific to D3 prior to the latest patch, but I found PoE a real chore to play. Clunky, unsatisfying and a plethora of choices.. that amounted at end-game to nothing.

Prefer Titan Quest (Actually I really do prefer TQ, to PoE) and D3 is now bounds better.
Smooth to play, combat is satisfying, drops now make sense. Play through maybe 10-12 times prior to patch and will do at least double tat.

As for the cost? 300 hours for £75? (game plus 1st expansion) That's a bargain.

Rather pay for something good, than suffer something second rate for free

PoE is only a "chore" when a player does'n't like to plan and "THINK" about allocating skills. That type of player, like yourself will only be limited to express that PoE is something second rate.

Truth is, if a player wants to play a successor to D2, play PoE. If a player wants to imagine they''re playing the successor to D2 (but is seduced by WoW gameplay), tell everyone they're playing something good rather than suffering.
Reply Quote
07/05/2013 04:12 AMPosted by Kil
PoE really lacks casual appeal. It probably won't ever be amazingly popular. The races / ladders are great though, really the best part of the game as a whole. That's the kind of stunning innovation D3 should've had.

I disagree Path of exile is fine for casual play aswell even with the insane talent tree its quite good and easy to deal with you may pick some talents that isent to good overall, but you get a few respec pts during the game story line, And many more just from gearing up so its not to big a problem.

However if your like the new generation who barely bother read the items before equip it and needs a game to tell you if its an actual upgrade with not only the numbers shown but green and red color to indicate if you should equip it then Path of exile wont be your game.
Edited by Iflon#2539 on 6/27/2014 10:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Such necro. Wow. Many lock.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]