Diablo® III

Coming to a Wiz from DH.

I made a new wiz.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/The47thSen-6728/hero/33464798

I'm not really sure what to do with her right now. It's my first time playing anything besides a DH so I'm feeling rather lost as to what's even possible with the class. I have read the build sticky but all the acronyms confuse me. SNS, CM, WW, Archon, etc. I didn't even know Archon was a skill until I made her. I'd thought Archon wizards were those using a full archon set or something.

Anyway as you may see, most of my equipment is crafted because I was exploring the idea of an all crafts character. Whatever isn't crafted was gifted from friends. I crafted a few wands and sources but they weren't particularly good. For the time being, I would like to stick to using crafted gear. I'm not sure about the weapons yet. I don't like HF rings so I'll be getting regular rings for her.

Could anyone provide any advice as to what kind of affixes I should be trying to get in my crafts or any particular plans to recommend? Some Gehennas pants or the Demon's Skin set maybe?

Wizard hat or helm?
Or maybe even this
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/guardians-watch
to go with this for the vit and regen bonus.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/guardians-scabbard

Skills wise, I'm not even sure what's possible with crafted gear. I'm guessing a freeze-wiz is out of the question. I named her after an apprentice fire mage with the intention of building one, but hadn't realised the dearth of fire related spells in the class.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
For now:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/84199-guide-wizard-gear-guide/

Any lingo you don't understand, there's a link in there to a mini dictionary I created to help you out.

Read through it and get an idea. After that, ask away about gameplay mechanics and whatnot and you'll be on your way.

I'm an Archon wizard, by the way. Part-time SNS, SS, what have you, but 95-99% of my play time is in Archon form.
Reply Quote
View profile
Wizard hat or helm?
Or maybe even this
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/guardians-watch
to go with this for the vit and regen bonus.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/guardians-scabbard

It worries me that you want to use items that I've never heard of...guardians foreskin, what?

Rare hat, storm crow, mempo, hell--even a tal's helm better than that thing.

Belt: WH or tals or innas, or if you absolutely need a bunch of EHP on your belt for some reason, blackthorns or rare.
Reply Quote
View profile
I'm still testing builds, but just to give you a heads up, there are a lot of useless skills.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister
everything but ww will not hit, similar to how you can play with serpentine (chakram)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/familiar
attacks once per second, unlike companion, they don't even try to aim.

and passives (the problem in every class)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
I'm still testing builds, but just to give you a heads up, there are a lot of useless skills.

everything but ww will not hit, similar to how you can play with serpentine (chakram)

Useless?

1. Energy Twister is one of the centerpieces for nearly every "Overpowered" wizard build that exists so far in this game. And WW? WW is the go-to rune for ET that players use to trigger Critical Mass, which is again, one of the centerpieces for every "Overpowered" wizard build in the game. Mistral Breeze and Stormchaser also have their uses, but not to the extent of WW.

2. Familiar? You should have specified other runes for Familiar, because Sparkflint, with its 12% bonus damage to all attacks, is the go-to DPS buff other than Magic Weapon. You don't use Familiar's actual attack as offense, unless you want to utilize Sparkflint with Conflagration.

3. The only "useless" passives I can think of is Power Hungry (against APoC), Prodigy, and Paralysis, though there are several "fun" builds that are built around those passives. The others see a ton of use; Temporal Flux for some non-Cold Blooded Archon builds, or those centered on Arcane Torrent, not to mention the vast majority of wizard spells are already arcane based. Glass Cannon, Cold Blooded, Blur, Evocation, Critical Mass, Unstable Anomaly are all self-explanatory and have their own uses, though they could see tweaks for greater diversity. Then there's Galvanizing Ward, which is niche for extended Archon builds, Illusionist for many kite builds and PvP builds, Astral Presence for players who wish to only stack partial APoC especially in Sleet Storm builds... should I continue?

You might still be "testing builds," but you need to do some more homework.
Reply Quote

haha..jaetch is right..

the skills you've mentioned are actually superior to most DH's skills in terms of proc rate and added bonus..

Companions for DH are normally used for the added bonus, for it being GF, hatred regen, or ehp. Similarly, every almost archon runs sparkflint to improve dps

Aside from WW, wizards were using Storm Chaser to proc CM during 104. It is just that WW is too op atm.

Using WW is probably the best way to proc CM for Archon cool down, but this usually leads to decrease in dps / ehp due to APOC requirements
Edited by Killua#1993 on 7/6/2013 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Is it me or many people are quitting the DH to re-roll a Wizard? :P
Reply Quote
07/06/2013 07:22 PMPosted by shndany

Nah, not just wizard, barbs, monks, wd...really anything and everything...

except for those who refuses to believe DH is further behind...
Reply Quote
View profile
Jaetch,

How are you not just proving my point?

each rune is a skill

1. 5/6 = 83% or in your words 3/6 so 50% are useless. ET bounce off walls, so they are much much better than those charkam but still, will you use the other runes if you got ET-WW?
2. 5/6 = 83% are not being used, not a lot? might be able to use Vigoron or Ancient Guardian in some build, but that still proofs 50% are useless.
3. 3/15 = 20% passives skills are rarely used, aka 20% are useless. All the non defensive skills are pretty poor. And no one will need Astral Presence once you hit a certain cc and apoc. Same goes for Evocation. 2-3 cooldown reduction is meaningless when you can use 3-5 ww and get -25 cooldown a second. So I just make your 3 into 5 which is 33.3%.

There are only 15 passive when you have 150 active skill. I also have problem with MI and other skills, there are about 2 skills in each skill block that is not used. Is not like I need to list every single skill in this game to prove my point. I took a few popular ones and told the guy to be careful which one he should be picking. That was my point.

Homework? The only thing I really need is for some one to donate their gears to me so I can test the builds. Without the gears a lot of possibility can't be made. I'm pretty sure your wizard is not self-found like my, but as you can see the dps is much much lower then your's.

Killua,
ppl run the other ET runes in 1.04 only because they are running act3 where the crowd up area is easy for the winds to stay. Once they got enough aps and cc everyone switch to ww.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 7/6/2013 10:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
@Kirius

You weren't being specific in your post. You said "useless skills," not "useless runes."

There's a difference there. Had you said "there are a lot of useless runes," I'd totally agree with you. Instead, you say:

07/06/2013 06:55 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
there are a lot of useless skills.

And you point out the actual skills in Energy Twister and Familiar, which is a totally false statement.
Reply Quote
View profile
Is then my apology for being too vague in the beginning.

Anyways hope the OP is enjoying the class.
Reply Quote
I'm not quitting my DH, that's still my main. It's just that I've never tried any of the other classes so I thought I'd make one to break the monotony and to give crafting a try. I'm not into melee so it's either DH or wiz.

Cyntric just spent an hour going through the various builds with me and it does seem quite fun. The style's a huge departure from the stutter stepping I often do on the DH which is honestly a fresh change. It's a lot more relaxing.

I'm not very much into facetanking so the perma freeze wiz doesn't interest me that much. I quite like the archon and blizzard builds and will probably be working something along those lines. I am a little miffed that there're so few fire-based skills, and the fire passive only provides a 10% boost compared to the cold's 20%. Azaka could've been such a glorious pyromaniac.

07/06/2013 05:53 PMPosted by ChangBooster
It worries me that you want to use items that I've never heard of...guardians foreskin, what?

They're craft only items. It's nothing fantastic but it's something different from the ordinary. I was never a fan of the gear race anyway.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/84199-guide-wizard-gear-guide/

Any lingo you don't understand, there's a link in there to a mini dictionary I created to help you out.

Read through it and get an idea. After that, ask away about gameplay mechanics and whatnot and you'll be on your way.

That was immensely helpful. Thank you!
Reply Quote
07/06/2013 07:39 PMPosted by Killua

Nah, not just wizard, barbs, monks, wd...really anything and everything...

except for those who refuses to believe DH is further behind...

It's especially true for those of us who tried other classes before the RF buff.
Reply Quote
Add me and i can help ya
Reply Quote
To put it simply, if you're using mostly crafted gear, then I would not recommend going into CM/WW. Too much dependency on atkspd, which makes you dependent on the AH.

With everything you craft, you should just go Archon. It's by far the easiest build to gear for wizards, even though it does get ridiculously expensive at the higher end.
Reply Quote
:) i enjoyed it. I haven't dusted off forked lite in awhile! Yeah the lack of fire based skills sucks.. but the deal with conflagration is, it's only 10%, BUT you buff group members damage too, whereas cold blooded is you only.
Reply Quote

Killua,
ppl run the other ET runes in 1.04 only because they are running act3 where the crowd up area is easy for the winds to stay. Once they got enough aps and cc everyone switch to ww.

That's completely true. Also, i think the proc rate for that specific rune wasn't reduced at the time. (though i am not exactly sure about that)

However, i think it would still work in the current game due to the monster density.

Anyways, its a typical theme around this game where 1 rune significantly over power the rest.
Edited by Killua#1993 on 7/7/2013 5:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
To put it simply, if you're using mostly crafted gear, then I would not recommend going into CM/WW. Too much dependency on atkspd, which makes you dependent on the AH.

With everything you craft, you should just go Archon. It's by far the easiest build to gear for wizards, even though it does get ridiculously expensive at the higher end.

Thanks for the advice, this is really what I'd be hoping to hear. One of my biggest complaints with crafts right now are how they all seem to be defensive based though I suppose that's understandable consider how Inferno used to be like. I guess I just gotta work with what I've got.

I'm working the smithy to the bones right now to create a list of possible stats and affixes so I can create a theoretical max to work towards too.

The highest unbuffed DPs I've gotten out of these right now is somewhere around 65k, 700 resist and 45k hp, gems and passives excluded. I have no illusions of rocking the high MPs with this build, I'm guess MP5 might be the limit here.

07/07/2013 12:57 AMPosted by Cyntric
:) i enjoyed it. I haven't dusted off forked lite in awhile! Yeah the lack of fire based skills sucks.. but the deal with conflagration is, it's only 10%, BUT you buff group members damage too, whereas cold blooded is you only.

It was a great learning experience and I hope to run with you again when my character's ready, and if you ever need a DH to help out in any high MP runs, just let me know : )
Reply Quote
07/07/2013 12:48 AMPosted by Arctia

You're telling me. I just liquidated my DHs to roll a pair of wizards and I spent about a billion on each and I'm not even that comfortable in MP6 as Archon. I was doing MP8 no problem on my DHs in less gear. I have a lot of trouble without a good source of life steal. The little bit on my mainhands is just not cutting it. Especially on reflect damage packs.

I'm not sure what to do because I feel like for all the gold I spent I should be at least able to do MP8 without too much trouble. I feel like I have pretty good DPS and survivability but maybe I am missing something.
Reply Quote
http://d3up.com/b/839075/azaka
I updated my d3up character with the theoretical max stats and these are the specs I'll try to aim for. I probably have somethings wrong somewhere.

I set a 10m budget for each ring. Weapon and source were left as is because I'm still not sure what are good yet or if I'm going to craft those too.
Edited by The47thSen#6728 on 7/7/2013 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]