Diablo® III

Is PvP an important part of Diablo?

View profile
I am one of the (I guess many) players that consider PvP a very nice part of the Diablo series. When D1 first came out, I played it for several months, but after beating the game 50 or 60 times, the story started to become boring. What kept me on was PvP! Even farming (or Magic Find, as it was called back in D1) had the only purpose of equipping better my chars. But D1 had a major problem for PvP: chars were saved on your own local machine, allowing the emergence of several third party softwares to "edit" the chars. There was even a hack named "God Mode" that made you immortal (the variable that represented your life would simply never go down to zero). Such hacks finally ruined the game (at least for me). But then D2 came out to save the day!

As in D1, what made me keep playing D2 so long after beating the game some 100 times or more was again PvP. The same happens now with D3. I have now 6 lvl 60 chars, and that means I went through the entire game story at least 24 times (6 chars x 4 difficulty levels)! Besides, I made uncountable farming and key searching runs (not so many as some people, since I work and have a family). The purpose of all that has been (at least for me) essentially the search for better items for PvP.

Unhappily, the present version of the game is very limited in what concerns PvP. There is only FFA (Free for all) and the classes are very unbalanced. Only top geared chars have a chance not to die in one shot and PvM builds are mostly bad or totally useless for PvP. For instance, my best PvM char is a double tornado Barb, that farms at MP10 without problems, but absolutely sucks at PvP. By now my DH is the only one really fun for PvP. I have a PvP barb that still sucks and my Monk is getting better, but a well built and top equipped WD has no match (I have one, but very poorly equipped). I think Blizzard will have to do some investment here if they want the game to be a long term success as D1 and D2.

Do you think such improvements are to expect?
Edited by DerfelCadarn#1601 on 7/7/2013 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://i.imgur.com/L3TaSh9.jpg
Edited by Kefka#1278 on 7/7/2013 3:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
@kefka: lol
Reply Quote
Holy brick of text.
Reply Quote
PvP is fun in Diablo, it is even more fun in D3 because of the Call of Duty elements and the auction house.

It is imbalanced which can make it frustrating at times, but when you find a good game with evenly matched players, it becomes an action-packed match of chess. The concept of using the environment in the fight makes you think of the best way to trap your opponent before executing the finishing blow. It makes you feel like you are one with your surroundings, because you can turn a seemingly harmless landscape into a death trap while escaping into the unseen. Tricking another person is much more satisfying than tricking AI.

A big part of the game is planning a build, it provides a creative outlet and rewards innovative thinking. The forums provide opportunities for research and exchange of advice, which are essential for a successful build. This research is then implemented implemented in the auction house, where the ignorant are bilked and the knowledgeable thrive.

Brawls were ameliorated after the public search option was added. You can find a game with well-matched players much easier than before and it also got more people brawling. We can expect more additions in the future that will make brawls even better, even though it may take forever.
Reply Quote
The Devs have failed to realize the importance of PvP. The fact that they released "brawling" without even the most basic features proves this and they seem to have no intentions of developing it further. They want to make some sort of great "everyone can play" arena system which is fine, but they totally neglect the basic gear based "brawling" system which is more important IMO.
Reply Quote
View profile
The new game director stated somewhere that they do intend to make some improvements. Lets just hope so!
Reply Quote
pvp is a very important part of d3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]