Diablo® III

Self Found: MP9 SB dead, 126K dps topped

After a brief break for real life vacation stuff, back at it tonight. Ran into a 3-pull in the Fields of Slaughter. That went . . . not so well. But a few rezzes later they were behind me, and I made my way across the bridge without much incident.

Well, not much incident except for finding a Witching Hour that was a 10K dps upgrade over the Blackthorne's I was wearing. I had to sacrifice the 2-piece Blackthorne bonus I have been sporting forever (which ended up being about a 3K loss o life), but I think it was worth it. The WH even has a small amount of poison resist on it, so nice bonus there.

I actually found my second Witching Hour just a few minutes later. Terrible roll (no dex, no resist, less vitality, and some barb-only stat), but hey, finding another upgrade that soon probably would have been a little greedy.

Siegebreaker went down on my first attempt. I was a little surprised that his reflect damage did not cause any problems whatsoever. Probably a combination of having more LoH than I did when I last battled him on MP8, and I was using a spec

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UVdgTk!VUX!babYaa

which is immune to the RD for a decent portion of the time it's doing damage.

The new belt brought my (enchantress buffed) dps up to 126K, all while maintaining 5600 armor, 620 AR, and 1671 LoH. I'd like to bring my life back up above 40K (it dipped to 39K), but all things considered I'm pretty happy with my monk's balance as I head toward the end of Act III and prepare for Act IV. We'll see how they go.
Edited by overg#1771 on 7/8/2013 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice job. Keep it up!
Reply Quote
Hell. Freakin'. Yeah.

Great balance of stats across the board. Better in a few ways than my AH-abusing SC Monk's stats. Way to go!
Reply Quote
Smile every time i hear about good self found upgrades, happens way too rarely.
Reply Quote
How do SF people get a radiant star gems? I remember when i got my HC monk to Paragon 100 and i'm not even close to crafting a radiant gem...
Edited by Immortal#6907 on 7/8/2013 11:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 11:18 PMPosted by Immortal
How do SF people get a radiant star gems? I remember when i got my HC monk to Paragon 100 and i'm not even close to crafting a radiant gem...

I've actually got a radiant topaz in my stash to go along with the radiant amethyst in my helm. I'm not sure how to answer your question, other than to say I pick up and craft every gem I find, and have since release. I think I actually made the amethyst back in December or January, too, so it's not a recent craft (I cannot shake the feeling that some day the topaz will be of some use to my monk, even though I have absolutely no basis for that feeling).

To go into a little more detail and add a couple of theories to answer your question:

1. I've always picked up every gem I see, including all of the squares which used to drop in inferno. I've still got hundreds of such squares in my stash due to the fact that while Inferno used to drop squares, it never dropped Tomes of Jewelcrafting. I'll do a Hell run every so often to try to acquire some Tomes, but given I only find 5-10 in any particular run, it's an incredible slog. I've actually thought of posting a request to up the drop rates for Tomes, but I can't imagine there are many people who a) don't use the AH, and b) actually kept all of their squares.

2. At least 99% of my playtime has been without any + exp. So if you were using a ring or ruby, that might partially explain how you were able to get to Para 100 without finding enough gems.

3. RNG

I've obviously got enough perfect star emeralds to make a radiant, but I've yet to find the recipe. Sadly, I don't have any perfects beyond what I'm currently wearing, so even if I find the radiant recipe I won't be able to use it right away unless I want to exchange what I'm wearing for some amethysts (or switch a weapon to ruby) or swap in some other unsocketed gear. I haven't done the math on those options yet, as there's no real point until I'm actually faced with the decision.

What was the bottleneck to your gem progression? Was it the gems themselves, Tomes, or gold? With respect to the latter two, I pick up everything I see, and I've done very little crafting overall, so almost all of my gold and tomes were used for gem upgrades. Even with that I've been burning through tomes like mad, and have gone from having 500 in my stash down to about 130 in the past couple of months.

Edit: turns out I have a radiant ruby stashed away too. How 'bout that? On the negative side, it also turns out I have less than 50 tomes left in my stash.
Edited by overg#1771 on 7/9/2013 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It takes 729 flawless squares to make a radiant star, right? Right. Let's see what I have, expressed in terms of flawless squares:

• 629 topazes
  • 435 emeralds
  • 490 amethysts
  • 536 rubies

Some of that is just random chance. I've found a LOT of topazes, and I think I even gave a hundred or two away at one point. I also burned a lot of jewels on crafting attempts. But I just haven't had a lot of luck with emeralds, as it turns out.

Fortunately, you don't need radiant gems to handle the most difficult content.
Reply Quote
Doing very rough math (e.g. "that looks about right"), it appears your pace is fairly consistent with mine, given that I've got over twice the number of kills you do. I'm not really all that close to crafting a second radiant for any gem type. Unless they change the drop rates of gems, I don't expect to craft a marquis this calendar year.
Reply Quote
2. At least 99% of my playtime has been without any + exp. So if you were using a ring or ruby, that might partially explain how you were able to get to Para 100 without finding enough gems.

I level up my HC monk to p100 and 99% of the time without any exp gears on as well... When i first started HC i literally pick up every gems and health potions.. The gems that i haven't crafted is the Topaz and surprisingly my lifetime total of topaz gems is around 400 ( I found out the total because i just started to craft some gems for my WD) and that's including my dead P 71 monk also... Really weird, probably RNG is not kind to me with gems lol ...
Reply Quote
I level up my HC monk to p100 and 99% of the time without any exp gears on as well.

Hmmmm. Well, we definitely did something very different, as my monk has well over twice as many elite kills.as yours. Perhaps you simply spent significantly more game time with 5 stacks of NV. That increases experience gains, doesn't it?
Edited by overg#1771 on 7/10/2013 1:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Perhaps you simply spent significantly more game time with 5 stacks of NV. That increases experience gains, doesn't it?

I think it's mainly because i farm on mp 5-6 most of the time and always with a full crew on board.. Yea , i think that's why you have atleast twice as many gems as myself... Good luck with your SF character's... :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]