Diablo® III

Dark Souls.

I am enjoying my Diablo 3 vacation, playing Dark Souls. I noticed I got stuck on the endless loop of playing Diablo 3 for hours on end, finding no good items and not really being challenged. Diablo 3 is so mindless you can just throw music on, or a tv show and pay half attention to the game, only really noticing the game when a ping sound indicates your new shiny turd lands on the floor.

I found getting into other games was hard though, I just wanted to keep coming back to D3 to farm for more shiny turds. Once you break away and play a game you have been putting off for a while, you really realize how terrible Diablo 3 really is.

I know Dark Souls and Diablo 3 are not even close to the same game, but they are in the sense as each provides enjoyment. Dark Souls has gameplay satisfaction in spades, it is in fact the reason the game is well received. Make a difficult enough game where players feel accomplished.

Argh, I am sick of being reminded of how terrible Diablo 3 is. Why am I here? I want this game to be as rewarding as other games I play....
Reply Quote
d3 is what it is, a casual arpg.
Reply Quote
Dark Souls is the definitive ARPG of the modern era.

It has a rich story, great combat, plenty of darkness and a hefty, rewarding sense of gameplay.

Cheap gameplay is the kind of gameplay where you have at times, zero chance of survival. XCOM and D3 have this in common. The RNG factor is absent in Dark Souls. If you missed, you missed. It is all on you. If you thrust a spear into your opponent's face it doesn't magically miss. It lands, every time.

I've personally pleaded with other publishers, namely Bethedsa to adopt this combat system and my wants have fallen on deaf ears. Imagine Elder Scrolls game with Dark Souls combat! It would be the greatest ARPG ever made. Conversely, FROM could benefit looking at TES series in regards to world building and narrative. Not questing though. I hate the errand boy quests that are so prevalent in modern RPGs. That is another area Dark Souls does well in. You feel like a hero as your journey doesn't involve fetch me X of Y. Each objective has a real noticeable impact on the world.
Reply Quote
I purchased Dark Souls in August for PC and i´m still playing it!

This game is a pure diamond!

But this diamond is dustcovered, so you might not see his shining if you dont take your time and a special look. This game doesn´t like you, you are an unwelcome guest in the world of Lordran. Lordran wants to kill you, every freaking time, if you dont respect the merciless behaviour of the world you´re pushed into! No holding hands, and at first, no clue what to do.
But, if you learn to understand the concept of this game and beat enemys that you first thought they are impossible to kill (looking at you Ornstein and Smough^^) you get an amazing feeling of a real hero, killing his enemys with pure skill and knowledge, because you know what to do and studied your opponents behaviour.
When you go deeper and deeper in this world you realize the pure genius of it, and you like it more with every minute you´re spending in Lordran.
It reminds me of my first battles in Ninja Gaiden Black, i loved that game, it was very challenging in opposite to any other game on the market this days, the only problem for NGB was, if you finished it on Master Ninja (highest difficulty), there wasn´t much more you could do. It was an Action-Game, with little RPG-Elements.

Dark Souls on the other hand is a pure RPG with an amazing combat system.
And it has PvP! --> Very, very important!
It has a brilliant multiplayer part, where every player has his own world but can be invaded by other players who are about the same level as the invaded player or he can summon other players that help him on his journey or with the next boss.
I´ve never seen such a multiplayer part in any game i have ever played! It really scares you when you´re just in front of the next bonfire (savepoint) but you can´t activate it because someone wants to invade your world and kill you, and all of your progress and souls (exp and currency) will be gone when you´re not able to stop him!

Everyone who doesn´t know it, give it a try ;-)

07/04/2013 04:59 PMPosted by Helikzhan
I've personally pleaded with other publishers, namely Bethedsa to adopt this combat system and my wants have fallen on deaf ears. Imagine Elder Scrolls game with Dark Souls combat! It would be the greatest ARPG ever made.

In my opinion Dark Souls don´t need 1000 NPC´s and a giant world like the Elder Scrolls games!
I think the mix is just perfect, because you have your target and only a few NPC´s, and because there are so few of them and not much information on the story, if you´re not really searching for it, i really wanted to hear every word from this NPC´s that i´ve met...
The funny thing is: At first you mostly don´t understand anything that they are telling you, but when you got the big picture it all makes sense and comes together like a big puzzle - everything is connected^^

07/04/2013 04:59 PMPosted by Helikzhan
Not questing though. I hate the errand boy quests that are so prevalent in modern RPGs. That is another area Dark Souls does well in. You feel like a hero as your journey doesn't involve fetch me X of Y. Each objective has a real noticeable impact on the world.

I really like that too!
Just going through the world, helping someone and for that help he will help me. With items, spells, etc.
Fantastic!

Praise the sun!! :D
Edited by OldBoy#2656 on 7/5/2013 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Demon's Souls (PS3) is easily in my top 5 of all time fav games. I loved it so much, I raved to everyone about it, and even completed the platinum/100% trophies.

Dark Souls was fun but it didn't have the same inspiring game/level design as Demon's.

Can't wait for DS2, will get it for PS3 (for controller use) and double dip for PC later on.
Reply Quote
I thought Dark Souls was a little overrated myself. At some point I just lost interest. My thief was level 33 only, but one day I just perceived the game as a lot of time spent grinding, backtracking, and memorization of combat patterns. Suddenly it just seemed overly mechanical to me, and getting into a game session, and making decent progress, was not something you could do with just 30 minutes or an hour. With time being precious nowadays, that's a big deal.
Reply Quote
I was playing dark souls last night (Steam summer sale!) and was having a blast getting my !@# kicked while learning how humanity, leveling and all that works. It has great depth, certainly a good game. But it's style of gameplay is very different.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]